(Topic ID: 160069)

For sale: Ready...Aim...Fire! (Gottlieb, 1983)

By Off-Kilter

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by woz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

#1 6 years ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

for sale

For sale: Ready...Aim...Fire! (Gottlieb, 1983)

Added: 2016-05-16 Ended: December 1st, 2016
Condition: Used - shows wear, needs some work

Price

$ 575

Item description

Just got this on a multiple machine deal. They only made 390 of these, so they must be rare. It has a nice cabinet and playfield, it plays good and is pretty fast with a lot of pop bumpers. Has a carnival/circus sound in the background. Will sell for $575 or best offer or may trade for other solid state pinball machines. Please call or text me at ###-###-#### , thanks

Item photos

image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

Photos not showing? Make sure your ad blocker plugin is not hiding them.

Contact

Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!

Listing result

The seller marked this ad as "not sold". The item did not sell through Pinside so there's no listing result.

Item location

New Albany, IN, US

Seller insights

These are Off-Kilter's all time market stats.

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

100.0%

Go to Off-Kilter's stats page

#2 6 years ago

This game is more fun than it looks! Nice shape and great price,glws
Mike

#3 6 years ago

Wow! Had to look this one up as never even heard of it. Seems like a great price to me, but doesn't look overly fun to play. The rarity is what intrigues me.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from paragon66x:

The rarity is what intrigues me.

Quoted from paragon66x:

but doesn't look overly fun to play

...which is originally why the production run was cut short, I imagine, after they saw how it did on location.

I wouldn't mind owning one for a short time at some point, though.

#5 6 years ago

Played this at PAPA and maxed out the playfield on my first ball, and I'm not that good. Even for a "retro" table it's very simple. But the theme is fun and it's very rare for sure. GLWTS

#6 6 years ago

I can only imagine how depressing it must have been to run into one of these in the arcade back when it was new.

"Yup, pinball is dying."

Super rare game though I'd think a gottlieb collector out there would want it.

#7 6 years ago

Man, I've been wanting to cut some teeth on early SS Gottleib and you're close with an attractive price to experiment with, even if the gameplay looks uninspiring, but man... my daughters are girly-animal-rescue types so shooting innocent animals is NOT something they'd be happy about, and the game is too rare to mess with theme wise.

But this explains so much... 1983 truly was a dark time wasn't it.

Still, I'm sure it will hook someone, should be a nice find for a collector. GLWS!

#8 6 years ago

I have owned 3 of them in the past 7 or 8 years and know of 3 or 4 more here in Central PA. Every time I see one for sale I find it hard to believe they only made 390 of them because they seem to keep popping up for sale. Tough machine to sell even though it is "fairly rare" and I think the reason they only made 390 of them is it just isn't a very good or popular machine.

The crazy thing is typically they are in pretty nice shape because they must not have gotten much play in the arcades back to the day. Odd theme & backglass, so-so gameplay, and really not much going for it compared to other games from that era are all reasons low production makes sense and low demand also makes sense.

Steve Young still has NOS playfields for them cheap and I doubt he will run out of them any time soon.

In any event someone will want it because some people like rare & unusual stuff. Best of luck with your sale!

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

my daughters are girly-animal-rescue types so shooting innocent animals is NOT something they'd be happy about GLWS!

Actually machine is suppose to be a target shooting game from a fair or carnival. So art is stuffed animals NOT real animals. I think that is part of the issue with this machine - it seems like something for a hunting camp if you look at the backglass but it is actually more of a kids game with carnival theme.

#10 6 years ago

I must be a big kid because I enjoy the heck out of mine. Sometimes you just want alittle more of an easy pin to play and enjoy with the kids.
Mike

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

suppose to be a target shooting game from a fair or carnival. So art is stuffed animals NOT real animals.

Yeah I kind of guessed that from looking at the pf art, but still... doesn't matter if it's game in the jungle or toys on a platform, if my kids (or their friends) see "guns pointed at animals" they're not gonna enjoy it.

The art package on this pin is so strange! It looks more 1963, not 1983. I want to like it for that but have to wonder, just what was Gottlieb thinking?

