Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by bobWeir
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

rat race dogs 019.JPG
rat race dogs 018.JPG
rat race dogs 017.JPG
rat race dogs 016.JPG
rat race dogs 014.JPG
rat race dogs 013.JPG
rat race dogs 015.JPG

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

#1 5 years ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

Price

Make offer

for sale

Rat Race (Williams, 1983)

Added: March 23rd, 2015 Ended: March 23rd, 2016
Condition: Functional - needs minor work

Item description

Rat Race For sale. It is a project for someone that has more electronic skills than I do. It is firing up but just go down the road 100%. It could be as easy as the the 40 pin connector...who knows. I have too many projects going on right now and would like to find someone that could bring it back to it's glory days. The legs are missing,so you would have to make some. Everything else is there and original. This came from a worker that worked for a op in the 80's and he got it from the op's living room. So technically I'm the 3rd owner. Make me a offer or I might be interested in trades. Looking for METLE, Scared Stiff, BK2K, and who knows what else.

Item photos

rat race dogs 015.JPG
rat race dogs 013.JPG
rat race dogs 014.JPG
rat race dogs 016.JPG
rat race dogs 017.JPG
rat race dogs 018.JPG
rat race dogs 019.JPG

Photos not showing? Make sure your ad blocker plugin is not hiding them.

Contact

Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!

Listing result

The seller marked this ad as "not sold". The item did not sell through Pinside so there's no listing result.

Item location

Oregon, WI, US

Seller insights

These are bobWeir's all time market stats.

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

100.0%

Go to bobWeir's stats page

#2 5 years ago

Nice one. Interesting game, would make a nice addition to a Museum or a private collection of rare gems.

#3 5 years ago

I'd love to see some better pictures of those driver board modifications!

#4 5 years ago

super rare! have not seen one in a long time!!! GLWS

#5 5 years ago

I'm sure my $100 offer won't hold, so GLWS, I love perplexus so this thing looks awesome to me.

#6 5 years ago

It would be cool to own, but looking at the wiring mods gets me a little nervous for my skill level, but I'm sure there are enough people here with the skill set to take care of it. GLWS.

#7 5 years ago

Text me how much you want for it. I an very interested and feel confident in bringing this rare one back to life!

#8 5 years ago

I really would love to know the story behind that driver board.

While it looks like the hack of all hacks, the details of what was done is making me think maybe it was a VERY early designer piece. No RAM on the CPU board, with extensive jumpering. Solenoid PIA was removed, and a series of logic chips added in, with a massive spaghetti pile of jumpers. Something very different was done with the switch matrix, again a spaghetti pile of jumpers. Extra fused line tapped into the reset circuit. Did they expand the switch matrix? How did it change the solenoid circuits?

It rings of either something very special, or the work of a madman (potentially both).

If somebody does pick this up, and it does turn out to be a developmental board, I'd love to help make a proper fully realized board set for this. Either way, I'd love to get two close up shots. One of the CPU board, another of the driver board. Nice BIG files, so I can zoom in close.

-Hans

#9 5 years ago

Thats neat... never seen that one before. GLWS.

#10 5 years ago

Awesome looking game. Wonder what the story is behind it? Why was it not produced? That thing would probably be a huge hit with non pinheads.

#11 5 years ago

They only made 10 of these. It's quite valuable.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Text me how much you want for it. I an very interested and feel confident in bringing this rare one back to life!

Good, you buy it so I'm not in any way tempted too. I need *anything* else like a hole in the head. It's cool - but I don't need to take up more room that I don't have with a neat electronic labyrinth... but I DO want it around the area to play sometime!

#13 5 years ago

Bump

#14 5 years ago

I'd love to know how the mechanics of this game work. I see a couple of photos under the playfield at IPDB but not too much info. How many were made?

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from MarcG:

They only made 10 of these. It's quite valuable.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

I'd love to know how the mechanics of this game work.

Ever see the kids game where you had a knob on each side and you tilt the playfield back and forth and up and down to guide a ball past holes, etc. ?

Just like that.

Bump for the Rat !

LTG : )™

#17 5 years ago

I played one on location back in the day in Hadley, MA. It was right next to a Joust pinball machine.

Didn't know how lucky I was playing rare games back in the day. Thought everyone had access to these same games... evidently it was a 'test arcade' so I got to play some really rare games.

Who knew..? ;-( )

#18 5 years ago

Would be interested gimme a call mike 330 5183141

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

If somebody does pick this up, and it does turn out to be a developmental board, I'd love to help make a proper fully realized board set for this. Either way, I'd love to get two close up shots. One of the CPU board, another of the driver board. Nice BIG files, so I can zoom in close.

If I bought this (I am not), the first thing I'd do would be to send that rat's nest to someone like yourself or Borygard, to document it so it can be fixed when something inevitably breaks.

Mike, buy this!

#20 5 years ago

I've had some big offers so far, for 100.00 or 250.00 she is staying right here. I excuse all the people that have not heard of this machine. I know it is rare, I'd like it to go to someone that is going to let other people enjoy it. I'm not looking for the moon on this machine, but I'm not going to sell until I get a fair price. It has been sitting in my climate controlled garage for 4 years and I'd like to see it get played and showed to the public once in a while. I will even donate part of the sale to pinside.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

If I bought this (I am not), the first thing I'd do would be to send that rat's nest to someone like yourself or Borygard, to document it so it can be fixed when something inevitably breaks.
Mike, buy this!

As a project, this would be right up my alley. Electronic Archaeology is what I'd call a project like this.

-Hans

#22 5 years ago

I am guessing the best bet with a game this rare is to find someone to work on and get it 100% functioning and then sell it?

After finding out how rare this is, I can not offer a reasonable price.

In working condition I am guessing one of the high end rare collectors would be all over it for a respectable price.
Granted I am guessing that it will not see much public play after that unless you find the right collector.

Maybe reach out to bangerjay and see if you can work something out. He loves rare oddities and is a great guy also capable of getting the game fixed and sharing it with others. just thinking out loud

#23 5 years ago

I would think you could get 4 or 5 grand for that from the right collector. Maybe a lot more. One of 10 Williams proto, pretty damn cool. Varkon has been getting upwards of 10k and there are 90 of those.

#24 5 years ago

I have a Rat Race, and it's my second one (2 different games).
All Rat Race games have hacked boards like this, they are factory hacked because the game has around 40 switches to it, much more than what system 7 boards can take, so Williams added a small board to compensate and hacked everything out.
If the problem is on the factory hacked boards, a broken wire for example, no one can know where it was connected, thus making it impossible to repair.
it's a very risky project for someone who does'nt have another Rat Race to verify.
I could get it back working again.
PM sent.

#25 5 years ago

System 7 boards recognize 64 switches, 8 rows x 8 columns. Just like every other WMS board set, Sys -WPC-95

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

System 7 boards recognize 64 switches, 8 rows x 8 columns. Just like every other WMS board set, Sys -WPC-95

Really?
I was told by a technician that the boards were hacked because of this........
Maybe it's because of the optos then, there are around 30 optos (30 receivers and 30 transmitters) on this game.
Can system 7 boards manage optos as well?

#27 5 years ago

I don't know that I've ever seen a sys7 game with optos.

#28 5 years ago

Hyperball had them.

Maybe that add-on board is to drive the opto transmitters? Hyperball needed a unique driver board design, this game probably was in the process of developing something similar, just never got past the development stage.

What is the game number for it? Looks like a late rev system 7 board. So probably played some part in the initial design work for system 9 too, looking at the mods on the couch board.

#30 5 years ago

Oh!
I forgot that there are no transmitters on this game, 44 bulbs well aligned with the opto receivers act as transmitters, if a bulb goes out, that particular opto will not work.
So, opto receivers only.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from ALJO:

Oh!
I forgot that there are no transmitters on this game, 44 bulbs well aligned with the opto receivers act as transmitters, if a bulb goes out, that opto will not work.
So, opto receivers only.

Chicago Coin did this way back in the EM era. The spinning disk on Juke Box is this way too.

#32 5 years ago

To who ever gets the game!
Let me know and I'll do the best I can to help you get the game back running again.
There are no Schematics or manual for Rat Race that were ever made but I have a switch matrix and solenoid chart for Rat Race that were made by a fellow pinhead and given to me by him, and I found a few "game adjustements" for the game myself as well.
I can get the 2 different game ROM's sets for the game, even though only one set will works for the game.
With pictures, we can go a long way as well, so let me know and I'll be glad to help get the game back working again......

Claude.

#33 5 years ago

Just wanted to update since I've been busy with other life events. The lowest I'd go is 4500.00.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside