(Topic ID: 185911)

For sale: Junk Yard (at MGC this weekend!)

By Lame33

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Lame33
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 27 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

File_006 (resized).jpeg
File_004(1) (resized).jpeg
File_001(1) (resized).jpeg
File_003(1) (resized).jpeg
File_002(1) (resized).jpeg
File_005(1) (resized).jpeg
File_006(1) (resized).jpeg
File_007 (resized).jpeg
File_000(2) (resized).jpeg
File_003(2) (resized).jpeg
File_001(2) (resized).jpeg
File_004(2) (resized).jpeg
IMG_20170312_135603 (resized).jpg
File_000(3) (resized).jpeg
File_005(2) (resized).jpeg
File_001(3) (resized).jpeg

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

#1 2 years ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

Price

$ 3,400 (OBO)

Open for offers

for sale

For sale: Junk Yard (at MGC this weekend!)

Added: April 7th, 2017 Ended: April 9th, 2017
Condition: Used - shows wear but 100% working and clean

Item description

At the Midwest Gaming Classic, I will have a Junk Yard available for sale. I’m asking $3,400.

I’m posting this on Pinside because I believe that when I’m asking someone for thousands of dollars, I should be as comprehensive and forthcoming as possible. The dim lights and bustle of a show like MGC can lead to miscommunication and surprises. I would rather avoid those and believe both people should be happy with the transaction.

Reasons for selling and conditions of sale:
I’ve owned the game for about a year. Given my small collection, that was the intended duration I expected to keep the game. I also needed something to bring to MGC for the after party. (The after party ticket is not included with the game.) I believe in bringing games to this show. Because of my crazy schedule this coming weekend, I will not be able to complete any transactions until early in the evening on Saturday.

Pinside: Since I posted this here, if it sells, the requisite fee will be paid to Pinside. Thanks Robin for all that you do for this hobby.

History and ownership:
It was purchased from Methos here on Pinside. Beyond that, I could not tell you anything about the game.

Overall Condition: I would classify it as a decent player’s condition game. I know that means different things to different people, but in this case it means that all the game play features work without a credit dot. It has several nicks and dings in the cabinet, but the playfield looks pretty good. It’s a fun game and it plays well, but the word mint will never be used to describe it.

Specific Categories:
Mods: I’ve installed three mods that I think add some character to the game.
1. A Spike dog head is attached on the end of the shooter rod.
2. The flat plastic car decals in the center have been swapped with a cool painted 3D replacement that adds a bit of depth to the central area of focus in the game.
3. The magic bus is now a die cast model that looks like it belongs in a junk yard. The paint is a nifty real rust solution that gets cleared so that it is neutralized and does not spread, but is supposedly actual rust. I’ve also added some color changing lights that make the magic bus glow. This was installed with Comet’s modular Matrix system.
The original parts will be included with the game too.

Cabinet: The decals have good color, but are far from pristine. As the included pictures show, it has several scratches and some dings on the rails. It was touched up before I got it and I’ve touched up the black spots a bit myself too.

I put Mylar patches around the flipper buttons as the area was slightly rough and worn.

Playfield: This looks really nice and while I may have missed it, I don’t really see any wear. A couple of the inserts are showing signs of wanting to be less than perfectly flat, but I’ve not seen any evidence of it impacting the ball. Cleaned and waxed it with Blitz wax to be ready for the show.

Lights: Junk Yard is one of the few games that I’ve owned that I did not immediately swap out with all LEDs. Instead, I’ve installed a mix. All the inserts are color matched and really pop. Non-ghosting LEDs were used in spots that wanted to flicker. The slingshot lights are different colors and styles to emphasis the angel and devil. For the GI, I left in the incandescent bulbs. I think it just looks better and matches the theme. I’ve also left incandescent bulbs in the back box as parts of the translite are transparent and I did not like the color or look with LEDs.
That brings me to the one issue with this game I could not fix. A section of lights is out in the back box. I owned the game for nine months before I even noticed and I don’t consider it big deal, but as I said earlier, I’m a fan of full disclosure. The game seems more than bright enough without them. I replaced the connector to the board as it was a bit crispy. I did not replace the pins on the board and I’m assuming that is the culprit.

Plastics: They are in good shape and I don’t think any are cracked.

Legs: Couple rust spots, but they look ok. New feet and leg bolts are installed.
Rings: All the rings were swapped out a couple months ago with Titans in an interesting array of colors.

