(Topic ID: 120605)

For sale: Players Condition F-14 Tomcat (Williams, 1987)

By Lame33

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Lame33
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9e66f656d1e419ddae51d3a0343fe666bfdb7a60.jpg
356015.jpg
356014.jpg
IMG_0803-552.JPG
IMG_0795-728.JPG
IMG_0792-80.JPG
IMG_0794-857.JPG
8-436.JPG
IMG_0790-689.JPG
7-581.JPG
6-232.JPG
IMG_0800-463.JPG
4-478.JPG
5-593.JPG
3-250.JPG
2-85.JPG

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

#1 9 years ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

Game - for sale

Players Condition F-14 Tomcat (Williams, 1987)

Added: 2015-03-07 22:39:57 UTC • Ended: March 19th, 2015
Condition: Used - shows wear but 100% working and clean

Price

$ 1,000

This is a players condition, early run F-14 Tomcat. I will attempt to describe it’s condition in detail to avoid any surprises to potential purchasers.

I don’t know the history of this pin beyond my picking it up from a Pinsider from Minnesota in the parking lot of the Chrome Dennys in the Wisconsin Dells back in September. As you can see from these pictures http://tinyurl.com/nasj6am, it needed a bit of work, but I was looking for a project pin and found one.

If I had to guess, it seems it has spent most of it’s existence heavily routed and left in temperature uncontrolled environments, but did have competent tech service performed at some point and now and plays without issue.

Repairs and condition:

Cabinet: Most of the cabinet was sanded down to bare wood and repainted. It was my first stencil job and I would say it passes the five foot test. Meaning it looks decent from 5 feet away, but if you look too close, you can see where the stencils were not perfectly aligned or the paint pooled a bit too much around the edges. It is not collector quality and HEP has nothing to fear from me. I then used a water based poly that raised the grain a bit more that I would have liked, but as previously stated, it looks okay and much better than it did before I started. The translight looks good, but the plastic rail that goes on the bottom of the glass is cracked. Both locks were replaced. The support Latch on the back of the backbox is broken.

Playfield: Many of the inserts were raised. They are now much flatter. The playfield was stripped, cleaned, and waxed. The mylar was removed before I purchased the pin. A playfield protector has been installed. The game now plays smooth and fast. It has a few worn spots, a big horizontal scratch, spiderweb like cracks in the paint, discoloration around where it was not protected by the original mylar and paint around the inserts is inconsistent. Other than that, it looks pretty good from a distance. The playfield protector is like a removable poor man’s clearcoat. It looks shiny, smooth, and protected, but you can still see the blemishes underneath. The five foot test applies here too. I think it looks pretty good until you look too close. With the playfield protector it should not get any worse.
All the rubber, balls, and flipper bats were replaced. It is currently sporting Super Bands.

Lights: All the controlled lamps were replaced with a cointaker LED kit. F14 is really an amazing light show. The GI was replaced with Comets and a few others I had about. The pop bumper has a new LED cap on it. The flashers and backbox bulbs are incandescent and all functioning. The lights on the topper work, but the rotating reflector dish under the middle beacon is missing.

Plastics: New, clear plastic protectors were installed to prevent further damage to the plastics. Most of the plastics are in decent shape for a pin of this age. However, the lower right sling is cracked and the middle aircraft carrier plastic is missing a chunk.

Legs: New leg levelers were installed and the legs cleaned and polished. They are scratched and still a bit dirty in the nooks and crannies on the back. The cabinet is pretty dented around the legs, but felt protectors were put on to help with further damage.

Display: The display is bright and functional. I have seen an intermittent error where the top LCD line of the bottom two displays will disappear. It will work fine for a week and I will think that I’ve fixed it. Then be gone the next two times I turn the game on. It’s not really that noticeable.

Boards: They all seem to be original and everything is functioning without issue. That said, at some point before my ownership, the CPU board had a significant issue. It has a big burn mark and a hole in it. It was repaired before I got it and I’ve put dozens of games on it and have had absolutely no issues with it.

Mechanicals: Never checked the coin mechs. I tinkered and replaced some parts on the flippers. All the switches play nice with no errors.

Sound: Seems to work fine. It does have a bit more of a hum than I would expect if no other sound it being played. Adding the LEDs seemed to limit it, but not remove it.

Original manual included.
Overview:
Good:
The game works and plays rock solid. It’s fun and fast.
Many new parts and lots of hours have returned it from the mostly dead.

Bad:
I should not be allowed near an airbrush or paint brush.
Weird intermittent display line issue.
Playfield and cabinet are not going to win any beauty contests.

Ugly:
The CPU board was obviously professionally service and works fine, but has a burn mark and a hole in it.

Price: $1,000. Cash only.

Trade: I would be open to a trade. Another system 11 era equivalent or later. Fantasy or Sci Fi themes are preferred, but not required. I would be willing to kick in money for a nicer pin. Let me know what you’ve got.

Item photos

1-371.JPG
IMG_0808-361.JPG
IMG_0814-402.JPG
IMG_0820-693.JPG
IMG_0809-349.JPG
IMG_0812-520.JPG
z-69.png
2-85.JPG
3-250.JPG
5-593.JPG
4-478.JPG
IMG_0800-463.JPG
6-232.JPG
7-581.JPG
IMG_0790-689.JPG
8-436.JPG
IMG_0794-857.JPG
IMG_0792-80.JPG
IMG_0795-728.JPG
IMG_0803-552.JPG

Photos not showing? Make sure your ad blocker plugin is not hiding them.

Contact

Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!

Seller insights

These are Lame33's market stats.

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

100.0%

Go to Lame33's stats page

Listing result

The seller ended this ad and indicated the game eventually sold for $ 900

Seller contributed to Pinside for this listing!

Item location

Racine, WI, US

Related shop items!

Interested in this game? Also check out these related Pinside Shops items!

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 31.93
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 344.95
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 184.00
Lighting - Interactive
ArcadeMade

#2 9 years ago

The all PMs replied to and pin still available bump.

#3 9 years ago

More PMs replied to, but did not sell it over the weekend bump.

#4 9 years ago

Love your description and just spit out my beer when I ready about the 5' and that you shouldn't be allowed near an airbrush. So funny! Made me laugh BUMP! GLWTS

#5 9 years ago

Thanks. Paint is always more attracted to me than to whatever I'm supposedly painting. I thought it was a good idea to go with stencils and and airbrush for the same price as decals. Now, I'm not so sure as the airbrush just lurks in the corner of the workroom and silently mocks me. My self deprecation and honesty are really not conductive to being a great salesman.

The pin looks and plays a million times better than it did when rescued it from what must have been a lumberjack with a cheese grater and it will likely end up stuffed between games so close that you can't even see the sides. I could have just painted it black and called it the F-14 Stealth Limited Edition.

#6 9 years ago

Lol, one of the best for sale ads I've seen here.

Nice avatar too, Londo!

#7 9 years ago

Thanks. It's a shame that it hasn't translated into more interest in what I think is a decent players condition pin.

Steve Ritchie speed with one of the best light shows in pinball. I think I've patched up the worst effects of it's routing neglect and it's been nothing but solid for the months I've had it.

Ugly, but not hideous
beforebefore

afterafter

#8 9 years ago

Uhh what is wrong with that? Looks good to me!

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from thall17:

Uhh what is wrong with that? Looks good to me!

That's coz the pic is 5 feet away

#10 9 years ago

EDIT: Too slow in my own post.

It's the five foot vs. one foot thing I mentioned in my way too long to bother reading description of the pin.

From a distance it looks okay, but I wanted potential buyers to know that if you get close, my paint job has issues. As you can see from this close-up, lines are not perfectly straight and the stencils did not exactly align like they should.

9e66f656d1e419ddae51d3a0343fe666bfdb7a60.jpg9e66f656d1e419ddae51d3a0343fe666bfdb7a60.jpg

#11 9 years ago

It's the hoping to avoid Craigslist bump...

Now with low quality, experimental video!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By2s_YNwNVGAOV9qMWo3Ynl4X2c/view?usp=sharing

If this was like NCIS-CSI 24, you could enhance my video reflection in the translight and instantly cross reference it with all the databases and use a live satellite view to geolocate my position so I wouldn't have to give you my address before you came to buy this pin and do it all before the second commercial break.

#12 9 years ago

Freeze! There in that corner, top right, zoom in.....keep going....keep going......STOP! Enhance. Yes, see that hair strand? Now zoom in more.......Enhance! Now compare that DNA to the database. God, I love these high resolution cameras.

30 seconds go by....

The DNA results are in, our killer is an orange tabby, and pregnant. Looks like this cat....(pulls off sunglasses) is out of the bag....

#13 9 years ago

Leprechaun Bump

Make me an offer...

#14 9 years ago

I think thats a darn good looking f14 for that price. I've paid a lot more for them

#15 9 years ago

SALE PENDING... (and sold)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-players-condition-f-14-tomcat-williams-1987 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.