IMG_3245 (resized).jpg
IMG_3244 (resized).jpg
IMG_3240 (resized).jpg
IMG_3238 (resized).jpg
IMG_3239 (resized).jpg
mermaid (resized).png
Julia (resized).jpg
F52FB1DD-AE2C-4544-B079-FDF12B8B402A (resized).jpeg

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has expired, so this topic closed automatically.

There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 1 year ago

EXPIRED

Expired ad

This ad has expired and was removed from the MarketPlace. The owner has been requested to end their ad, so it can be archived.

Game - for sale

For sale: Mermaid

Added: 2022-05-09 16:48:08 UTC
Condition: Functional - needs minor work

#2 1 year ago

Holy Grail?

#3 1 year ago

yea indiana jones found it in the 2nd movie i believe
way cheaper than 25k

#4 1 year ago

False advertising! I cam here thinking “Finally I can get a Mermaid to go with my Merman and breed them, and for only 25k!” Boy was I wrong. In case anyone is interested, I have an unopened can of some kind of food from the 50’s. No label, but 100% original condition. While I would love 100k for it, I would settle for 25k. All jokes aside, its a pretty machine. GLWWTF?!

#5 1 year ago

imagine it's a new account too. No touchups anywhere, is a negative thing, when the playfield is blown out like this one is.

If you want 25K out of this, you are going to have to send the playfield out for professional restoration, and rebuild everything to make sure it's running 100%. Can't do a quick wipe down with a dirty rag and new rubbers and expect 25k.

It is a rare woodrail. But clay also was the one trying to pump it up.

#6 1 year ago

This has got to be a joke

#7 1 year ago

This is definitely one way to make an impression in your first 20 minutes on pinside.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

imagine it's a new account too. No touchups anywhere, is a negative thing, when the playfield is blown out like this one is.
If you want 25K out of this, you are going to have to send the playfield out for professional restoration, and rebuild everything to make sure it's running 100%. Can't do a quick wipe down with a dirty rag and new rubbers and expect 25k.
It is a rare woodrail. But clay also was the one trying to pump it up.

And it still won't go for 25k

#10 1 year ago

oh sorry, thought this was for an actual mermaid

carry on

#11 1 year ago

Maybe I should cross-post this ad to the "Projects For Sale" topic?

#12 1 year ago

I don't know anything about wood rails, is this game really special?

#14 1 year ago

Mermaid has been pissing of price police for over 20 years and I’m all for it!

“An EM for $7000?!?!?”- some guy on RGP in 2004

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

There was a time when It was quite valuable but the wood rail market isn’t what it used to be.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Its a rare game, but it comes up for sale every so often which = rare but not holy grail or anything - it's attainable. Holy Grail would be Loch Ness Monster or Wizard Blocks or an original KingPin under 10 prod, under 5 prod, under 2 prod., Bell Fantasy - stuff like that which never comes up for sale. Rare gets thrown around too loosely, LE's are not rare, 1 of 50s are hard to find I guess but people get em, Batman SLEs are hard to come by, can go on forever. Mermaid - there were like 600 made and lets say 75% destroyed - still 150 floating around so Batman SLE would be considered more rare and Elvira 40th in the realm. This one is the only one for sale right now so the seller has that going for him. No clue the actual worth, lots of new buyers throwing around money so who knows.

#17 1 year ago

So on the plus side:
Wayne Neyens and Roy Parker game.
Cool backbox animation.
Complete, working game.
Negatives:
Playfield wear.
Woodrails ain't what they used to be.

Google turns up this, which claims that a Mermaid sold for $22,000 in 2012.
https://www.greatestcollectibles.com/rebuilt-mermaid-pinball-machine/#.Ynlx_j7MKUk

So who knows. Maybe the OP isn't as crazy as it seems.
(Edit: I am not paying that kind of money for ANY game, but someone might.)

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from bbble:

Its a rare game, but it comes up for sale every so often which = rare but not holy grail or anything - it's attainable. Holy Grail would be Loch Ness Monster or Wizard Blocks or an original KingPin under 10 prod, under 5 prod, under 2 prod., Bell Fantasy - stuff like that which never comes up for sale. Rare gets thrown around too loosely, LE's are not rare, 1 of 50s are hard to find I guess but people get em, Batman SLEs are hard to come by, can go on forever. Mermaid - there were like 600 made and lets say 75% destroyed - still 150 floating around so Batman SLE would be considered more rare and Elvira 40th in the realm. This one is the only one for sale right now so the seller has that going for him. No clue the actual worth, lots of new buyers throwing around money so who knows.

Yeah I am aware of the solid state heavy hitters but when it comes to wood rails I know next to nothing. Thanks for the explanation!

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Yeah I am aware of the solid state heavy hitters but when it comes to wood rails I know next to nothing. Thanks for the explanation!

My bad, got a little into it, If I had to guess Mermaid is the Varkon or head to head joust in availability.

#20 1 year ago

I always thought that exhibit supply's Treasure Chest was the woodrail holy grail, no?
I know the PPM has a mermaid that's playable, don't remember it being super fun.
B

#21 1 year ago

Damn! Lighten up. Give this guy a break. "Mermaid" is a highly desirable and the most collectable woodrail out there.
They don't grow on trees. It's hard to find one in *any* condition.
It just might be "worth" $25,000 to someone, and if not, he's taking offers.
Yeah, the playfield has significant wear, but the rest of the game looks pretty damn nice.
Obviously, none, or very few of the detractors here are into woodrails, but those of us who are, recognize the relative value of this model. Would "I" pay $25,000
for it? No, but it's certainly at or near the top of many woodrail collectors' wishlists, including mine. He'll likely get a good payday out of it if everything is legit.

#22 1 year ago

Yes. To anyone into woodrails, it surely is!

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Yes. To anyone into woodrails, it surely is!

More desirable than Queen of Hearts?

#24 1 year ago

25k can buy a lot of tail !

image (resized).pngimage (resized).png
#25 1 year ago

Mermaid was the holy grail of pinballs for decades. I have only ever seen 3 come up for sale in 25 years and have had collectors tell me they would pay $10k-20k if I ever found them one. It's worth whatever someone will pay these days. Unfortunately most people that played this machine growing up stopped collecting over the last twenty years. Still a grail piece for many EM collectors.

#26 1 year ago

Old guys been educating outraged mermaid price police since back in the RGP days.

It’s an incredibly rare game (I don’t know why anybody else is saying otherwise) with some of the coolest backbox animation ever.

In 20+ years in hobby I’ve never seen one with my own eyes.

As long as people are collecting wood rails it will be sought after.

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from bluespin:

More desirable than Queen of Hearts?

"Queen Of Hearts" is also very desirable, but much easier to come by. My brother has one.

#28 1 year ago

I've no comment on the price, truth be told I think in this market I don't know how out of bounds the pricing is.

I just think the market ad has about 80% or more of the normal "SCAM" flags to it, and I doubt the ad is legit. No seller history, creates an account and within just a few minutes has a known, rare, collectible game posted in an ad with a high price. Has made zero other interaction with pinside. Even the forum software thinks the location is fake.

#29 1 year ago

D0903C07-F3E4-4C40-B36C-006C912BE714.jpegD0903C07-F3E4-4C40-B36C-006C912BE714.jpeg

#30 1 year ago

Maybe Russ at Pinrescue can shed some light on this. I don't know if he's a Pinsider, and I didn't see him at Pinfest.

#31 1 year ago

In case anyone cares to know, VFW has a Mermaid.

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

As long as people are collecting wood rails it will be sought after.

I don't know anyone that does, but the super whales that would buy this for rarity sake are going to want a HEP quality piece.