Flippers: They have good enough action for me, but I’m not picky. If you are, they could probably use a rebuild.

Display: Clear and bright with no issues that I’ve seen.

Boards: Beyond the aforementioned few bulbs in the backbox, I’ve had no real issues. The Rom version is 1.1. It had Alkaline batteries when I got it, but no sign of acid damage. 10 year AA lithium batteries are currently installed.

TL;DR
The game works and plays rock solid. It’s fun and fast.
Many new parts, minor repairs, mods and cleaning have it looking nice, but well used.

Price: $3,400. Cash only.
Local preferred. Not looking to ship

Trade: The next game I intend to buy is LotR. If you want to move to the front of the queue in a deal, take my

Item photos

File_006 (resized).jpeg
4 (resized).jpeg
2 (resized).jpeg
5 (resized).jpeg
1 (resized).jpeg
3 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20170404_190223 (resized).jpg
File_005(3) (resized).jpeg
File_004(3) (resized).jpeg
IMG_20170404_190214 (resized).jpg
File_002(3) (resized).jpeg
File_003(3) (resized).jpeg
File_001(3) (resized).jpeg
File_005(2) (resized).jpeg
File_000(3) (resized).jpeg
IMG_20170312_135603 (resized).jpg
File_004(2) (resized).jpeg
File_001(2) (resized).jpeg
File_003(2) (resized).jpeg
File_000(2) (resized).jpeg
File_007 (resized).jpeg
File_006(1) (resized).jpeg
File_005(1) (resized).jpeg
File_002(1) (resized).jpeg
File_003(1) (resized).jpeg
File_001(1) (resized).jpeg
File_004(1) (resized).jpeg

Photos not showing? Make sure your ad blocker plugin is not hiding them.

Contact

Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!

Listing result

The seller ended this ad and submitted the final sales price into our price database but opted not to disclose the price publicly.

Seller contributed to Pinside for selling this item!

Item location

Racine, WI, US

Seller insights

These are Lame33's all time market stats.

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

100.0%

Go to Lame33's stats page

#2 2 years ago

Closer to PA and I'd be all over this..grest game, GLWS

#3 2 years ago

nice game, wish you were closer

#4 2 years ago

Wow -- that's a pretty damn detailed description, including pics. Can this ad be sticky-noted on page 1 as an example of how to sell a game with complete honesty??! I love buying games from people like this -- no shenanigans! Jy is a fun game -- wish I had that 3D printed piece that replaces that car plastic! Gl!

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Arcadebrothers:

nice game, wish you were closer

Sounds like time for a road trip to MGC! Bring your LotR along and you can have my JY and a stack of cash.

Quoted from Mbecker:

- wish I had that 3D printed piece that replaces that car plastic!

I don't know if the guy still has any, but I bought it on Pinside.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/junk-yard-3d-cars-surround-mod#post-2120938

#6 2 years ago

I echo what Mbecker said! Very detailed and great pics! Great Pinsider!

#7 2 years ago

That bus looks like it has been to hell and back. I love it! I have the same die cast installed without the de-restoration. Way cooler than the original cheap hollow blue rubber one. Really adds the right kind of character to this game. I now need those 3D cars for my JY! Thanks for the link. Hopefully the creator has motivation to make more of these. Pinsiders will eat them up.

#8 2 years ago

Great description. I wish all sellers had your approach.

#9 2 years ago

Lame33 is a good dude, bought his RFM last year at MGC, was a great game that I just passed along to a friend. Good seller and good guy!

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

I don't know if the guy still has any, but I bought it on Pinside.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/junk-yard-3d-cars-surround-mod#post-2120938
<\blockquote>

Yeah - I just found that thread 3 or 4 days ago actually -- for anyone interested, sounds like he may at some point make more blanks but probably in black only (you had to hand paint them either way but the clear version might allow for some light to come thru?)

Op - curious which version yours is and if clear, does it allow for any lighting thru it?

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Great description. I wish all sellers had your approach.

Thanks. Sadly, i found the character limit for a sales ad, as my original post was over a 1000 characters too long.

I find my hacked up edit to a tad disjointed.

Obviously, I've got issues.

#12 2 years ago

Game is still available. Couple trade offers and some people mentioning they will check in with me today, but nothing definite.

I should be at the show most of the day.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside