(Topic ID: 111941)

For Sale: Freak Out (Custom One of a Kind Retheme)

By DiscoDungeon

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Picture2-12.jpg
Picture4-2.jpg
Picture3-6.jpg
Picture1-17.jpg
Picture5.jpg
th-1-532.jpeg
20141204_150048.jpg
20141204_150043.jpg
20141204_150033.jpg
20141204_145948.jpg
#1 9 years ago

On behalf of the Replay Foundation and PAPA I have been authorized to offer this custom machine for sale. This game is a full custom retheme based on a Doozie machine with artwork by Mike Budai. This game is working 100% and has been used in recent Pinburgh tournaments. Also this game has been featured at the Andy Warhol museum.

This is a one-of-a-kind beautiful working piece of art, and as such it is not easy to determine a value for it. I welcome feedback on what this machine is worth, and I welcome buyers to contact me via pm if you are interested in seeing the machine in person.

Thanks,
Jon

20141204_145948.jpg20141204_145948.jpg
20141204_150033.jpg20141204_150033.jpg
20141204_150043.jpg20141204_150043.jpg
20141204_150048.jpg20141204_150048.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Sweet.

#3 9 years ago

Aw hell....epic WANT.

Would've been nice if they had left more indicators of the function of the rules on the playfield though.. Doozie ain't that bad of a game.

#4 9 years ago

I can't afford what that should be worth.

#5 9 years ago

This pin gets me in the mood to relax to this song:

Let me try again:

#7 9 years ago

Cool! A Frank Zappa themed pinball machine.

th-1-532.jpegth-1-532.jpeg

#8 9 years ago

Odin, that's what I was hoping!!!

#9 9 years ago

Don't know what its worth is, but its wayyy coooool.

#10 9 years ago

I've played and admired this game at PAPA. Even the coin entry labels rule!

#11 9 years ago

This is such a cool looking and fun machine redone by Budai.

I don't think that they are asking 75K for it either

Shoot them an offer.

#12 9 years ago

Holy acid trip batman that looks neato

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from LEE:

I don't think that they are asking 75K for it either

No, but I expect that they will get more than the 1500 I'd personally want to put into it. Getting very close to 4k range, I'd be waiting on Woah Nellie personally.

If they don't get any decent offers, there's always the option to raffle it off ala Project Pinball too...which would be amazeballs.

#14 9 years ago

Curious if the OP knows if the PF is clearcoated or not. See a few quirks in some places that could either be wear or accountable by virtue of it being hand painted. If it's under clear, sweet, it's just the character of the artwork.

The only Doozie I've played was cleared as well, so that might affect my opinion of the underlying game too lol.

#15 9 years ago

I also played this game...it is very cool....if you don't mind a pink game in your line up!!!

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Curious if the OP knows if the PF is clearcoated or not.

I do believe that this game has indeed been clearcoated w automotive clear by a reputable PF restorer. Do not know of what you mean by wear as the last time I saw it, it was still practically perfect.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from LEE:

I do believe that this game has indeed been clearcoated w automotive clear by a reputable PF restorer. Do not know of what you mean by wear as the last time I saw it, it was still practically perfect.

Breaks in some of the keylines, can see what looks like the same in the underside of the mushroom...I'm REALLY nitpicking it. Again, if it's under clear...who cares. That's the nature of handpainted art. Looks cleared from the light reflections.

#18 9 years ago

I really love this. Very curious to see how much it sells for if that information goes public.

The only custom painted pin that I'd be seriously tempted to buy if it came up is the Silver Bullet one, but this is close.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

the Silver Bullet one

Got any links to that, Aurich? Would love to see.

Also, I've never played this Far-Out re-theme, but admired pictures of it many times. What a gorgeous machine. I hope I don't offend the OP, but the photos posted with the machine turned-off in a fluorescent lit environment don't do it justice. I yanked these from the Andy Warhol exhibit it was featured in a while back:

Picture1-17.jpgPicture1-17.jpg

Picture2-12.jpgPicture2-12.jpg

Picture3-6.jpgPicture3-6.jpg

Picture4-2.jpgPicture4-2.jpg

Picture5.jpgPicture5.jpg

...with higher-resolution versions here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/joeykennedyphotography/3754398490/in/set-72157621817148098/

Good luck with the sale!
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I really love this. Very curious to see how much it sells for if that information goes public.
The only custom painted pin that I'd be seriously tempted to buy if it came up is the Silver Bullet one, but this is close.

Silver Bullet is in a private collection and is a re-themed Mata Hari. It's awesome but I doubt it will be on the selling block any time soon, if ever.

I've seen and played this Freak Out machine. It's beautiful, one-of-a-kind, and plays great (assuming you like 60's EMs).

#21 9 years ago

Thank you for posting the better photos. They are a much better representation.

To answer a few questions that I have received:
1) The playfield is clearcoated and is in good condition- I don't know the exact process that was used for either the painting or the clearcoating. I will be happy to find that information out if there is a need for it.
2) Out of respect for the artist, PAPA, and any potential buyer I will probably not post a final price of what this sells for.
3) The game sitting next to Freak Out is Nitro Groundshaker- not for sale
4) We are serious about selling this game- this is not just a fluff post.

#22 9 years ago

Weren't these being sold originally for 10s of thousands? I forget the price I saw but, it was up there.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

Weren't these being sold originally for 10s of thousands? I forget the price I saw but, it was up there.

that was something else. those one-off wedgeheads.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from DiscoDungeon:

Thank you for posting the better photos. They are a much better representation.

No problem. Best of luck finding a buyer. I'd love to get a chance to play this one day.

I do have a quick question, Joe. I guess I'm a little fuzzy on your relationship to the machine. You're not the artist. ...and is it currently PAPA owned? Would love a little more information.

Thanks,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
http://www.ElephantEater.com

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Got any links to that, Aurich? Would love to see.

Here's the Silver Bullet machine: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silver-bullet-new-custom-conversion-game

And no, I don't expect it to come up for sale or anything, it's just the best of the "repainted" games out there IMHO. This Freak Out though is really nice, if I had a the space to display this kind of thing I'd be tempted.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

No problem. Best of luck finding a buyer. I'd love to get a chance to play this one day.
I do have a quick question, Joe. I guess I'm a little fuzzy on your relationship to the machine. You're not the artist. ...and is it currently PAPA owned? Would love a little more information.
Thanks,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
http://www.ElephantEater.com

I'm Joe and I have no "relationship" to the machine or PAPA. I'm just saying I've played it many times and it looks and plays great.

The OP posted on behalf of PAPA/Replay Foundation per the first sentence of his original post.

1 week later
#27 9 years ago

To renew the conversation on this item, I will share the price point idea I was thinking of. $5500. Perhaps this is is more than some may think it is worth, but also perhaps some people were thinking we were looking for 20k for this as well. I welcome feedback. Thanks!

#28 9 years ago

If I had the space and extra cash, this would be mine. I'm not sure what we're shorter on at the moment though... :/

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from Quiddity:

If I had the space and extra cash, this would be mine. I'm not sure what we're shorter on at the moment though... :/

Cash.

1 week later
#30 9 years ago

Bump. Any interest? Thanks!

1 month later
#31 9 years ago

This game will be on display at PAPA during the World Championships. We have reduced the price to $3500 for this. Please contact Doug or myself during PAPA if you are interested.

Thanks,
Jon

#32 9 years ago

As a work of art, this would probably do better being sold in a gallery versus trying to sell it as a functional pinball machine, since pins are generally not sold for high values and this one might not be appreciated as much by pinball collectors.

Honestly I figured this would be in the $10K range but I guess Budai isn't as collectable as he used to be? I haven't seen much gigposter work from him recently.

#33 9 years ago

If this was a solid state game it would've sold at 5500...can almost guarantee that. =P

#34 9 years ago

And also this game is the reason I'm working on EM-to-SS conversion kits. Seriously! Custom one-off re-themes by famous artists, with reliable electronic innards.

#35 9 years ago

Groovy art package glws

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Here's the Silver Bullet machine: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silver-bullet-new-custom-conversion-game
And no, I don't expect it to come up for sale or anything, it's just the best of the "repainted" games out there IMHO. This Freak Out though is really nice, if I had a the space to display this kind of thing I'd be tempted.

I thought the artist made 2 of these. One is in california and another at a coffee shop in pittsburg. You can buy the backglass at the artists store, www.bholderman.com.

5 years later
#38 3 years ago

Just saw this is for sale again at Replay. Now the price is 10 grand!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington, PA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-freak-out-custom-one-of-a-kind-retheme and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.