Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.
Added: October 16th, 2019
Ended: November 3rd, 2019
Condition: Partially shopped/refurbished
For Sale: A very nice original, and fully functional, Gottlieb Black Hole! This example was bone-stock, and almost-surprisingly clean and unmolested, when I acquired it. It would boot and go into attract mode, but would not start a game, and was exhibiting many of the quirky and common problems associated with almost all of the early and unmodified Gottlieb system 80's. Because of the exceptionally original condition of this machine, I decided to put the effort in to diagnose and modify/remedy the inherent factory issues the old fashioned way, rather than update it with modern replacement boards. The game is now clean, reliable, fully working, and shows very well IMO. A very addicting and fun title, that I debated permanently adding to my lineup; however, as you can see in the background, I simply don't have the space for it at the moment [phone number removed]
The work completed is as follows:
- All PCB edge-connectors were cleaned, inspected, and any suspect pins were removed and replaced w/new;
- All game fuses were tested, and replaced where needed with the correct value/burn type;
- The factory 28V lower playfield GI lighting was modded to illuminate standard 6V 44/47 bulbs (I have no idea why gottlieb made this GI circuit 28V);
- Repaired a factory defect in the credit display that had the tag-ends of the display glass pins intermittently contacting/shorting;
- Added a recommended/secondary ground & +5V source between the MPU and SDB;
- Added the recommended ground modifications from the cabinet PS ground bar to the backbox junction, and ultimately to the MPU, and SDB (i.e. - added the proper grounding that Gottlieb forgot to add from the factory);
- Serviced and adjusted all upper, and lower, playfield pop bumpers;
- Removed and cleaned the upper playfield window - shimmed the window to properly mate with the playfield surface and prevent wear/air balls at the interface;
- Installed brand new Pinball-Life un-ribbed chrome legs;
- Installed new leg bolts & leg levelers; and
- Cleaned/waxed both playfields/plastics.
Please review the pictures for additional condition details, and don't hesitate to reach out with any questions, or if you would like to see supplementary photos with any specific detail. The common playfield wear between the pops, and at the window plastic, is almost non existent on this example. There are no cracked or broken plastics, and all six original displays are bright and clear. A former owner, or angry patron, unfortunately decided to hit the right side of the cabinet with a few shots of blue spray paint, over a couple of the Black Hole letters - may be removable with solvent, I did not attempt it.
The game is located in Central Pennsylvania, just off I-80. Pickup is highly preferred, but shipping is not out of the question if the buyer makes all arraignments, and payment-in-full has cleared my account before the game leaves my possession. I can also recommend a very reasonable amusements shipper I use, and have had very-good luck, who can usually move pins to most any door east of the Mississippi for ~$275.
Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!
The seller ended this ad and indicated the game eventually sold for $ 2,100
Seller contributed to Pinside for selling this item!