PA090126 (resized).JPG
PA090125 (resized).JPG
PA090124 (resized).JPG
PA090123 (resized).JPG
PA090122 (resized).JPG
PA090120 (resized).JPG
PA090119 (resized).JPG
PA090118 (resized).JPG

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

#1 4 years ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

Game - for sale

For sale: Old Chicago

Added: 2019-12-19 18:26:09 UTC • Ended: January 17th, 2020
Condition: Fully restored (full original status)

Price

$ 4,200 (Firm)

Price is firm

Up for sale - a fully restored Old Chicago. Five drops, five pops and a TON O' FUN! Check out the spinner rip from the left to the upper saucer and pops - oh yeah! Knock down those drops for big points and extra ball potential. And don't forget to shoot that center saucer for a mid-ball bonus collect! Lower pop chaos and strategic outlane nudging make this one of Bally's most special layouts ever. Check out gameplay action of this lovingly restored machine on youtube:

I put countless hours into this.

* Near total repaint of the playfield, finished with two part automotive clearcoat for deep color saturation and a glassy, durable, lightening fast surface
* Cabinet stripped to wood and restenciled
* Reconditioned legs
* Repainted/clearcoated playfield apron
* Playfield rails painted and clearcoated to match playfield and apron
* Super nice original backglass
* Rebuilt flippers
* Rebuilt drop target mechanics
* Rebuilt pop bumpers
* Rebuilt chime unit
* All new plastics
* New playfield posts and rubbers
* Metal cleaned and polished
* Every switch stack cleaned and adjusted for awesome, snappy performance

Game scores extra points in the double bonus setting for balls 3 & 5. I'm more of an artist than a mechanic, so I never ironed this one thing out. I decided I was fine playing it with a little extra bonus on those two balls. Shipping is fine at buyers expense. Buyer to make all shipping arrangements. Cash on the glass or escrow.com only please. Additional photos available upon request. Thank you!

Item photos

PA090110 (resized).JPG
PA090111 (resized).JPG
PA090112 (resized).JPG
PA090113 (resized).JPG
PA090114 (resized).JPG
PA090115 (resized).JPG
PA090116 (resized).JPG
PA090117 (resized).JPG
PA090118 (resized).JPG
PA090119 (resized).JPG
PA090120 (resized).JPG
PA090122 (resized).JPG
PA090123 (resized).JPG
PA090124 (resized).JPG
PA090125 (resized).JPG
PA090126 (resized).JPG
PA090134 (resized).JPG
PA090127 (resized).JPG
PA090128 (resized).JPG
PA090129 (resized).JPG
PA090130 (resized).JPG
PA090131 (resized).JPG
PA090132 (resized).JPG
PA090133 (resized).JPG

Photos not showing? Make sure your ad blocker plugin is not hiding them.

Contact

Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!

Seller insights

These are pinheadpierre's market stats.

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

100.0%

Go to pinheadpierre's stats page

Listing result

The seller marked this ad as "not sold". The item did not sell through Pinside so there's no listing result.

Item location

Davis, CA, US

Related shop items!

Interested in this game? Also check out these related Pinside Shops items!

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

#2 4 years ago

For $4200.00, it better play 100%.
It better have new drop targets, not original yellow ones.
The spinner better be refurbished and not worn on the bottom.
And it better cost half that.

#4 4 years ago

LOL, some of those "new rubbers" look awfully old. Title of the ad should read "What's the most someone would ever pay for an average Old Chicago restoration?" Oh, and you forgot the OBO. No one is ever paying 3K for this.

#5 4 years ago

For 4200 it better be nib!

#7 4 years ago

Very nice indeed
Worth the money for great game

#8 4 years ago

At this price it should come with a free Grand Prix, Aladdin’s Castle and a desireable wedgehead, all in equally nice condition.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

LOL, some of those "new rubbers" look awfully old. Title of the ad should read "What's the most someone would ever pay for an average Old Chicago restoration?" Oh, and you forgot the OBO. No one is ever paying 3K for this.

I agree the asking price is crazy. But if you think this is an average restoration for a game of this age, I would recommend looking at more FS threads. This pin looks very nice. Cracking rubbers and all.

Thanks
Blake

#10 4 years ago

Yet again the price police who never buy anything contribute nothing except for more negtivity on Pinside. The math is simple, a nice cabinet restoration can easily run $1000, A nice playfield restoration with clearcoat can cost $1500. Flipper rebuilds with coils and all the small parts needed to do a playfield restoration can easily cost $500 and that doesn't count the labor to put it all together. Assuming it's a quality job $4200 for a high level restoration is a bargain.

