Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Kenz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1400365_10154048356734036_8747633098361536288_o (resized).jpg
DFB4C443-1310-4B39-8FCC-8DC78F01BB6D (resized).jpeg
85FA8398-4E7F-4D68-9EA4-6E911412A27A (resized).jpeg
08528A18-03D5-4BA1-B7E8-421EE0C85394 (resized).jpeg
372026C9-A4BE-40E7-A55E-D83B7B2DCAA9 (resized).jpeg
C97E6436-8639-45AD-A37E-4590586FC3FC (resized).jpeg
9C4230B4-82E8-4D17-B746-FEB9EA045CF5 (resized).jpeg
3BFD8065-98ED-4FE4-B89B-396FD975D9F3 (resized).jpeg
5BAC1267-B4E8-40AE-88B8-122EA2FCC4A7 (resized).jpeg
987E248A-496E-4E4D-8458-9B4D668D5F42 (resized).jpeg
8A2F844A-7891-4E42-94EE-5BC8A20079F5 (resized).jpeg
E9A8255F-6262-4563-9B9B-4EF8328D5F3E (resized).jpeg
E36AADF6-D646-49D5-A7F3-73C54A9311C6 (resized).jpeg

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

#1 1 year ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

Price

$ 800 (Firm)

Price is firm

for sale

For sale: Huge Fish Tales Project in Reno NV

Added: May 21st, 2019 Ended: May 21st, 2019
Condition: As is

Item description

Alright. So this Fish Tales is beyond my attention span to work with at the moment. I bought this machine with the intention of robbing the coin door but realized it was not the right door for the game I wanted to use it on. Then the machine grew on me, and I’m sure that even if it was the right door, I couldn’t bring myself to axe it. It had already been picked apart before I got it, but it can still be saved in the right hands.

I cannot embellish this game at all. It is bad. There are no boards, no power transformer, no topper, no glass, no legs, no DMD, no translite. There is humidity damage and rodent stank. The inserts on the playfield are lifted (could probably be repaired?).

The good? Nothing proprietary is missing as far as I can see. If you find the parts and have the time, this game can certainly be rescued. It was destined to be parted by those who owned it, but in complete honesty, it can be saved. And I’d like to see that done. If the machine doesn’t sell, I will reconstruct it eventually. But the other projects I have right now take priority. FT was never really on my want list, so I’d love to see it go to someone who’s been wanting one instead.

I will not sell any parts off this game. It’s teetering that fine line between total loss and salvageable. I’d rather not make it any worse. The apron is included, just not pictured.

$800. Weekend delivery within 4 hours of Reno NV available for the price of gas, lunch, and tolls if applicable. Shipping is not available, sorry.

Item photos

E9A8255F-6262-4563-9B9B-4EF8328D5F3E (resized).jpeg
85FA8398-4E7F-4D68-9EA4-6E911412A27A (resized).jpeg
3BFD8065-98ED-4FE4-B89B-396FD975D9F3 (resized).jpeg
08528A18-03D5-4BA1-B7E8-421EE0C85394 (resized).jpeg
372026C9-A4BE-40E7-A55E-D83B7B2DCAA9 (resized).jpeg
5BAC1267-B4E8-40AE-88B8-122EA2FCC4A7 (resized).jpeg
8A2F844A-7891-4E42-94EE-5BC8A20079F5 (resized).jpeg
987E248A-496E-4E4D-8458-9B4D668D5F42 (resized).jpeg
9C4230B4-82E8-4D17-B746-FEB9EA045CF5 (resized).jpeg
C97E6436-8639-45AD-A37E-4590586FC3FC (resized).jpeg
E36AADF6-D646-49D5-A7F3-73C54A9311C6 (resized).jpeg

Photos not showing? Make sure your ad blocker plugin is not hiding them.

Contact

Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!

Listing result

The seller marked this ad as "not sold". The item did not sell through Pinside so there's no listing result.

Item location

Reno, NV, US

Seller insights

These are TheDrewster's all time market stats.

