IMG_0214 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0209 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0211 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0210 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0179 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0205 (resized).jpg
IMG_0175 (resized).jpg
IMG_0259 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

#1 5 years ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

Game - for sale

For sale: Fathom

Added: 2019-04-09 22:00:00 UTC • Re-listed: 1 time (August 31st, 2019) • Ended: September 15th, 2019
Condition: Fully restored (full original status)

Price

$ 6,900 (OBO)

Open for offers

Gorgeous/rare example with the following notable features:

- CPR repro PF with bright colors & thick/tough clear coat.

- CPR repro plastic set, LED's, Titans, new drops (with extras IIRC)

- CPR Mirrored back glass (flawless)

- Restored cabinet - colors and stencil are faithful to the original.

- Altek "Ultimate" board set (MPU, Solenoid, Lamp/LED).

- Original "Squawk and Talk" board works great.

- New rectifier board.

- Chrome legs, rails, lockdown, coin door.

- Blue Pinscore Displays.

- Game has been dialed in and plays great.

Here is a GoPro video of the game in action.

I've owned this beauty for 6 years. Never get tired looking at it, but it needs a loving home where it will get more play. Game is located in Pasadena.

Only interested in local sales - not interested in shipping a game this rare.

Item photos

IMG_0226 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0224 (resized).jpg
IMG_0214 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0253 (resized).jpg
IMG_0254 (resized).jpg
IMG_0228 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0263 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0259 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0243 (resized).jpg
IMG_0175 (resized).jpg
IMG_0179 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0209 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0205 (resized).jpg
IMG_0211 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0210 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2520 (resized).jpeg

Photos not showing? Make sure your ad blocker plugin is not hiding them.

Contact

Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!

Seller insights

These are snaroff's market stats.

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

100.0%

Go to snaroff's stats page

Listing result

The seller ended this ad and submitted the final sales price into our price database but opted not to disclose the price publicly.

Seller contributed to Pinside for this listing!

Item location

Jupiter, FL, US

Related shop items!

Interested in this game? Also check out these related Pinside Shops items!

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

£ 195.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from rollitover:

$7900?
Not arguing the price by any means,
as this is a beauty,
just wondering outloud how long before we see a
10k Fathom.

I'd gladly pay 10k for PinballMike's Fathom today (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pmd-–-fathom-restoration-let-the-spending-begin/page/11#post-2942570). Doubt he is selling it, though...

Not sure the wildly custom cabinet if for "everyone", but I love the custom artwork/detail...

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I had some time with this beauty, thanks Steve! Really gorgeous game, and a lot of fun. This era still one of my all time favs, and you just can't find them this nice very often.

Have to admit, I loved surprising you with it @ Kyles place Glad you had fun with it!

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

Why is there a big chrome latch thing on the back of the back box? Seems kind of beat up back there too

I guess the previous owner installed a big chrome latch to avoid using the 2 long bolts to secure the head? I still use the 2 bolts...don't trust the latch to do the job. The latch has been useful to secure the head when folding/moving it (i.e. before you get a chance to install the 2 long bolts).

The back is hardly "beat up", but it's not pristine/shiny like a new cabinet. I think my description is accurate...this is a restored cabinet. *Not* a new cabinet. I have a Centaur restoration that has a new "Big Time" cabinet reproduction (i.e. it is new reproduction, not a restored original). In addition, the inside of this cabinet is really clean, but clearly not "new".

Here is a photo of the back...unfortunately, the exposure isn't great. Wanted the sun to shine on the front of the pin (for obvious reasons).

IMG_0242 (resized).jpegIMG_0242 (resized).jpeg
#22 5 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

Well if you zoom in on picture #3 that shows the back you can clearly see the damage that was not repaired in your so called restoration. Just saying.
Why make the sides and the front look great and then do nothing in repairing the back. I guess no one looks there. But for $7900 I would think all sides would look good

Based on your comment, I would guess you don't have much experience with high-end restorations. I do (from HEP, Keller, PMD).

From my perspective, the back of this game looks pretty darn clean. The inside of the cabinet is also pretty clean (but not "perfect"). Finishing the back/inside of a cabinet is at the discretion of the restorer. Time is money and when someone is restoring a machine for some small profit, they usually opt for what you see in this example. When hobbyists/restorers are doing the work for themselves, they usually go the extra mile (or simply start with a brand new cabinet). If this example had a brand new cabinet, it would be more $$. I think the restorer (and I) made sensible tradeoffs on where to spend the money on this game. For example, the Altek boards cost $500 and they were worth every penny. Game plays strong and is rock solid. The original 80's boards are much more finicky.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Before the hand jobs start Lemmy just state the obvious in that your price is REALLY FUCKIN HIGH
However, you do indeed, get what you pay for.
This will go to the right person I'm sure.

This comment seems to contradict itself. The overall vibe I'm getting is the price is fair considering the condition.

My "back of the envelope" for top-rated games is high-end restorations are ~2x the price of an average example. Back when I commissioned my HEP AFM, an average example was ~6k and my HEP cost ~12k. Fathoms don't come up for sale much, but I believe an average example sells for ~4k?

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

The game looks great, I love my fathom and it is similar and I can definitely say I wouldn't sell it for this price personally.
I was just curious about the cabinet repaint stencils as they seem a bit off in my mind from the original artwork, or at least based on Pinball Pimp Stencils. Noticing differences in the Bally font and the divers head area. [quoted image][quoted image]

Jeff (i.e. Pinball Pimp) does a great job with 80's restorations.

For the stencil, comparing them with an original make more sense. Here is an original (from ipdb.org) compared with mine. My example looks much closer to the original than the PP Stencils. I actually like the Bally logo better on Jeff's stencil, however it's not what appears on the 2 Fathoms in the photo below.

Image 4-11-19 at 6.44 AM (resized).jpgImage 4-11-19 at 6.44 AM (resized).jpg
#39 5 years ago
Quoted from KHL:

Looks nice but the CPR reproduction bg brings down the value by 2k IMO.

The CPR reproduction bg for Fathom looks great IMHO (both with and without light). I purchased a CPR Paragon bg and it was awful (so I stuck with the original). The Paragon bg looked great without light, but with light it looked really bad (nothing like the gorgeous original).

Nevertheless, I do agree the original back glasses typically look better. No argument. For this title, I think CPR did a nice job.

2k "hit" to value seems radical to me, but you are certainly entitled to your opinion

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Awesome to see the difference man, thanks for the comparison photos. Did you make your own stencils or use someone else? Just curious if there are other sources out there. And if someone out there really thinks the backglass brings the value down by 2k for being CPR I will gladly sell you my original for $2k and take a CPR backglass haha.

I didn't restore the cabinet personally (and don't know the history of the stencils...sorry).

It would be nice to have a pristine original backglass, but those are very rare.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Beautiful pin....and I'm basically shocked it is still available!!

Thanks. I'm not surprised. 80's pins don't get much love on Pinside. New Stern products seem to get most of the fanfare. I won't be disappointed at all if the machine doesn't sell. Stern's most recent games (Munsters and BK) don't do much for me, so I don't need the slot just yet.

To be honest, when I took it for the "outdoor photo shoot" yesterday, I realized how awesome it is. I know this will sound bizarre, but when I played it today, the game was more engaging than usual. For example, the left orbit lock is typically really difficult on Fathom (even when the flippers are fully dialed in). Today, I nailed the shot several times. Almost like the machine was sending me a message that it didn't want to leave the collection

I swear, some pinball machines have a soul.

Quoted from flynnibus:

If you restore a cabinet... do all surfaces.. especially if you want to call it restored. Otherwise, its just a restenciled cabinet.

Don't agree. I could show you photos from the hobbies top restorers that refute your ridiculous assertion (but I don't want to piss off folks I respect).

If you don't think this Fathom cabinet is worthy of being called "restored", you aren't very smart (or are just trying to provoke me...).

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Rediculous that people do all sides of the cabinet? buhaha
No, they do the back too. Please PM me the links if you don't want to piss anyone off.
This is what 'restored cabinet' surfaces looks like.. Filled and sanded surfaces, new runners, new slides, refinished screens, rescreened art, and labels replaced. Not "people don't restore the back.." puhlease..
[quoted image]

I don't need to see your silly game...I've owned my fair share and know what they look like!

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

With the way the inside of that cabinet was left? No I don't call that cabinet restored. Stained, cards ripped everywhere, etc. I call it repainted, and stenciled.

Yep, it's a POS You're a doofuss...!

#51 5 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

I don't know man pictures don't lie check for yourself
[quoted image]

That's why I posted 15 photos taken outdoors! The photos don't lie and I don't lie. Never had 1 unhappy customer for my games! Based on your profile, you have no games and no feedback, yet you take pleasure in pissing on my game/thread.

As usual, the "jealous few" come out of the wood work to make this an unpleasant experience. Oh well...whatever.

4 months later
#52 4 years ago

Just re-listed with a 1k price reduction. Also included a video to demonstrate how great the game plays. Lastly, I included a close-up photo of the back of the backbox (last go round, some folks were bothered about the condition of the back of the backbox). Can't say it's the prettiest BOTBB I've ever seen, but it's never bothered me in the 6+ years I've owned the game

#55 4 years ago

Game is sold pending pickup.

1 week later
#57 4 years ago

Fathom is packed and off to a new/loving home! Thanks for the 6.5 years of fun...

IMG_2619 (resized).jpegIMG_2619 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

£ 195.00
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-fathom-19?tu=snaroff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.