Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

kelso-burn (resized).jpg
thumb_COLOURBOX15320592 (resized).jpg
IMG_3511 (resized).JPG
IMG_3512 (resized).JPG
IMG_3510 (resized).JPG

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 1 year ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

Price

$ 313 (OBO)

Open for offers

for sale

For sale: Eight Ball

Added: April 2nd, 2018 Ended: April 7th, 2018
Condition: Used - shows wear, needs some work

Item description

Purchased in 1989 from local retailer, Melotone.
played the heck out of it for four years then had children.
Has been in attic storage for over 20 years.
Buy it, move it and provide all the muscle. Best offer by 5pm Saturday 4/8.
Pick up 4/9, 4/10 or 4/14.

Item photos

IMG_3510 (resized).JPG
IMG_3512 (resized).JPG
IMG_3511 (resized).JPG

Photos not showing? Make sure your ad blocker plugin is not hiding them.

Contact

Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!

Listing result

The seller marked this ad as "not sold". The item did not sell through Pinside so there's no listing result.

Item location

Arlington, MA, US

Seller insights

These are LeddyB's all time market stats.

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

N/A

Go to LeddyB's stats page

#2 1 year ago

Who wants a deal?

#3 1 year ago

That's a deal! That playfield and backglass look great. Add an Alltek board and play it!

#4 1 year ago

Would be in a car if I was local...

#5 1 year ago

pm sent, i'll take it.

#7 1 year ago

Wow, can't believe this is still available!

#8 1 year ago

Joined yesterday, posted yesterday, price $313.00 or OBO....fools...

#9 1 year ago

Attic move lol how bad would that suck

#10 1 year ago

I bought a Gottlieb Vulcan out of a 3rd story attic a while back. It had been up there for 25+ years. It was actually in pretty good condition. It did suck getting it down though.

#11 1 year ago

So what's they scoop? Was it real or a scam? Who got it (if it was real).

#12 1 year ago

I was going to inquire about the same thing. Sounds too good to be true.

#13 1 year ago

Turns out to be real, the seller had confirmed with me, asking if I was paying cash of $313, which I replied yes, then sent me an e-mail tonight stating he's doing it auction style, with best offer by 4/8 5pm, with specific dates to move it, must bring all the muscle.

Oh well, moving on.

#14 1 year ago

Ha. There’s always a catch.

#15 1 year ago

To be fair, it is clearly listed OBO... or best offer.

Or best offer means just that. It may be less than $313 or it may be more.

Anytime I see OBO, I always assume the seller will consider all offers until he's ready to sell it.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

To be fair, it is clearly listed OBO... or best offer.
Or best offer means just that. It may be less than $313 or it may be more.
Anytime I see OBO, I always assume the seller will consider all offers until he's ready to sell it.

I always assume the buyer is willing to sell at the list price, and may entertain offers below the list price. Not, "You know, I'm not sure if I want to sell it at this price, so offer me more."

#17 1 year ago

Best offer means the best offer. Sometimes the best offer is more than the list price.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from akm:

I always assume the buyer is willing to sell at the list price, and may entertain offers below the list price.

Yeah, but that's not what best offer means although many would like to believe so. $313 would be the price if there were no other offers.

#19 1 year ago

I don't recall the listing saying ''b/o'' before. He asked if I would come with $313 in cash this weekend and made no mention of best offer, to which I replied yes. Then he changed his tune.

Whatever, it's just an 8 ball.

#20 1 year ago

I would think best offer in this case would be asking or below. Otherwise you just list it as best offer. This happens all the time and is why I don't hunt games anymore. If I am first caller, I respectfully ask for last shot at it.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

He asked if I would come with $313 in cash this weekend

Well that's a whole nuther story there.

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I would think best offer in this case would be asking or below. Otherwise you just list it as best offer. This happens all the time and is why I don't hunt games anymore. If I am first caller, I respectfully ask for last shot at it.

Exactly this.

#23 1 year ago

Without the would you bring $313 cash part here's what it means--

If I don't get any better offers in a certain amount of time, I will be willing to sell it for $313, or maybe less.

#24 1 year ago

The OP is either not understanding the common usage of OBO, or wildly disingenuous in his selling methods

#25 1 year ago

Yeah, OBO has always read "I want this much, however, I'll take what I can get close to that number, as well". How often on Ebay have you seen a best offer listing end above asking price?

