Topic Stats

• 302 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by lb1
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 41 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

walkingtall1a.jpg
joysticks3bigfixed.jpg
IMG_3935.jpeg
IMG_3934.jpeg
IMG_3933.jpeg
Snickers.jpg
IMG_1686.jpg
IMG_1673.jpg
reebok-pump-16.jpg
image.jpg
Congo_the_Movie_gamebox.jpg
Screen_shot_2011-02-21_at_12.11.58_PM.png
IMG_0972.jpg
IMG_0975.jpg
IMG_0973.jpg
IMG_0979.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

#106 4 years ago

I bought my Congo around 2004, when it was getting a lot of hate on RGP. I almost sold it due to all the negativity, but my family talked me into keeping it. I have about $2200 into it with new ramps, plastics and playfield window. I'll never sell it because it makes great temporary-trade bait, and it has a completely unique layout. When you're hitting your shots, Congo flows like melted butter. It makes me sad to see so many people dressing theirs up with colored GI and ugly translites. That's what's jacking the average price up. Any example over $3500 should at least come with new ramps - the Pinball Inc. ramps are twice as thick.

#110 4 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

I would say rarity and unique layout are what's raising the price, but to each his own.

Actually I agree with this too. Even a bone stock nice Congo goes for 3300+ these days.

#131 4 years ago

If you sell a game on Pinside without LEDs, the LED police will come after you.

#156 4 years ago

Ghost Tribe bump. Oogabooga Oogabooga!

#182 4 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Congo is a fun game and a really good game. But it's no Met pro or IM.

I own all 3, and I agree. But I still think I'd sell IM before I sold Congo...just because it has such a refreshingly different layout. In fact, I used to worry that IM and MET had very similar layouts - thankfully, they play nothing alike.

#185 4 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I agree, Congo is a cool layout but I have tron so I already get pretty much the same shot geometry with it.

Yeah, I seriously considered trading up from Congo to Tron, when it came out. I even bought the "chicks translite". But, I decided I couldn't justify the $ difference and kept Congo. We have Herkermer Homolka, you have Castor.

#189 4 years ago

High altitude booze bump!

Screen_shot_2011-02-21_at_12.11.58_PM.png

#200 4 years ago

I'm eventually going to put gloss black hardware on mine. Thanks for this ad, OP, it helped me justify buying some more upgrades!

#206 4 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

I liked my Congo and sold it, in nearly perfect condition, for $1750 four years ago. I made money on the sale, and still felt amazed I was able to sell it for that amount. The prices being talked about on this title lately are silly.

In terms of gameplay, Congo stands up pretty well to all of my Sterns. Overall, I think the most comparable modern Stern is Avatar, which sells for ~$3300 (more in nice shape). I had both Congo and Avatar at the same time for a while, sold Avatar. Avatar had better sound and theme, but Congo kills it on layout and rules (IMO). Long way of saying that Congo probably sells for mid-3's because it competes well with most Sterns in that range.

#211 4 years ago
Quoted from DreamTR:

There is no coincidence Avatar sells for fuck all.

North of 3k isn't fuck all. I actually enjoyed Avatar a lot.

#225 4 years ago

I can understand why people want prices to drop on Congo. The layout, art and audio are excellent, but the theme sucks, so you think it should be $3000 cheaper than the "A" titles. You want to bed the homely sister who's a tiger in the sheets, but you don't want to take her out to Steak and Ale - you're thinking Steak and Shake ought to do it. Well, guess what - the word is out on little sister.

#228 4 years ago

Well, let's be realistic - one sale does not mean a new trend. The OP had a very nice example, but the going rate for a decent Congo is still under $3500, if you can get the owner to sell it. Compare that to the B/W "A" titles - MM, AFM, CC, TOTAN. These are all over $5000 now in decent shape.

#268 4 years ago

I agree that the artwork on Congo's playfield is really well done, and I think the original translite is better than the alternatives.

#279 4 years ago
Quoted from FLpinball:

Greetings! I am the person who bought the $2,700 Congo from Toasterdog. Please believe me when I tell you that there is nothing terrible in my collection.

Nice! That blue Amy tho...

#280 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Congo is by far my favorite pinball machine based off a crappy movie.
Aurich, any new translite has to incorporate Bruce Campbell AND Joe Don "Mitchell" Baker.

Heck, Joe Don Baker deserves his own pin for his breakout role in the smash 1983 hit "Joysticks".

joysticks3bigfixed.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside