• Latest reply 4 years ago by Dayhuff
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0173 (resized).JPG
IMG_0095 (resized).JPG

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

#1 4 years ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

Game - for sale

For sale: Alien Star

Added: 2019-05-05 16:09:00 UTC • Ended: May 23rd, 2019
Condition: Used - shows wear, needs some work

0 Pinsiders added this ad to their favorites.

Price

$ 2,400 (OBO)

Open for offers

Item description

Working game but could use a shop job and a few switches tweaked. Playfield does show some wear in the bonus area, plastics are all good. Backglass has to small flake spots at the very bottom but is otherwise very nice. Boards are clean with the battery mounted off the board. Cabinet is nice as is the coin door. Not looking for trades nor can I ship this game, pick up only.

Item photos

No images have been added to this ad listing yet.

Contact

Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!

Seller insights

These are Dayhuff's market stats.

bronze Seller

Dayhuff has Pinside Bronze seller status!

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

100.0%

Go to Dayhuff's stats page

Listing result

The seller ended this ad and submitted the final sales price into our price database but opted not to disclose the price publicly.

Seller contributed to Pinside for this listing!

Item location

Battle Creek, MI, US

#2 4 years ago

I doubt this will last long. It seems as though I get PMs asking if I want to sell mine within minutes of posting a picture of my lineup.

Good luck with your sale. Alien Star is one of my favorites.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I doubt this will last long. It seems as though I get PMs asking if I want to sell mine within minutes of posting a picture of my lineup.
Good luck with your sale. Alien Star is one of my favorites.

He will need some pictures if he wants to sell...

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

He will need some pictures if he wants to sell...

Yeah , isn't this like double+ the going rate? Hard to sling at top dollar without pics

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Yeah , isn't this like double+ the going rate? Hard to sling at top dollar without pics

I don't think Alien Star is a $1k game at this point...

#7 4 years ago

Potential buyers asking for pictures?

John

#8 4 years ago

2500+ is actually typical for a nice Alien Star currently.

but if John wants to sell then photos are the norm...

Honestly not sure why anyone would post any game FS and not post photos? Esp since I am guessing the pf wear and backglass flaking is not as bad as most are imagining.

#9 4 years ago

Couldn't agree more Hilton. Problem is the game is folded, wrapped and standing on end. I'd be more then happy to get pictures posted if someone was seriously interested in purchasing the game but to just see what another Alien Star looks like then it's not worth the hassle at this point, plus space is tight here at the moment. To many games needing a new home.

John

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

I don't think Alien Star is a $1k game at this point...

I thought it hovered around $1k. $2k+ is news to me I've passed on several around $1k just because I wasn't particularly interested in the title.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I thought it hovered around $1k. $2k+ is news to me I've passed on several around $1k just because I wasn't particularly interested in the title.

I had the feeling they were closer to 2k than 1k, it's hard to know with so few sales to track. I would have passed on one in the past, but now I kinda want one and would jump at $1000 now.

#12 4 years ago

A nice one sold for $1,200 by Jiggly Martian on the Allentown thread. This seems pricey to me.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

A nice one sold for $1,200 by Jiggly Martian on the Allentown thread. This seems pricey to me.

That one looked good, I would have bought it at that price. I may have been off with my guesses.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

you regularly quote the lowest prices I ever hear anyone quote and you have been quoting them for years now...

If you are really finding these prices then you could make a lot of friends or a healthy side hustle with very little effort flipping some games...
also gotta love when you see a moderator quoting this in yet another FS thread but still no links to back it up

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

you regularly quote the lowest prices I ever hear anyone quote and you have been quoting them for years now...
If you are really finding these prices then you could make a lot of friends or a healthy side hustle with very little effort flipping some games...

The northeast has a healthy number of pins that go up for sale in general. Prices might be higher in your area than they are around here.

Even when I buy at the prices I share, I rarely get ahead in this area. Maybe I should ship games to your area, lol

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The northeast has a healthy number of pins that go up for sale in general. Prices might be higher in your area than they are around here.
Even when I buy at the prices I share, I rarely get ahead in this area. Maybe I should ship games to your area, lol

I will take 3 AlienStars in the condition advertised for 1k, pay for shipping, and give you $500 as a finders fee.

Just let me know when you have them...

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I will take 3 AlienStars in the condition advertised for 1k, pay for shipping, and give you $500 as a finders fee.
Just let me know when you have them...

Well, if I find another one, I know who to go to.

