Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by bdaley6509
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 11 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20170908_193013 (resized).jpg
20170908_193004 (resized).jpg
20170908_192951 (resized).jpg
20170908_192938 (resized).jpg
20170908_192927 (resized).jpg
20170908_192919 (resized).jpg
20170908_192854 (resized).jpg
20170908_192833 (resized).jpg
20170908_192847 (resized).jpg
20170908_192907 (resized).jpg
20170908_193002 (resized).jpg

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 1 year ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

Price

$ 6,200 (Firm)

Price is firm

for sale

For sale: The Hobbit Smaug

Added: September 11th, 2017 Ended: September 15th, 2017
Condition: HUO - Documented (Home Used Only)

Item description

JJP Hobbit Smaug. Beautiful with mods. Mirrorblades, plastic protectors, flipper toppers, target decals (not pictured), left ramp fix, pop up creature fix (not yet installed), and drop target kit (not yet installed). I can ship at buyer's expense.

**also has upgraded gold ring button and engraved metal emblem.

Item photos

20170908_193002 (resized).jpg
20170908_192907 (resized).jpg
20170908_192847 (resized).jpg
20170908_192833 (resized).jpg
20170908_192854 (resized).jpg
20170908_192919 (resized).jpg
20170908_192927 (resized).jpg
20170908_192938 (resized).jpg
20170908_192951 (resized).jpg
20170908_193004 (resized).jpg
20170908_193013 (resized).jpg

Photos not showing? Make sure your ad blocker plugin is not hiding them.

Contact

Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!

Listing result

The seller ended this ad and indicated the game eventually sold for $ 6,200

Seller contributed to Pinside for selling this item!

Item location

Charlotte, NC, US

Seller insights

These are bdaley6509's all time market stats.

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

100.0%

Go to bdaley6509's stats page

#2 1 year ago

nice.

#3 1 year ago

I can't believe these have dropped so much in price. GLWS.

#4 1 year ago

I can't believe it either. Good thing that I love mine and plan on keeping it for some time.

#5 1 year ago

At these prices I am thinking of a SECOND ONE.

#6 1 year ago

Great seller bump. Bought one of my first games from him sight unseen, he packs like a champ and is fantastic to deal with! Anybody want to buy my souped up Metallica pro so I can grab his premium? AFTER you buy this of course

#7 1 year ago

You know where to find me and how to reach me -- you know I'm interested, and you know what I have to offer.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

You know where to find me and how to reach me -- you know I'm interested, and you know what I have to offer.

I read that like Liam Neeson in Taken.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

looks like he already offered you this TH and you turned him down from one of your previous threads...

#10 1 year ago

yikes. I hate to see pins drop in value so much.... It's a beauty of a game.

#11 1 year ago

This and the one that was listed at $6k are firesale prices. They sold very fast. I might be wrong, but doubt you will see many owners willing to sell this low.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from Lermods:

This and the one that was listed at $6k are firesale prices. They sold very fast. I might be wrong, but doubt you will see many owners willing to sell this low.

The actual prices seem to be just under $7k for an LE and right around $7k for a Smaug.

If you want to sell a game fast and need money, it'll go quick if you price it like this...that's about all that should be read in to it.

#13 1 year ago

Last 3 I've seen sold....$6500, $6200, $6000.....

#14 1 year ago

Love those blades! Might have to get some

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

If you want to sell a game fast and need money, it'll go quick if you price it like this...that's about all that should be read in to it.

One could read that the drop in price represents a lack of demand.

It's still a damn good price for someone who wants this game.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

My neighbor here in central NJ just purchased a one owner HUO Smaug for $6,250.

I think the 7K+ Hobbit may be over.

#17 1 year ago

There is a lot of game for that price. I'd never sell mine for that. Best bang for the buck pin going right now probably.

#18 1 year ago

I don't get why people would sell this low, it was $8000-8500 new, maybe more, unless it's a hardship sale. The code isn't even completed yet. I honestly don't care about these current sales as I'm not selling mine. Wish I were looking for one, I'd buy in a heartbeat at these prices.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I don't get why people would sell this low, it was $8000-8500 new, maybe more, unless it's a hardship sale. The code isn't even completed yet. I honestly don't care about these current sales as I'm not selling mine. Wish I were looking for one, I'd buy in a heartbeat at these prices.

Glad I was able to sell my Smaug for $7250 when I did. There's something missing with that game, which is why you see so many for sale. Lots of bells and whistles and multiball but not enough substance for my tastes! It was a huge disappointment to wait so long for it only to sell it within a few months.

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I can't believe these have dropped so much in price. GLWS.

Some love it, but boy I couldn't move mine fast enough.

