(Topic ID: 171646)

For sale: Lord of the Rings Limited Edition (Stern, 2009)

By a_derelict

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 136 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by pacman11
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3612b5a2adf8aaea364d47ae8c12739332c1ff4f (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpg
price police (resized).jpeg
starbucks-final-copy-picture (resized).jpg
lotr_bg (resized).jpg
GLWS (resized).jpg
lotr_hair_dick (resized).jpg
200_s (resized).png
IMG_8348 (resized).JPG
images (resized).jpg
IMG_9119 (resized).png
Haha (resized).jpg
IMG_4986 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
10000 (resized).jpg
image (resized).png

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

OP quick, put the ring on.

Well played, my friend. Well played!

#52 7 years ago

#53 7 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

People Are trying to get $1,200 for $1,000 games all day long on here, but if you mark up a LOTR 20% it's insane. The same people trying to get $2,400 for their $2,000 games are bashing this guy for trying to get $10,000 for this game that is marked up about the same percentage.
It's Pinside, 20% above value is asked for games all day every day. So what's so wrong with this guy? It's just a bullshit pile on.

Well said and exactly my point. That said some games on pinside are lower than the local market. Supply and demand based on your area.

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

A TZ sold locally for $8900. The guy who bought it as his first pin and wanted a HOU one as it was pin he played when in college. The seller sold on Craigslist in less than 24hrs. I think it is crazy but the buyer and seller were happy. The free market always wins.

Your example is only one of the free market winning if the buyer was aware that they were over paying for that TZ. Otherwise it's an example of the seller capitalizing on the buyer's ignorance.

Helping buyers make informed decisions is exactly what responsible friendly pinheads do. A new buyer is more likely to be ignorant of market conditions and potentially get screwed by someone.

#55 7 years ago

Let's be realistic. Even though the seller didn't create a forum thread when he was selling this game in August, I don't think the "price police" would have swooped in at his price of 8500. It's simply the fact that it is now 10k a couple months later. And of course he is free to ask whatever he wants for his game. Hell, ask 15k like Stern. But it will get pointed out that it is a very high price by people. The interesting part of Pinside is that the ad here becomes almost useless. Anyone who sees it will read this and know the game is very overpriced. If the seller didn't want that, they didn't need to create a thread.

And also yes, LOTR is probably a much better game than the overpriced stuff Stern and JJP is puttin out right now. I own one, and I would hate to see the price of it climb to 10k. The higher they go, the less the number of people can get to own them. And I think everyone should have the opportunity to own LOTR at least once.

#56 7 years ago

When it comes down to it, the buyer sets the price, not the seller. If no one is willing to pay the OP's asking price, it simply won't sell.

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

And also yes, LOTR is probably a much better game than the overpriced stuff Stern and JJP is puttin out right now. I own one, and I would hate to see the price of it climb to 10k. The higher they go, the less the number of people can get to own them. And I think everyone should have the opportunity to own LOTR at least once.

Classy statement

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Let's be realistic. Even though the seller didn't create a forum thread when he was selling this game in August, I don't think the "price police" would have swooped in at his price of 8500. It's simply the fact that it is now 10k a couple months later. And of course he is free to ask whatever he wants for his game. Hell, ask 15k like Stern. But it will get pointed out that it is a very high price by people. The interesting part of Pinside is that the ad here becomes almost useless. Anyone who sees it will read this and know the game is very overpriced. If the seller didn't want that, they didn't need to create a thread.

A friend recently picked up a LOTR at auction for just over 3k. Sure it wasn't the LE and needed to be cleaned up a bit but its in nice shape and plays great now. OP can ask whatever he wants. Ask 12 or 15k for that matter. In the end of the day there are plenty of LOTR's out there and the Supply & Demand for this title doesn't justify the 10k asking price.

#59 7 years ago

$10,000 THOUSAND DOLLARS??

Gary Stern approves!

IMG_8348 (resized).JPGIMG_8348 (resized).JPG

Is there an application process we need to go through in order to be picked by the OP to have the honor of buying this pin? And, once we own it, can we sell it within 18 months? Or do we have to give the OP a chance to buy it back first?