#18 4 years ago

@whysnow price pumping a pin he owns in a for sale thread for his own benefit and not the seller’s...nothing new.

#19 4 years ago

Maybe other states are different but I wouldn’t dream of finding one for less than $2000 in Michigan.

I saw this game in person at PATZ. It looks really really good except for the small area in the bonus. I don’t think the price is crazy at all.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

That one sold in about 10 minutes. I'd say Jiggly Martian left some serious meat on that bone.

If I had seen it, I would have immediately PMd him an "I'll take it." That game also needed a bit of work if I recall.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

@whysnow price pumping a pin he owns in a for sale thread for his own benefit and not the seller’s...nothing new.

yeah...

Always for my benefit.. cause I sell lots of games?

I am looking to BUY an Alienstar! Why the hell would I be price pumping it?
I am just realistic and pay attention to prices on games I actually like and may buy. Gets old seeing people shit on sale threads without a single link to a recent sale. It is entirely one thing to try and down play a game by a couple hundred and brag about a good deal you saw someone else get. It is a whole nother level when you are claiming the FMV is <50% the asking price in someones FS thread, but then can't even do the right thing and back it up.

To me personally it is quite a bit worse when you are doing it to someone that has been a figure in the hobby for so many years and an all around good guy like Dayhuff is.

If John had some pictures up then I may be trying to figure out when I can make a trip to visit him again.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That one sold in about 10 minutes. I'd say Jiggly Martian left some serious meat on that bone.
If I had seen it, I would have immediately PMd him an "I'll take it." That game also needed a bit of work if I recall.

you know it is bad when Levi and I agree on something...

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

yeah...
Always for my benefit.. cause I sell lots of games?
I am looking to BUY an Alienstar! Why the hell would I be price pumping it?
I am just realistic and pay attention to prices on games I actually like and may buy. Gets old seeing people shit on sale threads without a single link to a recent sale. It is entirely one thing to try and down play a game by a couple hundred and brag about a good deal you saw someone else get. It is a whole nother level when you are claiming the FMV is &lt;50% the asking price in someones FS thread, but then can't even do the right thing and back it up.
To me personally it is quite a bit worse when you are doing it to someone that has been a figure in the hobby for so many years and an all around good guy like Dayhuff is.
If John had some pictures up then I may be trying to figure out when I can make a trip to visit him again.

I did not in any way indicate or claim what I feel an Alien Star is worth...you made a serious amount of assumptions regarding my post about you. The point of my post was to comment on you posting in for sale threads price pumping pins you own. You’ve done it countless times with pins such as Cyclopes, Alien Star, etc. along with the standard Hilton claim of how many you’ll buy at these “giveaway” prices suggested by others...this is what gets old. Yes, you may be looking to BUY one, but you left out the part that YOU ALREADY OWN ONE. So be honest and say you are thinking about maybe buying another for your “mirror-image” project...don’t distort the truth. You just seem to like making yourself feel better by talking up the value of pins you own. My original post had nothing to do with knocking @dayhuff, his for sale ad, or trying to lower the perceived value of his pin...I truly hope he gets what he wants for it!

@dayhuff...GLWS

#24 4 years ago

Come on now fella's there's no need to fight over little old me. I was just stating that hey if there was a serious buyer out there that was looking for Alien Star and didn't want to just add some pictures to his collection (because we all know what an Alien Star looks like) that I could get it set up and send pictures and show him anything he wants. But, if I don't' need to then I wont until that time comes. If it doesn't sell then eventually I'll have to break it down again and put it up in the garage and do it all over again at another time for someone else. Yes I'm feeling old at the moment. If anyone out there is interested in buying this game then send me a private email and I'll post pics. Price wise, I'm not stuck on it obviously but it's one of those hard games to put a price on and I had to start someplace, right? I do have one picture of it already that proves I do own one.

John

IMG_0095 (resized).JPGIMG_0095 (resized).JPG
#25 4 years ago

I paid close to $2k for mine back in March of 2018. The price isn’t out of line depending on the condition.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've passed on several around $1k just because I wasn't particularly interested in the title.

I’m in for the $1,000 Alien Star too if you can put me on the list.

#26 4 years ago

We need a couple sales to determine the price. As an Alien Star Owner...well kind of...I’m curious to know.

The one for $1,200 at Pinfest presold before I could even send a message.

Hope the seller posts the final price publically.

#27 4 years ago

Cool idea: Maybe the people who really are passionate about this discussion should start a new thread?

Good luck with the sale!

#28 4 years ago

If seller was willing to ship this would probably be sold already. I am in the market for one as well you never see this title in Canada and would love to showcase one in my tournament next year. It is pricey? Sure maybe a little but it does say OBO so make the guy a deal. Not sure why every for sale thread has to make someone feel bad about putting a machine for sale. Pretty soon there will be no one who will want to post machine on here for fear of shame.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

We need a couple sales to determine the price. As an Alien Star Owner...well kind of...I’m curious to know.
The one for $1,200 at Pinfest presold before I could even send a message.
Hope the seller posts the final price publically.

If you want a recent sales reference I recently (February) traded for a one in the Midwest at $1500 trade value for a light project with a moderate amount of playfield wear but really nice playfield and backglass. The game needed a new MPU (intermittent boot issues) and pop bumper boards (pops were all dead). So I'm in over $1800 on mine which has a below average playfield. Game plays great now and is a lot of fun! Good luck with the sale.

If another one with a nicer playfield popped up for $1500 or less I would grab it and sell mine.

#30 4 years ago

sorry, one sat on facebook in the denver area for a few weeks for $900 a couple months ago so thats where I thought this was over priced as the Denver market is pretty hot //shrug

gltws its a fun game for sure!

#31 4 years ago

sorry, one sat on facebook in the denver area for a few weeks for $900 a couple months ago so thats where I thought this was over priced as the Denver market is pretty hot //shrug

It could be an area thing but I know around here a $900 Alien Star would sell in about 2 minutes!

I've been looking for one since it was featured at PAPA 4-5 years back.

#32 4 years ago

Hilton and I were on the hunt for an alien star at the same time in the last couple years. Always loved playing the game at papa. That being said, I searched high and low to start and came up dry. I messaged 30-40 listed owners on pinside to see if they would sell. 5-7 people said that their game was in players condition to blown out playfield, and mentioned that even that being the case they wouldn’t come cheap. I asked what that meant and the range was from 1600-2400, for a players game at best.

I was on the fence, then I got two leads from other sources that lead me to 3 alien stars. First deal was two complete games that would need to be made one. The other was a home brew resto that wasn’t terrible, and the cab was one of the nicest I’ve laid my own eyes on(it even had a crack in bb). That’s the game I currently own. The other two shipped north to michigan.

I’d say the asking price is on target, or if anything he could raise price based on whatever demand he wants to hold out for.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Every. Damn. Time.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from pins4life33:

If seller was willing to ship this would probably be sold already.

Very true, the last guy who listed an alien star on pinside backed out and decided to keep it.

I was looking for one of these for a long time, would of paid 2400. One just happened to pop up on craigslist, it was out in a jacked up shed with a broken floor. The game didn't start up, but somehow overall it was in great shape.
The owner lived in a mobile home with a big confederate flag flying on the property and a bull dog named Rebel. We had to lay plywood down to wheel it over the muddy yard to get it in the truck. For $900 bucks, it was well worth it... Still consider it one of the better deals since I've been in the hobby.

Its supply and demand, so who knows... maybe all the people who want them have them already?

#35 4 years ago

I played his Alien Star at PATZ show. Play wise was spot on as everything worked great. Sounds and displays 100%. Some plastics bent as some are on almost all the machines I've ever played for some reason.

John's a great buyer / seller. His wife's cookie baking skills top notch also.

#36 4 years ago

Thanks guys for understanding but still no interest from anyone. Perhaps its the wrong time of the year or the price is to high, who knows? The pinball market is a strange and wonderful place...LOL. All games sell sooner or later, high priced or low priced. I'm not holding out per say but I'm not giving a game away either. Shipping a game is just not worth the hassle and the last two I had shipped here to me to stay in the collection (both very high dollar games and very sought after) I literally couldn't find for sale any place else after years of searching so if I wanted one it had to get shipped......we'll it was a nightmare on both of them. One was damaged beyond repair and the other was lost and I ended up having to go get it myself once it was found. Those are just two examples, I have the worst luck when it comes to shipping anything no matter how hard I make it not to be. Playfields lost forever, games damaged..., you name it. Funny I never had a problem when it came to shipping backglasses though....but that doesn't mean I want to ship those either, back then I did what I had to do to make the sale but things are different now and shipping is just not going to happen again. I might meet someone half way depending on the distance and the circumstances so that is an option I guess.

