IMG_5854 (resized).JPG
IMG_5853 (resized).JPG
IMG_5852 (resized).JPG
IMG_5851 (resized).JPG
IMG_5845 (resized).JPG
IMG_5850 (resized).JPG
IMG_5846 (resized).JPG
IMG_5848 (resized).JPG

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

#1 6 years ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

Game - for sale

For sale: Minstrel Man

Added: 2018-01-01 23:00:00 UTC • Re-listed: 1 time (February 13th, 2018) • Ended: March 27th, 2018
Condition: Used - shows wear but 100% working and clean

Price

$ 1,500

Lowered the price...let's get this thing into the hands of someone who will appreciate it!

Up for sale is a Gottlieb Minstrel Man. The game is working, has new rubber, new bulbs, new ball shooter gauge, new leg levelers, new pinballs, and new playfield glass. This is a game that doesn't come up for sale very often so if you're looking for this hard to find game, you've found it.

I did a very light cleaning of the playfield as I didn't want to get too aggressive with the cleaning as I don't have experience with games of this age.

The playfield is in pretty good shape, with some wear around the pop bumpers. There is an older repair in the shooter lane that wasn't done very well. Not sure what they were trying to fix but I decided to leave it alone.

The backglass is in pretty good condition as well. There is a bit of paint loss on the bottom of the glass, in both corners. Other than that, it looks pretty good.

The cabinet is solid with its original paint, although it is a bit scuffed up.

I have the keys to both locks and I have the schematics and a few extra instruction/score cards. I also have the wood lock down bar, it was just removed for the pictures. Game is complete.

Let me know if you need additional pictures or information.

Item photos

IMG_5848 (resized).JPG
IMG_5846 (resized).JPG
IMG_5850 (resized).JPG
IMG_5845 (resized).JPG
IMG_5851 (resized).JPG
IMG_5852 (resized).JPG
IMG_5853 (resized).JPG
IMG_5854 (resized).JPG
IMG_5855 (resized).JPG
IMG_5856 (resized).JPG
IMG_5857 (resized).JPG

Photos not showing? Make sure your ad blocker plugin is not hiding them.

Contact

Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!

Seller insights

These are egyptrus's market stats.

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

100.0%

Go to egyptrus's stats page

Listing result

The seller marked this ad as "not sold". The item did not sell through Pinside so there's no listing result.

Item location

Muskego, WI, US

#2 6 years ago

Nice original!

Playfield very nice.

#3 6 years ago

Will someone explain what those drop targets do? Do they fall when you hit them, move, or fall and pop back up?

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Will someone explain what those drop targets do? Do they fall when you hit them, move, or fall and pop back up?

They shuck and jive.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from bkbirge:

They shuck and jive.

I'd love to know more about how Gottlieb came to choose this theme, but I think everybody involved is long gone.

Minstrel shows were already long dead by the time this came out - by about 50 years. So I guess it was a nostalgia piece, to be enjoyed by kids who were born 30-40 years after the last minstrel shows and would have no idea what they were? The civil rights movement was a few years away as well, so I guess it was some small window of nostalgia and ignorance? I can't imagine them putting this out even 5 years later.

A curio to be sure.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Hit the stand up target, then the guy drops into the playfield. The standup target remains in place. First Gottlieb, or first pin with a drop target.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

See this and you can see

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Hit the stand up target, then the guy drops into the playfield. The standup target remains in place. First Gottlieb, or first pin with a drop target.

Hmmm..well it's a drop target behind a standup target. Pretty neat regardless.

#9 6 years ago

It was a neat way to do drop targets...odd in that you don't actually hit the target that's dropping into the playfield, but it was a drop target none-the-less.

As far as theme goes, I agree, it seems like an odd theme for the 50s as the "minstrel" shows were pretty much a thing of the past (apparently, some form of the shows lasted until the 50s to 60s but was definitely on the decline). While it had a place in its day, and was eventually replaced by vaudville, it seems like doing a game like this in the 50s was a few years after its prime.

At the end of the day, the game is actually fun to play, regardless of its theme.