Quoted from yonizzell:

Glad I was able to sell my Smaug for $7250 when I did. There's something missing with that game, which is why you see so many for sale. Lots of bells and whistles and multiball but not enough substance for my tastes! It was a huge disappointment to wait so long for it only to sell it within a few months.

I'm glad there are varying opinions in this hobby. I love all pinball, but I traded mine for a STLE and couldn't be happier. But it is one of the most beautiful pins ever made. And when I first had mine, I loved the crap out of it. Just didn't have the staying power and variety of shots needed to be a keeper. But that could also be more about me, I also sold TSPP, ACDC Prem, IM, Wolverine LE, Avengers LE, TOM, and lots of other games most would say are A list titles. Seller you are getting a heck of a deal from a FANTASTIC seller though!

#21 1 year ago

I've never played a more boring game than hobbit. At this price I'm trying to convince myself otherwise b/c it's prob one of the nicest looking and sounding but I keep reminding myself I let the ball drain TWICE on two separate occasions b/c the game was just so uninspiring and unexciting. Dull comes to mind. I think it has to do with that open playfield.

#22 1 year ago

I know it's underpriced. Just looking to move it quickly as I have some other priorities at the moment.

#23 1 year ago

Hey, I bought The Hobbit new and boy these sales prices remind me of the hit I take on buying new snowmobiles. I still enjoy my Hobbit and can play it all the time.

The snowmobiles on the other hand has been beyond brutal with the crappy winters we have had the last 2 years. About 300 miles riden per season when I normally ride over 2000 miles a season with a high of over 5,000 miles. Going up to the UP this weekend to start them and get ready for winter.

#24 1 year ago

Wow I'm glad I got 6900 for mine. I hope the code develops bc there is something missing in the game that I can't quite put my finger on. Too many beast popups is one

#25 1 year ago

yep, two pop-ups would have been plenty, like on MM.

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

I've never played a more boring game than hobbit. At this price I'm trying to convince myself otherwise b/c it's prob one of the nicest looking and sounding but I keep reminding myself I let the ball drain TWICE on two separate occasions b/c the game was just so uninspiring and unexciting. Dull comes to mind. I think it has to do with that open playfield.

Yup, I can never complete a full game because I lose interest so quickly. But these are great prices now for anyone looking to own a Hobbit.

#27 1 year ago

Wait till Dialed In's start hitting the market. I predict many deals soon.

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Wait till Dialed In's start hitting the market. I predict many deals soon.

OT: DI is an amazing game! I don't anticipate many fire sales.

#29 1 year ago

dialed in is like TZ, it may fall, but it should hold it's value better than TH. DI is a pretty amazing game, not as amazing as woz, which seems to hold value pretty well in the $7-8kish range. the hobbit will make a resurgence when the code is completed, but it's not going to change the game play and feel so it will not be for everyone.

#30 1 year ago

woz = game of the century. That is all.

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

OT: DI is an amazing game! I don't anticipate many fire sales.

I think he meant fire sales on hobbits once people see how good dialed in is...at least thats my take...I played DI and TH side by side and I didnt even finish the 3rd ball on TH...DI kicked ass!

#32 1 year ago

I have cash set aside once a Hobbit pops up in my area sub $6500. I played on route a few times, but it was not enough to get a feel for it. Really need one in my house to spend time with it. At the current going price, it seems like a no-brainer.

I have both DI and Woz. DI is a game changer in my book; I absolutely love it. WoZ is good, but I think it suffers from an average playfield layout and lack of mode-based play makes me sad.

Pat Lawlor on layout has made a world of difference for JJP pins.

#33 1 year ago

Just curious why you believe it's a game changer. It shoots really well - just wish sound, theme and call outs matched it. I'll still own one as it plays well based on my time with it.

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Just curious why you believe it's a game changer. It shoots really well - just wish sound, theme and call outs matched it. I'll still own one as it plays well based on my time with it.

Agree with this. I liked the layout of DI (with the exception of the bash dude) but the theme and callouts just didn't do anything for me.

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

I suppose it's a matter of personal opinion, but I come from the tech industry so this theme nails it for me. DI is loaded with all sorts of well-engineered toys that actually interact with the ball; it forces you to change your strategy and counter the toys that are working against you. I love all the modes (which WoZ is lacking).

The light show and music are very well choreographed on DI more so than any other pin I have played. Frankly, the music on WoZ is pretty annoying and the light show isn't choreographed well - much more spastic, not much rhythm.

The voice work is clever; is has a ton of variation and smartly written comedy elements that I love. Not sure why people don't like it.

The dynamic cityscape being destroyed in real-time as you progress through the modes is really cool. I don't think something like that has happened in pinball before, since this is the first pin I know of that has the technology and vision to do such things.