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

100.0%

Go to TheDrewster's stats page

#2 1 year ago
DFB4C443-1310-4B39-8FCC-8DC78F01BB6D (resized).jpeg
#3 1 year ago

Probably $2000 worth in parts needed
Labor 100 hrs ?? ( per $100 a hr)

Does not seem logical to bring this one back
From the dead.

#4 1 year ago

100.00 by Christmas

#5 1 year ago

You do know you can find coin doors for sale instead of buying the whole pin.

Weird story.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from rvdv:

From the dead.

I'd be up for the job. It's not about the money VS time, it's about the oppritunjty. I never see projects in MN, so I have to reach out to out of state deals. I'd have bought this project and had it shipped via fastenal, but conflicting times for op to get it to a store. I already have the transformer, board mounting plate. Boards, etc.

I will probably never see a local fish tales or get the chance to restore one without buying a full priced one and still sinking 2k into it.

#7 1 year ago

Hmmmm....this is in pretty much the same condition as the one I did last year. Here is an outline for anyone interested in taking this on:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-fish-tales-rebuild

I would be interested in doing it again, however, I would need to pick up the game for about $400 to even consider it...

After I totaled up all the parts at the end I had almost the same amount of money in it that I sold it for, not counting labor...

But I love doing these rebuilds, so I would do it again...

If someone else buys this I have a brand new, decaled cabinet ready to go....

#8 1 year ago

If this was near me I'd buy it. BTW cosmo, I live in CT but you live in the same town as most of my relatives. I'd trade in a second..

Quoted from cosmokramer:

Hmmmm....this is in pretty much the same condition as the one I did last year. Here is an outline for anyone interested in taking this on:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-fish-tales-rebuild
I would be interested in doing it again, however, I would need to pick up the game for about $400 to even consider it...
After I totaled up all the parts at the end I had almost the same amount of money in it that I sold it for, not counting labor...
But I love Doing it these rebuilds, so I would do it again...
If someone else buys this I have a brand new, decaled cabinet ready to go....

#9 1 year ago

Thank you for not parting it out and trying to find someone who can salvage it.

There is a finite number of any machine out there, and I hate seeing things parted out for a quick cash grab.

Quoted from rvdv:

Probably $2000 worth in parts needed. Labor 100 hrs ?? ( per $100 a hr)
Does not seem logical to bring this one back From the dead.

Financially, no. But there are a lot of us who aren't driven by the almighty dollar and want to preserve pinball, even at our own expense.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from rvdv:

From the dead.

More like $2500 in parts and 150+ hours...it may not be logical, but a lot of us would do it just because we dont want to see it parted out.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

More like $2500 in parts and 150+ hours...it may not be logical, but a lot of us would do it just because we dont want to see it parted out.

Considering what I have in Orbitor now after 8 months or so of piecing it together I’m break even, but I never count the time spent and my labor because it’s why I enjoy the hobby and it would be unaffordable

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from plankalkul:

Thank you for not parting it out and trying to find someone who can salvage it.
There is a finite number of any machine out there, and I hate seeing things parted out for a quick cash grab.

Financially, no. But there are a lot of us who aren't driven by the almighty dollar and want to preserve pinball, even at our own expense.

Well, anyone trying to get $800 for this *is* "driven by the almighty dollar" (to use your phraseology).

This should be donated to a brave, altruistic pinball hobbyist/restorer.

Since 13,640 were built, parting this game out isn't a big deal!

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Well, anyone trying to get $800 for this *is* "driven by the almighty dollar" (to use your phraseology).

That’s a pretty harsh assumption. There’s actually interested in this game and someone on Klov asked if he would ship so I don’t think he’s out of line

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

That’s a pretty harsh assumption. There’s actually interested in this game and someone on Klov asked if he would ship so I don’t think he’s out of line

False. If you actually think this is worth $800, then put your money where your mouth is. It ain't.

I've restored a Fishtales and have some experience with the title.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

not worth $800 and then another $300-$400 to ship. Kind of puts it out of reach unless someone just want a major project and funds are no issue.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from woody76:

not worth $800 and then another $300-$400 to ship. Kind of puts it out of reach unless someone just want a major project and funds are no issue.

