time (resized).jpg
E80C964D-8118-46D4-A007-4C236BA28060 (resized).png
GIF MADE.gif
60a375016d8f5d0975c69c4233a62dccad4633dd.gif
2uphbe.jpg
32DE70F2-C0F6-40F6-B75F-DB3E629FE499.gif
hqdefault (resized).jpg
E69EFC9F-7A10-4EB4-A070-C841725A05F0 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmister.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has expired, so this topic closed automatically.

#176 5 years ago

Still scratch my head trying to understand why people think prototype or sample games are worth more money? May have slightly different art, etc.-Who really cares about this stuff? It is like someone has a prototype game and says to someone-"Look what I have-it's a prototype because the boards are red and has hand writing". Who gives a flying F*@! Are people really interested or impressed with this stuff? Scratching my head

-Pinside price police just showed up

PPP.jpgPPP.jpg
#178 5 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

I think they arrived 175 posts ago. . .

Shit I did not read through all the post-just know someone had to call them-ummm dispatch we have a TTBPO420 here.

TTBPO420-'Trying to bend people over-420'

#182 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

They are buying into the story and history of the piece... not because it's a better pinball machine

Ok so you are buying into a story or history of a game. My question is why? Why buy a game for it's history, so you can brag to friends(who probably don't care or see the relevance) about where it came from or where it has been. It makes absolutely no sense to me when it comes to a pinball machine-maybe a car or something else-but a pinball machine? Again scratching my head because I just don't get it. I would not even pay a premium for a game that someone famous once owned-again who gives a crap? I only pay a premium based on condition-Condition is king in my book.

#189 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Its a different type of collecting - obviously not what you are into

Yes I call it artificial collecting-meaning it means nothing to me.

The only way I would see a value in a prototype or sample game is if the gameplay is different from production models.

Different strokes for different folks

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-deal-with-prototypes-and-whitewoods#post-4062417

#192 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Why do people pay a premium for unmolested barn find cars instead of restored pristine ones?
Why do people pay for a simple handwriting example from a dead person?

People pay a premium for an unmolested barn find car because it is probably a rare car, with lower miles, etc. Again condition and rarity-but not a prototype.

People pay a premium for a handwriting from a famous person because they have a connection with that person or they want something to put on a shelf to show off to others.

It is different with pinball, if the OP invited me into his home and showed off his prototype TZ-I would shrug my shoulders and say "Meh" does not look to be in that good of condition, especially for being an HUO machine-Doh' I would offer him $7000 for a TZ in that shape-I guess I am only $58,000 short. Maybe I can do a go fund me for $58,000 to help a delusional collector buy a prototype TZ? I think the pinball community is way too small to consider the "history of pinball" as a tangible valuable asset.

#194 5 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

There is HUGE money in prototype and sample games, if the title is fully working

Wow-easy does it with the pumping. I think these type of 'collectors' that are interested in paying an over-inflated price for a piece of 'pinball history' are few and far between(and fading away fast). Pinball is still a small niche hobby-who are they going to impress with that prototype? -Like 20 dudes? People are coming to the realization that what really matters is condition, if you want a piece to put in a pinball museum for history-buy a prototype-if you want something to really impress friends buy a cq machine that PLAYS well.

Pump it up.gifPump it up.gif

#197 5 years ago

worth 4-5 times a standard type game value.

Ummmmm-no not even close

Where did you pull those numbers from?

the-dude-shaking-head.gifthe-dude-shaking-head.gif
#200 5 years ago

Just had a thought about all of those 'special collectors' out there that got bam-boozled into thinking Magic Girl was special and unique. Now they have a $20,000 paper weight staring at them everyday that they cannot sell(or play ) on secondary market-that would be torture for me to have to stare at a paper weight all day.

#209 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

If someone showed off their original Picasso I’d be like “meh”. But I’m not into rare works of art. That doesn’t mean it isn’t valuable or that there isn’t a market for it

We buy things.jpgWe buy things.jpg
#214 5 years ago

#296 5 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

There's a hole in the playfield that looks like a first grader stuffed glue and toothpicks into it. That's a plus???? I understand that it's part of the history but it is a whole new idea for me to wrap my head around

To me a hacked up prototype is worth less. Is Pat Lawlor a god or something?-no just an average pinball designer. This game the OP is trying to sell is hacked, and looks like a beat TZ to me. I am baffled as I think of the suckers who actually think 'Pinball History' has significant value. People actually geek out with this stuff? Well you have no idea what you are talking about and there are tons of 'heavy hitters' that collect these kind of machines'-give me a break-who flippin cares!-go hang out with your 'heavy hitters'. Anyone who is delusional enough to see significant value in a hacked up prototype needs to find something else to try and impress their friends with.

Super lame-imo
-Keep up the artificial collecting-I think I have a coffee mug that Gary Stern once used-I am open to bids.

#300 5 years ago

People can say pinball can have provenance-ok yes it can

-But to what extent? Hundreds of dollars in additional value or thousands? Yes-value is in the eye of the beholder

To me pinball is such a small niche hobby-it seems irrelevant and pointless to think it is significant and adds substantial value.

People can compare cars, comics, baseball cards, coins, hell throw in some Beanie Babies in the mix-all apples and oranges and all the others have way more mass (public) appeal. Maybe pinball will explode someday and people will be jumping over each other to spend $65,000 on a prototype TZ-but I would place my bet elsewhere-not going to happen.

#303 5 years ago

Everytime I log onto PinSide and read this thread, this video keeps echoing in my mind inside an infinite loop.
Keep up the quality content, PinSiders, and "weather the storm" OP.

Ok I just got the connection here. An owner of proto-type/sample games is here to defend his 'ideals' or values with his machines.

I am generally curious(not being sarcastic)-what Prototype/sample machines do you own and what value do you place on them?

#308 5 years ago

I am beginning to think that all of these 'Heavy Hitters/Whales' that would pay a substantial premium for a Proto/Sample are just a small bunch of guys with 'delusions of grandeur'.

I will leave you with this tasty one......

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 29.95
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.50
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmister.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has expired, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-twilight-zone-x970000-prototype?tu=pinmister and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.