(Topic ID: 308769)

For sale: HEP: Ultimate Golf Ball Frenzy (OCC)

By acitti

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by meSz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

occpincrew (resized).jpg
ngg (resized).png
signed translite (resized).jpg
28 (resized).jpg
flyer (resized).jpg
27 (resized).jpg
26 (resized).jpg
23 (resized).jpg
22 (resized).jpg
21 (resized).jpg
20 (resized).jpg
19 (resized).jpg
18 (resized).jpg
16 (resized).jpg
14 (resized).jpg
15 (resized).jpg

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

Game - for sale

For sale: HEP: Ultimate Golf Ball Frenzy (OCC)

Featured Ad

Added: 2022-01-25 23:44:45 UTC • Ended: February 22nd, 2022
Condition: Fully restored (full original status)

1 Pinsider added this ad to their favorites.

Price

$ 19,500 (OBO)

Open for offers

Item description

I have updated the information in this ad based on additional information provided by HEP.

This Ultimate Golf Ball Frenzy was produced by Chris Hutchins (HEP). There was between 4-6 of these re-themed machines made it total. Of those, one was given to the OCC team on an episode of American Choppers. Another was auctioned off by the EDS for charity on eBay. At least one other is owned by a pinsider, the others are unknown to me at this time. The machine I am selling today was the one owned by the Orange County Choppers team.

The Orange County Choppers pinball is actually a modification of a modification. Mega Golf Ball Frenzy was a modification of Williams’ 1997 ‘No Good Gofers’. The OCC pinball is a modification of Mega Golf Ball Frenzy by EDS called Ultimate Golf Ball Frenzy, replacing the gophers from Mega Golf Ball Frenzy with Gopher caricatures of the OCC team and then brought to life by High End Pins.

Pictures of the original restoration can be seen here:
http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/v/Finished-Games/album493/?g2_page=1

Since the game was restored, it spend most of its life in the shop of Orange County Choppers. When I purchased the machine, it was in excellent condition with 2 exceptions: the MPU would not boot (so that game was not playable) and the chrome trim and legs had some surface corrosion on them. The good news is that since the pin was not playable, the clear coated playfield still looked amazing.

I polished the existing side rails and hinges on the machine back to a shine. The Lockdown bar and legs were replaced. I also replaced the MPU with a new one (the original non-working board is included with the sale if wanted). After the game was playable I disassembled the playfield, cleaned it and reassembled with upgraded Titan rubbers and LEDs. It has been played a few dozen times since then.

Included with the sale is also several extras:
Original custom manual and instructions set
Original non-working MPU
Orange County Choppers 3 PEZ dispensers signed by the 3 family members. (used as the topper but not attached)
Several extra sets of the custom plastics used in this game
2 extra translites: 1 signed by the OCC family and 1 with no signatures

PM me if you need any other pictures or have any questions.

May be interested in trading for other pinball machines + cash, let me know what you have. I am willing to ship the machine but due to the rarity of this pin I would prefer local pickup. You can come pick it up yourself and play a few other machines while you are here. Machine is in Bakersfield, California.

Item photos

1 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
5 (resized).jpg
4 (resized).jpg
6 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).jpg
14 (resized).jpg
7 (resized).jpg
8 (resized).jpg
9 (resized).jpg
10 (resized).jpg
12 (resized).jpg
15 (resized).jpg
16 (resized).jpg
18 (resized).jpg
11 (resized).jpg
20 (resized).jpg
21 (resized).jpg
26 (resized).jpg
27 (resized).jpg
28 (resized).jpg
23 (resized).jpg
22 (resized).jpg
19 (resized).jpg
signed translite (resized).jpg
flyer (resized).jpg
occpincrew (resized).jpg
2 (resized).jpg

Photos not showing? Make sure your ad blocker plugin is not hiding them.

Contact

Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!

Seller insights

These are acitti's market stats.

gold Seller

acitti has Pinside Gold seller status!

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

100.0%

Go to acitti's stats page

Listing result

The seller marked this ad as "not sold". The item did not sell through Pinside so there's no listing result.

Item location

Bakersfield, CA, US

#2 2 years ago

So, this is a no good gofers?

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

With different art, just not on the playfield

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

Basically, yes. It still plays like a No Good Gofers but it has different artwork.

Quoted from cosmokramer:

With different art, just not on the playfield

Correct, playfield is unchanged from NGG but some of the plastics have new alternate artwork.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from acitti:

Basically, yes. It still plays like a No Good Gofers but it has different artwork.

Correct, playfield is unchanged from NGG but some of the plastics have new alternate artwork.

Same rule set and animation, or custom?

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Same rule set and animation, or custom?

Same ruleset and animation and sounds, most updated code.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from acitti:

Same ruleset and animation and sounds, most updated code.

Ok, so Im not trying to be disrespectful here as I know you are usually a good seller but...
It sounds like a 5500 NGG with alternate trans, new cab art and some plastics for and additional $20,500
Am I missing something?

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Am I missing something?

Something besides a few pez dispensers

#9 2 years ago

Mega Golf Ball Frenzy was a modification of Williams’ 1997 ‘No Good Gofers’ by High End Pins. The OCC pinball is a modification of Mega Golf Ball Frenzy by EDS

It's like the TV show Maude of pins. A spinoff of a spinoff.

#10 2 years ago

Man if this things sells for anywhere near asking price I’m going to decal every machine I come in contact with alternative artwork. Glwts

#11 2 years ago

It’s a HEP

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Ok, so Im not trying to be disrespectful here as I know you are usually a good seller but...
It sounds like a 5500 NGG with alternate trans, new cab art and some plastics for and additional $20,500
Am I missing something?

Not offended, since its a HEP most would agree he is the best (or one of the best) restorers, that in itself brings it up to around 10k if you just look at it as a NGG. On the other side yes it is new custom artwork with other custom features, very few exist, it had been on tv, owned by famous people and yes it has the signed snazzy PEZ dispensers and translite to go with it.

#13 2 years ago

I'm amazed Adam has decided to part with this one. Ive seen it, it is very nice. Customized HEP machines don't come up for sale every day.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I'm amazed Adam has decided to part with this one. Ive seen it, it is very nice. Customized HEP machines don't come up for sale every day.

Need to know what it would cost to have HEP customize my game to fairly assess this statement.

#15 2 years ago

The slam ramp is twisted counterclockwise about 10 degrees, this will make a direct HIO shot very difficult. Otherwise looks great. I do prefer the original yellow flipper bats though.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

The slam ramp is twisted counterclockwise about 10 degrees, this will make a direct HIO shot very difficult. Otherwise looks great. I do prefer the original yellow flipper bats though.

Interesting, I had not noticed that previously. I only have a handful of plays since putting it back together and that is the way it was when I took my pictures before I disassembled it.

#17 2 years ago

I’ll give you 8k for it, shoot me a PM if you’re interested

#18 2 years ago

Here's a shot of ours for comparison. HUO, we bought new in 1999 and it has never been disassembled. Ramp has always had this facing.

EDIT: an official image of the playfield shows similar placement:

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/Williams/games/gofers/rules.htm

ngg (resized).pngngg (resized).png

#19 2 years ago

It is a customized HEP that was done specifically for a TV show. NGG or not… this machine is a rare bird.

#20 2 years ago

If no buyers show up at this price may I recommend affixing a SUPREME bumper sticker to the back or underside of the game.

GLWS, looks gorgeous!

#21 2 years ago

I don’t know exactly why but I hate these games.
Part of it might be because it reminds me of my brother who I loved but was troubled and died in 2013.
Another was probably the entire experience of building them.
They were designed by EDS and all parts were supplied by them. There were deadlines and disappointments.
The gentleman we dealt with there specifically was nice enough but the entire thing just soured me on ever wanting to participate in anything like that again and created a very rigid standard for myself and how I operated moving forward.
Seeing it now listed this way with pictures of my brother etc not even being asked just adds to it I guess but it’s been fifteen years and you just move on.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Here's a shot of ours for comparison. HUO
[quoted image]

I compared your picture to the picture from when HEP finished to how it is now. HEP had it counterclockwise a bit from yours and it is even further now. That should be a quick easy fix, thank you for the information

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

I don’t know exactly why but I hate these games.
Part of it might be because it reminds me of my brother who I loved but was troubled and died in 2013.
Another was probably the entire experience of building them.
They were designed by EDS and all parts were supplied by them. There were deadlines and disappointments.
The gentleman we dealt with there specifically was nice enough but the entire thing just soured me on ever wanting to participate in anything like that again and created a very rigid standard for myself and how I operated moving forward.
Seeing it now listed this way with pictures of my brother etc not even being asked just adds to it I guess but it’s been fifteen years and you just move on.

Sounds a lot like the show.

#24 2 years ago

Seeing it now listed this way with pictures of my brother etc not even being asked just adds to it

My apologies Chris, no disrespect intended, pictures have been removed.

#25 2 years ago

It's HEP restored which adds a ton of value to any title. Cool story which also some adds value. However, to many folks, OCC is/was a scripted side show at best. To some this may be a desirable pin at the right price (although I don't think 26k is that price), to others, the OCC branding will actually devalue it. Either way, it's unique, ill give ya that one. Good luck.

#26 2 years ago

I see you getting around 15k for this. Good luck though. This market is nuts.

#27 2 years ago

April 2007 issue of GameRoom magazine shows four of these being built simultaneously. There's one sitting in my basement.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

There's one sitting in my basement.

Does it have a ColorDMD?

#29 2 years ago

No HDMI no deal

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from He-Man40:

Does it have a ColorDMD?

Yup, must've been added later. It's definitely a HEP though.

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

It's HEP restored which adds a ton of value to any title. Cool story which also some adds value. However, to many folks, OCC is/was a scripted side show at best. To some this may be a desirable pin at the right price (although I don't think 26k is that price), to others, the OCC branding will actually devalue it. Either way, it's unique, ill give ya that one. Good luck.

But the thing about the OCC show is that a lot wasn’t scripted - it was really true unscripted fighting between Senior and Junior. That’s what fueled a lot the program’s popularity, you never knew what was going to happen next and who was gonna fly off the handle.

#32 2 years ago

Is it just me or is the game worth the cost of a HEP Gofers minus the cost of buying new decals and translite? Does anyone really care about OCC to overpay for a NGG with alternative artwork?

#33 2 years ago

The final bid on the one that was auctioned off on eBay years ago was $10,600. That’s somewhat of an indication of what this one could bring. But the OCC hype train left the building years ago so it’s gonna be hard IMO.

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

The final bid on the one that was auctioned off on eBay years ago was $10,600. That’s somewhat of an indication of what this one could bring. But the OCC hype train left the building years ago so it’s gonna be hard IMO.

Kinda like doing a Beanie Baby custom today lol.

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

The final bid on the one that was auctioned off on eBay years ago was $10,600. That’s somewhat of an indication of what this one could bring.

If we had the opportunity to buy pins at the prices they were 15 years ago, many of us would be buying truckloads full, most pins have gone up substantially in value/price since then.

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

April 2007 issue of GameRoom magazine shows four of these being built simultaneously. There's one sitting in my basement.

I think we built six but it could have been four. Not sure where all the info in the for sale ad came from but it’s inaccurate.
The previous run of games was done by Treasurecove. The next year they reached out to me and asked if I would do it.
I was hesitant because I have done high end car projects for the rich and famous previously and knew it was a thankless grind for the flavor of the month club. I am absolutely not financially driven.
Despite that HEP was pretty new and could use the exposure.
I really disliked the art and the lack of completeness of the “conversion “. It came with a lot of extra baggage like interviews and general hype that I despise.
We were all set to ship the game to the OCC location but we’re asked to hand deliver it and bring a dolly so we could present the game on air or whatever.
We drove I believe 14 hours one way checked into a hotel near the shop in the middle of the night in the freezing cold.
Needless to say we were excited nervous etc.
The next morning we go down to have some breakfast and the contact at EDS pulls me aside and tells me that they will be presenting the game on air not us.
I didn’t say a word but was pissed! It wasn’t that I even gave a shit about any of that hype or drama it was that they tricked us into bringing the game up and away from our work,homes and family for absolutely nothing.
They then made us sit in some production meeting for hours waiting to unload the thing.
Listening to these people batting ideas around was painful.
After it was over we unloaded it and were leaving.
They were like”You aren’t going to stick around for the presentation?”
I said “No!”
They said “Can you leave the dolly?”
I said “Yes!” And just added it to the bill!!!
Anyway I could probably write a book about a lot of things but that’s just a small portion of the history of the game.

#37 2 years ago

I think we built six but it could have been four. Not sure where all the info in the for sale ad came from but it’s inaccurate.
The previous run of games was done by Treasurecove. The next year they reached out to me and asked if I would do it.
I was hesitant because I have done high end car projects for the rich and famous previously and knew it was a thankless grind for the flavor of the month club. I am absolutely not financially driven.
I really disliked the art and the lack of completeness of the “conversion “. It came with a lot of extra baggage like interviews and general hype that I despise.
We were all set to ship the game to the OCC location but we’re asked to hand deliver it and bring a dolly so we could present the game on air or whatever.
We drove I believe 14 hours one way checked into a hotel near the shop in the middle of the night in the freezing cold.
The next morning we go down to have some breakfast and the contact at EDS pulls me aside and tells me that they will be presenting the game on air not us.
I didn’t say a word but was pissed! It wasn’t that I even gave a shit about any of that hype or drama it was that they tricked us into bringing the game up and away from our work,homes and family for absolutely nothing.
They then made us sit in some production meeting for hours waiting to unload the thing.
I said “No!”
Anyway I could probably write a book about a lot of things but that’s just a small portion of the history of the game.

I don't have a horse in the race, but this would definitely devalue the game for me! That's some bull right there! Thanks for sharing Chris. Goes to show that things can be more than they appear.

#38 2 years ago

I said “No!”

Interesting story and crappy trickery for sure. I definitely remember when Allen (RIP) and Ray were doing those conversions. I don't even like NGG, but never like to see games get converted.

#39 2 years ago

This information is different from my interpretation of the conversation we had when I first bought this machine, I have updated the ad to reflect this new information as it is not my intention to mislead people. If there are any other details that are inaccurate please let me know.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from acitti:

If we had the opportunity to buy pins at the prices they were 15 years ago, many of us would be buying truckloads full, most pins have gone up substantially in value/price since then.

I agree they have gone up, but what you’re asking is REALLY up there.

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

I agree they have gone up, but what you’re asking is REALLY up there.

I am open to offers, with all these $10k++ Stern pro machines floating around these days, I don't know what to think anymore. The only documented time I have seen one of these sell was the one back in 2007. I am not firm on my price but I wanted it to get some attention. It's not like anyone has this machine on their "Wish List".

#42 2 years ago

Might be better off advertising on motorcycle or chopper forums/clubs. Most people here are just going to see a reskinned NGG for sale.

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from acitti:

I am open to offers, with all these $10k++ Stern pro machines floating around these days, I don't know what to think anymore. The only documented time I have seen one of these sell was the one back in 2007. I am not firm on my price but I wanted it to get some attention. It's not like anyone has this machine on their "Wish List".

FWIW, The FUN! Auction at TPF 2015 (where I got my first pin [BSD]) had an OCC go for $8600 before fees: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tpf-auction-comments-and-pictures#post-2345990

Of course irrelevant to the current market, but a more recent sale than 2007 for reference.

#44 2 years ago

$8600 at 2015 auction
$10k after fees
$12k after 6 years of normal inflation 3.5%
$15k after recent pinflation (25%, I think it's higher but we'll go with that)

We're getting closer...

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

FWIW, The FUN! Auction at TPF 2015 (where I got my first pin [BSD]) had an OCC go for $8600 before fees: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tpf-auction-comments-and-pictures#post-2345990
Of course irrelevant to the current market, but a more recent sale than 2007 for reference.

Nice, thanks for the info. I took a look at the other prices from that auction, I would buy 95% of those today at those prices.

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from Barr993:

$8600 at 2015 auction
$10k after fees
$12k after 6 years of normal inflation 3.5%
$15k after recent pinflation (25%, I think it's higher but we'll go with that)
We're getting closer...

That is a very fair assessment, I think my machine has a bit more value with the extras and given its history but I believe you would be spot on for the machine that was sold at the 2015 auction if it were sold again in todays market.

#47 2 years ago

The dopey son from OCC reminds me of JPOP

#48 2 years ago

This is a very interesting FS ad, bump.

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from Bruce_Pickle:

The dopey son from OCC reminds me of JPOP

False. Mikey actually brings something to the table (comedic entertainment)

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

False. Mikey actually brings something to the table (comedic entertainment)

Jpop brings foam core crafting to the table.

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-hep-ultimate-golf-ball-frenzy-occ?hl=flipper_mcgavin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.