DSCF9142 (resized).JPG
DSCF9141 (resized).JPG
DSCF9140 (resized).JPG
DSCF9139 (resized).JPG
DSCF9138 (resized).JPG
DSCF9137 (resized).JPG
DSCF9136 (resized).JPG
DSCF9135 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider too-many-pins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

#1 7 years ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

Game - for sale

For sale: Doctor Who

Added: 2017-02-25 16:45:52 UTC • Ended: March 7th, 2017
Condition: Fully shopped/refurbished

Price

$ 3,250

I just had another buyer "flake out on me" without even coming to see this machine so I am going to post it today and keep it up for about a week or so before moving it back into the collection.

Overall this machine is in excellent condition. Playfield is super nice, no broken plastics or anything, cabinet is very nice with just one minor chip out of the lower corner of the backbox. little to no cabinet fade, etc. This was one of the nicest machines from our collection we decided to part with and I am shocked it isn't already gone. With that said I have actually never had it listed for sale because I had several people who knew I owned it that said they wanted it. One at a time they all just "flaked out" on me.

I have only had two people look at it in person and both thought is was very nice. One guy was a flipper that wanted it for less money so he could flip it for a profit after tossing some LED's in it. And the second guy decided to by a MM instead. (I totally forgot about the MM guy until he posted about coming to see it a few weeks ago when I first had it up for sale before shopping it).

Item photos

DSCF9037 (resized).JPG
DSCF9038 (resized).JPG
DSCF9039 (resized).JPG
DSCF9043 (resized).JPG
DSCF9047 (resized).JPG
DSCF9049 (resized).JPG
DSCF9050 (resized).JPG
DSCF9051 (resized).JPG
DSCF9052 (resized).JPG
DSCF9053 (resized).JPG
DSCF9054 (resized).JPG
DSCF9055 (resized).JPG
DSCF9056 (resized).JPG
DSCF9148 (resized).JPG
DSCF9133 (resized).JPG
DSCF9134 (resized).JPG
DSCF9135 (resized).JPG
DSCF9136 (resized).JPG
DSCF9137 (resized).JPG
DSCF9138 (resized).JPG
DSCF9139 (resized).JPG
DSCF9140 (resized).JPG
DSCF9141 (resized).JPG
DSCF9142 (resized).JPG
DSCF9143 (resized).JPG
DSCF9145 (resized).JPG
DSCF9146 (resized).JPG
DSCF9147 (resized).JPG
DSCF9144 (resized).JPG
DSCF9148 (resized).JPG
DSCF9149 (resized).JPG
DSCF9132 (resized).JPG

Photos not showing? Make sure your ad blocker plugin is not hiding them.

Contact

Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!

Seller insights

These are too-many-pins's market stats.

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

100.0%

Go to too-many-pins's stats page

Listing result

The seller marked this ad as "not sold". The item did not sell through Pinside so there's no listing result.

Item location

Carlisle, PA, US

Related shop items!

Interested in this game? Also check out these related Pinside Shops items!

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Nice color on the cab. Decals or original silk screen?

Just a very nice very original cabinet. Actually the entire machine is just about as nice as the cabinet.

My biggest mistake was deciding to shop it for my buyer and then after getting it about 75% finished getting an email that he "found one closer to home". In any event it will be newly shopped & done the right way with everything removed including disassembly of time expander for proper shop job. Should be a great looking & great playing machine by Tuesday or Wednesday. It was nice before I started shopping it so it will be even nicer once finished.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

You are breaking down the time expander? Make sure it is level when you reinstall, otherwise it becomes a rather irritating issue.
Great and unique game with one of the best toys ever in pinball. I'm really curious to hear what this one sells for, I think it is priced right.

THANKS!

I have never had it listed for sale until today and it has already been tentatively sold 3 different times for $3200 prior to me listing it today. My issue was EVERYONE wanted it fully shopped at that price (instead of needing shopped at $2800) and I just didn't have time to do it until this past Friday. Now one buyer has "flaked out on me" my original buyer had emergency dental surgery and can't purchase it right now and my 3rd buyer decided to by the project Doctor Who I had instead of this one. So once I finish shopping it this coming week I think $3200 is more than fair.