#12 6 years ago

Cool for a free play pin at the shows. Let's the world play it.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

I want to like it for that but have to wonder, just what was Gottlieb thinking?

They were thinking "This factory will probably only be open for another year or two, let's use all the parts we have (standups and pop caps apparently) and get a game out as quickly and cheaply as possible and try to make a few bucks or at least pay for inventory."

That was probably the thought process.

I know Williams and Bally were experiencing the same hardships at the time, but even their econo-line games in 1982-1984 seem to have still had some pride invested in them.

Ready AIm Fire almost looks like a Wico or a home game in design and art.

#14 6 years ago

I'm all about owning everything atleast once and would totally grab it if local.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They were thinking "This factory will probably only be open for another year or two, let's use all the parts we have (standups and pop caps apparently) and get a game out as quickly and cheaply as possible and try to make a few bucks or at least pay for inventory."
That was probably the thought process.
I know Williams and Bally were experiencing the same hardships at the time, but even their econo-line games in 1982-1984 seem to have still had some pride invested in them.
Ready AIm Fire almost looks like a Wico or a home game in design and art.

The second half of 1983 wasn't a high point in pinball. I just checked IPDB and was surprised to find that Gottlieb/Mylstar manufactured as many games as both Bally and Williams combined.

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?yr=1983&sortby=mfg&searchtype=advanced

As well as trying to use all the parts up they also didn't design any new playfields layouts, deciding instead to rehash 70's EM games. Ready Aim Fire and Rack 'Em Up were the only new designs for Gottlieb/Mylstar in that period.

1983-05 Super Orbit SS = Orbit EM
1983-06 Royal Flush Deluxe SS = Royal Flush EM
1983-09 Amazon Hunt = Fast Draw EM
1983-11 Rack 'Em Up! a Mylstar Original!
1983-11 Ready...Aim...Fire! another a Mylstar Original!
1984-05 Jacks to Open SS= Jacks Open EM

I'd love play Ready...Aim...Fire! one day just because it is so different from the usual Gottlieb games. GLWS!

#16 6 years ago

Calling Mr. Steve Charland. Blownfuse, what you know about this guy?

It's very tempting considering how much I'm enjoying all the gottlieb sys80 I've played.

GLWS

#17 6 years ago

One year, PAPA put in the ceramic "Powerball" in their copy of RAF.
Made it a far more passable game.

Should somebody acquire this, try it.
You will be pleased.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer22:

I'm all about owning everything atleast once and would totally grab it if local.

Well said.

#19 6 years ago

I'm a Gottlieb collector, but I can't get into this playfield at all. I need drop targets or a spinner, and this isn't a widebody Gottlieb, so I'm out.
Interesting title though.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

I'm a Gottlieb collector, but I can't get into this playfield at all. I need drop targets or a spinner, and this isn't a widebody Gottlieb, so I'm out.
Interesting title though.

There's literally nothing to shoot at. I guess you are just supposed to shoot the ball into the pop bumpers. I'm guessing there were like 3 full-time staffers at Gottlieb by this point.

#21 6 years ago

Great Hank tutorial on RAF!

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

One year, PAPA put in the ceramic "Powerball" in their copy of RAF.
Made it a far more passable game.
Should somebody acquire this, try it.
You will be pleased.

Looks like they have a video of it:

~~~~~~~~~~

Oh man. I'm so torn on this because I love morbid curiosities, and am that special breed of idiot who's thought it would be fun to own a Pacer, Yugo, and Granada at the same time. But wow, if that video is the best it can do... the gong-bell tone is maybe the best feature of the game. What a truly odd duck with no hope of being a swan.

And yet! Part of me thinks if it were cheaper, I'd learn what I can about System80A (looks like display segments are out) in prep for a better find, then set it up at Louisville Expo with a sign promoting it as the perfect "easy play pin" for kids. That would be fun. But I do have limited resources and know if I'd bite on this for gits and shiggles and outreach, something better would turn up...

#23 6 years ago

One of the YouTube comments made me chuckle:

I think this wins the vote for "most ironically named game in history"

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!