IMG_1399 (resized).jpg
IMG_1398 (resized).jpg
IMG_1396 (resized).jpg
IMG_1395 (resized).jpg
IMG_1394 (resized).jpg
IMG_1391 (resized).jpg
IMG_1392 (resized).jpg
IMG_1393 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider noitbe1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has expired, so this topic closed automatically.

#17 2 years ago

There are 2 different prototypes. This one is a really early one with all the wrong insert. Buyer needs to be aware that the insert text are wrong on this one.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

I wonder if there is any software out there that recognizes that bottom insert as quick multiball rather than “the camera”
Given what the game is I don’t think that would be of a concern.

According to Pat, the first insert version on this first small batch was only coming from a brainstorm for what they wanted to implement in the game. So there is no prototype ROM to match those inserts. On this first version, the inserts were scratched on many prototypes (not this one) and a new text was applied and the clock million insert was cut out directly from the playfield mounted. That’s why this version of the playfield didn’t last long and was only use for a really small batch.

#28 2 years ago

TZ Proto has more differences than the 3rd magnet:
Different cabinet shape (check the front door) ,3 more opto switchs, 2 time a 7 optos boards instead of one board, a different harness to be able to plug 2 flasher boards under the door, 2 more PCB for flashers...
At the end what I think is really interesting with this prototype is the major cost saving it had to overcome before production. I don’t think others pin suffered like the TZ with that many features removed.

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Whats fun is that the differences are spread over so much of the run. IIRC:
A few early prototypes, like this one
The rest of the prototypes that were a little closer to production
The sample run with some prototype features
Early production games with some sample features
Regular production games with no sample features
Also things like the art being scraped off some Spiral inserts and decals used, then Pat adding posts to the pops ("It keeps draining down the left!") and later removing them ("It keeps draining down the middle!")
Did any other game ship with as many configurations as TZ?

What’s crazy also is they add the spiral plastic on early prototype, removed it for later prototype, put it back for the early sample and then removed it for good...
They did the same with the post, put it, removed it put it back... then let the operator the choice to add it or not...
This pinball history had a lot of different weired milestones which make it unique. It should have his own book story: hopefully one day someone will trace everything since there was so many changes on this pin.

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Some samples have the "Spiral" text applied as a decal on the right insert, and the "Lock" insert color was changed away from green as it was too dark. Mine is an early sample game, has all the same unique characteristics but I do not have the "prototype" clock (mine is also black & White), and my boards are green.

Regarding the spiral insert. It used to be « gum ball ». The really first sample had it scratched with no text at all and then a spiral text was applied. No sample game never had the original insert without this scratch.

Regarding the lock it’s even more complicated. There are actually 4 version of colored TZ playfield:
1 was used for only the first prototype, one was used for the other prototypes AND the sample but with the Gumball insert scratched (unlike the prototypes). Then the production started and the third magnet holes was removed, but this version had the green lock insert. After few hundred of games, design team decided to make a last change and change the lock insert to orange.
That’s the only difference with the last 2 version of the playfield.

If you compare the first and last version (aside the wrong insert text...) you could notice that there are really few differences: mainly insert colors and the missing clock millions insert.

Here are a list of some other differences hard to notice with proto aside the first version of the clock and well known changes such as the inverted green white colors near the robot or else...:

-Leg elevator (first proto)
-Impossible to adjust the mini PF
-man glasses are not broken on PF
-front door are offset on the left
-ramp has different decals
-mini PF has no text at all on them
-plastic shapes are different (due to the presence of optos for instance or just changed in design)
- one of the cabinet PCB board is screwed on the left (on top right in production)
-red plastic on the bottom left
-different wiring harness with plugs for the flasher lamp boards. (Even different with the samples)
-the 3rd magnet was wired and working and same for the removed optos...

Honestly, I’m not a big fan of the 6 color clocks. I think it’s nice for history and nice to have it but, as stated, design team changed it for the commercial photo shoot at last minutes because it was not seen as something great in design. It’s my understanding.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.50
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,059.00
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider noitbe1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has expired, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-twilight-zone-prototype?tu=noitbe1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.