#36 1 year ago

Thanks for the input - I'll prob have one eventually but interesting to hear. I love the music in WOZ and usually love mode games but don't really think about the game not have modes - it almost feels like it does. I def want a mode based game to compliment it which is Aliens for now.

#37 1 year ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

There is a lot of game for that price. I'd never sell mine for that. Best bang for the buck pin going right now probably.

It's understandable that many owners don't want to sell at such a low price. It's far from a best bang for your buck pin for those original owners.

It just isn't a positive endorsement that an increasing number of people would rather take a loss than keep it.

#38 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Thanks for the input - I'll prob have one eventually but interesting to hear. I love the music in WOZ and usually love mode games but don't really think about the game not have modes - it almost feels like it does. I def want a mode based game to compliment it which is Aliens for now.

Don't get me wrong - I really like WoZ; the music and overall package is well done... maybe after so many years the tunes starts to pound in my head

DI mode-based play compliments WoZ objective-based play very well.

I really want to see where (or if) Hobbit can fit in.

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from RTS:

It's understandable that many owners don't want to sell at such a low price. It's far from a best bang for your buck pin for those original owners.
It just isn't a positive endorsement that an increasing number of people would rather take a loss than keep it.

True, I'm sure. I'm in at $7500 for my Smaug which I bought NIB. It is still a fun game and only killed Smaug once. People who come to the house like it. Dialed IN is inbound for me in a month or so. Hopefully it holds its price better than Hobbit. I'm basically holding onto Hobbit to see what happens when a final code and mode drops.

#40 1 year ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

.I played DI and TH side by side and I didnt even finish the 3rd ball on TH...DI kicked ass!

It's funny...I did the same and had the opposite experience. I'm a movie guy and TH pulls me into the theatrical experience more than any other game. DI just felt "cartoon-y". But, pinball is totally subjective and that is the good and bad. I wouldn't sell mine for so little...but then again I wouldn't sell mine at all right now. Still loving it. FYI, I know people have said it doesn't have any/enough toys. That is so crazy wrong. 4 pop up beasts (individually controlled), 3 magnets, pops, slings, talking dragon, best light show of any game (have you seen the 2.0 fire effect?), and the thing everyone leaves out: each drop target is individually controlled which creates some very unique shot strategies. For instance, there is a mode where you have to hit the roaming drop target that goes across the playfield. Beasts will block shots sometimes causing you to combo (hit the ramp to lower the beast then hit the loop) etc. That "open" playfield fills up real quick once you get going. Anyhow...my no toys rant is over. I love this game. If you do, then you understand. If you don't I hope you have a game that you are equally as passionate about. That keeps the market flowing...right? Just need some games that I want to drop in price.

#41 1 year ago

Clearly this was a desperate/distressed sale....has little to no impact on what I think the game is worth. TH is awesome....didn't care for it at first, but once I understood the deep rule set, and set the play field angle 7.3 degrees the game has been amazing....I get a kick out the haters who played 2 games at the local bar or some pinball convention, and pretend to be experts on the game.

#42 1 year ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

This.

#43 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

TH is awesome....didn't care for it at first, but once I understood the deep rule set, and set the play field angle 7.3 degrees the game has been amazing....I get a kick out the haters who played 2 games at the local bar or some pinball convention, and pretend to be experts on the game.

I thought it was slow and floaty and boring until I played a properly setup one that I could hear and I loved it--so I bought one! It is a weird game in that it's very different than most stern-esque machines...does not follow any sort of pinball formula at all. That probably puts off some people. My kids love it as well, it's by far their favorite game.

There are a TON of NIB games coming out so I can see people wanting to move games quick. A few selling close to 6k is meaningless, most sell 6500-7k. Pinball is a shitty shitty shitty investment so if that freaks you out, don't buy NIB.

Captain Obvious: "Opinions vary on pinball machines." I absolutely HATE a couple of the games in the top 10...does that make them terrible and worthless? To me I guess but not to others. Talking in absolutes about pinball machines is ridiculous on it's face.

#44 1 year ago
Quoted from Crile1:

It's funny...I did the same and had the opposite experience. I'm a movie guy and TH pulls me into the theatrical experience more than any other game. DI just felt "cartoon-y". But, pinball is totally subjective and that is the good and bad. I wouldn't sell mine for so little...but then again I wouldn't sell mine at all right now. Still loving it. FYI, I know people have said it doesn't have any/enough toys. That is so crazy wrong. 4 pop up beasts (individually controlled), 3 magnets, pops, slings, talking dragon, best light show of any game (have you seen the 2.0 fire effect?), and the thing everyone leaves out: each drop target is individually controlled which creates some very unique shot strategies. For instance, there is a mode where you have to hit the roaming drop target that goes across the playfield. Beasts will block shots sometimes causing you to combo (hit the ramp to lower the beast then hit the loop) etc. That "open" playfield fills up real quick once you get going. Anyhow...my no toys rant is over. I love this game. If you do, then you understand. If you don't I hope you have a game that you are equally as passionate about. That keeps the market flowing...right? Just need some games that I want to drop in price.