I honestly think it is a $3500 machine because you just don't find them with little to no cabinet fade. So between that, the fact is will be completely & correctly shopped, and the overall condition of this machine I think it is under priced at $3200 but I am looking for a quick sale. With the exception of the one little chip on the lower corner of the head this machine is about as nice as it gets!

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Machine was reporting SW72 and SW75 (Mini Opto 5 Bank) out so it had to be pulled. One of those was completely dead, not lighting at all. New infrared emitters installed for all 5 Bank Optos, just waiting to put back in the game.

Taking this guy apart really wasn't something either Wayne or I was wanting to do but you can't sell a machine as 100% working if it isn't. As far as getting it together 100% correct - I really am not worried about that with my mechanical experience. I just hate the time doing things correctly takes but like my dad always said "if you don't have time to do it right you sure as hell don't have time to do it twice". So I have learned over the years - do it right the first time!

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Geez. That is so nice I am going to have to take a look on Monday!

Rob,

Don't worry too much about it the one I have sitting here for you will look just as good with just a little work put into it. To me they are nearly twins if it wasn't for the couple minor issues on the one we are holding for you. And before you ask - no I don't want to shop yours before you come grab it Monday - just kidding, I would have time to shop it correctly before a week from Monday anyway and you will be here in less than 48 hours! Typically a decent shop job take me over 20 hours.

#12 7 years ago

Doctor Who is tentatively sold pending pick up Tuesday. The rest of the machines I have up for sale are still available at this point but I am holding Doctor Who for yet another buyer. I have had some serious interest in my Diner machine but no one has pulled the trigger yet on that one.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Wow. It's interesting that "flaking out" involves following up 5 times over the course of 7 days for photos before FINALLY receiving them, then the photos show the machine apart.
Oh and "flaking out" also means following your advice in your first PM when you said "All I ever ask is if you do find one closer to home or change you mind for any reason you just let me know so I can put it back up for sale".
If it takes a week to get pics, finding another machine can happen especially one not 3 hrs from me.
At least we all know what "flaking out" means now. GLWS.

We happen to be pretty darn busy selling off machines and getting them ready for people. I have been doing the best I can to keep up with pictures, emails, etc but between trying to get several machines ready for sale, shopping out machines people asked to have shopped out before picking them up, having people picking up machines, etc our world is far from perfect right now.

When I said "buyers flaked out" I didn't talk about anyone specifically and I emailed you and told you I was happy you found one closer to home. But I also had to explain why the machine was back up for sale again and "buyer flaking out" just seemed like the easiest way of saying this. This was not a negative comment specifically at or about you it was just stating the fact that someone else that voiced an interest in this machine decided against it and machine was back up for sale. Sorry if you took my comment personally. All I am trying to do is get a bunch of machines sold off quickly to be done with it!

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Nope. But "flaked out" twice in the same thread was enough. Once I saw finally saw pics, I passed and went for something else.
Enjoy your machine, Rob.

Rob,

I don't know what you think the pictures showed other than a machine in the process of being 100% shopped correctly with a full tear down but the only issue with this Doctor Who is a dime size chip on the corner of the backbox. Playfield is perfect, plastics & ramps are good, etc. But almost a full day into the shop out I realized I forgot to send some pictures and since I had put you off in the past I at least wanted to get some pictures off to you.

I PM'ed you a few minutes ago saying I was sorry if you took the "flaked out" personally. It wasn't meant to be negative about anyone - it was just a quick way of saying another potential buyer decided against the machine without ever seeing it in person.

Sorry for any misunderstanding! As I told you yesterday - "I am truly glad you found something closer to home".

#18 7 years ago

This machine just doesn't seem to want to leave? Another person scheduled to pick it up never contacted me tonight like they were suppose to so it is back up for grabs again. This is number 5 without one person even coming to see this machine in person. By the end of the week - or over the weekend - I'll just move it back into the collection if it isn't gone!

I have had one or two people not show in the past but 5 no shows on this machine is a record for me. So here we go again!

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Did you get the Time Expander back in, level, and fully functioning?

In and working great! After building Street Rods & Muscle Cars when I was in my teens & twenties, and owning dozens of race cars, muscle cars, street rods, etc back in my younger days I find most of the mechanical stuff on these pinball machine very simple to work on compared to most of what I have done in the past.

The electronics on SS machines is a totally different story - but thankfully I have a son that handles all of that end of things for me! Our biggest concern with the time expander wasn't getting it reassembled and working well - it was weather or not we had the correct optical switches for it in stock. But once again my son came through on that and machine is now 100%.

#21 7 years ago

I just had someone email about getting together for a machine in a couple weeks and realized I have about 8 days of selling before I need to get ready to hit the road for Florida. My very last day for pick up of machines will have to be sometime around March 8th for things to time our OK for me to make the trip and still get back in time to load for the Allentown Pinball Show.

So if you have any interest in anything we have up for sale we have just over a week to finalize things and get machines picked up and gone or it will be sometime in May before I am back to selling again.

Thanks,
Skip

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

For the record, I got to see this machine up close (I bought a different machine) and it's in real good condition - perhaps a video of the Time Expander in test mode would help? Playfield underside was really clean too. You guys did a great shop on it.

Thanks Rob!

Keep us posted as far as that "project" machine goes. I wish we had the time & energy to do all of them but sometimes it is better to just pass them along as projects! And these days there seems to be a shortage of decent project machines around anyway so I think that will be our direction for the balance of 2017 once the last few machines from the collection are sold off. As long as our warehouse deal comes together there will be about 60 to 80 project machines for sale in central PA at some point in 2017.

As far as this machine not selling so far I blame myself. I had 4 or 5 buyers all wanting it shopped and working 100% and up until this past week I just didn't have time to get it to that point. So it is only logical some people would get tired of waiting for me. But now it is FINALLY finished and ready to go. As nice as it looks and plays now I really don't care if it sells or ends up back in the collection.

And for anyone with concerns about the fact we tore the time expander apart to replace the switches I have over 50 years of experience doing mechanical repairs on just about anything that moves so the time expander wasn't even a challenge for me. It is actually a very simple system for all that is involved and they did a decent job of designing it so it wasn't bad to work on.

#25 7 years ago

Well here we go again - after holding this machine for several days for a buyer that didn't follow up two times it is back up for sale for the 5th or 6th time. If it isn't sold - picked up - and gone it will be moved back into the collection next Thursday (a week from today -- 3/9 to be exact). I am really getting tired of people screwing with me on this machine and so far this has really been the only machine that has been an issue with?

Anyway - I am not personally blaming any of the buyers that didn't follow up I just can't believe the machine I though would have been one of the first to go is still here thanks to no shows and people changing their mind without ever seeing this machine in person. 52 other machines sold and 49 went to the first person that emailed about it and this one has never even been looked at in person? Maybe it just wants to stay in our collection longer? I have not had one customer who voiced an interest in this machine actually show up other than a buddy of mine that stopped by to take a look at it on the outside chance he had a buyer for it.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Hey now me and my old lady showed up when i said we wld? I just decided to get a restored mm instead lol.

I totally forgot about you guys coming to see it before I shopped it. When I just saw your post I had to think for a minute "who showed up and looked at this machine" because I really didn't remember anyone coming to see it in person. Sorry about that! I enjoyed BS'ing with you guys when you were here but for the life of me I can't remember you names. I remember you saying you lived a few blocks from Lloyd (COW) and that you cut grass for a living. Anyway - this post wasn't intended to single out anyone - just saying as nice as this machine is I am shocked it is still here.

I don't get upset when someone shows up and doesn't buy a machine I have up for sale what gets to me is the guys that say "I'll be their at 2 PM Thursday" and never shows up or calls. I know it happens to anyone selling but it does get old!

#28 7 years ago

Weekend bump - still trying to sell as much as possible before Thursday 3/9. On Thursday I'll be taking listings down for all unsold machines and getting ready to head south for a 6 week - much needed - vacation. Then I'll return to set up at the Allentown Show. After that the craziness will start all over again with machines from my warehouse deal.

Any interest in this machine please let me know ASAP because I want to move it from the garage back into the collection if it doesn't sell before I go away. It is much too nice of a machine to have sitting in the garage while I am away.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Just being upfront...... this is a 2500/2600 dollar machine at best from the pics. Priced right it would sell quickly. Remember its got fade on both sides, head is all chipped. up, mini playfield is chipped, game needs a good buff and is dirty, lockdown has lock rot, Could be a nice game but the way it sits its a players condition game....... Sorry for being honest.

You must be looking at a different machine! There is one little chip on the bottom of the head on this one and everyone who has seen it in person is amazed how nice it is for an all original machine. There is very little cabinet fade - cabinet looks lighter in pictures because sun was shinning in garage door when I took that picture. And mini playfield doesn't have any chips? I have it sold for $3000 when I get back from vacation if I want to sell it for that price but I was hoping to sell it before I went away. (See post #25 above if you want to see what someone that has seen it in person thinks).

I think my prices on machines are very fair. I have sold 53 machines in 7 weeks only having to drop the price on two to get them sold. One I missed a couple things one when I posted it and buyer pointed them out to me - I adjusted the price accordingly. And the second machine was a machine buyer & I were $50 apart on so I agreed to his offer to get it sold quickly.

As far as price point - I might be a little high but I just sold a project Doctor Who in much worse shape for $2400 a couple weeks ago. I am really thinking this machine just isn't ready to leave yet and that is fine with me. If someone wants it for $3200 CASH they can own it otherwise I'll just move it back into the collection - no big deal either way!

What has been driving me nuts about this machine is I could have sold it two or three times over during the time I had it sitting waiting for me to shop it for a buyer I promised it to wanting it fully shopped. (That buyer got tired of waiting for me to get it shopped & bought something else - and I can't say that I blame him because it was several weeks before I got it shopped for him). And now that I have it fully shopped I can't get $200 more for it than I was offered for it unshopped? Anyway - like I have said above - I just don't think it is ready to leave yet!

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

I quess everyone's standards are quite different.... I totally disagree
Good luck with the sale

That is your right and if you were a buyer or customer for this I would have no problem with your high standards. I would just tell you to go buy something from someone like HEP for 4 times the money if you want a perfect machine. Some people buy machine to polish and keep perfect. Other people buy machines to play and enjoy. I just happen to be one of the people that buys machines to enjoy and as long as they are not totally trashed I have no issues with some imperfections on the machines in my collection.

My track record over the years speaks for itself and I am always very fair with my prices according to lots of repeat customers as well as first time customers. My goal when I started selling off machines was to sell as many of the 60+ machines we decided to sell as quickly as possible and then take a much needed vacation before setting up at the Allentown Show. I was hoping to sell off at least 50 machines but thought that was a stretch. With almost a week to go I have exceeded my goal by almost 10% so I really don't care if this machine or any others sell at this point. But I still want to try to sell a couple more prior to taking all my listing down this coming Thursday so I have bumped all my listing once a day for the past couple days hoping for one or two additional machines to sell.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from Flipperfun:

I say a bit more, like $2800 would do it for me.

I would have sold it for $2800 before we put over 15 hours into shopping it!

#36 7 years ago

Pictures actually make that wear look much worse than it is. Typically I try to downplay the condition of machines I am selling so potential buyers are not disappointed when they see machines in person. So instead of taking pictures at angles that hid imperfections I try to take pictures to show off imperfections to be fair with buyers.

Take a look at my feedbacks to see what I am talking about as far as this goes.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from Catch86:

Sorry I don't see it. I couldn't justify paying that but then I can't afford much anyway. No wobble head and no color dmd(assuming), no cliffys. But I'm no expert. Good luck with that anyway. I love this game.