If funds are no issue, there are much better foundations to start a Fishtales restoration. It's missing more than it contains!

The wildly raised inserts are an example of an issue that's really hard to fix. Even if you aren't shooting for perfection, those inserts would need to be dealt with, since they would impede the ball movement.

#17 1 year ago

Here I hate to price up junk but I’ve recently been buying parts like this and you’re looking at:
•$300-$400 for the playfield
•$200 for the cabinet AND hardware
•$200-$300 for the complete head minus boards

That’s standard for essentially any random title and pinball cabinets. Heads always cost more and striped cabinets usually sell for like $50 but my experience is finding all the proper hardware is impossible.

This isn’t pulled out of my ass this is genuinely where things have been priced in this half of the US for the past 6 months.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Here I hate to price up junk but I’ve recently been buying parts like this and you’re looking at:
•$300-$400 for the playfield
•$200 for the cabinet AND hardware
•$200-$300 for the complete head minus boards
That’s standard for essentially any random title and pinball cabinets. Heads always cost more and striped cabinets usually sell for like $50 but my experience is finding all the proper hardware is impossible.
This isn’t pulled out of my ass this is genuinely where things have been priced in this half of the US for the past 6 months.

Makes sense, which is why the seller should part it out if the goal is earning $800.

Selling it to someone on Pinside that believes this is a good foundation for a restoration is a much different scenario.

#19 1 year ago

The reel alone is worth a few bucks. If this was local to me i would be swinging a deal.

#20 1 year ago

My sf2 project was worse, but it was also complete albeit non booting. Boardset alone will run 1k for this so 800 for the current lot makes it a losing proposition. Whoever buys this won't be doing it to make money, but why buy a project you know you will lose on?

1400365_10154048356734036_8747633098361536288_o (resized).jpg
#21 1 year ago
Quoted from dung:

but why buy a project you know you will lose on?

My wife asks me that all the time...

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from dung:

My sf2 project was worse, but it was also complete albeit non booting. Boardset alone will run 1k for this so 800 for the current lot makes it a losing proposition. Whoever buys this won't be doing it to make money, but why buy a project you know you will lose on?[quoted image]

Is that your workshop?!?
Why have a workshop you can’t move in?!?

Teasing of course because I’m sure most of ours look like this. I work out of an arcade now so it forces me to keep it clean

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Is that your workshop?!?
Why have a workshop you can’t move in?!?
Teasing of course because I’m sure most of ours look like this. I work out of an arcade now so it forces me to keep it clean

No, that is the junkyard I picked the game up out of. Game had rats living it, wiring harness chewed up, crap/piss, rust out the ass. Funny thing is the dmd worked when I fixed the wiring harness, so did the boards. Spent an ungodly amount of time on it and sold it for 1200-1300 a few years ago. Made 600-700 off the deal, but not worth it from a time perspective. Just wanted the challenge.

#25 1 year ago

Jeez. Tough crowd. You threaten to part a machine and you get chastised, so you offer up a game as is and you get price policed. Alrighty then. My feelings aren't hurt.

I've actually had a lot of interest in this machine, but I can't ship because of my work schedule right now. This game would've been sold several times over if I had the time to make it to Fastenal. But they aren't open on the weekends. Oh well.

Like I said, if nobody wants it, I'll rebuild it myself. I just want to put my money, time, and space into my TAF and Earthshaker projects first.

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I bought the machine from someone intending on parting it out. I expressed interest in the coin door and ultimately bought the whole thing instead. I am not profiting from this machine. The price is based on what I paid for the machine, the gas it took, and the cost of fixing and cleaning the damage it did to my car with the rodent shit that fell out into the interior of my xB. I still think it's a fair price as similar machines have sold in this price range.

I shouldn't have to justify my cost to anybody, but I will for the sake of transparency. If you don't like my price, don't buy it, and I'll fix it myself.

#27 1 year ago

Haste seeing pins in this condition. They need brought back to life. Fishtales is a classic game. Up there with the best of them!

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside