Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Turboghia
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 32 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

A5AC510C-EFAE-47C1-A300-68B836DF4C5B (resized).jpeg
BCC551A7-2701-48BA-8909-769F96D6C622 (resized).jpeg
DAA898DB-3E98-487C-B262-F22D92F6BA70 (resized).jpeg
33A21AFE-0A4E-40FC-9129-56B90BF66185 (resized).jpeg
CA237A54-1381-40DA-804A-078DF09D3216 (resized).jpeg
1277C4CF-8AF8-4B41-B71B-0855B3248D94 (resized).jpeg
94104C24-8286-4847-A1EE-5512F02428E9 (resized).jpeg
09B60FDB-EF39-4CD0-984B-03356258CA7A (resized).jpeg
0E6E86A6-BB8E-4AAB-9A2B-D54501F0D38B (resized).jpeg
744F1E48-1366-4071-8067-35F123756EEE (resized).jpeg
A4D47D22-6275-4ED8-8896-C3D98DF3F695 (resized).jpeg
590E1E4A-B7D2-4C35-ABC9-4EF34D7E44D2 (resized).jpeg
63EFEC6E-9567-40E1-A789-9D108768BB3A (resized).jpeg
BE2B5805-DC5D-4BA3-9A14-BE2F6FA08578 (resized).jpeg
67CFAB96-2959-405D-8603-695C4AE5BF6F (resized).jpeg
B65D0B89-0467-4AA3-82CB-48B9023471A7 (resized).jpeg

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

for sale

For sale: Simpsons, The

Added: September 27th, 2017 Ended: November 1st, 2017
Condition: Fully shopped/refurbished

Price

$ 1,700 (Firm)

Price is firm

Item description

Simpsons Pinball Machine by Data East. Working player's condition.
Good:
Original mirrored backglass is in great condition for its age
New Nuke Stack Bumper covers installed
New 5-piece Plastic set installed
New Rubbers installed
LEDs throughout
New Flipper Bats
New Target Decals
Superbands on the flippers
New Drop Targets at the bowling pins

Not so good:
Missing one Plastic over the bowling pin drop targets
Wire ramps need to be stripped and repainted
A couple of chipped and repaired plastics
Cabinet has wear throughout...was routed
A few areas on the playfield have wear (typical places for this title) and were covered with decals and Mylar. Looks good but not perfect. The lights do penetrate the decals well. The areas decaled include the outlanes, area around the flippers and below, area around Moe and area around spinner. You have to look really close to see them but they are there.

Item photos

IMG_2037 (resized).JPG
IMG_2038 (resized).JPG
IMG_2039 (resized).JPG
6D2EC923-29A5-43AD-80BC-AEECA210788A (resized).jpeg
08570885-D70A-4113-9D96-260BDC4F2082 (resized).jpeg
B65D0B89-0467-4AA3-82CB-48B9023471A7 (resized).jpeg
67CFAB96-2959-405D-8603-695C4AE5BF6F (resized).jpeg
BE2B5805-DC5D-4BA3-9A14-BE2F6FA08578 (resized).jpeg
63EFEC6E-9567-40E1-A789-9D108768BB3A (resized).jpeg
590E1E4A-B7D2-4C35-ABC9-4EF34D7E44D2 (resized).jpeg
A4D47D22-6275-4ED8-8896-C3D98DF3F695 (resized).jpeg
744F1E48-1366-4071-8067-35F123756EEE (resized).jpeg
0E6E86A6-BB8E-4AAB-9A2B-D54501F0D38B (resized).jpeg
09B60FDB-EF39-4CD0-984B-03356258CA7A (resized).jpeg
94104C24-8286-4847-A1EE-5512F02428E9 (resized).jpeg
1277C4CF-8AF8-4B41-B71B-0855B3248D94 (resized).jpeg
CA237A54-1381-40DA-804A-078DF09D3216 (resized).jpeg
33A21AFE-0A4E-40FC-9129-56B90BF66185 (resized).jpeg
DAA898DB-3E98-487C-B262-F22D92F6BA70 (resized).jpeg
BCC551A7-2701-48BA-8909-769F96D6C622 (resized).jpeg
A5AC510C-EFAE-47C1-A300-68B836DF4C5B (resized).jpeg

Photos not showing? Make sure your ad blocker plugin is not hiding them.

Contact

Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!