#11 4 years ago

Just certain titles are not commanding the sky high prices.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

Yet again the price police who never buy anything contribute nothing except for more negtivity on Pinside. The math is simple, a nice cabinet restoration can easily run $1000, A nice playfield restoration with clearcoat can cost $1500. Flipper rebuilds with coils and all the small parts needed to do a playfield restoration can easily cost $500 and that doesn't count the labor to put it all together. Assuming it's a quality job $4200 for a high level restoration is a bargain.

Where did you get this notion that calling out someone's mediocre restoration for crazy money equates to "that guy never buys anything"? A forum is a public discussion. If people don't want other's opinions, don't start a "topic". I have bought and sold quite a few games on Pinside. I know what it costs to restore a game. I know how many hours it takes.

Contrary to what people may think, no one single Pinside opinion is EVER going to sway anyone from doing anything on this site. If it did, people wouldn't be falling over each other, sending money to the obvious scammers. I have SEEN FIRST HAND someone wire money to a known scammer because they didn't want to miss out on a "good deal". I am not bringing that up to confuse this item, I am bringing it up to make my point that no one individual opinion on this site is going to sway a sale one way or another.

Quoted from Blake:

But if you think this is an average restoration for a game of this age, I would recommend looking at more FS threads. This pin looks very nice. Cracking rubbers and all.
Thanks
Blake

You are insinuating that I'm a noob and I do not appreciate it. The quality of this "restoration" is below what no less than 3 of my very good friends here in my own very city could accomplish. What would you expect if you buy a 4200 machine? Would you want it to work properly? Would you want cracked rubbers and the wrong cabinet colors? You are the one confusion this with a high level restoration. High level restorations do not have these issues.

If I feel an ad misrepresents something, I am going to state my opinion. You are not going to change this. It is allowed and in most cases welcomed on this site.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Where did you get this notion that calling out someone's mediocre restoration for crazy money equates to "that guy never buys anything"? A forum is a public discussion. If people don't want other's opinions, don't start a "topic". I have bought and sold quite a few games on Pinside. I know what it costs to restore a game. I know how many hours it takes.
Contrary to what people may think, no one single Pinside opinion is EVER going to sway anyone from doing anything on this site. If it did, people wouldn't be falling over each other, sending money to the obvious scammers. I have SEEN FIRST HAND someone wire money to a known scammer because they didn't want to miss out on a "good deal". I am not bringing that up to confuse this item, I am bringing it up to make my point that no one's individual opinion on this site is going to sway a sale one way or another.

You are insinuating that I'm a noob and I do not appreciate it. This quality of this "restoration" is below what no less than 3 of my very good friends here in my own very city could accomplish. What would you expect if you buy a 4200 machine? Would you want it to work properly? Would you want cracked rubbers and the wrong cabinet colors? You are the one confusion this with a high level restoration. High level restorations do not have these issues.
If I feel an ad misrepresents something, I am going to state my opinion. You are not going to change this. It is allowed and in most cases welcomed on this site.

I'm saying this is not a piece of shit restoration or average "Old Chicago" that you think it is. I won't go into it any further for respect of the OP and his FS post.

Thanks
Blake

#14 4 years ago

The op stated he did all this work himself - this wasn't a $1000 cabinet restoration, he sanded/stenciled it, about $200 in materials ($150 stencil kit, little Bondo, sandpaper, primer and paint.) It wasn't a professional $1500 pf restore. A flipper rebuild kit (doubt he replaced the coils, who does) is $50, and the parts to rebuild the pops, chimes, drops, his new posts, rubbers, and everything else would be hard pressed to come to $500. Yes, he put a lot of time into it, and it looks good, but not $4200.00 good. Come on.

From a guy who never buys anything, unless you count my 25 machines in my gameroom and the countless others that have passed through my hands.

#15 4 years ago

My point is it would be nice to see a for sale thread without someone bashing the seller. If you don't agree with the sellers price then move on. If you are genuinely interested in purchasing the game then you are free to try and negotiate a better price with the seller.

#16 4 years ago

Well i usually "never buy anything" on Pinside because it's often horribly over priced.
I do like this come back though.

. If you are genuinely interested in purchasing the game then you are free to try and negotiate a better price with the seller.

His price is stated as firm, so there is no negotiating.

#17 4 years ago

The math is simple,

Yes, the math is simple. You can spend a million dollars restoring a $50 item and it still isn’t worth a million dollars.

The number of interested buyers for an Old Chicago at the OP’s price is zero. Joke ads make the market less useful for everyone. Doesn’t matter that the OP doesn’t know it’s a joke.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

Worth the money for great game

Yeah, but what about an Old Chicago?

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Yeah, but what about an Old Chicago?

I did a restoration for my old Chicago without the clearcoat and price came around 3500
So his does not look too bad for 4200

For people not into EM it’s s lot of course
New LCD game $12,000 perhaps then

#20 4 years ago

#21 4 years ago

Wow, just took a closer look at the pics and wow! Clearcoat is gorgeous! Everything was obviously removed from both the head and the cabinet and they were both repainted inside and all the fragile paper tags were meticulouly replaced. Oh boo hoo, there is one white rubber that cracked so the price police trash a gorgeous restoration. Shame on all of you. Congrats on a beautiful restoration pinheadpierre! I suggest you post on facebook marketplace, hopefully someone there will appreciate all the hard work you did. You're reaching out to the wrong audience here.

#22 4 years ago

Thanks to those of you with constructive comments. Honestly, I didn't even really look at the rubbers before taking pictures. All who commented on the rubbers are totally right. They are cracked. They are also practically new - installed and not played much. Add one more example of cheap Chinese garbage being peddled by a big supplier that I no longer do business with. I'll swap out the rubbers again (with rubber from a different supplier). Thanks for the help.

Spinner. Yup - the repaint chipped off at the bottom. I figure if the spinner chip bugs someone who is a serious buyer, I'll redo it. Epoxy paint or 2PAC on the spinner next time.

Drops - yes, those are original as I point out in my video. Why? See Chinese rubbers, above. My feeling is that the original targets work much better than new ones. In some cases, the old ones stand out too much colorwise and I replace them, risking performance in favor of aesthetics. In this case, I felt the original targets actually looked more appropriate than new ones. Again, if a buyer wants new ones, that's fine.

This is all small, cheap stuff.

Price - yup, I didn't tick the OBO box yet. I fully expect any buyer to negotiate because I've never experienced a pin sale any other way. It's part of the process. That said, I've stopped doing that the first time around. Weeds out cheapskates who want to waste my time trying to buy a game with a restored playfield and cabinet for 1k more than a typical example that's been roughed up for 40 years and has 80,000+ plays on it. I've sold restored ems that were not nearly as fun or nice as this one in the 2.5-3k range in a few days. That means they were too cheap. Thanks for the input, especially the Facebook comment and feedback from experienced restorers. I didn't know Facebook was a real thing as a pin marketplace. I closed my FB account years ago, preferring to actually talk with people. Sounds like I'll have to make a new account just for this kind of stuff.

#23 4 years ago

Looks great man, another great job. Much nicer than my Old Chicago Top 5 EM if you ask me. It’ll sell when you find the right buyer. GLWS

#24 4 years ago

> Game scores extra points in the double bonus setting for balls 3 & 5. I'm more of an artist than a mechanic, so I never ironed this one thing out <

That’s normal for Old Chicago.

You can move the jumper to choose:

1/ double bonus on balls 1,3,5

2/ double bonus on balls 3,5

I have mine set up for 3,5.

Unless you mean it actually scores more than it should ... that’s probably a sticking bonus unit. Easy enough fix. Just requires patience.

PS I bought @pinheadpierres restored Pinbot a couple of years ago, We drove to Sacramento, picked it up, drove it back to LA, and shipped it back to New Zealand.

Upright dude, and I’m happy with my purchase.

rd

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

&gt; Game scores extra points in the double bonus setting for balls 3 &amp; 5. I'm more of an artist than a mechanic, so I never ironed this one thing out &lt;
That’s normal for Old Chicago.
You can move the jumper to choose:
1/ double bonus on balls 1,3,5
2/ double bonus on balls 3,5
I have mine set up for 3,5.
Unless you mean it actually scores more than it should ... that’s probably a sticking bonus unit. Easy enough fix. Just requires patience.
PS I bought @pinheadpierres restored Pinbot a couple of years ago, We drove to Sacramento, picked it up, drove it back to LA, and shipped it back to New Zealand.
Upright dude, and I’m happy with my purchase.
rd

Respect

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-old-chicago-16?hl=phat_jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.