DSC00064.JPG
DSC00063.JPG
DSC00062.JPG
DSC00061.JPG
DSC00060.JPG
DSC00059.JPG
DSC00058.JPG
DSC00057.JPG

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

#1 1 year ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

Game - for sale

For sale: Sorcerer One of a kind PROTOTYPE

Added: 2023-03-12 15:07:05 UTC • Re-listed: 1 time (September 7th, 2023) • Ended: October 2nd, 2023
Condition: HUO - Undocumented (Home Used Only)

Price

$ 6,500 (OBO)

Open for offers

For anyone that collects unique pinball games, I hope this gets your attention. I've been the proud owner of this beautiful one of a kind Williams Sorcerer prototype or Sample game. The differences between this game and the production run are significant. While the game plays exactly as the production game does, when I received the game there was no speech board, and there was an intact W10 jumper (green/brown) on the main board. On a hunch, I grabbed a spare Sorcerer speech board, plugged it in and cut the jumper, Voila! All original speech cues were there!

The main differences are all artwork related. As you can plainly see, the colors are wildly different than the original Orange and black's predominant on the production games. The plastics continue the serpent theme from the backglass versus the stone wall motif on the production games.

Other oddities reinforcing the case that this is a true prototype game are the decals applied. Top rollover lanes show "Advance Green X Value" vs Advance green X. The ADV Red X w/l under the ramps LOCK and RELEASE is also a decal. Insert lettering on this game is white ink, versus the black ink with the exception of the shoot again insert and the clear inserts for bonus numbers, and dropdown targets. The 2500 w/l by the right spinner on this game merely states "1000". Production games show "DEMON" on the bottom drop target insert, but this game shows Bonus Hold over.

Probably the most prominent feature is the missing plastic with the Sorcerer's eyes and flasher assembly on the back wall of the interior cabinet above the rear of the playfield.

The Williams Warranty decals all display the same 532 X 20015 indicating game 532 (1985 Sorcerer) and serial number game 15. My research over the years has not garnered any evidence of a lower serial numbered game anywhere.

All the boards (except of course for the added speech board) have the exact same number, so this game has all it's original boards in it, including the displays which are clean, clear, bright and have ZERO burn in them.

The backstory of this game is as follows: I have no proof that it's true, but I'm preserving it for the history. I bought the game over 20 years ago from a well known and large retailer in Chicago. I saw an ad for the game and it was advertised as a prototype, and included pictures on the IPDB including the above mentioned Warranty decal on the front with the number 15 on it. The wild artwork differences were obvious, so I got in contact to learn more about the game. What I was told was the game came in from the original owner, who was at the time they got the game, an employee at Williams, and offered to them in 1985 as a bonus was a pick of any of the three System 9 games they had in the warehouse from original testing/building that year. They took Sorcerer home with them, and owned it until they sold it to the retailer I bought it from. I bought the game from him and have had it since the late 90's maybe 2000. I can't remember exactly. I only did some initial clean up, checked functions, made some adjustments, wiped down the playfield etc. Noticed some battery leakage and removed the batteries, (none have been in it since I've owned it, and the damage over 20 years seems minimal and has not caused any issues). Since then I've stripped the playfield topside, cleaned polished and waxed it. Installed new rubber, bulbs and did a quick flipper rebuild. Added all new red star posts (old ones were full of old wax). New pinballs, original legs, new levelers, original keys and a set of target/drop target decals are included, but the originals are good and also a different color than standard.

The game plays perfectly. Literally not a single hiccup since bringing it out of storage. Starts right up, all features of the game work and score properly through all 4 players. I took some extra time to get the spinners cleaned and polished with a slight drop of race bearing oil and they spin like crazy!

I'm listing this game with what I believe to be a fair value for it based on it's rare nature, as well as the current market for pinball in general. PLEASE don't comment in a negative manner on whether or not you feel the value I've placed on it is realistic or not. I will let the market determine what the actual value is and as such will act accordingly. I don't ever comment that anyone's posting is way overpriced or that the seller is insane and will never get what they're asking because that sways potential buyers. I only ask the same courtesy from other members of this forum.
Not looking for trades, but I will listen to and discuss all terms and offers. Feel free to contact me directly through this forum.

I can help with preparing it for shipping, but will ask that any buyer who's not able to come and get it personally, to know that the heavy lifting (so to speak) will be on their end to make arrangements to have it moved in any fashion they wish.

Item photos

DSC00025.JPG
DSC00026.JPG
DSC00027.JPG
DSC00028.JPG
DSC00029.JPG
DSC00030.JPG
DSC00031.JPG
DSC00032.JPG
DSC00033.JPG
DSC00034.JPG
DSC00035.JPG
DSC00036.JPG
DSC00037.JPG
DSC00038.JPG
DSC00039.JPG
DSC00040.JPG
DSC00041.JPG
DSC00042.JPG
DSC00043.JPG
DSC00044.JPG
DSC00045.JPG
DSC00046.JPG
DSC00047.JPG
DSC00048.JPG
DSC00049.JPG
DSC00050.JPG
DSC00051.JPG
DSC00052.JPG
DSC00053.JPG
DSC00054.JPG
DSC00055.JPG
DSC00056.JPG
DSC00057.JPG
DSC00058.JPG
DSC00059.JPG
DSC00060.JPG
DSC00061.JPG
DSC00062.JPG
DSC00063.JPG
DSC00064.JPG
DSC00065.JPG
DSC00066.JPG
DSC00067.JPG
DSC00068.JPG
DSC00069.JPG
DSC00070.JPG
DSC00071.JPG

Photos not showing? Make sure your ad blocker plugin is not hiding them.

Contact

Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!

Seller insights

These are Vinnypin's market stats.

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

100.0%

Go to Vinnypin's stats page

Listing result

The seller marked this ad as "not sold". The item did not sell through Pinside so there's no listing result.

Item location

Charlotte, NC, US

Related shop items!

Interested in this game? Also check out these related Pinside Shops items!

$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

#2 1 year ago

Interesting story and machine! Good luck with sale!

#3 1 year ago

Gorgeous game, playfield and plastics are very cool.

#4 1 year ago

Negative comment. Overpriced. You can’t tell me what to do no matter how many paragraphs you type!

#5 1 year ago

Colors look great! Note there are no plastics or eyes on the backboard like in the released version.

#6 1 year ago

Good luck

#7 1 year ago

Nice game! For the future buyer be sure to do those fuse updates at the bridges. Glwts

#8 1 year ago

Cool bit of history! I have a regular Sorcerer, so it is interesting to see the differences. GLWS

#9 1 year ago

There are some interesting differences to be sure. I am wondering if you ever changed the ROMs? I have an early run Sorcerer (stainless steel coin door) and my ROMS are marked PROTO 1, while yours are the later REV 1.

Sorcerer ROMs (resized).pngSorcerer ROMs (resized).png

(Don't worry. Those batteries were long since replaced with a coin cell.)

#10 1 year ago

Nope, only thing I changed was the addition of the speech board. And yes, they are all marked as revision one. What serial number is on your game, and boards? I'd be curious to hear back on that. That's actually one of the reasons I tried the speech board, since they were REV 1 roms, and the jumper was definitely an add on (not the typical short white jumper wire, or bare metal wire) this was a 5 inch length of wire soldered into the jumper slots. Again all is as I originally purchased it.

Thanks for the info!

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from WGPE:

Negative comment. Overpriced. You can’t tell me what to do no matter how many paragraphs you type!

Hey thanks, I really appreciate seeing that there still trolls such as yourself patrolling the internet and enthusiast forums like this one, even after decades and decades. Wouldn't want your species to go extinct now would we?

Oh and if you actually read my post, and all of the paragraphs, ( sounds like that was a challenge for you ), let me explain that I didn't TELL anyone what to do.. I politely asked for some decorum.. that's DAY core UM for those of your kind that are challenged intellectually and verbally.. it means to behave in a nice manner towards others.

I know better to expect everyone to play nicely, so once again, I applaud you for being the obvious, expected cliche that you are. You should be satisfied now that I've fed you. You may be excused.

Have a great day!

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from Vinnypin:

Nope, only thing I changed was the addition of the speech board. And yes, they are all marked as revision one. What serial number is on your game, and boards? I'd be curious to hear back on that. That's actually one of the reasons I tried the speech board, since they were REV 1 roms, and the jumper was definitely an add on (not the typical short white jumper wire, or bare metal wire) this was a 5 inch length of wire soldered into the jumper slots. Again all is as I originally purchased it.
Thanks for the info!

I'm 120. Definitely later than yours. If that game really was at Williams until 1985, I imagine your ROMs may well have been updated there.

#13 1 year ago

Some video links from tonight:

Playfield overview in detail and a couple of gameplay vids. No comments on how badly I played, these were just shot to show the game working. Ok if you must comment on how badly I played tonight go right ahead, won't hurt my feelings. Even Mr. Troll can comment if he wants to!

Startup and gameplay

Game 2

Playfield overview

#14 1 year ago

Outfreakingstanding!! Great piece of pinball history. GLWTS, someone will score a gem!

#15 1 year ago

I love stuff like this. Super rad! It's crazy to think how many changes to the art they would through production. I imagine then it wasn't easy!

3 weeks later
5 months later
#17 7 months ago

Relisted, lowered price. Hoping to find a good home for this one!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-sorcerer-one-of-a-kind-prototype and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.