#33 1 year ago

My father who is a big woodrail guy and route operator was lucky enough to find two Mermaids, one we completely restored and sold to a customer during the pandemic. Attached are some photos of that machine, it had 1 of the 10 Wade repro playfields, and a Shay repro backglass.
Yes it’s a rare machine and I very much enjoyed it, but sometimes you can’t say no when the price is right. And for those wondering, sale price was $25,000.

7C3BE80F-EF4F-465F-93D3-9D263A75886A (resized).jpeg7C3BE80F-EF4F-465F-93D3-9D263A75886A (resized).jpeg1939AF39-7070-4C00-88B7-B531467774DD (resized).jpeg1939AF39-7070-4C00-88B7-B531467774DD (resized).jpeg198AC49E-F35E-46FF-9B7F-1814A659A43B (resized).jpeg198AC49E-F35E-46FF-9B7F-1814A659A43B (resized).jpeg33C72EEE-4568-45F3-A42F-9DB577F9710F (resized).jpeg33C72EEE-4568-45F3-A42F-9DB577F9710F (resized).jpeg5A1BAAC4-929A-4F22-87A2-8347BBE545E8 (resized).jpeg5A1BAAC4-929A-4F22-87A2-8347BBE545E8 (resized).jpeg
#34 1 year ago

Whales buying Mermaids. Sounds like a whole new world.

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from wolverinetuner:

In case anyone cares to know, VFW has a Mermaid.

Yes. I believe Clay had commissioned the repro playfield, and personally paid for the entire run of them. I don't think there are any left.

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I don't know anyone that does, but the super whales that would buy this for rarity sake are going to want a HEP quality piece.

Well, you gotta start somewhere to get there sometimes.

We just saw a dragon fist with a sharpie smiley face drawn on Bruce lee’s face go for north of $6k

#37 1 year ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Whales buying Mermaids. Sounds like a whole new world.

A new fantastic point of view!

#38 1 year ago
Quoted from skink91:

A new fantastic point of view!

I was thinking with a porpoise.

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I was thinking with a porpoise.

Groan....

#40 1 year ago
Quoted from That370Z:

My father who is a big woodrail guy and route operator was lucky enough to find two Mermaids, one we completely restored and sold to a customer during the pandemic. Attached are some photos of that machine, it had 1 of the 10 Wade repro playfields, and a Shay repro backglass.
Yes it’s a rare machine and I very much enjoyed it, but sometimes you can’t say no when the price is right. And for those wondering, sale price was $25,000.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

that one is $15k better condition than the other.

#41 1 year ago

Couldn't be bothered to take decent photos? Left the glass on - seriously? My oh my.

#42 1 year ago

Sorry, I'm just hooked on sea puns. I'll scale it back a bit.

#43 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that one is $15k better condition than the other.

I don't know. Spend a little bit on playfield restoration, and you'll have a very nice copy. There aren't many of these around.
I don't blame the guy for starting at $25K. He'd likely take somewhat less.

#44 1 year ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Sorry, I'm just hooked on sea puns. I'll scale it back a bit.

And here I thought you were trying to make an Aladdin joke out of a Little Mermaid joke…

#45 1 year ago

Anyone know of a video of the backbox animation? I would love to see it. I tried searching with no luck.

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from skink91:

And here I thought you were trying to make an Aladdin joke out of a Little Mermaid joke…

It was a twofer.

#47 1 year ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

It was a twofer.

What does it take to make an octopus laugh?

#48 1 year ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Anyone know of a video of the backbox animation? I would love to see it. I tried searching with no luck.

The YouTube video doesn't show the animation, but it goes something like this;
the fisherman pulls up on the rod, and has nothing but an old boot on the line. Meanwhile, the fish is behind him, squirting him with water from it's mouth.

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from skink91:

What does it take to make an octopus laugh?

About ten tickles…

#50 1 year ago

I have too many debts to pay. If I bought this machine I’d be, underwater.

There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has expired, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-mermaid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.