30 (resized).jpeg
29 (resized).jpeg
28 (resized).jpeg
27 (resized).jpeg
26 (resized).jpeg
25 (resized).jpeg
24 (resized).jpeg
23 (resized).jpeg

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

#1 1 year ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

Game - for sale

For sale: Star Trek: The Next Generation

Added: 2022-05-08 20:36:09 UTC • Ended: May 28th, 2022
Condition: HUO - Undocumented (Home Used Only)

1 Pinsider added this ad to their favorites.

Price

$ 9,800 (OBO)

Open for offers

Item description

HUO and 1 of only 200 prototype units. This test model was produced during the first week of production in November 1993, about 2 months before the regular production run of 11,728 games were released. It features silk screened back box artwork, dome shaped gun turret lenses, and special high-power flipper coils (Williams only used these on ST:TNG test models). It is also one of the seven wide body SuperPin models that Williams produced in 1993 and 1994.

The cabinet is absolutely beautiful as it has always been stored away from sunlight. Low play with slight signs of playfield wear. The only modifications are custom out lane rails to reduce ball drain (I'll include the originals). This pinball is all original, and has not been modified or "shopped to be sold". I have the original manual, and will include some collector memorabilia.

I have owned this pinball for over 20 years. I am the second owner - the original owner bought it for their home collection and lived nearby. This has been the flagship of my gameroom and is truly a collectors example. Cash - no trades.

Info on the test run models:
https://web.archive.org/web/ ########## [phone number removed]1836/http://www.gfairall.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/extraball/games/sttng/trivia.htm

Item photos

01 (resized).jpg
02 (resized).jpg
12 (resized).jpeg
13 (resized).jpeg
14 (resized).jpeg
15 (resized).jpeg
16 (resized).jpeg
17 (resized).jpeg
19 (resized).jpeg
20 (resized).jpeg
21 (resized).jpeg
22 (resized).jpeg
23 (resized).jpeg
24 (resized).jpeg
25 (resized).jpeg
26 (resized).jpeg
27 (resized).jpeg
28 (resized).jpeg
29 (resized).jpeg
3 (resized).jpg
30 (resized).jpeg
31 (resized).jpeg
32 (resized).jpeg
33 (resized).jpeg
34 (resized).jpeg
35 (resized).jpeg
4 (resized).jpg

Photos not showing? Make sure your ad blocker plugin is not hiding them.

Contact

Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!

Seller insights

These are JAMESON's market stats.

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

100.0%

Go to JAMESON's stats page

Listing result

The seller marked this ad as "not sold". The item did not sell through Pinside so there's no listing result.

Item location

Merrimack, NH, US

#2 1 year ago

Pics of the playfield wear would help, but “low plays” and “playfield wear” don’t usually go together on an HUO game.

#3 1 year ago

More pictures please!

#4 1 year ago

Aren’t the boards usually red on the prototypes? This sounds more like an early production run which isn’t quite the same thing to a lot of collectors. Looking forward to additional photos.

#5 1 year ago

1) Seller has been on Pinside for a total of 2hrs, and this is their first and only post ever.
2) 4 Pictures provided for a "collector quality" machine. 2 are from too far away, one is too close, and the last is of a sticker that could be from any machine in the world.
3) The serial number sticker they did provide says "1coin", which would mean it was produced with a single coin slot door. The machine in the pix has 2-slots. IF the sticker is from this machine, the coin door was changed at some point. Not all original as stated.
4) Those "dome shaped gun turret lenses" are the same as on every STTNG ever made.
5) Doesn't have the "High powered flipper coils" as stated in the ad. Those are just plain ol' FL-11629's.
6) As another Pinsider pointed out, green PCB's under the playfield (from the little of it we can see).
7) Says "flagship of my gameroom", yet sits alone next to the stairs.(with sunlight at it's feet)

Hey, I might be wrong about all of this, and the seller might have a treasure on their hands. I guess it'll be on them to prove it. And if I stand corrected, I'll own up to it, and say so. But as it stands, something ain't right.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Strohz:

Aren’t the boards usually red on the prototypes?

I’ve had a few prototypes over the years. All had red boards.
Early production games rarely have any significant value unless something was changed on the line.

#7 1 year ago

Not to mention that the solder joints on the left flipper coil do not look factory either....they barely look attached to the coil lugs

#8 1 year ago

So... as the seller, I'll take these posts in the objective spirit that I'm sure they were intended. Prototype vs test run - maybe not interchangeable terms. This IS an example from the initial production run of 200 with some distinct features. The back box artwork seems to be the indisputable differentiator (no stickers). Happy to provide personal references from the local pinball groups that I have been involved with for many years. Bottom line - it's a beauty. Come and see it!

#9 1 year ago

Thanks for loading more pictures!

#10 1 year ago

The serial number for that game is well outside of the samples (first run of 200). I would suspect the painted backbox was left over from the sample run and installed on this later run machine.

For "HUO" it has Neutral Zone hole wear, raised Final Frontier insert, and way more than expected shooter handle wear. I would suspect this game was on route for a period before moving to homes.

This is my HUO handle for comparison:
20220511T021950-20220511_021649 (resized).jpg20220511T021950-20220511_021649 (resized).jpg

#11 1 year ago

Agreed, the amount of shooter handle ware and hole ware make it quite suspect. The one I pulled out of a laundromat last year cleaned up as nice as this one and I got it for 2 grand.

The cabinet seems nice. The hole needs a Cliffy and the shooter handle need to be painted. I’d say this game is over priced in present condition.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from MaxIsDead:

Agreed, the amount of shooter handle ware and hole ware make it quite suspect. The one I pulled out of a laundromat last year cleaned up as nice as this one and I got it for 2 grand.
The cabinet seems nice. The hole needs a Cliffy and the shooter handle need to be painted. I’d say this game is over priced in present condition.

While I agree with most of what is said in this thread regarding HUO/not-HUO, new seller, etc., I guess I'll disagree with the statement about being over priced. This hobby is totally off the rails right now and I don't think there is such thing as over priced right now. I've thrown prices on games in the last year or so for what I thought was "stupid money" (just to see if I would get bites) only to have multiple offers in 30 minutes. If someone that has been looking for a STTNG, people will pay it when it comes up.

Jaz

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from Jazman:

While I agree with most of what is said in this thread regarding HUO/not-HUO, new seller, etc., I guess I'll disagree with the statement about being over priced. This hobby is totally off the rails right now and I don't think there is such thing as over priced right now. I've thrown prices on games in the last year or so for what I thought was "stupid money" (just to see if I would get bites) only to have multiple offers in 30 minutes. If someone that has been looking for a STTNG, people will pay it when it comes up.

Maybe so, but this game at $9800 is indeed “stupid money”. A collector I know recently offered me a verifiable HUO game with pristine everything for $10k. I know of at least one NIB game still out there. If I wanted to get TNG back I’d get one of those. I regret not purchasing Brent Spiner’s personal game a few years ago but I got some great pics and autographs for helping him.

This game may be “HUO since I bought it”. The door alone makes me think he’s at least the third owner. I think OP truly thinks this game was somehow special and didn’t intend to mislead but a good starting OBO for this game fully/shopped working probably more like $4500-$5500 and that’s generous. But maybe he finds someone who just has to have the game now.

#14 1 year ago

IF I sold my documented (Larry Demar) HUO STNG it would be listed at $10k minimum.
An awesome game with an average price below $7k. Can’t beat it for the money.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from Push600:

IF I sold my documented (Larry Demar) HUO STNG it would be listed at $10k minimum.

And that’s a fair ask. Be cool to have a team member game.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Jazman:

Jaz

The even more crazy part, is that next year, you look back and kick yourself for selling too low. haha

#17 1 year ago

I know the seller, and I've played this game (MANY times!). This is a gorgeous original game. And by original I mean it hasn't been "restored" or pimped-out in any way. It's a ~30 year old game that's been played and well maintained. Yes, the handle finish has not held up well... easy to repaint. And yes, this is likely an early production game.
As for HUO, this game and another (a TZ) came from a guy who bought these new. Did he provide receipts to prove that? No.
Bottom line, this game is in great shape and someone is going to be very happy.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

I know the seller, and I've played this game (MANY times!). This is a gorgeous original game. And by original I mean it hasn't been "restored" or pimped-out in any way. It's a ~30 year old game that's been played and well maintained. Yes, the handle finish has not held up well... easy to repaint. And yes, this is likely an early production game.
As for HUO, this game and another (a TZ) came from a guy who bought these new. Did he provide receipts to prove that? No.
Bottom line, this game is in great shape and someone is going to be very happy.

Ok. Then what’s up with the coin door?

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

What’s wrong with the coin door? It looks like every other US Williams game of that time. That’s what was on the game when it was picked up… and note how it doesn’t have a scratch on it. Don’t know what else to tell you.

I come here and share what I know about this game, and someone downvotes me for that?!? I really wonder/worry about some of you guys….

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

I really wonder/worry about some of you guys….

No need to worry; I'll be alright thanks

But seriously, the ol catchphrase "...a 30+ year old game" is the reason why.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

What’s wrong with the coin door? It looks like every other US Williams game of that time.

Yes it does. But I’m pretty sure the serial info indicates an exported machine which shouldn’t have had a US door.

I don’t really care. If the game is really as nice as you suggest OP will sell it. If a buyer is comfortable overpaying, everybody’s happy.

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

No need to worry; I'll be alright thanks

That's funny.. yeah, I'd be angry too.. I'm 28.5 gosh darn it!!!..

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Not sure what your issue is. All I was saying is that the game is ~30 years old, and I know it has been well taken care of for the last 20 or so while Jim has owned it. I think you read something else into it. Must have been too close to your trigger phrase….

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

... Must have been too close to your trigger phrase….

I have a few; but you didn't give an immersion level so we're good there

I understand you are just trying to help; but the issue isn't if the game plays well or not it's the promises and assumptions made by the OP leading to it's inflated price. But true, let's not have any hard feelings.

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

This is the correct coin door for a STTNG it was used on TZ as well…

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from Pintopia:

This is the correct coin door for a STTNG it was used on TZ as well…

Yes it is. But read my comment 4 up from yours. Am I wrong about export?

#27 1 year ago

It’s wired for 120 per the serial sticker. Aren’t exports wired for 220?

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

It’s wired for 120 per the serial sticker. Aren’t exports wired for 220?

Not all. And why would it show a 1 coin door when a US version has 2?

Maybe I’m wrong and it’s the original door. Don’t think it is but I don’t care because (a) the door is what I would expect and (b) the door isn’t usually relevant in the home. It’s just one of the things in the original post that raised my eyebrows.

Sorry if I ruffled anyone’s feathers. I’ll bow out.

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

7) Says "flagship of my gameroom", yet sits alone next to the stairs.(with sunlight at it's feet)

That's because his other pins are now in my game room

Also all the arcade games have already sold and left

Quoted from bigehrl:

1) Seller has been on Pinside for a total of 2hrs, and this is their first and only post ever.

I told Jim to come on Pinside and post it for sale. He's known around the area, so 100% legit. (and I have 18yrs and 4000+ posts on Pinside to be legit)
I personally dislike selling on FB Marketplace and figured this would be a better site as I have always had very good luck.

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

That's because his other pins are now in my game room
Also all the arcade games have already sold and left

And I have all of those!

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-star-trek-the-next-generation-212 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.