(Topic ID: 292392)

For Discussion... With Topper Mania, are 90s toppers affected (WH2O? Etc)

By altan

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by woody76
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“For Discussion... With Topper Mania, are 90s toppers affected (WH2O? Etc)”

• Did you click on this button? 2 votes
    12%
  • Or did you click on this other button? 3 votes
    18%
  • Or perhaps accidentally clicked on the wrong button? 12 votes
    71%

(17 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0182 (resized).JPG
IMG_0187 (resized).JPG
IMG_0129 (resized).JPG
IMG_0208 (resized).JPG
IMG_0207 (resized).JPG
IMG_0174 (resized).JPG
F8CC28F2-7822-4EEA-8820-4E936D98AC13.gif
IMG_0172 (resized).JPG
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

With the current topper mania (aka, $$$), what do people think an original 90s toppers are affected? White Water topper should be valued at what?

I think they were going for $700 or so before the mania occurred... $4000 now?

Interested to hear opinions. Maybe someone will have a good argument that topper mania pricing only applies to more recent games. Perhaps someone will argue that it applies even more to older games that have proven over time the topper is highly unique.

BTW, I'd include the light board and wiring along with the light activated reflective water and the plastic box as the definition of "topper"

#2 2 years ago

Awww... thought there might be some interesting conversation around whether classic toppers are included in this recent price swing.

1 week later
#3 2 years ago

Adding nails to this thread's coffin

#4 2 years ago

I was just talking about this topic with @jokerpoker.

Lo and behold you had the same question 10 days before me.

With the topper craze going on, I would say any classic topper like WH20, should rise with the tide as well. How much were the WH20 toppers going for before? $700? So maybe $2k now?

#5 2 years ago

Just curious, would you sell your WH20 topper for $4k?

It would be tough for me even at $4k. I don't think I could part with mine.

Helping to remove some of the nails...

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

It would be tough for me even at $4k. I don't think I could part with mine.
Helping to remove some of the nails...

I am thinking of selling my extra one. I had kept it in case I get another Whitewater, but don't think that will happen. I have no idea what they worth.

#7 2 years ago

Back in '93 could you buy a WH20 without a topper? I always assumed if one didn't have a topper it was because someone removed it.

#8 2 years ago

That's a good question. What a shame...but 4k is 4k
Edit: although I guess it isn't because it takes value away from your game when you sell it

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

That's a good question. What a shame...but 4k is 4k
Edit: although I guess it isn't because it takes value away from your game when you sell it

Your edit is exactly what I was thinking.

#10 2 years ago

I think most of the classic toppers had (and may still have) repros available. I know I replaced my WW topper with a new one when I did the playfield swap. BTW WW is the best topper of all time, IT BLOWS.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I think most of the classic toppers had (and may still have) repros available. I know I replaced my WW topper with a new one when I did the playfield swap. BTW WW is the best topper of all time, IT BLOWS.

WW is the best/most important topper bc without it, the game is incomplete. It only says WW on the topper so it's needed, otherwise you're playing a Wet Willie's. And those originals shine like ocean

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I think most of the classic toppers had (and may still have) repros available...

Not Wh20, hence our convo.

#13 2 years ago

$4K for a WW topper?? Holy smokes, are you kidding me!?

John

IMG_0172 (resized).JPGIMG_0172 (resized).JPG
#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I am thinking of selling my extra one. I had kept it in case I get another Whitewater, but don't think that will happen. I have no idea what they worth.

Since you have an extra, it would be an interesting to put it up for $4k OBO and see what happens. The market will tell us for sure.

#15 2 years ago

I've never understood this. I had an Addams Family for years, never had the topper. Never wanted the topper- because I liked the uniform look of the cabinet next to the other games it sat next to. Eventually I removed the flasher bulbs on the top of the backbox (took me a while to figure out they were there!) lol

I second the question for "were any of these pins, like WH20, available without the topper new?"

As for people paying "real" money for toppers and mods (where "real" money is defined by me as enough to buy another pinball machine) I just cannot understand it. The original ones at least are designed to be cheap; White Water is literally just a cardboard artwork with lighting, correct? TAF was a vacuum formed plastic with some stickers on it. I guess if I ever own a Whirlwind, I'll have to think hard about whether I stay true to my own rules for pinball asthetics and remove the topper, or keep it because of the fan that was supposed to be part of the experience.. The FishTales fish topper seems like that could be kinda pricey. There's some new Stern toppers (like the deadpool one that gives you a thumbs up or thumbs down) that I've seen for $1600.00.. Really?! That's a complete, working game even in this inflated COVID time!

Sorry for taking us off topic. I could see 90's era pins being expensive for stuff (again, like FishTales) that might contain un-obtainium parts. For like a TAF- this seems too easy to reproduce cheaply to be big money? Since I'm not a big topper guy, I have no idea what actual costs are- except for Marcospec which has cloud toppers and whirlwind toppers- both for <$200 bucks...

#16 2 years ago

"For Trade: WH20 Topper for LZ Pro and $1000"

#17 2 years ago

Does this mean my white water just became an 8k machine?
Fish Tales, White Water, Addams Family, Whirlwind, the original classic toppers.

#18 2 years ago

Since you have an extra, it would be an interesting to put it up for $4k OBO and see what happens. The market will tell us for sure.

I don't think it is in 4k territory. It is used, bit of bubbling and the plastic isn't pure white...but it still works and looks presntable. I don't even know who to sell it at this point. Everything about ebay scares me.

#19 2 years ago

Not $4k. A NOS one sold not long ago for $1500, beat up used ones are going for $400 on ebay.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Not $4k. A NOS one sold not long ago for $1500, beat up used ones are going for $400 on ebay.

Would you sell your topper for $1500? If not, what is your 'yank it off and speed to the post office' price. Just curious.

#21 2 years ago

Would you sell your topper for $1500? If not, what is your 'yank it off and speed to the post office' price. Just curious.

for sure $4k, but I think $1500 is fair. A decent white water with no topper will bring $4-4500 these days. A decent players game for $6k with topper.

#22 2 years ago

What happened to make toppers go to these insane prices? Just a couple months ago you could still buy SW toppers at distributors. It’s not like they sold out immediately. They were available for a long time.

That’s not really the topic here. I just don’t get it.

As for classic topper pricing, I don’t think they would be worth more because if you want a topper then you buy a Wh20 or WW with a topper. The vast majority of games that came with toppers, still have working toppers. Where as new sterns with toppers are in the minority.

#23 2 years ago

I think it's the influx of new pin heads. Demand goes up, price goes up.

#24 2 years ago

I think it's the influx of new pin heads. Demand goes up, price goes up.

Yeah. And some are truly pinheads. At least with impulse control. Geezus...

F8CC28F2-7822-4EEA-8820-4E936D98AC13.gifF8CC28F2-7822-4EEA-8820-4E936D98AC13.gif
#25 2 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

What happened to make toppers go to these insane prices? Just a couple months ago you could still buy SW toppers at distributors. It’s not like they sold out immediately. They were available for a long time.
That’s not really the topic here. I just don’t get it.
As for classic topper pricing, I don’t think they would be worth more because if you want a topper then you buy a Wh20 or WW with a topper. The vast majority of games that came with toppers, still have working toppers. Where as new sterns with toppers are in the minority.

Too much money and not enough common sense.

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from altan:

Adding nails to this thread's coffin

Now the topic is on fire!

#27 2 years ago

https://pinballbasement.com/collections/nos-parts/products/nos-white-water-topper-decal
This is just the decal and it sold for roughly $1,500.

Depending on what else is missing, you may still need to add:

2x light boards $36 each
https://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/white-water-8-lamp-pcb-board.html

Chase light PCB $90
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-15761

Dome $110
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8653

Decal support $40
https://littleshopofgames.com/shop/toppers/white-water-topper-decal-support-03-8745-wh20-bds/

Metal Waterfall Light Shield $XX
??

Overall cost after you source it all will be around $2K. Crazy, but not out of line with what people are spending on modern Stern ones.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from sharkey1331:

White Water is literally just a cardboard artwork with lighting, correct?

It's a bit more, thanks to the unique foil process. As stated above, price is between $400 and $1500, and no wonder why: seems reproduction is not feasible without the original tool.
You can buy a new Whirlwind, TAF topper easily.

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

It's a bit more, thanks to the unique foil process. As stated above, price is between $400 and $1500, and no wonder why: seems reproduction is not feasible without the original tool.
You can buy a new Whirlwind, TAF topper easily.

There have been at least 4 or 5 people who have tried to reproduce the effect over the years with little to no success. However the most recent attempt has either stopped or slowed way down.

#30 2 years ago

Wowzers- so I was VERY wrong about the complexity of the WH20 topper- it's been a while since I've seen one IRL, but now that you all mention it, I do vaguely recall flowing water appearance from dancing lights and special image tricks on the decal (I guess special foil, eh?).. And hey, if that floats someone's boat to have their machine 100% perfect, I get it. It's just.... man, 2k- think of what pinball machines that could buy! Highspeed or PinBot, maybe?

#31 2 years ago

What's the going rate on Police Force toppers? They never seem to come up for sale.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Can you find me a link to those? My search didn't come up with any used one on ebay recently. Thanks.

#33 2 years ago

Now the topic is on fire!

I think you did this on purpose. Like a good flaming thread don’t ya 4K toppers for sale

#34 2 years ago

It has pushed up prices of earlier toppers. I had a Matt McKee LOTR Topper I bought here second hand 8 years ago for $100aud 2 years later I was asked to sell it and was offered $300aud, he had to have it and went to $500 which was crazy then. I see one of these recently for sale at $800usd which is around $1050aud. Luckily for me I bought a spare.....hit me up

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from Spybryon:

What's the going rate on Police Force toppers? They never seem to come up for sale.

Yeah I'd like to know the answer to that question as well.
John

IMG_0174 (resized).JPGIMG_0174 (resized).JPG
#36 2 years ago

I knew I’d seen that topper before

#37 2 years ago

As mentioned above, the White Water topper is one of the best matched toppers for a game.

1. The backless doesn't say White Water, only the topper
2. The integration / effect of the waterfall along with the White Water theme is suburb

For reasons I don't understand, it has proven very difficult to reproduce. Even the repos are a poor imitation.

So IMHO it should be 2k at least.

But would I ever sell by itself? Doubtful.

Other WMS toppers? I think swampfire was right on this topic. If there are repros and they are high quality, then not so much.

Heck, a White Water with a Topper may as well be a de facto WhiteWater CE now.

#38 2 years ago

Everything is going up, not just toppers. From my own family experience, young adults just out of college, making good bank are the reasons prices are skyrocketing. Those who chose wisely on student loans (not taking any) and high paying career paths are coming into money and they want nice things, like maybe a pinball machine for the man cave. I have nephews who I have fostered a love of pinball in by all the times they came over and played Uncle Dan's machines. So sadly, I am part of the problem by association. It doesn't help that I take them to the expo and fests and they watch me blow $8k on a MBrLE, so now that $4k for a No Fear (it actually came as a two machine deal with Motordome) was a bargain, at least to him. Oh, and is anyone interested in a rather cheap Motordome? I didn't think so...

#39 2 years ago

Anybody looking to sell a WW topper hit me up. I need one. Reasonable pricing please. I ain’t paying 4K for one….

#40 2 years ago

Aside from Whitewater, many of the 90s games have replacement parts available — or creative substitutes that are darn close. And why is that wrong in today’s mod world? As an example, I built a brand new fish tales topper for roughly $300. And over 1/3 of the cost was the acrylic dome.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guide-build-fish-tales-topper-from-scratch

On the other hand, I’ve got a Gottlieb bone busters and so many of the parts of the talking skull topper are just not available nor are easy alternative parts available. If that game was popular, the topper would be commanding prices similar to modern day stern toppers...

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from Riefepeters:

On the other hand, I’ve got a Gottlieb bone busters and so many of the parts of the talking skull topper are just not available nor are easy alternative parts available. If that game was popular, the topper would be commanding prices similar to modern day stern toppers...

Dang, You just can't win them all I guess. LOL.
John

IMG_0207 (resized).JPGIMG_0207 (resized).JPG
#42 2 years ago

This old Hamms beer sign has to be the same technology as the Wh20 topper.

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from Electronmagic:

This old Hamms beer sign has to be the same technology as the Wh20 topper.

Nope.

#44 2 years ago

Waterfall looks pretty similar.

Why nope? Just looking for the insight you might have.

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from altan:

Waterfall looks pretty similar.
Why nope? Just looking for the insight you might have.

Wh20 uses a light pattern on the embossed metallic waterfall pattern. The blinking of the lights reflection on the metal is what creates the waterfall effect. The problem is getting that embossed pattern of the right size and depth to work. The guy who came up with it passed long ago, and the original tooling is gone.

Those hamms signs I am not an expert on, but these two vids show it:

They are far bulkier than what would easily fit on top of a pin.

#46 2 years ago

Tl;DR unless WH2O topper science interests you-

I was a lighting test engineer for a major aerospace lighting supplier for a while and I have done a little research into a static display system that used this technology that was also used for WH2O. I heard The WH2O topper decal could be remade if someone wants to spend the time and money, the rub being it cost a lot of money for tooling that works. It has something to do with the blade angle while etching the dies used to emboss the aluminized sticker with.

This only works with bare lamps, mostly because they act as a directional point source and the chaser distance between bulbs is the determining factor of the actual needed die etch angle. Each "frame" of animation is determined by the relative position between the illuminating lamp, the reflective surface, and the observers eye. As the lamps sequence, the angle between the lit lamp and the next lamp lit in the sequence changes the viewers "frame" so you can get a scene whose image areas either reflect light (the angle lines up the lamp filament, the reflective surface of the image area, and the viewers eye) or it reflects a dark image as the areas with a different angle do not line up.

So now you have a single scene, with areas that illuminate (reflect) when only certain lamps are lit due to their combined angle. This allows the artist to render a scene that has a arbitrary water fall shape filled with areas that cycle in order light, dark, dark - then repeat. This gives the illusion of motion that makes us think the water is moving. It's a neat effect, but the tooling to do the embossing is all centered around the lamp distance between each lamp and the observers eye position relative to the area the artist wants either illuminated or kept dark during each frame.

Also note, changing the direction of the chaser lights will make the water flow "up", as well as if you randomized the seqence, the water would look more like noise. Oh, and areas can be made to go up while others go down, this allows for the wave effects that show the water splash "up" even though the main direction is down. All you do is reverse the angle sequence in those areas.

#47 2 years ago

Let's make a list of offical ~90s (+/- ok) toppers and note if there's anything unqiue. This is off the top of my head, so it's very implement I'm sure!

Jurassic Park. Plastic moulding with lights
White Water. Unique reflective surface, light board, special light controller. Inside "fish tank" clear housing.
Addams Family. Plastic uniquely shaped shell with artwork and flashers
Judge Dredd. Plastic eagle
Whirlwind. Plastic material with operational fan!
Fish Tales. Plastic plaque with fish that moves its tale! Inside "fish tank" clear housing.

What else?

Note: I'm being loose with the term plastic, there's probably a more accurate word

#48 2 years ago

Safecracker... Dome light/Win Magic Token topper

NBA Fastbreak ... Side and top topper with logo of NBA teams

#49 2 years ago

What was the first solid state game with a topper? F14? That’s one of my favorites.

#50 2 years ago

Dr Who Dalek thing?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jamestown, NC
$ 25.00
Hardware
Tucson Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 12.95
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

17,250 (OBO)
7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
7,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-discussion-with-topper-mania-what-s-a-wh2o-topper-value?hl=electronmagic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.