#10 6 years ago

Holy crap, that is .. yikes. The timing of manufacture is particularly bizarre. (Or, well, I guess not)... Interesting example of a time gone loooooong by

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Interesting example of a time gone loooooong by

Exactly...to say that this game would not be made today is an understatement. Of course, the past is littered with arcade games that once upon a time seemed "ok" but would never be made today. As such, these games have historical interest/significance as they give a bit of insight into what was going on at the time the game was made.

As I said, while the theme isn't particularly great, the game play isn't too bad.

I know there's a buyer out there for this game. While the wood rail market seems to have cooled a bit, this still seems like a desirable game for those that collect wood rails.

Dave

#12 6 years ago

4 years ago there was one for sale in Calgary Alberta. It was in a lot rougher condition. They do not come up for sale very often.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

They do not come up for sale very often.

That seems to be the case, at least that's what I keep hearing. It would seem that the group of buyers for such a game is a bit smaller than it is for pinball in general. It just means that it's going to take me a bit longer to find a buyer. Someone out there wants to add Minstrel Man to their wood rail collection!

#14 6 years ago

Minstrel Man bump...someone must want this game in their collection, right?

3 weeks later
#15 6 years ago

I've lowered the price to $1800. I've also put it up on ebay as an auction starting at $1500. Here's the link to that sale if anyone is interested: ebay.com link: itm

Dave

#16 6 years ago

Bump for an honest seller, and I nice guy to boot. GLWS Dave........

#17 6 years ago

My buddy has been looking for one of these for a loooong time. I've only seen one at the Allentown show about 2 years ago and it was pretty rough for more $$$. Really tough/rare bird.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Bump for an honest seller, and I nice guy to boot. GLWS Dave

Right back at you brother! Thanks for the bump and for the compliment. Really appreciate it.

Quoted from hAbO:

My buddy has been looking for one of these for a loooong time.

Well then, you should tell him about this one! I have to admit I was a bit surprised that nobody bid on this. Well, I did have it ending during the Super Bowl, not the best of timing that's for sure. I'm aware that the woodrail market has taken a bit of a hit lately but I didn't really think it would be this tough to get this game sold.

Like all games, the right buyer will come along eventually and this will be sold. I just have to be patient.

I relisted it on Ebay if anyone's interested in it.

Dave

1 week later
#19 6 years ago

Bumping this for a new lower price...someone come buy this thing.

3 weeks later
#20 6 years ago

Been a while bump - Been busy with life and haven't had a chance to bump this up.

Dave

#21 6 years ago

Unfortunately the world has become too Politically Correct, hence the long duration of your sale.

Maybe this game is a bit too controversial for today's average buyer to enjoy with friends and family...?

Good luck anyway!

#22 6 years ago

No room in my basement or I would grab it.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Unfortunately the world has become too Politically Correct

While I'm sure that might be part of it, I'm actually thinking that it might be that the average age of someone that would have remembered playing this game is likely looking to downsize their house and life, rather than adding another toy.

I'll grant that the theme isn't politically correct by today's standards but it does represent a snap shot in time and if nothing else could spark a discussion around the game, its features (one of the first to use a drop target), and time in which it was made.

Quoted from hAbO:

No room in my basement or I would grab it.

Well then, we need to make room

Dave

#24 6 years ago

This was always one of the heavy hitter titles. There has to be a wood rail collector that hasn't scratched this one of his list yet.

http://www.pinpedia.com/machine/548/prices

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

There has to be a wood rail collector that hasn't scratched this one of his list yet.

The problem, as always, is finding that buyer...In this case, it's just going to take a bit more patience as it's likely going to be a bit before I find the right guy.

At this point, I'm thinking this might be a game to take to the Midwest Gaming Classic. While I'm not sure my buyer will be there, the extra exposure certainly won't hurt.

Dave

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from egyptrus:

At this point, I'm thinking this might be a game to take to the Midwest Gaming Classic. While I'm not sure my buyer will be there, the extra exposure certainly won't hurt.
Dave

That would be my thought Dave. Likely move it at MGC. Either way, hope you sell it...

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-minstrel-man-2?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.