They just need some code updates that will put more impact on beating the modes. Only one mode to qualify for into the fire?

#45 1 year ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Only one mode to qualify for into the fire?

1 mode + Smaug multiball + beast frenzy + Arrive at Erribor+ collect all Dwarves = Into the Fire Arkenstone mode qualification.

All of the above + Into the fire = Barrel Escape

All of the above + Into the fire + Barrel Escape = Battle of the Five Armies

For Pete's sake, do not add anything else to qualify. I've only been to Battle of the Five Armies once, completed Into the Fire once (yeah eagles!!!) and only killed Smaug once. And I have the game set on 5 balls!

FYI: final wizard mode is pending...so that would be Into the Fire + Barrel Escape + Battle of the Five Armies...and people say not enough to do.

Oh...and there are 31 modes to play as well.

#46 1 year ago

Its definitely not an easy game to complete. I absolutely love all the multi balls in this game, and my kids absolutely love the video/graphics/sound quality. Even with MMRLE, AFMRLE this and Metallica are always the first games the kids play. I actually just bought the manual...yea its a $100 bucks, and I think they should include in the game, but its really well done. If u purchase a pinball as an investment your in the wrong business...its pure entertainment....

#47 1 year ago
Quoted from Crile1:

1 mode + Smaug multiball + beast frenzy + Arrive at Erribor+ collect all Dwarves = Into the Fire Arkenstone mode qualification.
All of the above + Into the fire = Barrel Escape
All of the above + Into the fire + Barrel Escape = Battle of the Five Armies
For Pete's sake, do not add anything else to qualify. I've only been to Battle of the Five Armies once, completed Into the Fire once (yeah eagles!!!) and only killed Smaug once. And I have the game set on 5 balls!
FYI: final wizard mode is pending...so that would be Into the Fire + Barrel Escape + Battle of the Five Armies...and people say not enough to do.
Oh...and there are 31 modes to play as well.

I understand that but only 3 of the 31 modes are needed to be completed to to get to battle of the five armies. There should be some sort of reward like "gift from the elves" or something when you complete say 5 modes or 10 ect.

I liked the game but it was still missing something that makes you want to press the button more than a few times a week.

#48 1 year ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

There should be some sort of reward like "gift from the elves"

I totally agree with this statement and hopefully that will be implemented. I do feel kinda let down when I complete a mode (when I already have that part of the Arkenstone qualified) and there is nothing special that happens. At least after Erebor you get super spinner. There is Treasure Hunt...but not sure how you qualify for that. All that said...I still find myself sometimes just exploring the modes just for fun. There are some really great modes to play and challenging. I love the music on Dol Guldur and my kids LOVE the call out when you beat Interrogation ("I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders.")

And...c'mon, you don't feel like hitting that button again when after you've drained you last ball that smug Smaug looks you in the eye and says, "now that IS a pity"?

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

I understand that but only 3 of the 31 modes are needed to be completed to to get to battle of the five armies. There should be some sort of reward like "gift from the elves" or something when you complete say 5 modes or 10 ect.
I liked the game but it was still missing something that makes you want to press the button more than a few times a week.

As an owner of the game I agree with this and have posted about this here and on the JJP Google Group multiple times.

It's awesome that there are 31 unique book modes in TH but there needs to be a reason for playing through them all. Hopefully that is where the rumored upcoming super wizard mode comes into play. Still, with so many modes there should be an award for beating sets of them.

Beating 5, 10, 15, etc modes should reward the player. Same concept could be applied for beating the sets of man, dwarf and elf modes. Maybe the champion items that Keith mentioned for another update will play into this.

What is in the game today is already incredible, the game probably has 2-3x the amount of code work that a typical Stern game has. Thankfully with Keith working on the game there is likely more to come.

#50 1 year ago

All the GB and acdc machines suddenly for sale, priced way less than before, and sitting for awhile now, and yet nobody's talking about them games tanking, or plummetting. Hobbit is over scrutinized for some reason. It's a simple supply and demand, nothing more. Hobbit, along with GB and acdc are all amazing games in their own way. However, with all the new games coming out each year, it's impossible for newer games that are still in production, to hold a high value. Once these games are out of production, then the values will settle. Acdc is a prime example of this theory to. Look at it's price history before and after the VE was announced. Anyway, my Hobbit will never leave, nor will my acdc. I would never buy a game worrying about the resale value. Buy games you want only because you want them.

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside