D563DFB9-DEE9-4BE0-8B55-60D643CED1C6 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
6023FC5B-EB2B-431A-AAE4-335297148034 (resized).png
Restored Fishtales.png
Restored Fishtales...png
Restored Fishtales..png
ef24dedefe9e3807da7d577ab27d85a09511ec63 (resized).jpg
6a41497825f02e1fc4883765dd216b82696678fa.gif.gif

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

There are 154 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I used to be on the other side of the fence and then I started to really appreciate the amount of work that goes into a restoration job. I was fortunate to find a fully restored Fishtales and it is now a centerpiece in my collection. To me it is like a work of art and worth every penny.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Is that the one Brady (Soulrider911) restored? He did a great job...

#53 3 years ago

Rusty bulb sockets to match the rusty transformer, etc.

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Rusty bulb sockets to match the rusty transformer, etc.

Yep, nice catch.

#55 3 years ago
6023FC5B-EB2B-431A-AAE4-335297148034 (resized).png6023FC5B-EB2B-431A-AAE4-335297148034 (resized).png
#56 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I used to be on the other side of the fence and then I started to really appreciate the amount of work that goes into a restoration job. I was fortunate to find a fully restored Fishtales and it is now a centerpiece in my collection. To me it is like a work of art and worth every penny.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yours is a much nicer restoration IMO. It’s not even close.

#57 3 years ago

Wow this thing looks like lipstick on a pig. Rusty coil soldering pads and all.
$9k for FT sounds like some STONK action.

#58 3 years ago

I like the orange captive ball! I'm gonna have to see if I can find a red one for mine, maybe a bobber look. Never thought of changing that out, and the glow rubbers on those boat posts look pretty cool too. Some nice ideas, but the key start seems like it doesn't "go" with the theme to me.

#59 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I like the orange captive ball!

Mezel Mods sells the glow balls. The glowing post rubbers are nifthy.

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Mezel Mods sells the glow balls. The glowing post rubbers are nifthy.

Thanks, just found the balls. They have "radical red" and I have some leftover glow post rubbers from my afm

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Yours is a much nicer restoration IMO. It’s not even close

Mine is a FULL restore that a fellow pinsider put his blood, sweat and tears into-a true masterpiece.

I usually do not like to talk about pricing in a fs thread but here is my opinion. The OP's game is probably a re-import with the rusty socket's etc. There still was a decent amount of work performed and it might make a good project for someone who wanted to take it to the next level. The replacement playfields are affordable and available and sockets and other parts can be polished or replaced. It is not a 100% restore and I do not believe the op stated it was, looks like he is mainly using it as trade bait or obo to me-no biggie. I have a folder with valuations of my machines in case anything ever happens to me for my wife to comprehend valuations. In this book I have $11,000 as the value of my Fishtales, people may think that is crazy but compared to what other games sell for(20k GNR, 20k POTC?) and the amount of work put into it-that is what it is worth to me today(not going anywhere). One thing I will also say is how great a true restored game plays. It is so dialed in and tight-it plays like it was just taken out of the box. Not only does it look good but most important is the gameplay is amazing.

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

In this book I have $11,000 as the value of my Fishtales, people may think that is crazy but compared to what other games sell for(20k GNR, 20k POTC?) and the amount of work put into it-that is what it is worth to me today(not going anywhere). One thing I will also say is how great a true restored game plays. It is so dialed in and tight-it plays like it was just taken out of the box. Not only does it look good but most important is the gameplay is amazing.

Considering how many games you have, I'm kind of surprised you think the "amount of work put into it" effects a games appraised value. Not my experience. I had a gorgeous, restored Fishtales that I sold for 4k back in 2015. The market has certainly increased, but there is no way that game would sell for 7-8k today. I'm sure your game is gorgeous, but very skeptical that it would fetch 11k.

7EA65155-C349-4435-B9F9-8A35D19CF80F (resized).jpeg7EA65155-C349-4435-B9F9-8A35D19CF80F (resized).jpegD563DFB9-DEE9-4BE0-8B55-60D643CED1C6 (resized).jpegD563DFB9-DEE9-4BE0-8B55-60D643CED1C6 (resized).jpegD6EF31BB-9A51-4E60-AD30-C8519D307D65 (resized).jpegD6EF31BB-9A51-4E60-AD30-C8519D307D65 (resized).jpeg
#63 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

"amount of work put into it" effects a games appraised value.

Yes the amount of work directly correlates valuation. Years ago I did not get the people willing to spend money on HEP games, I kinda scratched my head? Now I totally get it. These classic Bally/Williams games are getting harder and harder to find in good condition, most are routed turds. When you play a restored dialed in classic it takes the gameplay to a whole other level. Honestly it spoils you and playing routed turds-starts to turn you off. Some people see the light and some don't-and that is ok.

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Yes the amount of work directly correlates valuation. Years ago I did not get the people willing to spend money on HEP games, I kinda scratched my head? Now I totally get it. These classic Bally/Williams games are getting harder and harder to find in good condition, most are routed turds. When you play a restored dialed in classic it takes the gameplay to a whole other level. Honestly it spoils you and playing routed turds-starts to turn you off. Some people see the light and some don't-and that is ok.

I've played (and owned) a fair share of high-end, restored games that played like shit. Fortunately, with work, fixing the less-than-great gameplay was possible.

There is absolutely no guarantee aesthetic beauty equates with great gameplay. I have a "survivor" STTNG that plays just awesome...would put it up against ANY restored STTNG.

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Yes the amount of work directly correlates valuation. .

Only for the person doing or paying for the amount of work.

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I had a gorgeous, restored Fishtales that I sold for 4k back in 2015.

Man I bet you are kicking yourself now-that is a 10K game you have in that picture-pinflation is real

#67 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I'll take the middle road. A nice example that just needs a little cleaning, maybe even change rubbers and adjustments. They can still be found for decent prices. I don't need the bling to make it sing.

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Man I bet you are kicking yourself now-that is a 10K game you have in that picture-pinflation is real

Not at all, since pinball is a hobby for me, not a way to make money. I make much more money in both the stock market and real estate. In 1998, I built a pool/cabana for my kids...total cost $100,000. If I would have kept that money in Apple Stock, I'd be 15 million dollars richer. No joke. Do I regret the decision to build my kids a pool/cabana? No way...it's called LIVING!

#69 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Not at all, since pinball is a hobby for me, not a way to make money

Just making a true comparison-comparing selling something in 2015 is irrelevant in today's market. Honestly it would be hard to find a routed Fish Tales turd for less than 4k these days-apples and oranges. People also make more disposable income from 2015 to 2021?

Also I love your background where you live-looks really nice. We want to do the Rose Day parade one day(bucket list)-and I may need to look you up when we visit.

#70 3 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

take the middle road. A nice example that just needs a little cleaning, maybe even change rubbers and adjustments. They can still be found for decent prices. I don't need the bling to make it sing.

I agree. Now what I look for in a game is collectability. Collectability to me is a basic criteria. 1. Low play wear. 2. Nice original pf and cabinet with no or little fade in the artwork. 3. Original board set. 4. No damage from the elements. I just found a WH20 and FT that were just that. They are very nice examples and I feel very lucky to have them in my collection. Now for bling: color DMD, pinblades, LEDs, sound upgrade, sometimes armor and topper.

#71 3 years ago

I have bought from Dave and he is a great guy! He did innovative things to the game that others have not done. The button on shooter is made to look like a real reel. It does have radcals and not next gen on it thus the gaps to the corner. Less it appears a partial restore but in great playable condition. It sold quickly! For top dollar. If the new crap that is being produced is selling for $10-12k these well done original WB games have a market. There are only so many good ones. It is amazing when we all buy we get mad if priced high but some of our games we won’t sell unless we get silly numbers. Maybe the seller feels the same way. GB premium listed for $11,500 and kiss le for $14,500 this looks like a deal to some. I like original but many like the powder coated Armour. Dave innovative ideas and well done. Can’t wait to look at the next one he does. Maybe a white water or another fish tales. Laugh is on everyone as someone liked enough to pay $9,000. I am not a restore, mod or topper guy. I do have all of the above on a few but I prefer HUO original across the board.

#72 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Just making a true comparison-comparing selling something in 2015 is irrelevant in today's market. Honestly it would be hard to find a routed Fish Tales turd for less than 4k these days-apples and oranges. People also make more disposable income from 2015 to 2021?
Also I love your background where you live-looks really nice. We want to do the Rose Day parade one day(bucket list)-and I may need to look you up when we visit.

What's funny is when I sold my FT for 4k, I got flack for asking too much! IIRC, I still made a small profit on the sale. I rarely sell games at a loss. In fact, the biggest pinball loss I've ever taken was on a HEP AFM (because of the remake). Sold for 10k, had 13k in it.

Actually, that photo was taken in a Florida home that I no longer own. My place in Pasadena is actually right on the Tournament of Roses parade path! If I still own it when the parade comes back, happy to host you. Here is a photo of the parade going past my place...

IMG_5615 (resized).jpegIMG_5615 (resized).jpeg
#73 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I've ever taken was on a HEP AFM (because of the remake). Sold for 10k, had 13k in it.

Funny because now some people are ditching their remakes to find HEP originals(probably could sell for $14k now)-lol

One thing about the pinball market is you can wait a week-month-year and things change considerably.

#74 3 years ago

Wow looks like sale pending only after one day listing-drops the mic

Mic drop.gifMic drop.gif
#75 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Not really.....at the end of the day its still a Fish Tales...most people who restore these do it for themselves, and as a hobby. Restoring games and expecting to make $ and a return on your labor rarely happens.

#76 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

do it for themselves, and as a hobby

Yes I agree, and most do not log their hours spent-it is a labor of love. If the pinsider who restored my Fishtales logged his hours it would probably be over $15,000 worth of labor-not even joking.

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I've played (and owned) a fair share of high-end, restored games that played like shit. Fortunately, with work, fixing the less-than-great gameplay was possible.
There is absolutely no guarantee aesthetic beauty equates with great gameplay. I have a "survivor" STTNG that plays just awesome...would put it up against ANY restored STTNG.

amen!

#78 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Wow looks like sale pending only after one day listing-drops the mic

If this really is pending anywhere near the asking price then I might be posting my legit HUO Fish Tales soon that I never thought I would part with.

#79 3 years ago

Congrats to the OP if it's really pending. The market is so crazy now I guess the sky is the limit.

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

HUO Fish Tales soon that I never thought I would part with.

Do it.jpgDo it.jpg
#81 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Yes I agree, and most do not log their hours spent-it is a labor of love. If the pinsider who restored my Fishtales logged his hours it would probably be over $15,000 worth of labor-not even joking.

A HEP restored FT sold in the high 7's less than a year ago (I almost bought it).....I guess you can put whatever value u want on the game, but its not worth close to $11K

#82 3 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

HUO Fish Tales soon that I never thought I would part with.

I was offered $8500 for my HUO STTNG, so don't leave money on the table...a true HUO FT may fetch $7K+? Routed turds are selling for $5k

#83 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

A HEP restored FT sold in the high 7's less than a year ago

Dude seriously put down the crack pipe-do you really want to know how fast a $7K HEP Fish Tales would sell for in today's market-seconds

#84 3 years ago

FT to the moon!!!

#85 3 years ago

Sorry, calling this a high end restore is deceptive. One shaky photo showing rust and grime is enough to determine that.

#86 3 years ago

Classic Pinside. Dorks arguing that they know the price better than the OP. Meanwhile, game sells.
Good for OP!

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg
#87 3 years ago

yea maybe...I thought it was over priced at that price...at the end of the day its still a FT....fun game, but its not a Williams IJ

#88 3 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Dorks arguing that they know the price better than the OP. Meanwhile, game sells.

Seller can claim sold for any amount. Doesn’t mean it happened. They likely took a reasonable offer if it sold at all.

#89 3 years ago

I have no problem spending 9k on a beautiful pin, but it isn't going to be a FISH TALES FFS.

#90 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

but its not a Williams IJ

Meh-I would take Fish Tales over IJ any day of the week(I actually think IJ is overpriced)

In fact I would take my Stern IJ4 over the Williams version(here come the down votes-lol)

I am a huge IJ fan and Williams IJ only lasted a few months in my collection and I do not miss it or want it back.

#91 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Meh-I would take Fish Tales over IJ any day of the week
In fact I would take my Stern IJ4 over the Williams version(here come the down votes-lol)
I am a huge IJ fan and Williams IJ only lasted a few months in my collection and I do not miss it or want it back.

Now we know whose actually smoking crack...

#92 3 years ago
bc4567a2119b5cf7f6d0728ba54da13e.gifbc4567a2119b5cf7f6d0728ba54da13e.gif
#93 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

yea maybe...I thought it was over priced at that price...at the end of the day its still a FT....fun game, but its not a Williams IJ

That you just happen to own - LOL!

#94 3 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Seller can claim sold for any amount. Doesn’t mean it happened. They likely took a reasonable offer if it sold at all.

Doubling down eh?
I like your confidence!

#95 3 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

That you just happen to own - LOL!

True, but my point is a Williams IJ historically sells for high dollar, and is typically loved by most (for good reason). I have a lot of nice games and its at the top of my play list.

#96 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

True, but my point is a Williams IJ historically sells for high dollar, and is typically loved by most (for good reason). I have a lot of nice games and its at the top of my play list.

I took your post to mean IJ is funner than FT which is subjective, not a fact.

#97 3 years ago

This is the funniest thread I've read on here in a LONG time. ...genuinely LOL over here. And, yes, I have the nicest HUO FT you can imagine (like just out of the box condition), but that's BESIDE the point! haha...

#98 3 years ago

...anyone can have it for $25K Fish Tales to the MOON! haha...

#99 3 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

You aren’t going to take a reasonable offer the first day you listed it.

#100 3 years ago

May the tallest coin stack win.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 169.00
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

There are 154 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-fish-tales-111/page/2?hl=jenniebear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.