#60 7 years ago

Is this the LE, or Super LE LOTR?

#61 7 years ago

I like these ads. Gives people something to do. Keeps'em off the streets.

#62 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Your example is only one of the free market winning if the buyer was aware that they were over paying for that TZ. Otherwise it's an example of the seller capitalizing on the buyer's ignorance.
Helping buyers make informed decisions is exactly what responsible friendly pinheads do. A new buyer is more likely to be ignorant of market conditions and potentially get screwed by someone.

Nope he new the price as was a pinside member but wanted the best was his point. I would not have paid that price but he was happy too.

#63 7 years ago

200_s (resized).png200_s (resized).png

#64 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I own one, and I would hate to see the price of it climb to 10k. The higher they go, the less the number of people can get to own them. And I think everyone should have the opportunity to own LOTR at least once.

On the other hand, maybe if people were actually paying 10k for second-hand LOTRS (which we are not) then Stern would take notice and make a VE for us, and then lots more people (like me) could have the chance could have the chance to own this modern classic!

#65 7 years ago
Quoted from Radagast:

On the other hand, maybe if people were actually paying 10k for second-hand LOTRS (which we are not) then Stern would take notice and make a VE for us, and then lots more people (like me) could have the chance could have the chance to own this modern classic!

And then stern would charge 10k+ for it.

Ironman VE and Spiderman VE were not less than what the collector market was already asking.

#66 7 years ago
Quoted from dung:

^^^This. After the announcement of BM66, I personally believe that when the Hobbit license runs out we will see a LoTR with an LCD along with a hefty price tag.

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

^^^This. After the announcement of BM66, I personally believe that when the Hobbit license runs out we will see a LoTR with an LCD along with a hefty price tag.

Service rails and a non-ghosting playfield will raise the price to 12K.

#68 7 years ago

I'd sell mine to the first person who offers me $9K - shipping not included of course!

And you gotta come get it out of my basement...

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Ironman VE and Spiderman VE were not less than what the collector market was already asking.

IMVE was way less than IM 2010 market price. SMVE was substantially more than original SM market price.

#70 7 years ago

Still a better deal than bm66sle or di-ce at least you know your getting an amazing game.

#71 7 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Iron Man VE was more then 1k less then what collectors were asking for original IM's

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Iron Man VE was more then 1k less then what collectors were asking for original IM's

That's when Stern was still pricing reasonably off BOM and labor. Next came minimum pricing requirements...mod gate... and then total blood sucking cash grab!

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

For a modded out huo yes. For a run of the mil average routed one not so much. Which is still the case with machines now. Lotta people ask well above sterns nib price for their modded huo machines.

#74 7 years ago
Quoted from dung:

For a modded out huo yes. For a run of the mil average routed one not so much. Which is still the case with machines now. Lotta people ask well above sterns nib price for their modded huo machines.

Nope. As an IM owner I saw the value of mine drop by about $1000 (possibly more) overnight. People just could not pry IMs from their owners before the VE:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtt-nice-afm-for-iron-man

#75 7 years ago

Oh, and then there was this fiasco, where Cointaker wanted $6500 for their IM, prompting Black_Rose to switch allegiances to Comet LEDs:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-looking-for-a-im

#76 7 years ago

BR actually never switched. Bought IMVE from cointaker.

#77 7 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Oh, and then there was this fiasco, where Cointaker wanted $6500 for their IM, prompting Black_Rose to switch allegiances to Comet LEDs:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-looking-for-a-im

I never seen that thread but after just reading over it I get no indication that B_R switched supporting CT leds for COMETS. He was actually supportive of Chris making the sale.

#78 7 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

He did briefly, or at least posted some pro-Comet stuff. Even discussed his "stock" in cointaker as part of the betrayal (of sorts).

#79 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

I never seen that thread but after just reading over it I get no indication that B_R switched supporting CT leds for COMETS. He was actually supportive of Chris making the sale.

