IMG_3245 (resized).jpg
IMG_3244 (resized).jpg
IMG_3240 (resized).jpg
IMG_3238 (resized).jpg
IMG_3239 (resized).jpg
mermaid (resized).png
Julia (resized).jpg
F52FB1DD-AE2C-4544-B079-FDF12B8B402A (resized).jpeg

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has expired, so this topic closed automatically.

There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 1 year ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

36 downvotes on his ad at this point. Can I ask, WHY???

I didn’t downvote and I’m sure this will sell for a pretty penny. But for me there’s a lot wrong here. The price is inflated for a game with a limited market. See the restored example in this thread worth $25k. It is presented as the holy grail of pinball but is better described as a holy grail of wood rails. The pictures are poorly presented with the glass on. The ad is a series of run on sentences with little care to describe the history and condition of the game. It’s a 70 year old game; it belongs in a museum or the hands of a great restorer.

#152 1 year ago
Quoted from vidguy:

it belongs in a museum or the hands of a great restorer.

Or someone could just enjoy it the way it is.
Not every game has to be perfect to be fun.
I would rather see a game a bit worn and played, than perfect and collecting dust.

#153 1 year ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Or someone could just enjoy it the way it is.
Not every game has to be perfect to be fun.
I would rather see a game a bit worn and played, than perfect and collecting dust.

I agree for a machine that’s going to get played. Players condition is fine. But nobody is going to buy this to put it on route or in a basement with a bunch of Sterns. It’s going to a collector for its rarity and as a collectors piece.

#154 1 year ago
Quoted from vidguy:

I didn’t downvote and I’m sure this will sell for a pretty penny. But for me there’s a lot wrong here. The price is inflated for a game with a limited market. See the restored example in this thread worth $25k. It is presented as the holy grail of pinball but is better described as a holy grail of wood rails. The pictures are poorly presented with the glass on. The ad is a series of run on sentences with little care to describe the history and condition of the game. It’s a 70 year old game; it belongs in a museum or the hands of a great restorer.

Yes, admittedly he's starting on the high side of the game's value.
I don't blame him for that. It could be that there's a collector out there who has been waiting for a "Mermaid" to come up for sale. No one with any savvy ever pays asking price, so the seller has built in a buffer to get as much profit as he can (I know what he paid for it). He'd more than likely come down from his asking price, and hopefully both the buyer and the seller will be happy. It's a rare and pricey game, and hopefully it will end up getting the restoration it deserves.

#155 1 year ago
Quoted from vidguy:

I agree for a machine that’s going to get played. Players condition is fine. But nobody is going to buy this to put it on route or in a basement with a bunch of Sterns. It’s going to a collector for its rarity and as a collectors piece.

Many of us collectors are also in the old car hobby. Similarly, you find a desired title, fix it up to whatever level is comfortable, and then plan to enjoy it. Every game in my basement is up and running and I want them to be played. If they can survive 70 years in a bar with smokers kicking and banging on them in their original habitat, there is no fear of my six-year-old granddaughter breaking it.

Julia (resized).jpgJulia (resized).jpg
#156 1 year ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

Many of us collectors are also in the old car hobby. Similarly, you find a desired title, fix it up to whatever level is comfortable, and then plan to enjoy it. Every game in my basement is up and running and I want them to be played. If they can survive 70 years in a bar with smokers kicking and banging on them in their original habitat, there is no fear of my six-year-old granddaughter breaking it.
[quoted image]

You win the thread with that picture. Grand daughter is perfect and the tippy toes is great.

#157 1 year ago

I thought this thread was sunk, but now some hope is bubbling up. Hope all you fo’c’sle be calm, see?

#158 1 year ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

There is no fear of my six-year-old granddaughter breaking it.

I don't know about that. Looks like she has a pretty mean "death save" move.

#159 1 year ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

[quoted image]

nice looking nags next to mermaid. That game is way more fun than mermaid.

#160 1 year ago

GLWTS. As this is a price that is consistent with prices for the game 5+ years ago.
Yes it is a holy grail to some and shame it got caught up with horse shit postings.

#161 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

nice looking nags next to mermaid. That game is way more fun than mermaid.

that is an understatement

#162 1 year ago

I'm late to this thread, but when I saw that thread title and all the activity I thought Oh shit. d0n is trying to sell one of his Fathom Mermaid's for $25K like he's been talking.

#163 1 year ago

Im all in for $250.00!
I'd love to have this as my next project/restoration pin that no one would be interested in playing once it was finished and in my game room!

#164 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Im all in for $250.00!
I'd love to have this as my next project/restoration pin that no one would be interested in playing once it was finished and in my game room!

Tell ya what. You do that, and when you're bored with it, I'll buy it back from you for $250.

#165 1 year ago

Not sure this is worse than 60k for BM SLE

#166 1 year ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Tell ya what. You do that, and when you're bored with it, I'll buy it back from you for $250.

DEAL!

#167 1 year ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

Not sure this is worse than 60k for BM SLE

at least no personal notes as to why you need this game !

just show him the money !

#168 1 year ago

So, work on the guy!

#169 1 year ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

GLWTS. As this is a price that is consistent with prices for the game 5+ years ago.
Yes it is a holy grail to some and shame it got caught up with horse shit postings.

As an FYI...I am aware of non-working heavily worn example that was at the Las Vegas Morphy auction a few years ago that went for $15K (including the juice and fees).
An Ebay auction from 10 years ago: https://www.greatestcollectibles.com/rebuilt-mermaid-pinball-machine/#.Ynu-ji-B30o
There's a member on Pinball Owners who has a project Mermaid for sale for $18K USD. It will include a new glass and playfield, but undoubtedly some serious work and further expense ahead to take on the resto.
mermaid (resized).pngmermaid (resized).png

#170 1 year ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

She perfected her chill maneuver/dead bounce on the "Queena Farts" (her words) when she was 3.

As an FYI...I am aware of non-working heavily worn example that was at the Las Vegas Morphy auction a few years ago that went for $15K (including the juice and fees).
An Ebay auction from 10 years ago: https://www.greatestcollectibles.com/rebuilt-mermaid-pinball-machine/#.Ynu-ji-B30o
There's a member on Pinball Owners who has a project Mermaid for sale for $18K USD. It will include a new glass and playfield, but undoubtedly some serious work and further expense ahead to take on the resto.[quoted image][quoted image]

Wow. She's already six. I remember you telling me that you just became a grandpa. Tempus Fugit.

#171 1 year ago

Jokes aside, it really is a shame most pinball collectors are unaware how good the 50's Gottliebs were.

I never played them anywhere until I bought one.

When dialled in, they are very addictive and hard to win on.

As for 'code', multiple ways to win was genius for this period of history.

They are works of art, built like tanks.

I love games like Godzilla, Maiden etc just as much as anyone else.

But switch a woodrail on and its a reminder of how different the world must have been in the 50's.

I like seeing pinball collections that reflect history, as there are brilliant games in the 60's, 60's, 70's, 80's etc.

Bit boring if every game is modern, despite how good some of them are.

#172 1 year ago

the only solution is to have me, an impartial but local observer, come play the game and provide my judgement on whether the game is worth $25k.

(if he slips me $5k I'll say its worth 30)

#173 1 year ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

There's a member on Pinball Owners who has a project Mermaid for sale for $18K USD. It will include a new glass and playfield, but undoubtedly some serious work and further expense ahead to take on the resto.
[quoted image]

that game is 100x's better shape than the one for sale.

#174 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that game is 100x's better shape than the one for sale.

Maybe so. But this one is pretty darn nice except for the playfield. There are some really good playfield restoration guys out there. Even if the playfield costs you $2K to restore, you'd have a terrific example of this really desireable game. I don't realisticallly think he's going to get his asking price, and he does say he's open to offers. When a game is priced this high, the haggling margin can be thousands of dollars off the asking price. Get the playfield done, and you'd likely have one of the best examples of this game anywhere. I prefer originality, and the cabinet on this game looks to be a very nice original (although there's no images of the right side). I know the backglass is a repro, but it's a very well done copy.

#175 1 year ago

I love these “Seller Posts Once, Pinside Posts 1000 pages” threads

#176 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I love these “Seller Posts Once, Pinside Posts 1000 pages” threads

I wonder if he's following this thread. I can't imagine he'd be pleased with most of the postings.

#177 1 year ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

[quoted image]

This one has a bogus '70s style rollover star in the middle of the playfield. Easily reversed to original, but...

#178 1 year ago

This thread has spunk, and I’ve genuinely grown to appreciate jrpinball , he takes NO ONES shit.

Respect.

#179 1 year ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

This thread has spunk, and I’ve genuinely grown to appreciate jrpinball , he takes NO ONES shit.
Respect.

Awww!

#180 1 year ago

don't get misty eyed! someone will chime in and bash you soon enough....lol

Quoted from jandrea95:

Respect.

#181 1 year ago

I'm glad we got to the Bikini-Bottom of this.

#182 1 year ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I'm glad we got to the Bikini-Bottom of this.

It was only a matter of tide.

There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has expired, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-mermaid/page/4?hl=mrm_4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.