Listing result

The seller ended this ad and indicated the game eventually sold for $ 1,700

Seller contributed to Pinside for selling this item!

Item location

fairfax, va, US

Location not recognised by our GeoCoder. Please double check the city name and state. If the problem persists, please contact us.

Seller insights

These are Turboghia's all time market stats.

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

100.0%

Go to Turboghia's stats page

#2 3 years ago

I may be driving up to northern Delaware tomorrow morning and could possibly bring the pin

#3 3 years ago

Price lowered to $1800

1 week later
#4 3 years ago

$1750

#5 3 years ago

$1700. Price lowered for the last time

#6 3 years ago

Bump

#7 3 years ago

you probably will sell it if you go back and do the LED's correctly.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Please educate me, what colors and where should I place the LEDs? Going on auction; price will reflect the charges and trouble.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Turboghia:

Please educate me, what colors and where should I place the LEDs?

DE Simpsons has a lot of color everywhere, so a uniform cool or warm white, perhaps with a few accents here or there is the way to go.

Purple doesn't exist at all on that PF, so it adds nothing to the presentation of the art... and I'd argue that it actually takes away.

Because the game originally came with incandescents, warm white will look best IMO, but you can also try half and half warm/cool (left and right side of PF) and see which one looks best and then do that throughout. From there, if you want to accent, I think the 3 places to accent would be a bit of red around the pops, a bit of yellow on the left, and a bit of green on the right (where the wireforms are).

There's just so much happening on that PF art, and because there's only really yellow, red, pink, black, and blue, washing an area with one color (purple or other) really doesn't let that PF shine.

#10 3 years ago

... and as for the backbox, in both of those pictures, Homer is purple, not his usual yellow. The family car is driving through a bunch of blue plants and the sky is purple. Bart's head and hands are different shades of yellow and his hand is purple.

When I had my DE Simpsons, I think I counted maybe 20 flashers, and the rest were general. The flashers should be bright (they're flashers). The rest can be white or colored, but only colored if they don't bleed into other areas. You may be able to get the bushes green, sky blue & cloud white, Homer & Bart to be yellow, and whatnot, but I wouldn't do anything that makes other things look incorrect. That takes away from the "craziness ensuing on the rolling hills of Springfield" picture they created.

It's such a freggin' good BG on its' own. I think again letting the colors stand for themselves and going primarily white isn't the worst idea.

#11 3 years ago

Thanks. Warm/cool white combo LEDs it is. I appreciate the help

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Will you stop with LED bashing? We like it, also we get it that you like the cool white everywhere, that's fine. Geez.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Turboghia:

Thanks. Warm/cool white combo LEDs it is. I appreciate the help

Don't listen to that. Have you played a game with all cool or warm lights in it? It's like playing a game with a big fluorescent light in the PF. These guys' sense of aesthetics are a bit off. You do what you like to your game, after all, it's your machine.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Will you stop with LED bashing? We like it, also we get it that you like the cool white everywhere, that's fine. Geez.

He's not bashing LEDs. He's saying it needs "work". Over all the game looks very dark which doesn't really fit a colorful cartoon theme does it? Also some of the color combinations are off. For instance the blue LEDS under homer on the backglass are giving his skin tone a pinkish hue.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Don't listen to that. Have you played a game with all cool or warm lights in it? It's like playing a game with a big fluorescent light in the PF. These guys' sense of aesthetics are a bit off. You do what you like to your game, after all, it's your machine.

Did you even read my posts above or bother to look real close at his pictures? There's so much incorrect color washing throughout the game, the art no longer makes sense. Bushes are supposed to be green, not purple. The Simpsons are yellow, not purple. And purple washing a PF where the're no purple used at all doesn't add to the game at all. Factor in that the PF background is black and that there aren't any spotlights and DE Simpsons is a dark game. Using darker colored LEDs as GI makes it hard to see the ball.

Also, he asked about what others think. It may be his game now, but he's trying to NOT make it his game by process of selling it. It's a fun DE title, priced right where it should be, yet it's been sitting unsold in a very densely populated area. Perhaps those pictures are turning some off and something a bit more "neutral" and camera-friendly would help sell it quicker.

FFS, do you also yell at your real estate agent when trying to sell your unsold house for months and she kindly suggests that maybe magenta house paint may be keeping feet from coming through the door?

Anyways, bump for OP and a fun game.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

He's not bashing LEDs. He's saying it needs "work". Over all the game looks very dark which doesn't really fit a colorful cartoon theme does it? Also some of the color combinations are off. For instance the blue LEDS under homer on the backglass are giving his skin tone a pinkish hue.

I agree, the colors are off, I wouldn't have done that, but the game will absolutely look good with color leds in the GI. Just not the strong blues. I personally think cool or warm light don't add any atmosphere to the game.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

no, it looks like shit every time. People need to stop doing this. Others are tricking other people that it looks ok or fine. It does not, and never does. There is a science behind it. If you want your games to look good. I mean truly good, you have to fully understand how lights and color work together. Not only for 1 color in the area, but every color in the area, both on the playfield and plastics. I sent him a PM explaining in detail how to make this game look fantastic.

As other suggested, Since most of the plastics are red. That falls into the Warm or daylight/sunlight white section. Reds, yellows, and oranges primarily benefit from warm whites. 2smb's for areas you really want to light intense. 1smb for little less light.

Cool white (bluish hue) works well if you have all blue, green or purple in the surrounding area.

for backboxes, you want the dimmer whites, as you want to cut down on backglass glare as much as you can. I pull all bulbs out except 6 or 7, and space them out over the backglass panel. Most people cannot tell all the bulbs are almost gone, and cuts backglass glare down by at least 80%.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Did you even read my posts above or bother to look real close at his pictures? There's so much incorrect color washing throughout the game, the art no longer makes sense. Bushes are supposed to be green, not purple. The Simpsons are yellow, not purple. And purple washing a PF where the're no purple used at all doesn't add to the game at all. Factor in that the PF background is black and that there aren't any spotlights and DE Simpsons is a dark game. Using darker colored LEDs as GI makes it hard to see the ball.
Also, he asked about what others think. It may be his game now, but he's trying to NOT make it his game by process of selling it. It's a fun DE title, priced right where it should be, yet it's been sitting unsold in a very densely populated area. Perhaps those pictures are turning some off and something a bit more "neutral" and camera-friendly would help sell it quicker.
FFS, do you also yell at your real estate agent when trying to sell your unsold house for months and she kindly suggests that maybe magenta house paint may be keeping feet from coming through the door?
Anyways, bump for OP and a fun game.

Sorry if I came on too strong with my comment. I agree the light under the bushes should have been green, white under the characters, but the if matched correctly the with the plastics the game would pop much more than incandescents or just plain warm whites. Save those for EMs.

Neo, I realize that I picked the wrong game to make my point. This guy judging from his posting history is a flipper and he probably ran out of correct bulbs and put blues everywhere before posting this ad. But you don't miss a chance to criticize games with color LEDs. I've seen pics of the games you have posted, none of them had any color LEDs in them...so far.

#19 3 years ago

you can't use colored under the bushes either, because it directly effects the graphics on the playfield as well.

Think of it like this. If you ever developed black and white film in your life, you will know what it's like to be in a dark room with the red light on. Now take any picture in there that has anything but red and black on it. Any color beyond those 2, will be destroyed. If you have greens and reds in the art, you wont' even be able to tell the difference between the two. If there is white in the art. It has now turned the white into red, which the white now mushes with red, making it look like more red. This hold true with all colors.

The ONLY way you can get away with a color LED in a GI position, is if...and only if. That area has:

1. Plastic above it is 1 solid color or 1 solid color with only black
2. Area is completely surrounded so no light can escape out the sides and project on the playfield, or projects into a all black area of the field.
or
you are lighting a black deep tunnel, where you couldn't see any art anyway, and playfield is solid black anyway. (like under the mini playfield on SOF.

Maybe i'm more passionate about the raping of art by improper use of color because i'm a professional artist. But there isn't an artist around that doesn't consider this an abomination to art. When it comes to colors, light and art, I think we are the experts, and if we don't say something, who will? It would be like, going to a museum, and seeing the Mona Lisa with a Green or purple spot light on her. That person would deserve a kick in the crotch.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you can't use colored under the bushes either, because it directly effects the graphics on the playfield as well.
Think of it like this. If you ever developed black and white film in your life, you will know what it's like to be in a dark room with the red light on. Now take any picture in there that has anything but red and black on it. Any color beyond those 2, will be destroyed. If you have greens and reds in the art, you wont' even be able to tell the difference between the two. If there is white in the art. It has now turned the white into red, which the white now mushes with red, making it look like more red. This hold true with all colors.
The ONLY way you can get away with a color LED in a GI position, is if...and only if. That area has:
1. Plastic above it is 1 solid color or 1 solid color with only black
2. Area is completely surrounded so no light can escape out the sides and project on the playfield, or projects into a all black area of the field.
or
you are lighting a black deep tunnel, where you couldn't see any art anyway, and playfield is solid black anyway. (like under the mini playfield on SOF.

You redeemed me with this post, Of course, green would look good under the bushes plastic and red under the slings. Your taste would work great for EMs.

Here is a game with mindless cool whites in it vs color:

Simpsons3 (resized).jpg

maxresdefault (resized).jpg

#21 3 years ago

Just as someone looking through the ads? No Led experience at all.......The first thing that hit me when I saw the pics was.."Damn that's purple". Then I thought..."maybe just bad pics"

I think it looks cool, but if I wanted to buy that game I'd rather do my own customizing. You may even get more interest just throwing the regular bulbs back in. Simple, quick and easy.... If I was after that game it wouldn't mater to me, I'd just change it after I bought it. But maybe others don't want to go through all that. No, clue....

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

You redeemed me with this post, Of course, green would look good under the bushes plastic and red under the slings. Your taste would work great for EMs.
Here is a game with mindless cool whites in it vs color:

the white looks soooooo much better. Notice how you can actually see the playfield on the one in white. The other one would be almost unplayable in a dimly lit room. IF those are cool whites, they should be done in warm white. Most of the plastics are red/yellow. Both warm spectrum colors. It will compliment them much better than cool will.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

the white looks soooooo much better. Notice how you can actually see the playfield on the one in white. The other one would be almost unplayable in a dimly lit room. IF those are cool whites, they should be done in warm white. Most of the plastics are red/yellow. Both warm spectrum colors. It will compliment them much better than cool will.

Again, thanks for making my point. I rest my case.......... here are a couple of my games:

P1030817 (resized).JPG

P1040290 (resized).JPG

#24 3 years ago

I like de Simpson's but no expert on colors as my wife picks out my clothes to go out damn!
GLWS

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Again, thanks for making my point. I rest my case.......... here are a couple of my games:

bk2k looks horrible on the lower half of the field. and the extreme top.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

bk2k looks horrible on the lower half of the field.

Neo, you don't know jack....stick with woodrails.

#27 3 years ago

This thread is on fire now, can we take the LED debate to my MM for sale ad, I could use the traffic...
I have colored LEDs in the GI so the conversation will still apply...

#28 3 years ago

I wanted to thank all of you for your help...a variety of opinions help. I have baskets of incandescent bulbs. Maybe I will just put 47s back in and offer to include some LEDs to any potential buyers. I have Cool White LEDs in my Jokerz and after many tests with other colors/hues the Cool White look the best in my opinion. I threw colors in The Simpsons because it was for my kids, and I agree with you guys/girls it’s unappealing but they were leftover LEDs from other restos so it was a quick lazy attempt to color everything. On a side note: as most of you know taking photos exaggerates the LEDs; they aren’t really that intense in person.

#29 3 years ago

The color LED's look like crap in the GI in all the pictures posted here. I have seen colored LED's work in the GI, but usually it doesn't. I'm a hypocrite though because my black hole is all blue LED's in the GI and it looks sick AF

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

really? Now you are just screwing with me. you think this looks good? You have to be fawking with me now. Good one...you got me.

With it dark outside, and the room dimly lit. This game would be absolutely unplayable. If you used it for a tournament or league, everyone would be bitching they can't see the damn ball.

5f1adef23e605cd4e05f7a738ed01ebe8bc91e0e (resized).jpg

#31 3 years ago

I wager that you and Haymaker are in the minority here...put up a poll and with all cool whites vs colors in GI and the losers will donate 50 bucks to Pinside.

#32 3 years ago

Also, I’m way over $1700 into this game. But if I sell it without the LEDs and only have standard incandescent bulbs in it, I may take a few dollars off .

On auction I will stay at $2k to cover the charges

#33 3 years ago

you don't want to make that wager. I put up a big discussion and and explanation on facebook about the right and wrong ways to do LED lighting in a pinball machine. All veterans of pinball agreed. Only ones who disagree are some of the newer guys that only been here for 5 years or less, and Stevie Wonder gave it a thumbs down. You would be surprised how many people hate it when people LED like this.

#34 3 years ago

I vote white for gi

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you don't want to make that wager. I put up a big discussion and and explanation on facebook about the right and wrong ways to do LED lighting in a pinball machine. All veterans of pinball agreed. Only ones who disagree are some of the newer guys that only been here for 5 years or less, and Stevie Wonder gave it a thumbs down. You would be surprised how many people hate it when people LED like this.

Lol...see that's what I'm talking about..... "All veterans of pinball agreed" Bunch of old farts : )

297 (resized).png

#36 3 years ago

and you would think us old farts would be the ones that are color blind. Seems to be the other way around. Or the younger generations are distracted by blinky things.

#37 3 years ago

Im old and like colored gi...im not sure where that leaves me

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Im old and like colored gi...im not sure where that leaves me

8c7dd584b45e0cafe9bc994aee611e2c (resized).jpg

#39 3 years ago

I agree with Neo that the white GI on Simpsons looks 100 times better, however those particular LEDs are way too bright. Perhaps it's not as intense in person though. I personally use frosted LEDs in any GI or bulb that isn't under the playfield to help diffuse the light. If LEDs (or any lights for that matter) are placed correctly, you shouldn't even notice them at all.

#40 3 years ago

I have a DE Simps and have all warm white Comet frosted LEDs and incandescent flashers in the backbox, incandescent #47's in all the GI, incandescent flashers above & below the playfield, and color-matched Comet frosted LEDs under all the inserts. Bright enough to play in a dark room, and all colors are natural and look smashing. The only difference I see is that all the clear & yellow inserts are a bit brighter & whiter than when they had incandescents under them, but it's a much better difference.

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

I have a DE Simps and have all warm white Comet frosted LEDs and incandescent flashers in the backbox, incandescent #47's in all the GI, incandescent flashers above & below the playfield, and color-matched Comet frosted LEDs under all the inserts. Bright enough to play in a dark room, and all colors are natural and look smashing. The only difference I see is that all the clear & yellow inserts are a bit brighter & whiter than when they had incandescents under them, but it's a much better difference.

Any pics?

#42 3 years ago

Taken in a 99.9% dark room with playfield glass off. GI shows up a little brighter in the pics, but not much. Personally, I don't get the whole 'washing out all the colors in the plastics with colored GI underneath' but to each his own.

100_8067 (resized).JPG
100_8072 (resized).JPG

#43 3 years ago

Advice to the OP. You should change the price in the headline to reflect your new price. It is still listed as 2k when scrolling through topics. May bring some new traffic your way.

#44 3 years ago

Price is $1700. I’m taking the LEDs out and putting in incandescent bulbs. Photos will be updated shortly

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Taken in a 99.9% dark room with playfield glass off. GI shows up a little brighter in the pics, but not much. Personally, I don't get the whole 'washing out all the colors in the plastics with colored GI underneath' but to each his own.

looks perfect. Well done.

#46 3 years ago

Hey look ! The Simpsons are yellow again . Nice Job.

#47 3 years ago

You can also save some money and leave the incandescents in there and just hang a fluorescent light over the game.

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I wager that you and Haymaker are in the minority here...put up a poll and with all cool whites vs colors in GI and the losers will donate 50 bucks to Pinside.

Cool whites are not great except for in "futuristic" games like DM or JM. Otherwise they tend to make things look like an operating room. Especially terrible in games like LOTR or Sorcerer that really need that warm glow.

You can't go wrong defaulting to warm white for the GI and backbox (and like Neo suggests, selectively removing backbox bulbs to get the level of illumination you want), and color-matched for inserts. It gives a brighter version of what you'd get with incandescents, slightly different white light but pretty close unless they're sitting side by side.

#49 3 years ago

I hear ya, this is a clash of taste or preferences. There is no right or wrong, if either philosophy is implemented correctly. I don't play with the lights off, so colored GI LEDs under plastics does not bother me. These other gents, however, like to see the ball clearly and maybe it's preferential in league meets and such. I don't have those restrictions. I like my DM blue and I like my FT green. It fits the theme better for me. I never cared for as you put it the operating room look. Here are some old pics:

P1040304 (resized).JPG

MET-i (resized).jpg

#50 3 years ago

I’ve replaced the backbox lights with incandescent bulbs and agree it looks better. Photos have been updated. I will try and replace the rest of the bulbs this weekend and update the photos

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside