Topic Stats

• 95 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by skywalker
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 113 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpeg
sale.png
cry-indian.gif
IMG_1427.JPG
IMG_1368.JPG
IMG_1387.JPG
IMG_1213.JPG
IMG_1277.JPG
IMG_1216.JPG
IMG_1210.JPG
IMG_1196.JPG
IMG_1178.JPG
IMG_1195.JPG
IMG_1073.JPG
IMG_1191.JPG
IMG_1179.JPG

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 years ago

And by hiring a proxy I mean one of us just go over there.

#52 4 years ago

I can agree with what Begles said - their prices are aimed at the USA market.

Quality can be anything and you should go there and inspect it yourself, there may be good ones and also bad games between it. Locals can get a deal when they're able to inspect the game and select the best available.

I also received emails from them in the past, but asking to buy games (with their offering prices included)
They just contact a lot of operators in Europe and buy any game for their price.. so don't expect the best quality games, it'll mostly be games that operators want to get rid off and can't get a better price locally. But that is what container deals were always about, not ?

#53 4 years ago

The fact that this guy needs to market on pinside should tell you all you need to do. You are flat out crazy to even be thinking about this at these prices.

To put it Bluntly, Moderator PMwolf is well known for importing a few containers already and he is not jumping on this so that tells you all you need to know.

#54 4 years ago

guess i could volunteer to be sent to Italy for detailed inspection & pictures.
the group pooled travel budget includes Wine per diem too, right?

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from aeneas:

I can agree with what Begles said

Thanks, Antwerpen

#56 4 years ago

Heck yeah. A healthy wine allowance!

#57 4 years ago

2k for a rbion you cannot see before hand, but is straight off route? Also its going to sit in a container and rust for a few weeks? Passssssssssss

Baywatch with a bad display? Passsssssssss

Sorry but op you are not doing yourself any favors with what you are posting.

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

guess i could volunteer to be sent to Italy for detailed inspection & pictures.
the group pooled travel budget includes Wine per diem too, right?

Your excellent coverage of TPF would certainly qualify you... I think wine is in the travel budget, but otherwise things are tight - you'll have to row your own boat to get there!

-Rob
-Visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or Williams System 3-7 sound board solutions

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

The fact that this guy needs to market on pinside should tell you all you need to do. You are flat out crazy to even be thinking about this at these prices.
To put it Bluntly, Moderator PMwolf is well known for importing a few containers already and he is not jumping on this so that tells you all you need to know.

There was a listing on ebay too.

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from rkahr:

Your excellent coverage of TPF would certainly qualify you... I think wine is in the travel budget, but otherwise things are tight - you'll have to row your own boat to get there!
-Rob
-Visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or Williams System 3-7 sound board solutions

i could use the exercise

#61 4 years ago

"If you want you can also visit us in our warehouse to check the
pinball machines personally and organize the load of the container! "

i think a visit would be a must.

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

"If you want you can also visit us in our warehouse to check the
pinball machines personally and organize the load of the container! "
i think a visit would be a must.

Just for the heck of it, I checked to see what the trip would cost.

A round-trip ticket from the nearest international airport in the northeast would be around $1700-$2600 depending on the dates and number of layovers.

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Just for the heck of it, I checked to see what the trip would cost.
A round-trip ticket from the nearest international airport in the northeast would be around $1700-$2600 depending on the dates and number of layovers.

+ a week at a villa in the rolling Italian hills of the wine country

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

2k for a rbion you cannot see before hand, but is straight off route? Also its going to sit in a container and rust for a few weeks? Passssssssssss
Baywatch with a bad display? Passsssssssss
Sorry but op you are not doing yourself any favors with what you are posting.

These aren't my games. I'm trying to inform potential buyers of what they may be getting into. Caveat emptor.

#65 4 years ago

If you are going to drop $60-$70k on a container, you need to make a trip and hand pick the games then you have no surprises.

#66 4 years ago

I'm a newbie. I apologize if some of the more experienced people here have seen these before. I hadn't. I just wanted to share my experience with "container games". I bought several from pmWolf. While I know that what I purchased may not have come from this seller it's the same ball-park. Know what you're getting yourself into (caveat emptor). If you don't think you have the skills or resources to call for help then I would steer away from buying these. Don't bite off more than you can chew. I made a (written) log and took some photos. I have yet to actually transcribe that into a post to share with others. I am trying to get these ready for the Northwest Pinball and Arcade show in early June. I am uncertain how much interest there is in this. Anyways ... here's a sample of the photos and some peanut gallery commentary. I hope it iterates the message being put forth by some of the more experienced members.

Just remember though that if what you're looking at underneath all the dirt (or mylar removal) is a good playfield (with little wear) then these games should clean up nicely. Otherwise you'll have to look for a playfield repair or replacement.

IMG_1067 - Whitewater chase lamp boards. Multiple missing sockets and twist sockets used as PCB mount sockets.

IMG_1068 - Whitewater power driver board. GI connectors burned with "Lego" connectors. You can see fast (normal) blow fuses in the fuse holders in the background.

IMG_1072 - Whitewater power driver board. J101 connector.

IMG_1073 - Whitewater "Lite" and "Lock" targets. Screw and washer reinforcement.

IMG_1077 - Whitewater playfield. "I guess I don't have the correct sized rubber. That screw in the playfield seems to stop the ball just fine".

IMG_1078 - Whitewater power driver board. "Who needs a fuse? I'll just connect the two ends of the fuse barrel with a wire and snap the fuse into the socket".

IMG_1079 - Whitewater power driver board. The pins were gone so the wires got soldered to the solder pads.

IMG_1084 - Whitewater chase lamp boards. Closer view after removal.

IMG_1108 - Whitewater ramp. This is NOT a cherry DA3 (or DB3) micro-switch. This was some non-standard switch. Note the rubber being used as a washer.

IMG_1114 - Whitewater mini-playfield lane guide. Not sure why this needed reinforcement. Now there's a permanent hole in the lane guide. Note the non-standard screw.

IMG_1136 - Whitewater jet bumper. Twist socket being used as a jet bumper lamp socket. Soldered with wire to the connector of the original socket that was cut.

IMG_1156 - Fish Tales power driver board. "That IDC connection seems to have come out. Let me solder the wire into the plastic connector".

IMG_1157 - Fish Tales power driver board. Mmmm. Toasty. This connector actually sparked when powered on. Not surprising.

IMG_1163 - Fish Tales CPU board. J210. An additional wire between J114 and J210 was soldered into the IDC.

IMG_1165 - Fish Tales power driver board. J114. This is the other side of IMG_1163.

IMG_1178 - Fish Tales power driver board. These wires were connected to the test points on the power driver board. I thought it was powering some device but a friend came over and saw the device it was connected to. It was a video game power supply. For some reason the video game power supply was connected to the test points. No clue. Disconnecting seemed to cause no harm.

IMG_1179 - Fish Tales power driver board. Note the normal (fast) blow fuse in F108. It's F10. That's right. 10A. "That damn pesky GI fuse keeps blowing. I'll just put a higher rated fuse and that will stop it from blowing".

IMG_1191 - Funhouse CPU board. I don't think I need to say anything about this. Of course, the game actually does power up. While the display is not correct the test functions work.

IMG_1195 - Funhouse power driver board. What is it with the "Lego" connectors?

IMG_1196 - Funhouse power driver board. It's the correctly rated bridge rectifier but not with the correct connectors. This actually works (obviously). It's quite creative.

IMG_1210 - Whitewater under playfield. Rear VUK. It's a creative use of a jet bumper metal yolk.

IMG_1213 - Whitewater under playfield. A perfectly fine Molex 0.062" connector is available but that wire is probably better being stripped and electrically taped over. Speaker wire does get the job done but I never expected to see it in a pinball machine used like this.

IMG_1216 - Whitewater under playfield. Metal fatigue in the rear VUK. Note the VUK cup is also worn. I was unable to get the AE-23-800 coil bracket out and therefore unable to get the AE-23-800 coil out. I bought a new bracket and replaced the coil. Thanks to Kerry @ Mantis Amusements for making these!

IMG_1277 - No Good Gofers slingshot. I found plenty of components in this game greased. This is just a sample. You know ... grease makes everything move better. Even parts that are supposed to be run dry. The grease gets everywhere and traps dirt like a there's no tomorrow. It takes plenty of elbow grease to get rid of the grease. If anyone is interested I can also show you the ultimate detailing tool. Helped me to get rid of the grease. Warning ... requires elbow grease.

IMG_1368 - No Good Gofers playfield. This is the jet bumper area before some elbow grease.

IMG_1387 - No Good Gofers playfield. This is the jet bumper area after some elbow grease.

IMG_1427 - No Good Gofers playfield. After lots of elbow grease. It was probably never cleaned in its 17 years of service.

IMG_1067.JPG IMG_1068.JPG IMG_1072.JPG IMG_1073.JPG IMG_1077.JPG IMG_1078.JPG IMG_1079.JPG IMG_1084.JPG IMG_1108.JPG IMG_1114.JPG IMG_1136.JPG IMG_1156.JPG IMG_1157.JPG IMG_1163.JPG IMG_1165.JPG IMG_1178.JPG IMG_1179.JPG IMG_1191.JPG IMG_1195.JPG IMG_1196.JPG IMG_1210.JPG IMG_1213.JPG IMG_1216.JPG IMG_1277.JPG IMG_1368.JPG IMG_1387.JPG IMG_1427.JPG
#67 4 years ago

I hope u got that wh20 cheap wow hack city and lots of damaged stuff

#68 4 years ago

hack city - that's exactly what I was thinking. Wow.

#69 4 years ago

You'll have to admit they are creative.

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

I'm a newbie. I apologize if some of the more experienced people here have seen these before. I hadn't. I just wanted to share my experience with "container games". I bought several from pmWolf. While I know that what I purchased may not have come from this seller it's the same ball-park. Know what you're getting yourself into (caveat emptor). If you don't think you have the skills or resources to call for help then I would steer away from buying these. Don't bite off more than you can chew. I made a (written) log and took some photos. I have yet to actually transcribe that into a post to share with others. I am trying to get these ready for the Northwest Pinball and Arcade show in early June. I am uncertain how much interest there is in this. Anyways ... here's a sample of the photos and some peanut gallery commentary. I hope it iterates the message being put forth by some of the more experienced members.
Just remember though that if what you're looking at underneath all the dirt (or mylar removal) is a good playfield (with little wear) then these games should clean up nicely. Otherwise you'll have to look for a playfield repair or replacement.
IMG_1067 - Whitewater chase lamp boards. Multiple missing sockets and twist sockets used as PCB mount sockets.
IMG_1068 - Whitewater power driver board. GI connectors burned with "Lego" connectors. You can see fast (normal) blow fuses in the fuse holders in the background.
IMG_1072 - Whitewater power driver board. J101 connector.
IMG_1073 - Whitewater "Lite" and "Lock" targets. Screw and washer reinforcement.
IMG_1077 - Whitewater playfield. "I guess I don't have the correct sized rubber. That screw in the playfield seems to stop the ball just fine".
IMG_1078 - Whitewater power driver board. "Who needs a fuse? I'll just connect the two ends of the fuse barrel with a wire and snap the fuse into the socket".
IMG_1079 - Whitewater power driver board. The pins were gone so the wires got soldered to the solder pads.
IMG_1084 - Whitewater chase lamp boards. Closer view after removal.
IMG_1108 - Whitewater ramp. This is NOT a cherry DA3 (or DB3) micro-switch. This was some non-standard switch. Note the rubber being used as a washer.
IMG_1114 - Whitewater mini-playfield lane guide. Not sure why this needed reinforcement. Now there's a permanent hole in the lane guide. Note the non-standard screw.
IMG_1136 - Whitewater jet bumper. Twist socket being used as a jet bumper lamp socket. Soldered with wire to the connector of the original socket that was cut.
IMG_1156 - Fish Tales power driver board. "That IDC connection seems to have come out. Let me solder the wire into the plastic connector".
IMG_1157 - Fish Tales power driver board. Mmmm. Toasty. This connector actually sparked when powered on. Not surprising.
IMG_1163 - Fish Tales CPU board. J210. An additional wire between J114 and J210 was soldered into the IDC.
IMG_1165 - Fish Tales power driver board. J114. This is the other side of IMG_1163.
IMG_1178 - Fish Tales power driver board. These wires were connected to the test points on the power driver board. I thought it was powering some device but a friend came over and saw the device it was connected to. It was a video game power supply. For some reason the video game power supply was connected to the test points. No clue. Disconnecting seemed to cause no harm.
IMG_1179 - Fish Tales power driver board. Note the normal (fast) blow fuse in F108. It's F10. That's right. 10A. "That damn pesky GI fuse keeps blowing. I'll just put a higher rated fuse and that will stop it from blowing".
IMG_1191 - Funhouse CPU board. I don't think I need to say anything about this. Of course, the game actually does power up. While the display is not correct the test functions work.
IMG_1195 - Funhouse power driver board. What is it with the "Lego" connectors?
IMG_1196 - Funhouse power driver board. It's the correctly rated bridge rectifier but not with the correct connectors. This actually works (obviously). It's quite creative.
IMG_1210 - Whitewater under playfield. Rear VUK. It's a creative use of a jet bumper metal yolk.
IMG_1213 - Whitewater under playfield. A perfectly fine Molex 0.062" connector is available but that wire is probably better being stripped and electrically taped over. Speaker wire does get the job done but I never expected to see it in a pinball machine used like this.
IMG_1216 - Whitewater under playfield. Metal fatigue in the rear VUK. Note the VUK cup is also worn. I was unable to get the AE-23-800 coil bracket out and therefore unable to get the AE-23-800 coil out. I bought a new bracket and replaced the coil. Thanks to Kerry @ Mantis Amusements for making these!
IMG_1277 - No Good Gofers slingshot. I found plenty of components in this game greased. This is just a sample. You know ... grease makes everything move better. Even parts that are supposed to be run dry. The grease gets everywhere and traps dirt like a there's no tomorrow. It takes plenty of elbow grease to get rid of the grease. If anyone is interested I can also show you the ultimate detailing tool. Helped me to get rid of the grease. Warning ... requires elbow grease.
IMG_1368 - No Good Gofers playfield. This is the jet bumper area before some elbow grease.
IMG_1387 - No Good Gofers playfield. This is the jet bumper area after some elbow grease.
IMG_1427 - No Good Gofers playfield. After lots of elbow grease. It was probably never cleaned in its 17 years of service.

IMG_1067.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_1068.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_1072.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_1073.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_1077.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_1078.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_1079.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_1084.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_1108.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_1114.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_1136.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_1156.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_1157.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_1163.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_1165.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_1178.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_1179.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_1191.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_1195.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_1196.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_1210.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_1213.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_1216.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_1277.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_1368.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_1387.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_1427.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

WOW! I hope you did not pay anywhere near the prices he is normally asking! What a shit show and even worse if you paid the typical outrageous markup of most of those container crap games are advertised at.

#71 4 years ago

wow... those pix were an emotional roller coaster

didn't know if i should cry or laugh...

cry-indian.gif

#72 4 years ago

actually the best part of FT is the shooter lane.

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

LOL

#74 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I hope u got that wh20 cheap wow hack city and lots of damaged stuff

doubtful. the prices are usually outrageous...

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

doubtful. the prices are usually outrageous...

Good to know bc I was thinking of get a container with 30 pins I no longer am bc of this thread lol just not worth it

#76 4 years ago

A routed game should ALWAYS be looked at in person if you dont know the seller..

Let alone these re import TERDS...

you can expect a mild to harsh Cornholing when they arrive..

And you should know that going into this

#77 4 years ago

I do believe this is the seller whom pmwolf gets his container games. In case there was any questions on that.

#78 4 years ago

On DA's log post of the games he got (and yes these are from the OP), i don't see these things personally as a big deal. Yes you will have to straighten out all sorts of details that DA nicely documented. But I've been doing container games since the mid 1990s, and this is just typical stuff. And also i get games from domestic operators with pretty much all the same issues.

My point is this... these games were routed, and often on location, where there's a lack of parts or time to do things right. That goes for domestic and imported routed games. So yea what DA posted is very typical, and this type of stuff is to be expected. Re-imported games often are worse, because parts are just harder/expensive to get. (But i've seen all this stuff on domestic games too.)

Just keep in mind you're not buying from a collector. You're buying a routed game, so yea, there will be stuff like this. If it's outside of your repair skill level, i would say this isn't the deal for you. If you like doing stuff like this, restoring games back to original, then you will be challenged!

That said I think DA got "decent' re-import games too. If the worse sin is a few drywall screws and messed up GI connectors and battery corrosion, he got off *really* easy!

What I'm really starting to see is worse things, as these games approach 20 years old. Stuff like worn playfields (particularly around the flippers) is getting bad. Those, at least to me, are bigger issues, and harder to repair. For example, the wear shown on that Cactus Canyon in front of the flippers. Not a huge deal to fix if you know what you're doing, but for most people, this is the greatest challenge. And there's no CC playfields around, if you were thinking of doing a PF swap. i do like the right side homemade decal, but that's easy to fix, just buy a new decal. So to me that issue is fixable. But the playfield, that will be more challenging...

On the point of prices, unfortunately, the OP's prices aren't as low as it needs to be. After factoring in shipping and brokers and exchanges, there's just not a lot of margin. This is why the guys getting these games aren't selling them at mid range prices (they want top dollar.)

Back in the day when we used to get containers, we would be paying $300 to $800 for Addams, STNG, IJ, Tz, funhouse, etc. Add $100 per game shipping, and it was well worth it. In fact I would buy a container, have all the games in my driveway (!), and price them at $100 above what i paid (plus the $100) shipping. Longest it ever took me to sell them all was 11 days. And all i had to do was convert them to 120 volt and show that they booted, and all my friends bought them. Man those were the days... But things have changed. Prices are up, and if there's so much as a credit dot people freak out. And at a half container (36 games), and $100 profit per games, that's $3600 you're ahead. Which means you would get a bunch of "free" games of your choosing. That's how I built my collection. But container games in the 1990s and early 2000s were different, much higher quality. The stuff from Belgium and Germany was the best.

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

The stuff from Belgium and Germany was the best.

some nice ones from japan too...

#80 4 years ago

Well said CFH.

2 weeks later
#81 4 years ago

I have seen the container garbage coming out of Michigan. They are getting them barely working and then selling them for close to top dollar or at least trying. Stay away.

#82 4 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

ahhh...
thought on pinside we were supposed to list a price on "for sale" ads

this is a forum post not a market ad

#83 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

I disagree. This forum post seems like a market ad to me since the first words in the title and first post are "For Sale".

#84 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

.. What??
sale.png

#85 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

.. What??
sale.png

i just realized there's the market tab and the market forum. my bad.

#86 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

i just realized there's the market tab and the market forum. my bad.

That's how *I* found the post, originally, 'cuz I did a search on a game I was looking for.

#87 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

.. What??
sale.png

while we're on that topic does a new post automatically appear in the market forum when you put an add in the market?

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

while we're on that topic does a new post automatically appear in the market forum when you put an add in the market?

I do not believe it's automatic - I think that when you post an ad, there's a checkbox somewhere on the page that essentially asks if you 'want to create a linked post in the forum' or some such. (And, I don't remember if it's defaulted on or not..)

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

There is a checkbox as mentioned above and then it's automatic. It is also now the ONLY way to start a new thread in the "for sale" forum as well.

#90 4 years ago
Quoted from thelastjay:

There is a checkbox as mentioned above and then it's automatic. It is also now the ONLY way to start a new thread in the "for sale" forum as well.

wasn't like that when you bought that sm jay! How's it working?

#91 4 years ago

Our last group container buy in Quebec-Ontario was through this source, I believe. I think we had the benefit of having someone in Quebec organize the buy who was familiar with dealing with the Italian source multiple times in the past. My TAF that showed up was a beauty...played perfectly with no errors right off the ship. Prices seem to have inflated since then...and quality diminished. Would love to grab a container project but our stanky Canadian dollar prevents it.

An older price list from (what appears to be) the same seller is documented in my container article I wrote last year:

http://creditdotpinball.com/2014/07/18/feature-only-give-a-defect-on-display-any-stupidity/

Rob
Creditdotpinball.com

4 months later
#92 4 years ago

Great Read! Makes me want to buy a plane ticket to Italy...Who's coming with me?, split a 20 footer!

#93 4 years ago

The Italian Choggard.

#94 4 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

Our last group container buy in Quebec-Ontario was through this source, I believe. I think we had the benefit of having someone in Quebec organize the buy who was familiar with dealing with the Italian source multiple times in the past. My TAF that showed up was a beauty...played perfectly with no errors right off the ship. Prices seem to have inflated since then...and quality diminished. Would love to grab a container project but our stanky Canadian dollar prevents it.
An older price list from (what appears to be) the same seller is documented in my container article I wrote last year:
http://creditdotpinball.com/2014/07/18/feature-only-give-a-defect-on-display-any-stupidity/
Rob
Creditdotpinball.com

I was in on one of Gerry's last containers when I got my RFM and Road Show for $3K. RFM needed monitor repair but was otherwise ready to go, but Road Show on the other hand still isn't completely where I'd like it to be. That said, I learned a tremendous amount debugging the hacks in Road Show (and there were many), and while frustrating it opened me into the project side of pinball that I enjoy almost as much as playing. I'd be interested in another container if our dollar wasn't in the sh!tter.

2 months later
#95 4 years ago

Repairing those hacks looks like great fun, don't mind fixing them you learn heaps, But some are just wrong

There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside