New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 138192)

For sale: Fully Restored TAF (The Adams Family)

By DRDAVE

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 22 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
Screen_Shot_2015-09-08_at_5.34.55_PM.png
image.jpg
DSC01273.JPG
DSC01262.JPG
DSC01252.JPG
DSC01249.JPG
DSC01244.JPG
DSC01243.JPG
DSC01242.JPG
DSC01241.JPG
DSC01240.JPG
DSC01239.JPG
DSC01237.JPG
DSC01235.JPG
DSC01234.JPG

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

Price

$ 8,600

for sale

Fully Restored TAF (The Addams Family)

Added: September 8th, 2015 Ended: September 9th, 2015
Condition: Fully restored (full original status)

Item description

*NOW FOR SALE*
Just finished over a 100 hr restoration of this 1992 Addams Family pinball machine. It looks and plays like new and tweaked to perfection. Combination of incandescent lights and LED scoops and thing box LED mods. Upgraded stock speaker system to Flipper Fidelity speaker system. Outfitted with Titan Premium silicone rubber. New clear ramp. Bookcase decals. All flippers and pop bumpers rebuilt. All scoop weldments repaired and upgraded. Gold special edition roms installed. Modded out swamp and thing subway area to alleviate ball hangups that usually plague this title. Repaired and bullet proofed PC boards for years of reliable play. Video of it in action here:

Item photos

DSC01229.JPG
DSC01227.JPG
DSC01228.JPG
DSC01230.JPG
DSC01231.JPG
DSC01233.JPG
DSC01234.JPG
DSC01235.JPG
DSC01237.JPG
DSC01239.JPG
DSC01240.JPG
DSC01241.JPG
DSC01242.JPG
DSC01243.JPG
DSC01244.JPG
DSC01249.JPG
DSC01252.JPG
DSC01262.JPG
DSC01273.JPG

Photos not showing? Make sure your ad blocker plugin is not hiding them.

Listing result

The seller marked this ad as "not sold". The item did not sell through Pinside so there's no listing result.

Item location

Marlborough, MA, US

Seller insights

These are DRDAVE's all time market stats.

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

N/A

Go to DRDAVE's stats page

#3 5 years ago

play fields not perfect but nice shop job...

#4 5 years ago

*fully shopped

#5 5 years ago

Wow. Maybe learn to spell before you trash? "Ware" indeed....

Quoted from I8UB4:

Play field ware spot in front of the thing box.

#7 5 years ago

I've played over 200 location and 15 private collection TAF's over the years.
Had my turn on this one over this past weekend.
Best I've ever played or seen.

Buy with total confidence-

#8 5 years ago

looks good, the picture quality may not do it justice

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

His spelling aside, he's correct in sentiment. There also looks to be some wear in front of the right sling. A pin with a playfield in this condition is not "fully restored". You might want to use a dictionary before you start correcting people's spelling. Start with the word "restored".

This is misleading to a potential buyer. If you went to all the trouble of tweaking this, why didn't you repair the playfield? Or apply a new clear coat?

#11 5 years ago

Worn play field and no clear coat, try actually doing some restore before selling a game for thousands of dollars above the normal price. I wouldn't touch something that said fully restored and had a fucked up play field and no clear coat. What the fuck did you even do when the play field was out? Touch up paint?

#12 5 years ago

Well he did autograph it so that makes it mint right! Ha. Dr. Of what??

#13 5 years ago

SHOPPED, not restored.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from SSrig:

Well he did autograph it so that makes it mint right! Ha. Dr. Of what??

"Dr. Flipper", is more accurate.

His LE basement special comes with extra staple holes and graffiti splattered on the playfield.

#15 5 years ago

@Firebaall: It appears from your newbie hate filled troll rhetoric that you wouldn't know dialing a pinball machine in from dialing a phone. When people can't create, they turn to hate....

#16 5 years ago

I can tell you guys this, I have seen Dr Dave's work, he does top notch work, I do not know why this thread is getting so much hate, he is not asking 10K or more for this Addams, Average Addams are 6K these days, this is clearly better than an average Addams family.. so personally I think it is priced accordingly, and Dave stands behind his work.. He does not just do a spit shine on his games, he does the full job.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

@Firebaall: It appears from your newbie hate filled troll rhetoric that you wouldn't know dialing a pinball machine in from dialing a phone. When people can't create, they turn to hate....

My own suggestion (and nothing to do with my "moderator" hat) is to maybe just take a moment and address what people have brought up. Your reactions are just kind of taking pot-shots at the people and not what has been observed.

If there is wear on the playfield, just say that there is a small wear spot. If there are other issues, don't bash people who point them out.

Nobody is saying it is or is not priced fairly. People have different definitions of shopped or restored. And you never claimed it's flawless. But part of any successful sale is having an open dialogue with potential buyers.

#18 5 years ago

NJGecko: These are bashers with an agenda not buyers. Why? Maybe just jealous of what they are unable to accomplish. Who knows. Or like the Joker in the Batman movie a few years back: They "Just want to see it all burn".
I have ALL happy clients who have purchased my restored games over the past 20 years that I have sold to without the use of Pinside to do so. I stand by my reputation and by my games.

I've got suggestion for you as well: maybe don't have the marketplace add auto post a new thread unless the seller wants it posted as a thread?

Then maybe the haters can hate elsewhere or go back posting selfies of themselves on FB.

I stand behind my games and am proud of my work. So much so that I sign my name to it when it is done.

Thanks for listening.

Dave (Doc)

Quoted from NJGecko:

My own suggestion (and nothing to do with my "moderator" hat) is to maybe just take a moment and address what people have brought up. Your reactions are just kind of taking pot-shots at the people and not what has been observed.
If there is wear on the playfield, just say that there is a small wear spot. If there are other issues, don't bash people who point them out.
Nobody is saying it is or is not priced fairly. People have different definitions of shopped or restored. And you never claimed it's flawless. But part of any successful sale is having an open dialogue with potential buyers.

#19 5 years ago

Aint it great with the sub hooked up? Got to love the multiball sequence with that baby cranked up!

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Not hateful at all.

...not new at all either. Rebuilding a pin is not rocket science, so try not to crow too much on your spit and polish job. Just have enough decency to not misrepresent your sale.

There's absolutely nothing wrong in pointing out your deception, and playfield issues you conveniently forgot to mention. That way those that ARE new don't get ripped off.

Quoted from DRDAVE:

I've got suggestion for you as well: maybe don't have the marketplace add auto post a new thread unless the seller wants it posted as a thread?

I agree with that, since a forum posting is fair game to comment/criticize on. Then again, sellers on the marketplace should be kept in check to a certain degree and held to account.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

my restored games

Quoted from DRDAVE:

restoration of this 1992 Addams Family pinball machine.

image.jpg

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

NJGecko: These are bashers with an agenda not buyers. Why? Maybe just jealous of what they are unable to accomplish. Who knows. Or like the Joker in the Batman movie a few years back: They "Just want to see it all burn".

Nice dodge. Try addressing the issues, as NJGecko nicely suggested. Agenda's? Yeah, it's called keeping seller's honest. To imply that people are "just jealous of what they are unable to accomplish" is indicative of someone who isn't willing to be a bit more objective about what they are selling and how it is being described.

You consider this a full restoration? lol

#23 5 years ago

Folks just want honest, detailed description and specifics related to a game's condition. Let's not make this about ego.
Price corresponds to condition, and condition is hard to ascertain without seeing it. So please, just accurately describe the condition... what's good and what are the problems?
Not a big deal. If you can't do that, you should expect folks to get a little prickly.

#24 5 years ago

BTW, no matter how great someone is at "restoring" games, please refrain from signing the bottom of my playfield.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

I believe that when you post an ad in the marketplace there is a box that you can uncheck so that it doesn't create a FORUM entry. I do think it's defaulted to create a post so are you saying that you'd like it to default to NOT post a thread?

#26 5 years ago

If your game listing is honest and fair, then you shouldn't have a problem w it posting in the forum as well. I see lots of folks who praise our honest and fair sellers on here! But this is Pinside: a site for people who know and love pinball. Not much gets by folks here. If you're not going to disclose the pros and cons of your game for sale, try Craigslist.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Nice dodge. Try addressing the issues, as NJGecko nicely suggested. Agenda's? Yeah, it's called keeping seller's honest. To imply that people are "just jealous of what they are unable to accomplish" is indicative of someone who isn't willing to be a bit more objective about what they are selling and how it is being described.
You consider this a full restoration? lol

A few years ago I contacted DRDAVE about a machine and he was "taken back" by my questions regarding chipped inserts and some play field wear. Since he was charging "top dollar", I thought it was reasonable to fully understand the condition of the machine. When he realized I was "one of those high-end collectors", he very explicitly decided I wasn't the correct buyer for his pinball. Some "restorers/retailers" would prefer to deal with buyers that don't know what they are looking at.

Glad he showed his true color rather than waste my time.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from bkaelin:

BTW, no matter how great someone is at "restoring" games, please refrain from signing the bottom of my playfield.

....or stapling a biz card on the PF as well. Bad move and very unprofessional IMO.
And not to pile on but 'Restorations that look and play like new'.....although this looks good, this is not what I would consider a 'restoration' and most certainly does not 'look like new'.

#29 5 years ago

This is and always will be my favorite pin of all time

games even when they left the factory had some minor flaws EVEN today we see threads about code / decal issues / boards not working correctly so if you don't like what you see look away

I have owned 3 TAFs and no doubt another will come in time and this is definitely a super nice example and would be a proud addition to a collection

Amazing Work !!

Good Luck and congrats to the soon to be buyer of this gem

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

***Amazing Work**** !!

Amazing work, especially on a reimport, would normally include vacuuming out the cabinet.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Quoted from DRDAVE:

You misspelled 'ad.' Also, there are numerous grammatical issues with many of your posts such as incorrect usage of quotation marks with punctuation and preposition errors. I won't list them all, but pinside offers the ability to edit posts if you choose.

Also, you misspelled the title of your own game.

Good luck with your sale.

#33 5 years ago

A Cliffy on the electric chair scoop. Why not the others? Does the wear under that scoop not live up to your highly boasted "tweaked to perfection" and "like new" claims? Cabinet isn't sanded on the inside, back hasn't been repainted, mansion wear, etc. Basically it's a really nice shop job, definitely not a restoration that commands that type of price. Why no pictures of the bulletproofed boards? I'm not trying to rag on you but it really bothers me when people try to upsell this kind of stuff and lie about condition. Change the wording and reduce the price and you'll have a nice player's game that will sell with no trouble at all.

#34 5 years ago

Is it just me or are those pictures not very crisp and don't show detail very well? Looks like an older camera used that doesn't have good resolution. I like the knocker on the bottom of the cab too. Didn't know TAF had one of those there, thought it was always in the back box.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from dkazz1:

I like the knocker on the bottom of the cab too. Didn't know TAF had one of those there, thought it was always in the back box.

That's where the knocker should be in TAF.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Not sure where you're getting this idea. This option is not checked by default. And I'm pretty sure insulting the moderators is against the rules too. Seriously if you're not open to criticism, don't make a thread!

image.jpg

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

That's where the knocker should be in TAF.

Thanks Bryan, didn't know that. Never been "inside the hood" of TAF

#38 5 years ago

I don't think anyone is trying to be jerks. It's just that you priced it at a premium so it is going to be scrutinized a lot. It's a very nice game but with the small amount of wear and the way the inside of the cab looks I wouldn't consider it restored. It's a very nicely shopped TAF with some mods.

Just as a good example I sold one earlier this year in the same price range. It was fully restored though and nearly flawless in every way.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-for-tradefor-sale-addams-family-the-bally-1992

#39 5 years ago

That's a great example of a restored game, thanks for posting.

#40 5 years ago

Who are you and what game are you talking about? RGP is looking better and better.....

I put out a TON of pictures and video. You guys have NOTHING better to do than criticize???? I'll put my Addams up against ANYONE'S for game play let alone beauty.

Quoted from snaroff:

A few years ago I contacted DRDAVE about a machine and he was "taken back" by my questions regarding chipped inserts and some play field wear. Since he was charging "top dollar", I thought it was reasonable to fully understand the condition of the machine. When he realized I was "one of those high-end collectors", he very explicitly decided I wasn't the correct buyer for his pinball. Some "restorers/retailers" would prefer to deal with buyers that don't know what they are looking at.
Glad he showed his true color rather than waste my time.

#41 5 years ago

What would you call it a "SHOP" job? I've seen what others put out there as "FULLY SHOPPED". That's a wide open descriptor open to a wide interpretation. No I didn't repaint the cab. It's an all original game that I spent hours tweaking and adding sweat equity to.

I see Addams family's on here at 6K that are not even close to mine, and they all jump in and say GREAT PRICE, WISH I WAS CLOSER... blah blah blah..

Place has become RGP 2.. only worse.. actually RGP is better than it used to be.

I mean, I posted the pictures, I showed the game.. and you bashers come in saying I'm trying to hide something.. how can I hide something WHEN I POST PICTURES OF IT?? <shakes head>

Quoted from mikerob34:

....or stapling a biz card on the PF as well. Bad move and very unprofessional IMO.
And not to pile on but 'Restorations that look and play like new'.....although this looks good, this is not what I would consider a 'restoration' and most certainly does not 'look like new'.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

What would you call it a "SHOP" job? I've seen what others put out there as "FULLY SHOPPED". That's a wide open descriptor open to a wide interpretation. No I didn't repaint the cab. It's an all original game that I spent hours tweaking and adding sweat equity to.
I see Addams Family's on here at 6K that are not even close to mine, and they all jump in and say GREAT PRICE, WISH I WAS CLOSER... blah blah blah..
Place has become RGP 2.. only worse.. actually RGP is better than it used to be.
I mean, I posted the pictures, I showed the game.. and you bashers come in saying I'm trying to hide something.. how can I hide something WHEN I POST PICTURES OF IT?? <shakes head>

Sweat equity doesn't mean much if you can't tell by the pictures.

#43 5 years ago

Thanks for the kudos! If you're ever in my neck of the woods, I'll buy the beer and give you the tour of my gameroom.
Mostly Bally and Sterns from 1970's and 80s. But have a few "modern": BK2K, Dr. Who, Funhouse and of course the Addams if it is still here by then. =)

Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

This is and always will be my favorite pin of all time
games even when they left the factory had some minor flaws EVEN today we see threads about code / decal issues / boards not working correctly so if you don't like what you see look away
I have owned 3 TAFs and no doubt another will come in time and this is definitely a super nice example and would be a proud addition to a collection
Amazing Work !!
Good Luck and congrats to the soon to be buyer of this gem

#44 5 years ago

It is vacuumed out. I'm sorry you can't see well enough not to notice that. No it is not sanded out. If you want Chris from High End Pins level, pony up another 3K or so.

Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

Amazing work, especially on a reimport, would normally include vacuuming out the cabinet.

#45 5 years ago

Wow. Forget pinball, you should be an English teacher. Good luck with that and thanks for your helpful advice...

Quoted from Mudflaps:

You misspelled 'ad.' Also, there are numerous grammatical issues with many of your posts such as incorrect usage of quotation marks with punctuation and preposition errors. I won't list them all, but pinside offers the ability to edit posts if you choose.
Also, you misspelled the title of your own game.
Good luck with your sale.

#46 5 years ago

The knocker is a THING knocker that was unique to this game. I'm just amazed by the arrogance on display commenting and criticizing someone's work not even knowing the game features.

Quoted from dkazz1:

Is it just me or are those pictures not very crisp and don't show detail very well? Looks like an older camera used that doesn't have good resolution. I like the knocker on the bottom of the cab too. Didn't know TAF had one of those there, thought it was always in the back box.

#47 5 years ago

Guys, guys. Since when did pricing a pinball machine 'wrong' merit such a vitriolic response? Could Dave's game be priced high? Sure! Is that something that merits personal attacks? Hell no. Especially dropping f-bombs to someone you've never met before. Be constructive, and helpful. That's what this forum is about. If the game doesn't sell, Dave will probably adjust his price. Dave's work is good, even if you don't agree with the restoration choices he made (I've seen some of the games he's done in person). As someone who did an amateur restoration, there's all sorts of degrees of restoration, and whether you touch up a playfield or clearcoat it is a style choice. I'm not defending the pin's price, i'm sure the market will end up making a ruling there. I'm just saying its pretty lame to insult someone like that.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

What would you call it a "SHOP" job?

A full topside tear down. All new rubbers, bulbs, rebuilt flippers, all needed switches adjusted, ramps thoroughly cleaned or replaced, new plastics set if needed, playfield cleaned and waxed, all boards inspected and serviced if needed, inside of the cabinet thoroughly cleaned and repaint if needed, all metal items from the topside tumbled and polished, all backside of the playfield mechs tested and cleaned if needed. Depending on the game and condition it likely will take 20-80 hrs of work.

That's what I would consider a full shop job and others might even add small outer cabinet touch ups as needed. There's lots of different opinions on what should be included but that's what I consider a really good shop job.

#49 5 years ago

Request more detailed pics then. I used a 20 meg camera for those shots.

Quoted from lordloss:

Sweat equity doesn't mean much if you can't tell by the pictures.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Guys, guys. Since when did pricing a pinball machine 'wrong' merit such a vitriolic response? Could Dave's game be priced high? Sure! Is that something that merits personal attacks? Hell no. Especially dropping f-bombs to someone you've never met before. Be constructive, and helpful. That's what this forum is about. If the game doesn't sell, Dave will probably adjust his price. Dave's work is good, even if you don't agree with the restoration choices he made. As someone who did an amateur restoration, there's all sorts of degrees of restoration, and whether you touch up a playfield or clearcoat it is a style choice. I'm not defending the pin's price, i'm sure the market will end up making a ruling there. I'm just saying its pretty lame to insult someone like that.

Things went south when the Dr started replying. Up until then, the comments were civil IMO. Let's not rewrite history.

The "dr." seems a bit unstable. That, is my professional diagnosis.

Sincerely,
-Dr. B.S

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside