(Topic ID: 301817)

For sale: Attack From Mars (Remake - LE)

By Darth-Grayder

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Gribbs
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 5.16.20 PM (resized).png

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

#1 2 years ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

Game - for sale

For sale: Attack From Mars (Remake - LE)

Featured Ad

Added: 2021-10-08 00:22:47 UTC • Ended: October 22nd, 2021
Condition: NIB - New in box (personal)

Price

$ 15,600 (OBO)

Open for offers

New in Box "Attack From Mars" Limited Edition (LE) in black armor trim.

Topper still in crate, sealed.

Resides in a climate controlled warehouse.

Buyer to arrange shipping from Southern California.

Game sold as is - no warranty expressed nor implied.

Thank you!

Item photos

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 5.16.20 PM (resized).png

Photos not showing? Make sure your ad blocker plugin is not hiding them.

Contact

Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!

Seller insights

These are Darth-Grayder's market stats.

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

100.0%

Go to Darth-Grayder's stats page

Listing result

The seller ended this ad and submitted the final sales price into our price database but opted not to disclose the price publicly.

Seller contributed to Pinside for this listing!

Item location

Los Angeles, CA, US

Related shop items!

Interested in this game? Also check out these related Pinside Shops items!

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
FlyLand Designs

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

#2 2 years ago

Damn, the black is not even the desired trim. My has this machine doubled in price!

#3 2 years ago

It is only new in box once. Attack From Mars sure Is a great game, especially an LE.

#4 2 years ago

wow not sold yet ..... shocking !

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

wow not sold yet ..... shocking !

It's only been up here for less than 24 hrs. It will sell.

GLWTS

#6 2 years ago

Doesn't sound like it's a. Good or even a decent price. Sounds like a flipper to me... Which I detest.
So, no good luck is offered.
If this op is a decent person, fair enough... Just hate to see this

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Doesn't sound like it's a. Good or even a decent price. Sounds like a flipper to me... Which I detest.

Not a flipper at 17.6? I think you’re pretty covered there. Market will always dictate which is whyi say list at whatever you want!

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

See what? Test the market? What have they been selling for?

GLWTS

#9 2 years ago

Get the f outta town

#10 2 years ago

Ok; so I haven't been in the market for this game so don't know what a realistic price is for this game.
For me given it's a Remake... in my mind it's worth less than an Original.
I thought originals topped out at around 10k.
So; yeah - I detest flippers.
And this isn't the only NIB he has in his Warehouse. :rolleyes:

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

in my mind it's worth less than an Original

The remake is superior in every way IMO You cant compare a 30 year old pin to a brand new pin. I will take the remake over original every single time. From what I recall b4 all the remakes a fully restored were 15k no? Also think of the person that wants to open up a NIB AFM. Not many of these left im betting. Most of us would look for a HUO AFM at a bit of a lower price. I bet your still looking at 14k for that with the pricing these days. SMH I never bought a pin I did not think was a fair deal. GL OP the market will tell you what this is worth.

#12 2 years ago

Highest I’ve see for AFMr LE HUO has been 12k. This seems really high. Also the green trim looks great on the LE.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

The remake is superior in every way IMO You cant compare a 30 year old pin to a brand new pin. I will take the remake over original every single time.

This sir is where you're opinion isn't really legitimate.
The original is superior because it has user serviceable electronic parts.
A begal board black isn't user serviceable. Nor is it very complex board set. Nor are floaty/slow/spongy flippers.
So; while this is also my opinion - a NIB smell isn't worth the added complexity / non-serviceable parts.
Like the MonsterBash I bought before COVID; I will always take an Original over the Refakes because of this.

My opinion; is I'm glad CCG has a viable business model - but their product is not superior

Added over 3 years ago:

I'm no longer responding to this thread as I do not want to give this flipper/OP free bumps

#15 2 years ago

Thought CGC said they will be making more AFM’s. Not the original LE but perhaps another limited version, and even if it’s not limited they’ll likely offer the topper, display and most/all other upgrades separately. So unless you’re desperate for a NIB why pay $17k! now.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

A begal board black isn't user serviceable. Nor is it very complex board set. Nor are floaty/slow/spongy flippers.
So; while this is also my opinion - a NIB smell isn't worth the added complexity / non-serviceable parts.
Like the MonsterBash I bought before COVID; I will always take an Original over the Refakes because of this.
My opinion; is I'm glad CCG has a viable business model - but their product is not superior

I wholeheartedly disagree. While having a original is a cool novelty and has some “collectibility” the remake are very well made. Less serviceable yes but I think in the long run they will need less service. The flippers are snappy too. Not sure where you get slow spongy from

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

begal board black isn't user serviceable

Doesn't it need to be? It only $65 to replace the board and it pops right out. Dudes that service boards are far and few between also way more downtime, But what do I know. I know If I have to send out a board for service guess when im going to get it back? The answer is not soon enough. So the cost to replace may be a few extra bucks and I get that but I have never had to replace a single thing on any remake yet. Maybe im just lucky. I can tell you this. When you fixing a 35 year old pin your a bit more carful your not disturbing anything unnecessarily so you don't develop another problem. That issue doesn't exist here.

EDIT: Board in general, easy to replace these days unlike 20 years ago and still today the only option is to service them. Im just saying nobody is worried about a $65 board replacement on a new pin that cost 10k+

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from Jecco74:

It's only been up here for less than 24 hrs. It will sell.
GLWTS

When the price is dropped !

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Got it. The original is superior because when it breaks down, you can fix it. But yet the remakes don't have a pattern of parts failing.

I work on my old games too, but that's not how I determine superiority.

The updated bells and whistles with CGC added value for me and made the original version much less desirable. The play experience on the remake is superior.

In fact, a lot of the chatter on the original owners thread is how to mod them like the remakes.

The older games might be cheaper to repair. Doesn't make 'em better.

#20 2 years ago

No matter what, I'm sure the OP is grateful for all the banter keeping his ad relevant!

#21 2 years ago

I bet the buyer will be extremely satisfied. You know hard this is to find?

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I bought a like new no play CGC MB specifically so I could trade it for an original.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

Dudes that service boards are far and few between

Are they, though? Or is it just that we don't all offer our services to the general public? I think you'd be surprised if you ask around, who does and doesn't work on boards.

90% of board issues can be handled by a hobbyist and don't NEED to be sent to some expert.

It's far too early to know how the CGC and even Spike 2 games are going to hold up over 30 years, so it's pointless to make comparisons in that regard.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

When the price is dropped !

No need to lower the price. It's listed as OBO.

I've asked sellers if they would consider $3000 less on high end pins in the past and purchased them for less. Some compromised and some accepted. I would bet that a lot of these high priced pins sell for less than the listed price based off my experience.

#25 2 years ago

To buy something and let it sit in a warehouse for years, all in the hopes of making a few grand.....

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from Flyfalcons:

To buy something and let it sit in a warehouse for years, all in the hopes of making a few grand.....

Why do you pretend to know what the sellers situation and motives are?

Darth’s a great guy. Buy with confidence!

#27 2 years ago

Of course there's always a reason.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

The remake is superior in every way IMO You cant compare a 30 year old pin to a brand new pin. I will take the remake over original every single time.

I would take an original and send it to HEP and have it restored for this kind of money, and I will take that over a remake every single time!

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Got it. The original is superior because when it breaks down, you can fix it. But yet the remakes don't have a pattern of parts failing.
I work on my old games too, but that's not how I determine superiority.
The updated bells and whistles with CGC added value for me and made the original version much less desirable. The play experience on the remake is superior.
In fact, a lot of the chatter on the original owners thread is how to mod them like the remakes.
The older games might be cheaper to repair. Doesn't make 'em better.

I've owned a HEP AFM and an AFMr. No comparison...the originals play better. The AFMr topper rocked, everything else was "meh".

#30 2 years ago

My original from a route years ago was so much better than a brand new AFMrLE. Smooth, responsive, amazing. But when they run more classics, if the price is reasonable, I’d pick one up.

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Ha Ha keep believing it.... boy, just when you think you have seen it all....

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I've owned a HEP AFM and an AFMr. No comparison...the originals play better. The AFMr topper rocked, everything else was "meh".

My experience is the same, I had an MMr LE I sold it and now have a HEP restored MM and I am so much happier with the way the original plays. Crazy Levi explained the difference best in his comments below and I feel the same way about it. Again I’m not wanting to get into a Pepsi challenge here with anyone, the remakes are awesome and I will still own them in the future, especially with games like cactus Canyon as there are so few originals in existence.

GLWTS to the OP... see long CGC remake thoughts in post below from Levi

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Over the past several years, I have played a decent sampling of CGC remake machines, mostly Attack From Mars, which is not only my favorite game, but has been omnipresent at locations and in tournaments since it was released in 2018.
Like many, I always wondered why the games ship with such a strange flipper alignment. For all the effort and expense that went in to producing a high-quality reproduction that looks just like the original and seems to be of high build quality, I always thought it was odd that the flipper stroke is much shorter than the original production machine, with flippers that appear to reach only about 60 to 70 percent or so has high as the original flippers when fully extended.
As a tournament player, this required a significant adjustment. The ball was more difficult to trap now, and center area shots were also changed drastically and more difficult to hit.
On the other side, orbit and side ramps were now much easier, or at least much more common with a "missed" shot. And, successful ski passes were incredibly easy, with even the slowest inlane ball rolling lazily up a fully extended flipper and drifting gracefully over to the other flipper.
Tournament players would frequently note this, and sometimes it was used in a "the remakes aren't as good as the originals because the flippers are weird" argument. My response was always, "well that's true, but if I owned the game I'd just fix the flipper stroke/alignment, like I have to do the majority of the time I get a used game into my shop." Still, it was always in the back of my mind how strange it was that these remakes, apparently designed to original spec, and using similar parts as the originals, would be so strangely set up from the factory.
This month, I acquired an AFM SE remake, and to be honest, I did it pretty cheaply. As it's my favorite game, I was intrigued by the idea of keeping this mint condition AFM and dumping my well-loved "players" example that I've had for many years, while still coming out ahead a generous amount in the cash department. With the gorgeous, mint condition playfield, cabinet, and everything else, and with the larger color screen and upgraded graphics and the greatly improved sound/speakers, it was an exciting development that this machine basically fell into my lap.
I set up my new AFM, did a light cleaning, and played a ball. I was immediately struck by how short the flipper stroke was. While I expected it, this one was even more severe than other examples I'd played, and the stroke was uneven, with the right flipper stroke even shorter than the left. I turned the game off and went about fixing the alignment, as I always figured I'd do if I ever ended up with one of these remakes.
So, I lifted the playfield, loosened the WPC-style pawls, and raised the flippers 10-15 degrees or so to make them extend to the same height as my original AFM machine. Then, I bent back the plunger stop brackets slightly with pliers to extend the stroke, and make the flippers drop back to normal alignment in their resting state. The whole operation took me about 10 minutes, and now I was ready to play. And play I did, for an hour. Later that night, I had a group of friends over, and we played it all night. After they all left, I cleaned up all the empties, turned off all my other machines, (giving the remake ample time to chill out and cool down) and played another game of the new AFM. Then, for the first time that day, I played my original.
The difference, frankly, was night and day. The original AFM flippers (and keep in mind these haven't been rebuilt in about 5 years) were incredibly snappy, with a consistent strength, power, and feel that distributed equal power to all of the shots whether in single ball or multiball play. Both side shots and up the middle shots were lightning fast, accurate, and consistent.
In comparison, the remake flippers felt sluggish, and inconsistent ESPECIALLY on the wide shots. The wider the shot (the left and right ramp, or the oribits), the spongier and slower the shots felt. This was much more noticeable in multiball play, with weaker shots, and even an occasional partial "collapse" of an extended flipper, like you'd see sometimes on an old Data East or Sega game. The flippers, in effect, reminded me much more of Spooky flippers than classic W/B flippers. It was nothing I couldn't get used to or work with, but I'd say the play and flipper feel was inferior to the original. Now, that's opinion, and any particular player may feel one way or the other about it, but for me, the conclusion was inescapable: At the very least, the flippers on the remakes vs. the originals is noticeably DIFFERENT, whether or not the owner corrects the flipper stroke to original spec.
Playing both of the games some more, while at the same time getting a little more stoned (hey it's legal now, I had no choice!) I came to another conclusion: The reason these CGC games ship with such a short, non-orginal flipper stroke/alignment is to hide the deficiencies and weakness of whatever is driving their flipper system. By keeping the stroke short, the biggest difference - the mushiness on wide shots - is effectively hidden/eliminated. The shots all WANT to go wide with this alignment, and orbit shots and ramp shots are "easier" and snappier, even if the middle shots more difficult and now only a cinch from a trap. When the stroke distance is corrected to accurately ape that of the original 1995 build, this sleight of hand is uncovered.
These are my conclusions and opinions. I'm wondering if anybody else has tried to correct the flipper stroke on these remakes, or has any other nuanced, educated opinions on this. I understand that people may get defensive or agitated, but that's not the intention. I would have been extremely interested in reading about this from someone else, as I've always wondered why these games ship with such a strange, non original spec flipper stroke. Now I think I know.
In the end, my decision was made very quickly. As much as I loved owning a "brand new," mint-condition, sparkling clean and smooth example of my favorite game, with a fancy screen and richer sound, it was simply no contest. I listed and sold the remake in 2 days (during Pinside's blackout) and kept my "beater," but original, and original playing, AFM. And I'll probably have it for life.

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Of course you own originals of every game CGC remade. The originals will always be cooler in my book, but not worth it for purchasing when the remakes are just as good if not better for reliability and gameplay/features

#34 2 years ago

It is nice to have a new or remake game. You get a great play field and looks great, plays great. I have a remake. I love it. It is a show piece.
However, the machine/flippers do not in any way feel like a piece of furniture with their gameplay. Yes, spongy. Yes, like more mechanical, clunky. This is a great example of AFM. It does camand a good price.

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Ha Ha yeah.

I've read about efforts to change to RGB leds, reproducing the topper, and enlarging the display.

Ha Ha. I'll keep believing it. Ha Ha.

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

in my mind it's worth less than an Original.

Quoted from 6S3NC3:

I’m going to 100% agree with Zitt here. The original is by far the better choice. Don’t get me wrong, I love that they remade it. That was what dropped the price of the originals enough for me to afford one. But in the end, it’s all good pinball.

#37 2 years ago

Listen - I LOVE my Chicago Gaming 'AFMr LE'...the topper, the giant display and the additional saucer lighting are really cool, and the game plays fast and fun. HOWEVER, I don't know how I would feel about how it plays if I had been used to an original first. I have restored Williams 'Medieval Madness' and 'Monster Bash', and when I played a Chicago Gaming 'Monster Bash LE' (thinking I might end up getting it and keeping it instead of my original) it only took me ONE GAME to know that the feel (at least for the Monster Bash) of the gameplay was just 'janky' and 'cheap' - the way the ball clanked around in there, the whole thing just didn't feel nearly as solid as my original.

I am NOT saying the Chicago Gaming remakes are cheaply made. I think it is a good product, and I love my AFMr LE (and I'm in on a Cactus Canyon LE), but if you are used to playing an original and then move to the remake, prepare to be disappointed.

My 2 cents.

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

It's far too early to know how the CGC and even Spike 2 games are going to hold up over 30 years,

More importantly, how available will these non servicable boards be in 30 years?
The quantities of games sold now is nowhere near what were sold in the old days. That means less demand for these boards and high manufacturing costs to reproduce.

#39 2 years ago

I'll sell my imamaculate OG AFM for the low price of $25,000 CAD.

No low ballers.....I know what I have!!

#40 2 years ago

Lol at 50+ year olds fretting over parts 30 years from now. I know at that point i wont care at all.

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

More importantly, how available will these non servicable boards be in 30 years?

I don't generally consider 30 years in the future as a valid factor in my game buying decision.

In 30 years, it won't be important to me at all.

But based on the previous 30 years, it's likely technology to repair will keep up.

#42 2 years ago

A nice original is always better than a brand new remake in my opinion.

#43 2 years ago

Yeesh I haven’t seen the remake vs. original argument in like 4 days. You guys are slacking off!

#44 2 years ago
Quoted from Jecco74:

No need to lower the price. It's listed as OBO

Ok then you can take my 6K

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Yeesh I haven’t seen the remake vs. original argument in like 4 days. You guys are slacking off!

So sorry to disappoint you. You must have forgotten to send me your list of pre-approved Pinside discussion topics.

#46 2 years ago

The remakes are built pretty well, but not as well built as the originals. I have observed flimsier parts and cost cutting. The newness is nice. I'd take a remake over a beat up original, but I'd take a clean original over a remake. The "extra features" many claim to make the remakes better are no more than personal preference. Personally, I think the big screen is too big and the RGB GI lighting is clown puke, but that's just me.

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from Gribbs:

So sorry to disappoint you. You must have forgotten to send me your list of pre-approved Pinside discussion topics.

Hah! No disappointment here. I like to play pinball not argue about it. Please continue to beat this dead horse in someone’s FS ad.

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Ha Ha yeah.

I've read about efforts to change to RGB leds, reproducing the topper, and enlarging the display.

Ha Ha. I'll keep believing it. Ha Ha.

Yeah I remember you. You were the guy that was showed the door for going on and on and on and on about the remakes on the originals thread. You want to live in your own little world on here that's cool, but we're not buying it... literally!

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Yeah I remember you. You were the guy that was showed the door for going on and on and on and on about the remakes on the originals thread. You want to live in your own little world on here that's cool, but we're not buying it... literally!

Yeah sorry but I don’t remember you.

I must've made a pretty big impact on you to still be upset talking about it here.

People have different preferences. Glad you like your original. Doesn't bug me like it appears to bother you. It's as if you're trying to convince yourself about your game.

As long as you like it, that's great. No need to stress if everyone doesn't feel the same.

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Hah! No disappointment here. I like to play pinball not argue about it. Please continue to beat this dead horse in someone’s FS ad.

...using the term "Beat a Dead Horse". Way to go 'meta' on the concept of someone repeating something ad nauseam!

As for feeling the need to come out on a public forum and let someone else know that their opinion (as someone who owns originals and a remake) is not needed because they feel enough has already been discussed? If you are comfortable being the 'Speech Police", that is your call. I understand there is about half the country who feels entitled to this kind of behavior, but I will go down on the ship of "Free Speech".

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 79.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 119.99
FlyLand Designs

$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-attack-from-mars-remake-le-98 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.