To me is is all about condition and nothing else when it comes to an exceptionally clean original machine. When comparing it to the car hobby this one is a survivor not restored ("lipstick on a pig"). Not knocking high end restorations - but anyone with money can buy a fully restored machine that looks new. But a super nice all original machine just doesn't come up for sale often at any price.

Bargain hunters - I fully understand where you are coming from because I am one of you. But after owning nearly 500 machines over the years I have been in the hobby I realize just how unusual it is to find a near perfect original machine. Maybe the "correct price" on this is closer to $3000 but to me it is worth every bit of $3250 and maybe more.

If it sells great - if not it will be returned to the collection and remain one of the nicest original machines I have in my collection - plain & simple. Until you see this machine in person you just can't begin to understand just how nice it is - not touched up nice - just a exceptionally nice original example of a popular machine I am not going to give away just because some people think I am a few hundred overpriced on it. Show me another one near as nice that has sold for less!

Thursday - if it isn't sold - it will be returned to the collection and will not be for sale at any price. I don't need to sell it and at this point - now that it is shopped out and working 100% - I would almost prefer just keeping it.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

you're asking for trouble there!

I don't really care! This is a hobby for me - hobbies are suppose to be fun - when a few people on a forum try to take the fun out of the hobby it is time to move on. So if anyone wants this Doctor Who you have 5 days to come get it - if not I'll continue to enjoy owning it!

We now have both the space and money we need for the warehouse deal and I have been communicating with the sellers nephew about hooking up again. At this point I have two chances to hook up with him either March 25 to March 28th or June 2nd to June 5th. March is right in the middle of my vacation so now I need to decided if I want to break up my vacation to finalize that deal or do I just want to wait until June. Either way those machines will be up for sale once I get back from vacation. For now I am just trying to wind things down before we move unsold machines back into the collection and I start enjoying some time off.

Have a good day!

#41 7 years ago

Saturday evening bump! See my other machines for sale also - I would really like to get one or two more machines sold before my Thursday deadline. But if not it isn't for lack of trying!

THANKS!

#42 7 years ago

Bump to make this easy for someone replying to my Craig's List ad to find

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

The pinball hobby has never valued original conditioned games, it's different from the arcade hobby and car hobby. Pinball is more like a pimp my ride kind of hobby and restores will always have more value than good conditioned originals (there are many reasons for this I could identify).
All that said, I think your game is in really good condition and it will sell at your price eventually. It's just not a quick sale at the price you are seeking.

I realize what you are saying is correct but it just really doesn't make any sense. In any event if my buyer follows through this time the machine is tentatively sold for the 10th time. If my buyer doesn't follow through I am just going to take the listing down and return the nicest original game I currently own to my collection.

THANKS!

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

The cabinet appears to have very little fade (compared to most WMS machines of the time). My true single owner HUO DW I've had since 1992 has far more substantial fade. Also, I don't think this example has much playfield damage as it doesn't look like it had many plays - the inland rollover switches are in perfect shape and those are often beat up prettt bad on this game. The shooter lane hasn't seen much action.
The mini playfield area will always be chewed up on DW. Even on a restored DW one ball shot that gets caught in the time expander can cause a chip. I clear coated mine and it has stopped it from doing it. His game could use a nice wax job, but that Diamond Plated playfield is tough and it would polish up nicely.

I actually just completely cleaned and shopped the machine but I don't go crazy trying to buff a mirror shine on playfield when I clean them. I just hand clean them to get anything nasty off and then put a couple good coats of wax on them. Personally I prefer my machines to have the "old used arcade look" as opposed to being over cleaned. I guess since I am an old school antique guy I really don't want to remove the "patina".

I figure a buyer can LED a machine, flame polish ramps, machine buff the playfield, etc but once that is done it can not be reversed so I just hate to do it in case a buyer thinks like me. If someone wants to buff the hell out of their machines that is their right it just isn't something I like to do or see! And personally I am not an LED guy either.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 40.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

£ 110.00
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider too-many-pins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-doctor-who-8?tu=too-many-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.