D9993889-8385-4D46-B9F6-761CB190FC49 (resized).jpeg
9B24F1B7-760E-41E9-9022-80A84CD40917 (resized).jpeg
7E3F6154-421E-48DB-93FA-A7426D548D7E (resized).jpeg
C3417CC4-BFE1-4778-8657-FD60956354E8 (resized).jpeg
CA708CE6-B640-42C4-8DBB-3998AC2FDC49 (resized).jpeg
A7CE7F05-B623-40A3-901E-977F79CCF6D5 (resized).jpeg
2E61BF1F-47D5-41A1-A9F2-CE2A326C6CB0 (resized).jpeg
75CE5A74-23C7-4A04-A0A0-90F856969809 (resized).jpeg

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has expired, so this topic closed automatically.

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

EXPIRED

Expired ad

This ad has expired and was removed from the MarketPlace. The owner has been requested to end their ad, so it can be archived.

Game - for sale

For sale: Rocky

Added: 2020-02-13 08:45:22 UTC
Condition: As is

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from Dazaa:

Has been in storage for years

https://www.reddit.com/r/pinball/comments/f28qmt/just_saved_this_from_the_scrapyard_gottlieb_rocky/

So by storage, you mean a scrapyard... and it was “stored” in a rodent infested shed right? You forgot to disclose that bit.

Unless that was a different Rocky with the same decal wear on the coin door and a different person named Daza. If so, my bad.

Good luck with your sale!

#3 4 years ago

Dazza

Based on pics and description you are asking way to much for this project machine.
I would be very impressed if someone paid half your asking price.
Good luck.
-Mike

#4 4 years ago

Save yourself while you can. Either remove this or drop the price to what’s realistic for the title in this condition...550GBP.

#5 4 years ago

I saw the Reddit post a couple of days ago. $4k?!?!?

I hate jerks.

#6 4 years ago

Man my mint Rocky with NOS playfield must be worth a fortune.

#7 4 years ago

Listen, after the match, how about we get a Polaroid together?

rocky-iii-hulk-hogan (resized).jpgrocky-iii-hulk-hogan (resized).jpg
#8 4 years ago

Show under the playfield too you savage. This is $1500 machine MAYBE

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Listen, after the match, how about we get a Polaroid together?[quoted image]

“Yeah, all right.“

The Ultimate Male vs the Ultimate Meatball!

My favorite lines in that whole movie are the Rocky and Mickey lines before the Hulk fight:
Thanks
Rocky: “why’re they carrying him?”
Mickey: “he’s walkin’.”

And

Rocky: “How much do you think he eats?”
Mickey: “about 2 hundred and 2 pounds”
Ring announcer: “...and weighing in at 2 hundred and 2 pounds, Rocky Balboa!”

#10 4 years ago

Apparently this is not the machine that’s featured in Rocky 3, that was a retheme of something else (Edit: Gottlieb Force II apparently)

#12 4 years ago

I'd offer $500 as is.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

Man my mint Rocky with NOS playfield must be worth a fortune.

at least $10K

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

at least $10K

By Christmas!

#15 4 years ago

Wow such negative replies.

I BOUGHT the machine off a friend who works at the yard, you think he calls me about good stuff and gives it to me for free or pennies? Next time you pass by a metal yard walk in and start asking for freebies, take note of the reaction you receive. He checked ebay, saw one that sold for 6k restored and I paid a significant amount of money for it having not first seen it in person, (i'm too young to have been from the generation who actually grew up around these machines and had never seen one in person before) after collecting it I realised it's just way too big for my house, no chance it would fit anywhere.

As for the price, I clearly stated make me an offer, if you have a problem with a student trying to make a few pennies to survive law school (AND learn about a whole new hobby whilst doing so) via a legitimate means then i'm too polite to tell you what to do with your opinions

The replies on here make me think i'd have been better off leaving it to be crushed.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from ryanbrooks:

Save yourself while you can. Either remove this or drop the price to what’s realistic for the title in this condition...550GBP.

Already turned down double that, which fyi is close to what I paid. 4K was just a number I threw out, I know it's not worth that but it says make an offer!

#17 4 years ago

Sounds like you guys want to Cuff and Link him. Yo Butkus!

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Dazaa:

Welcome to Pinside. If you are relying on selling this to help get ya through school I sincerely hope you have the student loan app in process as a back up plan......

Quoted from Dazaa:

i'm too polite to tell you what to do with your opinions

Don't be - you will get a lotta free bumps on your ad giving it right back to us.....

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Dazaa:

In your reddit post the thing is covered in mouse droppings and you said it was in a shed. Where is that info here? Technically that's storage I guess?

Would you be happy picking up a game soiled with rodent waste that came from an old shed if it was marketed as being in storage for a long time?

Probably not. Hence the negative comments.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Dazaa:

Already turned down double that, which fyi is close to what I paid. 4K was just a number I threw out, I know it's not worth that but it says make an offer!

You posted this for sale in a place where the buyers are the savviest in the hobby. If you paid over 1000 pounds, you paid too much. Don’t rely on eBay prices, but if a restored Rocky brought 6k, your machine is going to take almost 5k to get to that condition-assuming you do all the work yourself. I’m not attacking you. I warned you-this isn’t the place to try to sell this title in this condition for your price.

#21 4 years ago

Seller posts shady listing with clear disconnect between description and photos (AND apparently a reddit post).

Pinsiders notice.

Seller responds with vitriol! look, your potential buyers are reading all this. Maybe they don’t want to deal with a seller who’s going to get all pissy.

Perhaps you don’t get it that Pinside is a pinball enthusiast’s site. Where lots of people are super passionate about the games. And where you should expect some major scrutiny.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Seller posts shady listing with clear disconnect between description and photos (AND apparently a reddit post).
Pinsiders notice.
Seller responds with vitriol! look, your potential buyers are reading all this. Maybe they don’t want to deal with a seller who’s going to get all pissy.
Perhaps you don’t get it that Pinside is a pinball enthusiast’s site. Where lots of people are super passionate about the games. And where you should expect some major scrutiny.

Not sure what you mean by shady listing, i'm being very open in that I know next to nothing about these machines and if a UK based buyer is interested they are more than welcome to come over and inspect it themselves, otherwise i'm happy to send as many close up pictures or even a video if an interested buyer requests.
Yes I posted it on reddit as soon as I saw it, people like seeing the stuff that I find.

With regards to the comments about it apparently being infested by mice, there were some droppings on the glass when it was brought in, not a huge shock from something that has clearly been unused and in a pub basement for the past 30 years, I posted close up pics of the playfield to show that it's clean inside and have no issue posting more of the inside of the cabinet.

Feel free to scrutinise, I have nothing to hide. I simply wish to pass this on to a good home where it will be restored. Some of the posts on here just sound like people have a problem with the fact I found it and now want to sell it.

And for anyone interested, I told my friend to ask the person who brought it in about the history of the machine as he is a regular customer at the yard, apparently it came from the basement of a pub that is being demo'd, he had an idea that it must have some value but was making more than enough off the clearance job and couldn't be bothered to deal with such a large item.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from ryanbrooks:

You posted this for sale in a place where the buyers are the savviest in the hobby. If you paid over 1000 pounds, you paid too much. Don’t rely on eBay prices, but if a restored Rocky brought 6k, your machine is going to take almost 5k to get to that condition-assuming you do all the work yourself. I’m not attacking you. I warned you-this isn’t the place to try to sell this title in this condition for your price.

live and learn, a week ago the name Gottlieb meant nothing to me, now I know a little about pinballs, how they work and just how expensive restoration can be.

As I said above, I know the price is ridiculous, but thats why i'm open to offers! I'm also willing to crate it and ship worldwide.

#24 4 years ago

You will be a great lawyer and feel like a real good guy doing it.
glws

#25 4 years ago

You may want to remove the battery before if leaks further on the MPU.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Londonpinball:

You will be a great lawyer and feel like a real good guy doing it.
glws

He sounds more like my congressman in a TV interview than my lawyer...

#27 4 years ago

Curious as to why i’d be lucky to get half of what i’m asking when a non working project machine sold for 3500 dollars?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-rocky-2

#28 4 years ago

You would be a fool to sell this asset

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from Dazaa:

Curious as to why i’d be lucky to get half of what i’m asking when a non working project machine sold for 3500 dollars?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-rocky-2

Curious how you know how much this machine sold for.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Curious how you know how much this machine sold for.

It says 3500 obo so it must have been around that?

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from Dazaa:

Purely speculation

#32 4 years ago

That one sold over asking 4 sure

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

You may want to remove the battery before if leaks further on the MPU.

It doesn’t appear to have leaked yet, best to leave in place for the buyer to deal with or desolder now?

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Purely speculation

So what do you value that one at needing a new board and repair?

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Dazaa:

Dude, that game looks 10x better than yours AND it has the backglass.

We all saw your reddit post. This game was OUTSIDE. Thats a huge red flag bro. You also arent posting pics of under the playfield, or the inside of the cab. There could be a rats nest in there, or burnt up coils. All kinds of bad stuff. Who wants to buy something with such uncertainty?

Take it to ebay if you dont want a community of pinball people to tell you like it is.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Dude, that game looks 10x better than yours AND it has the backglass.
We all saw your reddit post. This game was OUTSIDE. Thats a huge red flag bro. You also arent posting pics of under the playfield, or the inside of the cab. There could be a rats nest in there, or burnt up coils. All kinds of bad stuff. Who wants to buy something with such uncertainty?
Take it to ebay if you dont want a community of pinball people to tell you like it is.

It was outside for 5 hours, from being dropped off and then being collected by me
So I should post up pictures of the inside?

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from Dazaa:

It doesn’t appear to have leaked yet, best to leave in place for the buyer to deal with or desolder now?

Its clearly leaking, look at green corrosion around the battery area.

41f56dc3436691415c30f96b72022dfc68737b18 (resized).jpeg41f56dc3436691415c30f96b72022dfc68737b18 (resized).jpeg

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Dazaa:

It was outside for 5 hours, from being dropped off and then being collected by me
So I should post up pictures of the inside? FYI i clearly state new backglass is 250.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Dazaa:

So I should post up pictures of the inside?

The light panel in the backbox has clearly been exposed to a lot of moisture and is swelling and delaminating.

#40 4 years ago

Just snip the battery off.

Yes, absolutely take pictures of the inside.

Watch this video to see how to open a pinball machine. Be careful.

#41 4 years ago

Mate,
I can understand feeling attacked by what is being said here, however the main problem is that this game is simply not worth anywhere near what you are asking. Knowing what we know about the origins of the game also raises several red flags for us. Despite it being in the scrapyard for only a short while, the game shows all the signs of dangerous storage conditions before arriving there. Most likely this would be a parts game only, not a contender for a resto. Possibly somebody might want to try to save it, but it would cost much more than the game is worth. The boards are nearly ruined (possibly actually ruined), the backglass is missing, and it appears to have water and rodent damage. Depending on what you paid, there is probably room for you to profit here and put toward your schooling, which I fully support, but it most likely be significantly less than what you were expecting. If somebody actually offered you 1100GBP ($1450 USD) I would take that money and RUN

I think the vitriol you are experiencing mainly stems from the non disclosure of the conditions in which it came from, which is expected. That is somewhat of a major fuex pas in our community. We are generally open with what a machine is, and do not try to pass it off as anything else. IMO, this can be forgiven somewhat due to your inexperience, but you must understand why this is frowned upon now that its (hopefully) been explained to you.

Edit- I will give you credit though. Most people who come across something like this, post 1 or two horrible pictures and say the game is in nice shape and then ask way too much. At least you posted some decent pictures and didn't try to claim it was in great shape.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

I think the vitriol you are experiencing mainly stems from the non disclosure of the conditions in which it came from, which is expected. That is somewhat of a major fuex pas in our community. We are generally open with what a machine is, and do not try to pass it off as anything else. IMO, this can be forgiven somewhat due to your inexperience, but you must understand why this is frowned upon now that its (hopefully) been explained to you.

Edit- I will give you credit though. Most people who come across something like this, post 1 or two horrible pictures and say the game is in nice shape and then ask way too much. At least you posted some decent pictures and didn't try to claim it was in great shape.

Nailed it. Dazaa, everybody hits some road bumps when they jump into this hobby. If you are legitimately interested in learning more about pinball and getting helpful tips to move your machine, the door is open for you. Myself and most other new people ended up overpaying for our first machine so don't sweat it too badly. If you can make any dollar amount over what you paid consider that a win!

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from Dazaa:

It says “Archived” not “Sold” while it could’ve sold for around $3500, it’s doubtful.

OP, no one other than me has attacked you, and all I said was you sounded more like a politician than a lawyer, which was a low blow. We’re trying to provide the facts to you. If you really paid around 1000 GBP for this machine, you made a bad deal. We’ve all done it. Anyone that says they’ve never made a bad deal or never lost money is fooling themselves. While it’s true that the current trend is project pins command better prices than refurbs-as most hobbyists enjoy the rebuilding process-this machine is NOT worth over 1000 pounds in its current state. Adjust your starting price by about 2500 pounds, and you’ll probably get some realistic offers of what it’s truly worth as it sits.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from ryanbrooks:

It says “Archived” not “Sold” while it could’ve sold for around $3500, it’s doubtful.
OP, no one other than me has attacked you, and all I said was you sounded more like a politician than a lawyer, which was a low blow. We’re trying to provide the facts to you. If you really paid around 1000 GBP for this machine, you made a bad deal. We’ve all done it. Anyone that says they’ve never made a bad deal or never lost money is fooling themselves. While it’s true that the current trend is project pins command better prices than refurbs-as most hobbyists enjoy the rebuilding process-this machine is NOT worth over 1000 pounds in its current state. Adjust your starting price by about 2500 pounds, and you’ll probably get some realistic offers of what it’s truly worth as it sits.

To be fair it does say it was sold for an undisclosed amount at the bottom and the seller made a donation to Pinside.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Just snip the battery off.

Not possible to snip the battery out on this game as the solder pins are under the battery.

IMHO you should leave the battery and let the buyer worry about it. You'll probably do more damage to the PCB if you are inexperienced in PCB rework.

#47 4 years ago

you are receiving negative hype because of the outlandish price you started with. This is a huge project game, and if you got it from a scrap yard, there is no way you paid more than a 100 or two to save this. yes it was a great find. Yes you are going to make some money on this find. But to start out at a price that would reflect a nice working example that had a backglass, is going to piss a lot of people off.

#48 4 years ago

Now that you've officially been beaten into the gang... what's your thoughts on playfield dimpling?

#49 4 years ago

Will reduce the price but id like to make it clear that i will not be offended by any offers, just offer what its worth to you.

I think the play field is covered in mylar so theres no visible dimples that i can see

#50 4 years ago

I wish this was within driving distance of ny, I would love to buy it and restore, it’s extremely unlikely anyone in this thread will have an opportunity to buy this title. Very rare game for sure.

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has expired, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-rocky-3?hl=jake35 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.