(Topic ID: 216755)

Footage of a Pinball Machine using a Printer?

By LuchaBoyPIN

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200331_172742 (resized).jpg
    2018-06-01_15h59_22 (resized).png
    2018-06-01_15h56_40 (resized).png
    TZ_Print.pdf (PDF preview)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Coyote.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 5 years ago

I have a serial kit, and since Zito stopped working on his, I've been playing with a new board design. (Allows Ticket outputs, utilizes USB for output instead of an actual parallel or RS232 connection.. Maybe even an ether net connection!)

Likely not for sale, cuz of the SMALL interest and higher cost.

But also not sure if what you're asking.. You want just a video of a printer printing anything? (Those exist on YouTube already..) or to see what the output looks like?

#8 5 years ago

Ah! Okay. Gimme a little bit - a week or so, and I can capture output from my TZ and post it.

Note that the printouts are only the bookkeeping information - No live stats (current High Scores, current ball in play, etc) are given in the readouts.

In fact, for serial connections, the serial data transfer takes so much CPU resources that even with the 'auto' printout set to enable, the game will not print out anything while a game is in session.

2 weeks later
    #9 5 years ago

Sorry for the delay. I had forgotten about this until I was messing in my basement today.
    I attached a PDF file. This is the printout using "P.8 ALL DATA" option. It's the same as printing out P1 - P7, except with one difference - if you print out just P.1, you get an additional line stating when the Time & Date was last changed.

(Can't upload a PDF because Pinside does not allow TXT files. (Strangely..) Also, it's a bug that it starts on 'Page 4'. If you print out the sections manually, they start at the proper number (1).

TZ_Print.pdfTZ_Print.pdf

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

Very interesting stuff, Coyote! Quick question: Line 6 of the Total Earnings is 92,945. Does this number mean that the game DOES have a universal counter like the way the EMs had with their physical game counters? Or does it just mean that you've never accidentally cleared your bookkeeping stuff due to power outage when the batteries were actually dead or you forgot to turn your game on when changing the batteries?

This is most definitely a bug - likely in 9.4H of TZ and my coin door configuration. You'll notice that my recent earnings are $150.30 - my game has the following setup:
    Left - $.05 (nickles)
    Center - $.10
    Right - $.25
    4th - $1.00

I have a single-slot coin door, which has an electronic coin mech in it. It accepts all coins, including $.50 pieces. DBA accepts $1 - $20s, wired to 4th slot.
    Anyways - 1 credit is 10 units, 1 unit is $.05 in value.
    The OS in 9.4H was one of the latest - if not last - version of the OS for WPC-89 (pre -S) games, and when Ted put the old game cod on the new OS, likely something is just getting recorded incorrectly in NVRAM because of that.

But to answer your question - no, there is no value in WPC-89 (including -S) that is non-volatile - if you change the ROM out, or do a factory resent, everything is cleared. Including those totals.

Plus - how can my game have only made $61.35 since the last printout on 5/29/16, but made $157.30 since 9/29/17? Something is off, and it's likely why this is a home-only version of the ROM. As an operator, I'd be really annoyed if I couldn't trust the readouts.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

Ah, makes sense now. I didn't pay attention to those specific numbers, I was just surprised at the total plays and my brain went off on a tangent...

Nono, that's perfectly fair. Honestly, I didn't even NOTICE that number until you pointed it out. I was too busy marveling at my own horrid stats. (Average ball time, under a minute? *Seriously*?! Holy crap..)

Once I fix the issues in my printer board, and can install it permanently, I may do some factory resets, and test some things to find out WHY that number is so high..

5 months later
    #17 5 years ago
    Quoted from ArcadeTechNerd:

So then... might you consider sharing the design for those others who might like to tinker one together?

Yeah, I probably would. Or have a small batch of them made - would depend on costs.

I'm looking at options now, and am wondering, so I'm bumping this old thread -
    If you could gt a 'printout' - would you rather:
    (1) Connect a USB cable up and open a terminal/serial program to read, or
    (2) Connect to an IP and telnet to an IP to retrieve the prinout, or
    (3) Pull out an SD card from the expansion board to copy a file off of it containing the data?

If #2, would you want the pinball connected by WiFi or Ethernet? Or does it matter?

3 months later
    #19 5 years ago
    Quoted from ArcadeTechNerd:

Seems like the USB option would be the most straight forward...
    But I still have/use printers with a 'real' serial connection, so what do I know?

So this project is more a learning experience, to get me familiar with micro-controllers. I decided the final 'board' will have a Micro-USB port for connecting to and connecting by a serial port. But, it will also have a XBee plug that will allow a mesh network connection, Wifi module, or BT module plugged in and configured.

I very likely won't have them mass-produced, since.. well, I'll be surprised if 5 people are interested, much less 100.

Right now, I'm trying to focus on the uC talking/watching the WPC data lines.

3 months later
    #21 4 years ago

Thanks guys.
    At the moment I'm still working on it, but with all the other projects, it's just going slow. I'm hoping to have a prototype working by fall.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Coyote.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/footage-of-a-pinball-machine-using-a-printer?tu=Coyote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.