This Alien Star needs a little TLC but nothing major, a shop job and a couple of switch adjustments, just typical stuff. Yes there is playfield wear but perhaps someday the new playfields will come out and it could be swapped or perhaps someone will like it the way it is? I'm on the list for one and that was back even before I ever owned this game, I just thought it'd be cool to hang it on the wall but if they come through with them and I have it and the game both at the same time I'll offer it with the game.

Sounds like everyone has a different story to tell when it comes to price and condition of there own game, sometimes that's just the way things go. If there is no real interest for a while I'm fine with that and it can sit around here until it does go but like I said, sooner or later they all sell either high priced or not. I've got the CBW and Time Machine for sale as well and no interest there either....., all three are wrapped up and on end sorta out of the way but not out of my way. Heck it's not like I haven't had the basement aisle's plugged up before......, just as need them cleaned out by the first Saturday in November is all...... Worst case is they get stored in the garage. NOTE: The picture below is not games I have for sale but rather how things can get a bit tight down here in a short amount of time.....LOL.

John
IMG_0173 (resized).JPGIMG_0173 (resized).JPG

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Shipping a game is just not worth the hassle and the last two I had shipped here to me to stay in the collection (both very high dollar games and very sought after) I literally couldn't find for sale any place else after years of searching so if I wanted one it had to get shipped......we'll it was a nightmare on both of them. One was damaged beyond repair and the other was lost and I ended up having to go get it myself once it was found.

That sucks,
Every time damage has occurred on any of my freights its always been attributed to a fork lift. Getting money back on a claim isn't always that easy.

#38 4 years ago

Takes 10 mins to set up this game, not taking pix and asking high market rate is just bad marketing on your behalf. The amount of time you took to reply on this thread you could have taken 15 pix and uploaded them all, good luck with the sale... yeah sure, you need that "interested buyer" though, like PT Barnum said...

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Thanks guys for understanding but still no interest from anyone. Perhaps its the wrong time of the year or the price is to high, who knows? The pinball market is a strange and wonderful place...LOL. All games sell sooner or later, high priced or low priced. I'm not holding out per say but I'm not giving a game away either. Shipping a game is just not worth the hassle and the last two I had shipped here to me to stay in the collection (both very high dollar games and very sought after) I literally couldn't find for sale any place else after years of searching so if I wanted one it had to get shipped......we'll it was a nightmare on both of them. One was damaged beyond repair and the other was lost and I ended up having to go get it myself once it was found. Those are just two examples, I have the worst luck when it comes to shipping anything no matter how hard I make it not to be. Playfields lost forever, games damaged..., you name it. Funny I never had a problem when it came to shipping backglasses though....but that doesn't mean I want to ship those either, back then I did what I had to do to make the sale but things are different now and shipping is just not going to happen again. I might meet someone half way depending on the distance and the circumstances so that is an option I guess.
This Alien Star needs a little TLC but nothing major, a shop job and a couple of switch adjustments, just typical stuff. Yes there is playfield wear but perhaps someday the new playfields will come out and it could be swapped or perhaps someone will like it the way it is? I'm on the list for one and that was back even before I ever owned this game, I just thought it'd be cool to hang it on the wall but if they come through with them and I have it and the game both at the same time I'll offer it with the game.
Sounds like everyone has a different story to tell when it comes to price and condition of there own game, sometimes that's just the way things go. If there is no real interest for a while I'm fine with that and it can sit around here until it does go but like I said, sooner or later they all sell either high priced or not. I've got the CBW and Time Machine for sale as well and no interest there either....., all three are wrapped up and on end sorta out of the way but not out of my way. Heck it's not like I haven't had the basement aisle's plugged up before......, just as need them cleaned out by the first Saturday in November is all...... Worst case is they get stored in the garage. NOTE: The picture below is not games I have for sale but rather how things can get a bit tight down here in a short amount of time.....LOL.
John
[quoted image]

Is that a Monster Bash with a Bone Busters topper?

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Is that a Monster Bash with a Bone Busters topper?

Haha bet it is, his collection has alot of mismatched toppers if I recall.

#41 4 years ago

Sale pending.

John

#42 4 years ago

Pretty sure that was a fake ad?

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Sale pending.
John

Congrats. Figured it would not last long. Even without pics.

#44 4 years ago

Pics , or it didn’t happen .

#45 4 years ago

Game is sold. I still have a really nice CBW for sale that needs to go soon.
Thanks,
John

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-alien-star-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.