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from Collin:

The OP is either not understanding the common usage of OBO, or wildly disingenuous in his selling methods

I googled common usage of OBO and came up with this-

https://www.myenglishteacher.eu/blog/what-does-obo-mean/

"The best offer does not have to be lower or higher than the list price. In fact, it simply gives the buyer an idea of what you would like to receive for that item. If it is really popular, the best offer may be more than what you are asking for it. However, if you have listed your item on the market for a while and no one has sent in any offers, you may accept something lower than what you have asked."

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from Capinball:

Yeah, OBO has always read "I want this much, however, I'll take what I can get close to that number, as well". How often on Ebay have you seen a best offer listing end above asking price?

OBO could mean anything. Jill could offer Jack something other than money. The best offer is what the seller considers the best offer.

#28 1 year ago

Pretty sure the listing was $313 firm 2 days ago. If you have a full asking price offer and don't want to sell at that price, adjust the listing to say $600 OBO or take your listing to EBay where it belongs for auctions. We don't need every market ad to become a bidding war. Don't worry, Pinside will slap their affiliate link to it.

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Jill could offer Jack something other than money.

I think I might be willing to accept Jill's offer.

#30 1 year ago

Turns out to be real, the seller had confirmed with me, asking if I was paying cash of $313, which I replied yes, then sent me an e-mail tonight stating he's doing it auction style, with best offer by 4/8 5pm, with specific dates to move it, must bring all the muscle.
Not cool at all.

Well, the seller is fishing and it sucks, but at least he stepped up and told you that you were facing an auction situation and gave you a chance to adjust your bid. You pass it off as "it is just an 8-Ball". But what if it was something more desirable and people were really chasing? Would you blow it off as easily if the seller went the auction route and did not let you know?

Some around here say they were working with a seller who was pulling the sale/auction routine and they will never do business with that guy yada yada. I don't know about anybody else, but if it was a grail pin and a higher price was still under market value I'd be bummed out big time if I was not told the sale switched to an auction and I was not given a chance to play.

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

I googled common usage of OBO and came up with this-
https://www.myenglishteacher.eu/blog/what-does-obo-mean/
"The best offer does not have to be lower or higher than the list price. In fact, it simply gives the buyer an idea of what you would like to receive for that item. If it is really popular, the best offer may be more than what you are asking for it. However, if you have listed your item on the market for a while and no one has sent in any offers, you may accept something lower than what you have asked."

In a dictionary sense, sure.

That's not common usage here.

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Well, the seller is fishing and it sucks, but at least he stepped up and told you that you were facing an auction situation and gave you a chance to adjust your bid. You pass it off as "it is just an 8-Ball". But what if it was something more desirable and people were really chasing? Would you blow it off as easily if the seller went the auction route and did not let you know?
Some around here say they were working with a seller who was pulling the sale/auction routine and they will never do business with that guy yada yada. I don't know about anybody else, but if it was a grail pin and a higher price was still under market value I'd be bummed out big time if I was not told the sale switched to an auction and I was not given a chance to play.

Because it is just an 8 ball, and because he already offered it to me, for $313 (cash) with the weekend as the opening to pick it up, I'm not willing to chase or play the game.

#33 1 year ago

Because it is just an 8 ball, and because he already offered it to me, for $313 (cash) with the weekend as the opening to pick it up, I'm not willing to chase or play the game.

Yeah, sure. I don't blame you. I am not fond of 8-ball and would not walk across the street for one. But my question was: What if it was not just an 8 ball but something a little more desirable?

#34 1 year ago

The minute a seller wants to play the private/blind auction game, I'm out. I'm not interested in those kinds of shenanigans.

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Yeah, sure. I don't blame you. I am not fond of 8-ball and would not walk across the street for one. But my question was: What if it was not just an 8 ball but something a little more desirable?

Of course I'd be bummed, pissed, or whatever, but I've had it happen. I had it happen with a Gottlieb Spirit. It makes you grab your hat and bite down hard, but ultimately there's nothing you can do about it, so you move on.

#36 1 year ago

What is interesting is how everybody at the top of this ad was playing shark chasing a deal and thinking there is a fool seller here who does not know what his pin is worth. And gdMFSOB, the mf'r is trying to "fk" with us.

#37 1 year ago

The .eu website definition isn’t common usage or common law usage. OBO means OBO below the list price. If you agree to pay his price, (and a modicum of consideration is given, or there’s detrimental reliance), that equals a legally enforceable verbal contract... In such an instance, one could sue for specific performance of the contract (forcing the sale) or other damages...

#38 1 year ago

Of course I'd be bummed, pissed, or whatever, but I've had it happen. I had it happen with a Gottlieb Spirit. It makes you grab your hat and bite down hard, but ultimately there's nothing you can do about it, so you move on.

Yeah, I hear you. I had it happen with a classic Stern when someone came in behind me and bid a price up. I eventually found the Stern I was looking for. I had to pay twice the price. If the seller came back and told me he was going to auction, I would have played. The seller left a lot of money on the table.

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from Collin:

Of course not in this world where everybody wants to be a cheapskate and get what they can for nothing.

But I'm sticking with what I think best offer means.

And if pinside doesn't want auctions, they should remove that option altogether. Otherwise it's open season and fair game.

#40 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Yeah, I hear you. I had it happen with a classic Stern when someone came in behind me and bid a price up. I eventually found the Stern I was looking for. I had to pay twice the price. If the seller came back and told me he was going to auction, I would have played. The seller left a lot of money on the table.

I am so glad I didn't sell you that game, you haven't stopped crying about it since. I didn't like your terms or the way you were about it, something was off, and this just proves I was right. Just imagine how you may have been after getting the game? One of those kinds of people.

Get over it.

#41 1 year ago

thumb_COLOURBOX15320592 (resized).jpg

#42 1 year ago

It's been quite some time since I was really active chasing pins. I loved the hunt for deals. I have had several of those too good to be true situations. Two notable ones were a Scared Stiff for $1000 and CFTBL for $1500. I was first call on both and of course agreed to his asking price. Then I got the message that they were getting better offers. I replied that I had agreed to your price so all I will ask is that since I was first caller and agreed to your price that you at least give me last shot. The guy with the CFTBL was really hurting for money and he called me back after a couple days and said the best offer he had gotten was $1800 and that if I wanted it for that price I could have it. Of course I took it and he was greatly relieved since he knew he was sort of screwing me. Same for the Scared Stiff...best offer he got was $1500...so I gave him $1600.

So...LeddyB...do the right thing and respect the first caller and at least give him a fair shot.

#43 1 year ago

Hello? They registered 3 days ago. Do you think they even give a s$&t what we think? They’ll never be back anyway.

#44 1 year ago

Just wondering what you guys think is fair for something like this? If he squeezes more than a couple hundred over the list, I would be surprised.

#45 1 year ago

he's doing it auction style, with best offer by 4/8 5pm, with specific dates to move it, must bring all the muscle.

Total dick move, I'm out.

#46 1 year ago

Oh well, moving on.

that blows dude. would have been a sweet grab.
thanks
blake

#47 1 year ago
Quoted from Capinball:

perfect example of "OBO" sales listing.
thanks
blake

#48 1 year ago

I've already set my pin-snipe app to submit my bid of 327.87 at 4:59 pm on 4/8. Fingers crossed.

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from Collin:

What, because it is Pinside, there is a different definition?

O.B.O. means best offer, period. The real dick move is if the seller agrees to sell it to someone for the $313 and then reneges on the deal because someone offers $400. When you make a deal, the offer period is over.

This is happening quite often in real estate right now. Homes under $200K are hot as hell. My buddy sold his townhouse in 3 days. Asking $135K, it sold for $142.5K

#50 1 year ago

One of the disadvantages to popularity -- everyone wants a piece of the action. Pinball is hot right now. How many of those "Want to buy your pinball machine" ads do you see on craigslist?

I recently listed a project machine for $200. I knew I had listed it too low when the inbox started blowing up, and then the offers for more money started coming in when it was learned I was waiting for a potential buyer to pickup. I had $200 in the machine, so I was happy to get that back out and pass it onto the next person. People throwing higher offers/more money at you make you think you've priced something too cheap -- but the seller should be doing his/her homework first before pricing/listing something. Aggressive buyers and uneducated sellers can quickly make an easy transaction difficult.

That being said, I have been in situations where OBO was directed as best offer over the stated price. Basically an auction. I walk away from those scenarios. Ideally a seller would price something higher than what he needs out of the item and then add OBO so potential sellers feel they get a "win" when a few dollars come off. Just my 2 cents opinion. . . or best offer.

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside