Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by 0geist0
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is your existing factory sheild installed on top of the red plastics or under?”

• Under 0 votes
  • Over 5 votes
    100%

(5 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image-779.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
ST_PRO_DropShield.jpg
STPRO1.jpg

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

Mod - for sale

Star Trek Pro drop target plastic shield

Added: 2015-04-13 23:44:35 UTC • Ended: May 4th, 2015

Price

$ 15

Most people I've spoken to have had this issue with the plastic shield above the drop target breaking/cracking.

My game is a year old and HUO and the plastic just broke in 3 pieces.

Not sure if the Premium or LE plastic is the same design, if someone knows that would be great.

I will be making one for myself with a slight redesign, it will be clear plastic, one in Lexan, one in PETG and one with a design mod to the original. I thought there may be others who need one as well so have opened this up to help out some other people.

If I can get enough interest to recoup my set up costs I'd be happy to do a run of these, I'd like to do 10 for the first run and play test them. $15 USD shipped (US and Canada), international ($10 USD plus actual shipping cost) is the target price to start.

Once we have 10 committed people production will begin and shipping will happen within 7-10 business days.

Anyone who signs up for the first run of 10 will get a free 'Version 2' (you cover shipping for #2) when it is ready so long as I get a bit a of feedback from you on how Version 1 performed

No refund, returns or warranty, sold as is. By choosing to install this on your machine you the buyer accepts all responsibility.

Please sign up in the forum post:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-star-trek-pro-drop-target-plastic-shield

Or send me a PM.

Pics are of the plastic to be replaced and the location in case it was not clear. (plastic has been removed in that photo)

Suggestions for other mods are welcomed, different color, engraving, decal etc. I think clear is most desired but interested in your feedback.

Item photos

STPRO1.jpg
ST_PRO_DropShield.jpg

Photos not showing? Make sure your ad blocker plugin is not hiding them.

Contact

Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!

Seller insights

These are Canuckgamer99's market stats.

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

100.0%

Go to Canuckgamer99's stats page

Listing result

The seller ended this ad and submitted the final sales price into our price database but opted not to disclose the price publicly.

Item location

Vancouver, BC, CA

#2 9 years ago

8 spots remain...

Please put your name below if interested or PM me direct and I will hold your spot.

1. Reserved
2. Reserved

#4 9 years ago

Please put your name below if interested or PM me direct and I will hold your spot.

1. Reserved
2. Reserved
3. MustangPaul

Reserved!

#5 9 years ago

I'll take one and test in the ST Pro on location in a theater arcade. Gets pretty decent plays everyday.

#6 9 years ago

1. Reserved
2. Reserved
3. MustangPaul
4. Mhulsebu

Reserved thanks!

#7 9 years ago

Had some feedback to do same thickness lexan vs thicker plexi any thoughts?

Also had a suggestion from an operator (www.eastvanamusements.com) to cut out area over drop target, that design has been route tested on 2 machines with success.

Appreciate all feedback, I want to be sure everyone has a quality part they are happy with!

#8 9 years ago

I'd like to sign up for one for my ST Pro, thx

#9 9 years ago

I'll buy one for my ST Pro, since mine just broke this week. It did break in a perfect half circle over the drop target; so if you decide to make it shorter, I'll pass because I have that one! Looking forward to giving feedback. Thanks for doing this!

#10 9 years ago

1. Reserved
2. Reserved
3. MustangPaul
4. Mhulsebu
5. Bos007
6. Bebopbanks

Bos007, Bebopbanks you are on the list!

#11 9 years ago

Hi guys,

So these are going into production next week I will keep you posted when ready.

I will have 3 versions available to try out:

10 original design in PETG

10 original design in lexan

10 modified design without the lip over the drop target in PETG

Price is still $15 shipped for 1 for any of the designs but if you want multiples they will be $10 each plus actual shipping cost.

#12 9 years ago

Question....whats the difference in plexi and lexan? FYI: my experience is that without the lip over the drop target, the drop target can/will air launch the ball! I've included a picture of the 'perfect break' mine has now! Thanks for coaching up a girl that's new to the Pinball world!

image.jpgimage.jpg
#13 9 years ago

The suggestion for no lip was from the operator at EastVanAmusements, he modified his this way and says he hasn't had an issue. So since there may be some people who want that version I'm doing up both. Is your game a LE or Pro? The light under the Vengence looks modded.

Lexan is stronger than plexi but its a more expensive material. Lexan scratches easier than plexi however. So some people may opt for plexi for looks vs durability.

Some people I've spoken to have argued that just like tires and brakes these will wear out and or break eventually due to the spot they are in.

So the three versions will allow me to try out different styles and with that feedback the second version will incorporate that information.

Interesting that you have one side under the red plastics and the other side on top. Under the red plastics I think will make the clear shield plastic less flexible, it may be better on top, thats how mine came.

I will post pics when they are ready, hoping to get more sign ups in the meantime...

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Bebopbanks:

Question....whats the difference in plexi and lexan? FYI: my experience is that without the lip over the drop target, the drop target can/will air launch the ball! I've included a picture of the 'perfect break' mine has now! Thanks for coaching up a girl that's new to the Pinball world!

image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

I think the reason why these plastics crack is because sometimes the ball gets trapped on the drop target while the drop target is firing up. This causes the ball to temporarily get jammed between the drop target and plastic on top. When this occurs, the wedged ball is putting alot of force put on the drop target and assembly underneath the playfield. This force needs to go somewhere, and this is why I believe the cracks occur in the plastic, and also why the right screw on the plastic piece always seems to goes loose. <edit> Pierre and JJ are correct, Lexan will probably never crack here.

Regarding the drop target launching the ball, this is a non issue. The drop target does not have enough power to launch the ball more than a centimeter, if that. If this was an issue you wouldn't see games such as Cactus Canyon with drops in the middle of the playfield.

If you see Star Treks on route, I think most operators just throw out the piece altogether. That's what I've seen on some machines. But I think it looks much better with the shield on!

BTW - I'm the East Van Amusements operator.

#15 9 years ago

Mine is a Pro. Looking forward to the new piece(s)!
Yes, you are correct about the mods! Have a few! ;-]
I had not noticed the red plastic over on one side and under on the other! Oooops!! Made an adjustment awhile back and apparently did not put it back on correctly! :-/ Thanks for pointing that out! A picture is worth a thousand words....they say!!

I think I misspoke or over-analyzed the 'launching of the ball', from the drop target! You are right, it doesn't actually 'launch'! Thanks for the info!!

I have another question for you guys.....made a mistake and used a WD-40 pen, on the upper right flipper because it was sticking....now it is worse! ;-(
Is there a Flipper upgrade for the Star Trek Pro? Or at least, a Fix?

#16 9 years ago

Just to add one more thing re Kyle's point above using a stronger (not thicker) material like Lexan was recommended by John's Jukes (Flippers.com) who has been in business fixing pins for 30 years. He wouldn't have recommended it if he was concerned about the mechanism so I think Lexan should be safe.

In any case the 3 options will be provided so everyone can pick what they are most comfortable with. The plexi factory one appears to be under spec for the purpose.

Bebopbanks: That's a good question, I would try the tech section but rebuilding the actual flipper may be a good place to start. Marco or Pinball Life should carry something like that.

Will post up pics soon, these are being made in a professional plastic shop so I'm expecting very good quality.

1 week later
#17 8 years ago

Thanks for doing this and bump! I'll take the carved out version and test it on route for you!

#18 8 years ago

1. Reserved
2. Reserved
3. MustangPaul
4. Mhulsebu
5. Bos007
6. Bebopbanks
7. Pinballkyle

Thanks Kyle, added to the list!

#19 8 years ago

While I applaud the effort I really think this is one of those times you shouldn't re-invent the wheel. Just buy the pinbits kit (http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_77&products_id=580) which includes a protector for this area and move on. The kit also comes with protectors for several other plastics that will break on your game if not protected. It's a bit more expensive but will serve you much better in the long run.

If you do still want to go down this route do not use Plexi. It will break. Use Lexan or PETG.

#20 8 years ago

85vett, thanks for sharing that and yes as mentioned 3 versions will be done, including one in Lexan, pinbits are PETG. From what I have heard many people will still prefer the cost effective option of just 1 plastic. I'm just trying to help out some people with the same issue and cover my start up and production costs to do so.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from Canuckgamer99:

1. Reserved
2. Reserved
3. MustangPaul
4. Mhulsebu
5. Bos007
6. Bebopbanks
7. Pinballkyle
8. Jasontaps

#22 8 years ago

Update, just need a couple more sign ups and we will be ready to go!

I will be doing PETG and LEXAN for the original design with lip and PETG without lip.

The original is plexi and was advised against doing plexi again as it is not durable enough, PETG will be better.

#23 8 years ago

I'm in I sent you a PM

#24 8 years ago

Canuckgamer99:

1. Reserved
2. Reserved
3. MustangPaul
4. Mhulsebu
5. Bos007
6. Bebopbanks
7. Pinballkyle
8. Jasontaps
9. OgeistO

Only one more and we are going to production! Thanks!

#25 8 years ago

10= Turboderf I will also take one and you can send it with OgeistO in 1 shipping thanks

#26 8 years ago

Plus me!

#27 8 years ago

Canuckgamer99:

1. Reserved
2. Canuckgamer99 - 1 LEXAN, 1 PETG-l, 1 PETG-nl
3. MustangPaul
4. Mhulsebu
5. Bos007
6. Bebopbanks
7. Pinballkyle
8. Jasontaps
9. OgeistO
10. Turboderf
11. Pinzzz

Great news, thanks again everyone! We now have enough pre-orders for me to do production on these.

If you can please let me know now the kind you want to order and quantity I will reserve your selection but I will not ask for payment until they have been made. I will post up a picture of each one when ready so you can see what you are getting.

Options again are:

1. Lexan (strongest but may scratch a little easier than PETG)
2. PETG (Stronger than plexi, more scratch resistant but not as strong as Lexan)
3. PETG-nl (No lip over drop target, modified at request of PinballKyle, operator who uses this design today in his routed machines.)

All are $10USD each plus $5USD shipping to Canada and the US, International is at actual shipping cost.

I should be able to ship up to 2 in one package for $5, for 3 or more it would be actual shipping charges.

I will have 10 of each for the above, depending on demand Its possible to extend the run but I will have a limited window to do that, so please let me know as soon as possible.

And remember everyone who provides feedback to me on this first run will get a free version 2 (you pay shipping only) which will incorporate feedback from all versions.

Please PM your choice to me direct OR cut and paste the list above with your selection indicated.

#28 8 years ago

So the pros plastic # was -61.I don't even see one on my LE.Did they even include that protector on the LE?.Will this fit on a LE with pinbits protectors?.

#29 8 years ago

I don't think it was included on the LE. The distance on the pro is 2.5 inches from the centre of each screw. It should fit if the screws are long enough to accommodate one additional layer of plastic.image.jpgimage.jpg

#30 8 years ago

I have 2.5" on my LE and plenty of screw left even with pinbits protectors.So its a go!

#31 8 years ago

Canuckgamer99:

1. Reserved
2. Canuckgamer99 - 1 LEXAN, 1 PETG-l, 1 PETG-nl
3. MustangPaul
4. Mhulsebu
5. Bos007
6. Bebopbanks
7. Pinballkyle
8. Jasontaps
9. OgeistO
10. Turboderf
11. Pinzzz - 1 LEXAN

#32 8 years ago

Thanks Pinzzz, thats good news and good info for LE owners.

Also good news, I think these protectors will be ready this week, I will keep you posted!

#33 8 years ago

Great news! THESE ARE READY! See three options below. The Lexan ones are CNC routed and have a bit of a rougher edge. It's similar to the finish on the plastic ramps of the pro. It looks fine installed, pic below is a Lexan version installed on my machine.

The PET-G were laser cut and came out with a more polished edge.

The transparency on each is equal I would say.

Each plastic has an easily removable protective film on each side to protect it from scratching during shipping.

See pics below, please confirm your order and quantity and PM me your mailing address pls and I will give you my Paypal email. As soon as you are paid up I will ship them out, once shipped out I'll send you a tracking number.

PS please don't forget to send me some feedback on the protector!

image.jpgimage.jpg
image-779.jpgimage-779.jpg

#34 8 years ago

PP sent PM sent.1-Lexan

#35 8 years ago

Payment sent

#36 8 years ago

payment sent also thanks

#37 8 years ago

Anyone on the list below you order has shipped today, expect approximately 7-8 business days please.

Thanks again it wouldn't have been possible without all of you. Kind Regards.

-MustangPaul
-Mhulsebu
-Jasontaps
-OgeistO
-Turboderf
-Pinzzz

#38 8 years ago

Great! I would like to order the PETG-NL!

#39 8 years ago

Thanks Bebopbanks, yours, Ramjets and Bos007's will go out in tomorrow's mail.

Cheers!

#40 8 years ago

Awesome!!!!
Thanks so much!!!!!

#41 8 years ago

Still have a few left of each kind if anyone else wants to get one. Please send me a PM.

#42 8 years ago

Installed mine today, looks good and everything works as it should

#43 8 years ago

Look for my request via PM. Thanks for doing this!

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

Installed mine today, looks good and everything works as it should

Great thanks for the feedback! I've been running my Lexan one now for over 50 or so games and looks like new still too.

#45 8 years ago

I think my factory on broke because it was tightened down too hard at the factory. I could see marks where it was tightened once, loosened and moved then tightened again

#46 8 years ago

plastics well received, installation somewhere this week.

thanks

#47 8 years ago

Installed on my LE.I had to re-route some wires.Thats why stern left the plastic off the Prem and LE.Must of been too lazy to do this.So lets just leave it off!.

#48 8 years ago

Thanks Canuckgamer im saving mine till the factory one breaks

#49 8 years ago

Thanks for the updates!

1 week later
#50 8 years ago

Hi guys in case I run out, flippers.com, John's Jukes is stocking some of these now.

I do still have some left however of each version so happy to send you one direct.

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-star-trek-pro-drop-target-plastic-shield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.