time (resized).jpg
E80C964D-8118-46D4-A007-4C236BA28060 (resized).png
GIF MADE.gif
60a375016d8f5d0975c69c4233a62dccad4633dd.gif
2uphbe.jpg
32DE70F2-C0F6-40F6-B75F-DB3E629FE499.gif
hqdefault (resized).jpg
E69EFC9F-7A10-4EB4-A070-C841725A05F0 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider f3honda4me.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has expired, so this topic closed automatically.

#145 5 years ago
Quoted from fns9l:

LTG,
I just spent an hour going over the case inside and out, the headboard, and underneath, as well as along the edges of the playfield. I did not find a date or a date tag on any of it. I was quite thorough in my search. This conclusion leads me to believe that potentially this machine was not assigned a build date, possibly due to the fact it was the first prototype, and not a production model. If you have any information on where the build date should be located, I will gladly investigate it for you.

Honest question, what is on the machine that indicates it is prototype #1?

#205 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

There is a whole side of this hobby that apparently many are oblivious to... but doesn't stop them from letting everyone know it....
Why don't some people checkout this thread... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-off-your-rareprototype-pinball-stuff
And recognize most of that kind of stuff changes hands at unusual prices and generally NOT in the public view.
Not saying the 65k price is right.... but apparently many don't know there is an entirely different type of collector market out there too...

This. Just because someone else doesn’t see value in it, doesn’t mean there isn’t a market for this. There is absolutely a market of buyers who buy things simply because they are rare. This goes for more than just Pinball machines too. Cars, coins, lots of stuff has a market for the unique and rare where you pay more money for those. I myself have come close to buying such pins before, and the prices are certainly higher than even a great condition normal machine. But even then I don’t see this pin going anywhere close to $65k. I’d guess $20k tops, if that.

Quoted from pinmister:

People pay a premium for an unmolested barn find car because it is probably a rare car, with lower miles, etc. Again condition and rarity-but not a prototype.
People pay a premium for a handwriting from a famous person because they have a connection with that person or they want something to put on a shelf to show off to others.
It is different with pinball, if the OP invited me into his home and showed off his prototype TZ-I would shrug my shoulders and say "Meh" does not look to be in that good of condition, especially for being an HUO machine-Doh' I would offer him $7000 for a TZ in that shape-I guess I am only $58,000 short. Maybe I can do a go fund me for $58,000 to help a delusional collector buy a prototype TZ? I think the pinball community is way too small to consider the "history of pinball" as a tangible valuable asset.

If someone showed off their original Picasso I’d be like “meh”. But I’m not into rare works of art. That doesn’t mean it isn’t valuable or that there isn’t a market for it.

#218 5 years ago

Many people erroneously believe that the white clock face, as shown in the flyer, indicates a prototype game. In actuality, 2000-3000 games were manufactured with the white clock face. While this is fraction of the production run for Twilight Zone, keep in mind that this number is more than the entire production run for recent games. The real “prototype” clock decal was installed on only two or three of the first prototypes. The decal was very simple, and had six colors in a ring on the face. The colors matched up with six different-colored lamp inserts on the playfield that eventually evolved into the Spiral Award inserts.

https://gameroomblog.com/features/twilight-zone-pinball-prototype-vs-production

So if this was prototype #1 shouldn’t it have a multi colored clock face?

#225 5 years ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

There were two or three "first prototypes" made. Two for the programmers (Larry and myself), and I think there was one for the "tagged sample" which was used to verify the Bill of Materials and as a reference for Manufacturing.
There were another 12-15 prototypes made subsequently, and they would have had serial numbers applied before they left the building. They were used for such things as field testing, photo shoot, drop test, ship test, FCC test, ACME Expo, and display pieces for the two largest European distributors at the time. The serial number of my personal game is X970004.
I'm pretty sure that the first two/three did not get serial numbers until they were sold to employees. The game I programmed on was purchased in December 1993, and had the serial number S2720037692, according to the receipt. Beats me what that number means. Those games have the 6-color ring on the clock face. I keep kicking myself for not taking a photograph of it.
As far as I know, that game is still sitting in the basement where I delivered and set it up just before Christmas as a surprise from Santa. It was a gifted it to thank someone who did some work for me.
--Ted
Edited to add: I believe those first 2-3 games had the Clock Millions target added after being first wired. I remember Pat standing next to one of the games as he hand-drilled the holes for the target and insert.

Thanks for sharing! It’s cool to hear a piece of history.

#532 5 years ago
Quoted from fns9l:

Im actually listening to his podcast right now. Hes unreal. He spends 5 minutes talking about all he knows about pinball apraisals. Talks about Ted posting, then states he knew right away my machine wasnt the first, because Ted's current machine is a number lower than mine, then elaborates that he doesnt even know which digit my machine ends in. He proved in one statement that he did not actually read what I said, and did not actually read what Ted said. Ted stated his machine is 4 digits after mine.

Well we do know yours is not actually the first prototype. The first 2-3 did not have serial numbers as Ted indicated, and had the multi color clock face. More accurate description might be first serialized prototype. To a collector, this detail matters.

#610 5 years ago
Quoted from gold1:

So it is ok to profit from a seller who does not know the market(reverse rip off) but not to profit by quoting a much higher than market price?Interesting that.

No one answered because of your “trap” fake non existent scenario. And you didn’t specify the condition of “seller ignorant of the true value” as the reason for the low price. Nonsense argument.

It’s also obvious you’ve never seen an underpriced pin on pinside. People do speak up in the same way. So to answer your rhetorical, neither is socially acceptable here.

3 weeks later
#699 5 years ago
Quoted from fns9l:

I will sell this to a buyer with a genuine offer.

You've had genuine offers. But they weren't at a ridiculous price. So you're not open to genuine offers, unless they are at some ridiculous price.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 132.00
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.50

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider f3honda4me.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has expired, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-twilight-zone-x970000-prototype?tu=f3honda4me and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.