*saw. You never *saw* that thread.

Could have been in another thread, or maybe B_R edited his post, but he definitely was posting some pro-Comet stuff at the time.

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

IMVE was way less than IM 2010 market price. SMVE was substantially more than original SM market price.

I seriously doubt we will ever see another IMVE again. That was such an awesome thing. A machine selling at WAY above market, and Stern comes out and drops the bomb of the VE at the Pro price point. I thought they were nuts because I didn't think the market for IM would be able to deal with that many more, but then I ended up owning one. But now they know they can raise the price and sell them, so up they go. Anyone waiting for a TronVE or a LOTRVE should stop waiting. It will make the price of this LOTR game almost seem reasonable. Oh, and OP, good lick with your sale (see, that is what you call an on topic closing to a post).

#81 7 years ago

BR never left Cointaker. He expressed frustration, but that's it. We are good friends, and as I said bought IMVE from Cointaker. He does videos from my collection for them. End of story.

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from dung:

I'll bet they vault it someday with something else in place of the path of the dead, throw in the lcd & revise the sword lock. Might outsell GB

#83 7 years ago

IIRC there was an IM situation where a Stern distro stated an IM was HUO when it was later said (by others) to be routed & all that SHTF right before IMVE was announced which the distro was accused of knowing before he put his IM up for sale.

Sorta like insider trading & misrepresentation of a bond rating but with pinball... Pinsider trading lol

Swore it was CT & BR but what do I know?

I just put in an order with CT tho

#84 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

IIRC there was an IM situation where a Stern distro stated an IM was HUO when it was later said (by others) to be routed & all that SHTF right before IMVE was announced which the distro was accused of knowing before he put his IM up for sale.
Sorta like insider trading & misrepresentation of a bond rating but with pinball... Pinsider trading lol
Swore it was CT & BR but what do I know?

That was the Cointaker/B_R thread above. Cointaker didn't claim it was HUO, just that it was one-owner and mint. Then B_R outed it as a game on route. Lots of corn was popped that night on pinside.

#85 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I bought my. GOT from them, and let's just say I really ended up needing the great service they provide when things go wrong. They took great care of me.

#86 7 years ago

Love it. I'm going to steal that line.

#87 7 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

I'll bet they vault it someday with something else in place of the path of the dead, throw in the lcd & revise the sword lock. Might outsell GB

If they do I they would most likely have to use the books instead of the movies due to licensing. Would lose a lot of the character.

#88 7 years ago

Safe to say any future VE will be tweaked a little and the cost will be super high. Acdc, Lotr, Tron, FG, POTC all will be $7500 miniumum and $8000 with a new screen. Days of IM ve for $4700 delivered NIB compared to a routed IM for $5700, if you were lucky enough to find one, are gone.

It is too bad.

#89 7 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

What happened to BR. He's gone silent??

#90 7 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Safe to say any future VE will be tweaked a little and the cost will be super high. Acdc, Lotr, Tron, FG, POTC all will be $7500 miniumum and $8000 with a new screen. Days of IM ve for $4700 delivered NIB compared to a routed IM for $5700, if you were lucky enough to find one, are gone.
It is too bad.

If you are implying that Whitestar & Sam system VE's are going to be converted to the Spike system .... Not going to happen

#91 7 years ago

GLWS.

Let consider something outside the nature of this LOTR LE.
VEs are not the "wave of the future", unless Stern is really hurting required money during the next stall, which already happened in the past.
Rethemes and reruns are the future, along with new titles as long as the market is supports new game sales and eventually Stern "The Pin" v2.0 when the market is peaked on cost for commercial titles, which is coming within the next two years.
LEs will eventually "stop pooping out" at the current rate of speed.
BM66 SLE was a test of the "Stern Pricing Emergency Broadcast System" by merging a retheme with the LE concept.
Quite crafty, I must say, and there are certainly 80 people that took the bait 100% for $$$$.

Personally, I don't care if Stern "raises the roof" on their games to $50K.
It will actually help collectors in the long run, as the market will accelerate to stall, and prices will drop.
There may be even a few good closeout overstocks to capitalize on, including those companies that drop out of the pinball race.
Smart collectors will swoop in with cash in hand.

For assistance for production numbers for those that are unaware, LOTR has already been rerun NINE times including the LE.
Stern could easily do it over and over again, if needed, to satiate the needs of the market.
They already have before as long as the orders keep moving.
Understand the strategies of the industry as Stern is preparing for the future (such as the new "home edition" machine), although Stern is making a new mistake by focusing exclusively on the home market with no fallback to operators whatsoever.
"Bad move, human."
The last time was a fight to focus on operators versus home market (before the big forced "change" by the Stern advisory council to the home market to Gary Stern) which if not had happened, Stern could have potentially caused the company to go bankrupt.
Fortunately, some people had some common sense.

This game title will never be converted to an upgraded system, it makes no financial sense, as the code would have to be reworked, along with playfield design. They can just charge a "modern" price for the same game and manufacture, and new potential owners will buy the game just the same, as they will never know the difference. In fact, they can still remove basic game features like maintenance rails, and people still would not cry wolf.

If enthusiasts do not understand the differences between original, reruns, reproductions, remakes, rethemes, and the other major terms that describe the production of pinball machines (or any other collectible), read my latest published pinball article in the next couple of days.
LOTR cannot be a reproduction if made with a SAM or SPIKE system (which will not happen), if it uses differently designed parts and technology. That is a remake, and yes it does make a difference to collectors not necessarily owners or players.

As defined in the collecting world this LOTR LE is a RETHEME not RERUN of the original (although the rerun argument could be debated since technically it is the same game as a new title subcategory game), due to changes in production such as the real backglass, thereby making it worth more in this particular case.
Regardless, the market still determines the value.

GLWS (resized).jpgGLWS (resized).jpg

#92 7 years ago
Quoted from moto_cat:

If you are implying that Whitestar & Sam system VE's are going to be converted to the Spike system .... Not going to happen

He was saying that the pricing model of IMVE is gone. One and done. It doesn't matter what the platform is. There is no way we will see a Tron or LOTR at the "less than 5k street price" again. I'd be surprised if a VE was below 6k unless it just squeaks in at 5800.

#93 7 years ago

I have heard that the price of the "penis-beard" LE were up...or down.... whatever

lotr_hair_dick (resized).jpglotr_hair_dick (resized).jpg

#94 7 years ago
Quoted from a_derelict:

A lot of estrogen in this thread. I recommend sunlight and b vitamins. Ads sticking around through Christmas so get used to it.

This sounds like a job for Marshall Lucky...

#95 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

He was saying that the pricing model of IMVE is gone. One and done. It doesn't matter what the platform is. There is no way we will see a Tron or LOTR at the "less than 5k street price" again. I'd be surprised if a VE was below 6k unless it just squeaks in at 5800.

Of course the pricing model exists, just in a different form.
What platform you may ask?
What is this new VE name?

It is called Stern "The Pin" v2.0.
The future Stern subsidized "Pro" model.

Stern won't necessarily release it until the market peaks out on Premium and LE sales for profit.
Stern is patiently waiting, watching the market, and tweaking and finishing the product for consumer sales.
They cannot guarantee its success, but they will use the game type in their "pinball kit bag" when its time comes.
They don't want to be left with an open bag when new game sales eventually stall.

#96 7 years ago

How is this still available?

#97 7 years ago

I see that a LOTR LE popped up on Mr. Pinball classified's this morning for $6900.00. Description says "Game is very much still like new."

#98 7 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

I have heard that the price of the "penis-beard" LE were up...or down.... whatever

You have the same thing on the regular LOTR:

lotr_bg (resized).jpglotr_bg (resized).jpg

#100 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

You have the same thing on the regular LOTR:

That is no where near as bad as LOTR-HD (Hair Dick).

And in person with that mirror outline once you see it you can't un-see it

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 39.50
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 7.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-lord-of-the-rings-limited-edition-stern-2009-2012/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.