(Topic ID: 253957)

For sale: Deadly Weapon (Unfortunately for the buyer)

By Jesterfunhouse

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Did the Nationals Win the World Series?”

• NO 10 votes
    26%
  • YES 8 votes
    21%
  • Gottliebs Suck 21 votes
    54%

(39 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F3143F33-0551-4F98-99D7-360C19B06EC9 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20191006_160259_resized (resized).jpg
20191005_163252_resized_2 (resized).jpg
20191010_185551_resized_1 (resized).jpg
20190929_135720 (resized).jpg
80DEABD7-25F6-401D-8452-41763D9B366E (resized).jpeg
30D429B5-B77D-434C-9D3A-74BDF7B6D5EE (resized).jpeg
20191021_194659 (resized).jpg
20191021_194635 (resized).jpg
20191021_194610 (resized).jpg
20191021_194604 (resized).jpg
20191021_194519 (resized).jpg
20191021_194512 (resized).jpg
20191021_194455 (resized).jpg
20191021_194311 (resized).jpg

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 4 years ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

Game - for sale

For sale: Deadly Weapon (Unfortunately for the buyer)

Added: 2019-10-21 22:00:00 UTC • Re-listed: 2 times (January 17th, 2020) • Ended: March 2nd, 2020
Condition: Used - shows wear, needs some work

Price

$ 850 (Firm)

Price is firm

I am selling this game for a friend who is not a pinball person and not in a huge rush to sell so I am pretty firm on the price. Sorry no trades. It is at my house so i can answer any questions or provide additional pictures as needed.

1990 Gottlieb Deadly Weapon - This is one of the rarer Gottliebs from that era 850 made. I try to be as transparent and honest as I can when selling pinball machines. Please review my feedback for references. So here is the breakdown on this one.

The Good

Has been in the home of one family for at least the last ten years.
-Game boots up and will start a game and plays sorta*(See solenoid issue below)
-Both display systems work great with no known problems (There are two different displays on this machine). See pictures for condition and types of displays.
-Plastics are all in good shape and don't appear to be cracked or missing which is great and unusual for this era machine as I think getting replacements will be a challenge.
-Boards all look original and are in relatively good condition other than the issue below.

The Bad
-Game keeps blowing the solenoid fuse and I don't know if its a transistor on the driver board or a short in the solenoid circuit. I will try to trouble shoot it and potentially repair when I have the time but currently it is blown and I don't have any fuses on hand
-Areas of wear on the playfield. Not too bad but they are there and are easily visible in the pictures.
-Some knicks and scrapes on the cabinet especially on the head. See pictures for condition

The Ugly (If you have read this far you must be a Gottlieb fan and want to buy this and don't care about the following opinion...)

-Its a Gottlieb... of which I am personally not a fan of this era machines and cannot stand(hate actually) the designs/themes and just about everything involved with them. This one has a particularly badly designed back box where the speaker lifts up from the top and then drops down onto the backglass and surprisingly does not break it. Only for a true Gottlieb lover or sucker/novice or "must have every machine" collector I wish I could sell for a lot less or give it away to someone I don't like, but I can't so I am stuck with selling it AS IS. 850 is the unlucky price tag on this one.

Item photos

20191021_193912 (resized).jpg
20191021_193914 (resized).jpg
20191021_193947 (resized).jpg
20191021_194013 (resized).jpg
20191021_194021 (resized).jpg
20191021_194027 (resized).jpg
20191021_194037 (resized).jpg
20191021_194043 (resized).jpg
20191021_194051 (resized).jpg
20191021_194101 (resized).jpg
20191021_194137 (resized).jpg
20191021_194143 (resized).jpg
20191021_194146 (resized).jpg
20191021_194148 (resized).jpg
20191021_194153 (resized).jpg
20191021_194159 (resized).jpg
20191021_194206 (resized).jpg
20191021_194216 (resized).jpg
20191021_194220 (resized).jpg
20191021_194235 (resized).jpg
20191021_194255 (resized).jpg
20191021_194301 (resized).jpg
20191021_194303 (resized).jpg
20191021_194307 (resized).jpg
20191021_194311 (resized).jpg
20191021_194455 (resized).jpg
20191021_194512 (resized).jpg
20191021_194519 (resized).jpg
20191021_194604 (resized).jpg
20191021_194610 (resized).jpg
20191021_194635 (resized).jpg
20191021_194659 (resized).jpg

Photos not showing? Make sure your ad blocker plugin is not hiding them.

Contact

Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!

Seller insights

These are Jesterfunhouse's market stats.

silver Seller Level

Jesterfunhouse has the Pinside Silver seller level!

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

100.0%

Go to Jesterfunhouse's stats page

Listing result

The seller marked this ad as "not sold". The item did not sell through Pinside so there's no listing result.

Item location

Charles Town, WV, US

#2 4 years ago

Good thing he’s in no hurry to sell.

#3 4 years ago

Love the description. Almost makes me want to start a Gottlieb collection from this era

#4 4 years ago

Game has issues, but your buddy expects to get 500 over the average? Glad he is not in a rush.

#6 4 years ago

I thought Deadly Weapon was one of the better Gottlieb street level games. I kind of like the unusual placement of the pop bumper on the left.

But yes, the asking price is not consistent with the condition.

#7 4 years ago

Gottlieb had some very interesting themes and design styles in this era, unfortunately their ambition for quality parts wasn't equal.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

their ambition for quality parts wasn't equal.

What makes you say that? I've always found a lot of Gottlieb parts to be higher quality than comparable parts from other manufacturers. Wiring, chime boxes, playfield assemblies, wireform ramps, etc. Gottlieb's flaws were their early board designs and grounding issues. Once you get beyond those issues (which are easily addressed), the games were built like tanks. I always like bringing Gottlieb games to shows since I rarely have to worry about them developing issues.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

What makes you say that? I've always found a lot of Gottlieb parts to be higher quality than comparable parts from other manufacturers. Wiring, chime boxes, playfield assemblies, wireform ramps, etc. Gottlieb's flaws were their early board designs and grounding issues. Once you get beyond those issues (which are easily addressed), the games were built like tanks. I always like bringing Gottlieb games to shows since I rarely have to worry about them developing issues.

I am speaking more towards their cabinets, backglasses, playfields, and playfield parts.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I couldn't agree more. There are plenty of things people can fairly criticize regarding Gottliebs, such as rules, flipper design, grounding, etc., but the quality of the parts themselves were second to none in my opinion. The wiring and labeling under the playfield was better than any other manufacturer. Every connector was labeled on each end, the full layout of the underside was screen printed on the bottom of the playfield. I've also never had a cabinet split unlike other manufacturers, although there were some terrible particle board cabinets in the 80s which did fall apart if they absorbed any moisture.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I am speaking more towards their cabinets, backglasses, playfields, and playfield parts.

Some cabinets were solid, but at times cheap particleboard was used.

I think backglasses held up well for the most part, although flaking reds were sometimes a problem, like most other manufacturers. I also think part of the issue here was that there were just so many Gottlieb games out there in the northeast, that you've seen so many of them that were just kept in poor conditions. Backglasses that were kept in good storage conditions did a lot better. Williams had a few titles that were notorious for delaminating no matter what you did.

Playfields didn't have a great topcoat, which resulted in paint wear on many titles. I think the wood and inserts didn't exhibit any serious issues, though.

#12 4 years ago

I used to own a Deadly Weapon many years ago .... and I have to admit its actually a fun game. Similar to MNF where you play for pinball score and football score, DW has pinball score and an arrests score.

#13 4 years ago

I am interested in this title but it is always priced well beyond what I am willing to pay. I really don't think I've judged the market wrong but why does everyone seem to want $1300+?

#14 4 years ago

Deadly Weapon is actually a fun and entertaining pinball game. Many unique shots and flow combined with good rules. There is a lot here to like. You are really a good friend to store something you have a visceral repulsion to in your house. The pricing guarantees that you will either never be able to move this game or you will shoulder the guilt of taking advantage of an uninformed, unsuspecting and probably decent human being. Either way, being willing to take the burden your friend is placing on you with this is really above and beyond the call.

#15 4 years ago

Description struck me as honest and unique. I’ll take 2!

#16 4 years ago

I quite like the gameplay on this one but of course I also love gold wings and bad girls lol.

1300 would be a top dollar price and it would have to be very nice at that, this game is maybe worth 500 max currently.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I thought Deadly Weapon was one of the better Gottlieb street level games. I kind of like the unusual placement of the pop bumper on the left.
But yes, the asking price is not consistent with the condition.

Put some good time on Deadly Weapon at Expo this year. Thought it was good for the most part, I would probably put Hoops as my favorite of the "street level" series. Would love to devote time to Vegas and Car Hop - latter in which I still never played.

#18 4 years ago

I have owned one of these. This is a fun game. The only downfall is you can't earn multiball but you can get it from mystery award.

Game has modes and a reason to shoot all the shots to collect police cars.

Fun shots too. Rare game that doesn't come up too often.

#19 4 years ago

Here is the best offer (Genuine PM) I have received so far for the machine below. I do believe the description if you read the whole thing raises the value to at least $1300 despite what is said on this thread.

Can anyone top this?

"Your ad made me laugh. After reading your description I feel like I should buy it and push it out of the truck on the freeway. That way there will be on less POS machine on the market."

#20 4 years ago

It may be overpriced, but Deadly Weapon is a fun game. Gottliebs from this era are just as well made as other mfgs, and have some features that are better. I like all the street level games, but Title Fight is the best.

#21 4 years ago

They have no features that are “better” unless you can’t get enough of mystery awards.

Yes their board sets are well built but those cabinets are awful.

#22 4 years ago

Sorry Levi, I wasn't clear... The features meant in the builds and boards. The cabs suck, but that's pretty much at the bottom of my list of things to look for. And you're right the mystery awards were a bad idea. But in these pinflation daze, the street level games are a good bang for the buck. They failed in the real world because distributors didn't pass on the cheaper prices to the route dudes, so they saw no reason to buy them over the rampy shtuff.

#23 4 years ago

The description was awesome. Kudos and a thumbs up OP!

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They have no features that are “better” unless you can’t get enough of mystery awards.
Yes their board sets are well built but those cabinets are awful.

The cabinets did the job and sure as hell didn't split like a contemporary brand I won't mention. I'd like to see another company do a legit vari-target and also didn't see other manufacturers of that vintage make use of #47 bulbs as flashers in the pop bumpers either.

#25 4 years ago

BUMP on a Saturday!

#26 4 years ago

I’ll never understand why gottlieb was so obsessed with the mystery award.

“Hmm...so those kids like that Addams Family game? Putting quarters into T2 eh?

You what they’ll like? Mystery Award!!! Ball goes into The hole and they get a multi ball!! It’ll be a hit! And to make it even more awesome, that’s the only way to get a multi ball! Take that Williams!”

#27 4 years ago

I have a brand new playfield for a DWeapon. Been waiting for one to come onto the market, but not at this price. Used to own one many, many years back and really enjoyed it.

#28 4 years ago

I keep wanting to love it but then I remember how good Hoops is and just can't bring myself to buy this.

#29 4 years ago

Yup I also hate gottlieb and everything about them, but Glws mr.

#30 4 years ago

Bump for the humor!

#31 4 years ago

I just want to know which one of these clowns will sell there deadly Weapon for $900...
Fully working ....
I will wait....

#32 4 years ago

I feel it is fair price for a hard to find Gottlieb...
Blowing the Coil fuse... Is a shorted coil on the playfeild... Easy fix...

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from NickBudlight:

I just want to know which one of these clowns will sell there deadly Weapon for $900...
Fully working ....
I will wait....
I feel it is fair price for a hard to find Gottlieb...

Or are you just saying that cuz you are selling one for double his asking price?
I'll wait....

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from V4Vendetta:

Or are you just saying that cuz you are selling one for double his asking price?
I'll wait....

No just curious how many people are letting them go for 900...
I have seen 2 sell in the last year for over 2K each... This was at the Ohio pinball show an York show .
So you tell me....

#35 4 years ago

There was a nice one at Allentown about 3 years ago I think it sold for 1600 and it was sold very quick. I have one and it’s a great game. Mine is for sale, if it doesn’t sell locally it will also be at the next Allentown for sale.

#36 4 years ago

Respect the humor bump

#37 4 years ago

Hate to play "price police" but here in the North East I have purchased 5 Gottliebs of this vintage in the last 6 months and the most expensive was $1250 fully shopped with LED's installed and in excellent condition all around. The others were a grand or less, worked with minor issues and were in better condition than the unit for sale.

$1300 if it was fully working perhaps, playfield condition makes it a hard sell.

Gottlieb in this timeframe gets little love I'm afraid. There is exceptions but they are that, exceptions.

#38 4 years ago

I just sold my Deadly Weapon about 5 Months ago for $2,200 Canadian which I think is around $1700 give or take U.S. Fully working, nice playfield, LED, Good cabinet. 100% working.

#39 4 years ago

Finally, a "Deadly Weapon" came up thats routed/unkept in desperate need of repair at a steal of a price!! I've been looking forever... SCORE!!!

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from NickBudlight:

No just curious how many people are letting them go for 900...
I have seen 2 sell in the last year for over 2K each... This was at the Ohio pinball show an York show .
So you tell me....

I'm not disagreeing with you but it doesn't bode well when you are selling the same game. It just looks like you are price pumping from the outside view. Also I've seen couple of these sell for around $1000 around where I live and it took a long time to sell so there is that.

#41 4 years ago

I appreciate all of the comments and especially those that "GET" the humor. Also on Pricing I do get it...I can't stand Gottlieb's I have sold many and shopped out many and I really don't like working on them. Still remember its only pinball which is why I take the lighter side to selling games and I hope I get a little respect for for having the FUNNIEST and most DISCLOSURE of details on my ADS.

I don't think 1300 is AN OUTRAGEOUS price for a rarer Gottlieb and its always funny how some get worked up over a couple hundred dollars. BUT I have been around long enough that it goes with the culture on Pinside and I don't take offense as I did post it on the forum.

I LOVE PINSIDE...Keep the comments coming...its ALL GOOD!

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Hate to play "price police" but here in the North East I have purchased 5 Gottliebs of this vintage in the last 6 months and the most expensive was $1250 fully shopped with LED's installed and in excellent condition all around.

Back on duty!

30D429B5-B77D-434C-9D3A-74BDF7B6D5EE (resized).jpeg30D429B5-B77D-434C-9D3A-74BDF7B6D5EE (resized).jpeg
#43 4 years ago

By the way...the local bowling alley has one of these Deadly Weapons in the arcade. I play it more than the only other pinball there, Maverick. The siren sounds when hitting police cars is one of the best in all of pinball. It’s a unique game, and definitely rare. But rarity doesn’t necessarily mean paying more for it.

#44 4 years ago

if i buy it, i can put it right next to my bone busters inc. and officially have the sorriest pinball collection in the whole world.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

if i buy it, i can put it right next to my bone busters inc. and officially have the sorriest pinball collection in the whole world.

Says the person who has 38 games in their collection LOL.

You could have the worst 38 games in history and it would still not be a sad collection.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

I get a little respect for for having the FUNNIEST and most DISCLOSURE of details on my ADS.

This feels a little personal... For my next pinball ad I will not only disclose all the game's flaws, but my own short comings as a person.

BTW: Gottliebs rule and your ad drools.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from Murphelman:

Says the person who has 38 games in their collection LOL.
You could have the worst 38 games in history and it would still not be a sad collection.

i actually like premier games. i was just sticking with the theme of the thread.

#48 4 years ago

Just got back from the bowling alley after playing a few games of Deadly Weapon.. the police car sirens are awesome! Very interesting shots. The pop bumper placement is great. I still don’t know the rules.... there was one timed mode (I guess you would call it a mode) and the sirens ran for 30 seconds straight. Soooo good! Also got the three standup targets to score at million each with a multiplier, and that ran up the score pretty good. It’s an interesting game....GLWS

80DEABD7-25F6-401D-8452-41763D9B366E (resized).jpeg80DEABD7-25F6-401D-8452-41763D9B366E (resized).jpeg
#49 4 years ago

I think a lot of the low prices reflect conditions, archived market place ads show about one a year comes up for sale on pinside. Unfortunately these games are far and few, most collectors never get to play one, so opinions are based on opinions they’ve read. This game is system 3 but really feels more like an 80b.

#50 4 years ago

I maybe able to help this sale.

I have a NOS playfield that has been professionally clearcoated. If I had time to go get this it would already be at my house.

If the PF is holding anyone back on this contact me and we might be able to work something out.

There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-deadly-weapon-2?hl=tramd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.