PXL_20240419_205115475 (resized).jpg
20240419_135517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2674 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2756 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2757 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2754 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2758 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

35 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 13,317 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 267.
#3051 11 months ago
Quoted from NovaCade:

Where is everyone measuring their playfield pitch at? Up top near the overlord? Mid field? Or down by the flippers?
Also, I think this may be my first title where I really feel the flipper fade after a few games. Especially when there are multiple players. Thinking maybe the temps are higher with the flipper power so high at stock setting.

7.0 right on the Overlord’s face on the playfield.

#3052 11 months ago
Quoted from NovaCade:

Where is everyone measuring their playfield pitch at? Up top near the overlord? Mid field? Or down by the flippers?
Also, I think this may be my first title where I really feel the flipper fade after a few games. Especially when there are multiple players. Thinking maybe the temps are higher with the flipper power so high at stock setting.

I always measure pitch from between the flippers. Not sure if that's correct, but it's how I do

#3053 11 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Ok, now swap the power distribution board from GZ into FF. Basically trying to see if the issue is the power supply or the PDB. Sounding like maybe the PDB. If you swap and the GZ one doesn't click in FF (FF power supply again, GZ PDB), but the FF PDB DOES click in GZ, can you take a close picture of the markings on the capacitors (big black round things) of the two boards?

I can swap PBDs easy enough tommorow.

I do currently have Zillas PSU in FF, and FF PSU in Zilla. So the FF PSU is currently paired to the Zilla PDB, and Zilla PSU to the FF PDB…just in different bodies.

I’ll swap though just to ensure nothing downstream would be effecting it.

#3054 11 months ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I always measure pitch from between the flippers. Not sure if that's correct, but it's how I do

I don’t think there’s a “correct”, just what plays good for you + a consistent reference point you have to work off of / measure.

#3055 11 months ago

Got my LE yesterday. Changed the rubbers and posts, plastic protectors. Got a Little Rock section going on.

0A8F3397-0926-4D66-817E-257346475C1B (resized).jpeg0A8F3397-0926-4D66-817E-257346475C1B (resized).jpeg114CF425-B49B-457B-8803-7E36BECCBF78 (resized).jpeg114CF425-B49B-457B-8803-7E36BECCBF78 (resized).jpeg48C29203-F3BF-4212-8F62-853B33FFD39C (resized).jpeg48C29203-F3BF-4212-8F62-853B33FFD39C (resized).jpeg50C75416-851A-455D-8A4C-97AE04E2FB67 (resized).jpeg50C75416-851A-455D-8A4C-97AE04E2FB67 (resized).jpeg637B4DA4-9EC8-4CD1-B8F7-68A285DABE02 (resized).jpeg637B4DA4-9EC8-4CD1-B8F7-68A285DABE02 (resized).jpeg80511664-5F44-4AA6-9E76-59A2C1247884 (resized).jpeg80511664-5F44-4AA6-9E76-59A2C1247884 (resized).jpegAC1B549A-9204-44D8-92A4-33E99E969171 (resized).jpegAC1B549A-9204-44D8-92A4-33E99E969171 (resized).jpegBE0AC14B-87F1-41C1-8B17-95EA59DFCD6F (resized).jpegBE0AC14B-87F1-41C1-8B17-95EA59DFCD6F (resized).jpeg
#3056 11 months ago
Quoted from NovaCade:

It's one of the top 3 hottest flipper coil Stern Spike2 machines after about an hour. Plus it has that very steep ramp on the right. So when the fade starts, it's more noticeable, sooner. I believe that's because the ball is always coming back to your flipper quickly. There are no mechanical locks (aside from the single overlord captive ball) or pop bumpers to create pauses in the play. As a result, you're flipping a lot more (the fastest way to build heat on Spike2, much faster than hold/trap).

Coil Temp Chart 2023-04-20 (resized).pngCoil Temp Chart 2023-04-20 (resized).png
Foo Fighters Temp Test 2023-04-20_sml (resized).jpgFoo Fighters Temp Test 2023-04-20_sml (resized).jpg

#3057 11 months ago
Quoted from DigitalJedi084:

I can swap PBDs easy enough tommorow.
I do currently have Zillas PSU in FF, and FF PSU in Zilla. So the FF PSU is currently paired to the Zilla PDB, and Zilla PSU to the FF PDB…just in different bodies.
I’ll swap though just to ensure nothing downstream would be effecting it.

Very interested to see what the result is. I wonder if cheaper caps or other components on the PDB are the root problem. I've had almost every Spike2 NIB of various levels (Pro to LE) and never had the clicking.

#3058 11 months ago

Noticed a few days ago, the PSU does some clicking on boot.

I get 5 or 6 clicks on boot every time. Nowhere near as many as you’re getting. Never gave it a thought as it’s my first new in box Spike 2 game. But I’m interested in what you learn.

#3059 11 months ago

Man, shitty power supply,

C'mon Stern Pinball.....

#3060 11 months ago
Quoted from JH315:

L+R,L,R,L,L,R,L,L,L,R,R

Awesome. Thanks for that little nugget. It’s pretty cool

#3061 11 months ago
Quoted from MRudowsky:

I get 5 or 6 clicks on boot every time. Nowhere near as many as you’re getting. Never gave it a thought as it’s my first new in box Spike 2 game. But I’m interested in what you learn.

Are you using the service outlet?

#3062 11 months ago

Anyone went with clear rubbers all around? I was Gona go clear with purple posts but now thinking of going glow in dark ones…

#3063 11 months ago

I always go clear Titans all around on my pins. Did this on my FF Premium. I’ve ordered the Glowing Green set. First pin where I find it necessary.

#3064 11 months ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I always go clear Titans all around on my pins. Did this on my FF Premium. I’ve ordered the Glowing Green set. First pin where I find it necessary.

Interesting ? I have preference for clear these days.

Have to admit some photos I have seen of green glow look cool but,
Why glowing green better ?

Maybe I'm too old to play in the dark

#3065 11 months ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Ditto.

#3066 11 months ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

Got a Little Rock section going on.

Awesome line up man !
That beautiful ol' Bally RS, wow Winner.

Love it ! 10/10

Rock on \m/

#3067 11 months ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

Awesome. Thanks for that little nugget. It’s pretty cool

For a band fronted by a drummer, they shoulda gone with a paradiddle for the easter egg - L,R,LL,R,L,RR

#3068 11 months ago
Quoted from RA77:

Interesting ? I have preference for clear these days.
Have to admit some photos I have seen of green glow look cool but,
Why glowing green better ?
Maybe I'm too old to play in the dark

I haven’t added them to ff yet, but I love the look of clear and I think it brightens up the game, and they’re super bouncy and easy to clean (like any other silicone). It’s just a matter of taste with clear vs other colors, but I like clear the best by a long shot!

#3069 11 months ago

Oh man the FLO on the PRO is sensational! Well done team stern!

#3070 11 months ago

I did,was thinking about going to glow in the dark, but lately I’ve been leaning toward leaving them. I think they look pretty clean

Quoted from RPZ:

Anyone went with clear rubbers all around? I was Gona go clear with purple posts but now thinking of going glow in dark ones…

IMG_1636 (resized).jpegIMG_1636 (resized).jpeg
#3071 11 months ago
Quoted from Boslaw:

Got my first 1Billion score tonight after about 100 plays on an LE - and my right flipper coil fell off. When it fell off, it also ripped the nut out of one side of the flipper frame that holds the coil stop.
What is the deal with Stern QA?? Really terrible. That coil falling off could have caused some serious damage.

At this point everyone should replace that coil stop and/or add a drop of loctite to the screws. I know some people thought I was crazy when I posted this, but it has happened to too many people.

#3072 11 months ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Mine does that too....it's not normal?

Mine has a few pops, on startup and shit down. Thought it was normal as well.

#3073 11 months ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Are you using the service outlet?

Nope

#3074 11 months ago
Quoted from Arcade:

awesome I did not even see that when I took the photo.
So funny

Mine did the same. Found it once, restuck it and it was knocked off again and now no clue where it has migrated to. That target does get hit pretty hard. I have a open tix with Stern about it.

#3075 11 months ago
Quoted from HB_GAMER:

Mine did the same. Found it once, restuck it and it was knocked off again and now no clue where it has migrated to. That target does get hit pretty hard. I have a open tix with Stern about it.

Clean the target and decal with alcohol and get all the adhesive residue off, get a roll of 3M 467MP tape, and use an exacto knife to cut out a target-sized bit of tape with a hole for the rivet. This happened with multiple targets on my STh, prevailing thought being the targets weren't 100% clean when the decals were installed at the factory. Haven't had one pop off again after doing this for ones that did come off.

#3076 11 months ago
Quoted from blizz81:

Clean the target and decal with alcohol and get all the adhesive residue off, get a roll of 3M 467MP tape, and use an exacto knife to cut out a target-sized bit of tape with a hole for the rivet. This happened with multiple targets on my STh, prevailing thought being the targets weren't 100% clean when the decals were installed at the factory. Haven't had one pop off again after doing this for ones that did come off.

Thanks bud, I will do that.

#3077 11 months ago
Quoted from Duster72:

At this point everyone should replace that coil stop and/or add a drop of loctite to the screws. I know some people thought I was crazy when I posted this, but it has happened to too many people.

Probably right. Based on your post, at least I suspected what was happening when my flipper power dropped to virtually zero

#3078 11 months ago

Long story short, in Vegas, killing time waiting for the others flights to get in, and I went to the Pinball museum. Man such a cool place and some cool people. They had Stern IC leaderboards on steroids donated by Stern from a previous trade show. They had 2 premiums and a pro or two. Helped a lady explaining the rules to her and noticed the upper playfield was missing a rubber on the flipper, I also noticed that the pitch on one had the bubble at the top center on one and the other the bubble was in the upper section. The reason I mentioned this is both auto plunges we’re consistently falling short. Also both dead posts would fire, but the ball did not have enough momentum. And wouldn’t clear the right flipper. Spoke with the manager, asked if he was open to feedback had a great conversation and had me play test them ( free games ) for a hour until I needed to bail. Felt good helping them and seeing this special game shine. Dam IC now I need to go back to scan in and keep my streak. Not sure how I will pull this one off with the wife and friends today as we rented a cabana and Sick New World (festival) tomorrow. Where there is a will, there is a way.

IMG_2913 (resized).jpegIMG_2913 (resized).jpegIMG_2914 (resized).jpegIMG_2914 (resized).jpegIMG_2920 (resized).jpegIMG_2920 (resized).jpeg
#3079 11 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Very interested to see what the result is. I wonder if cheaper caps or other components on the PDB are the root problem. I've had almost every Spike2 NIB of various levels (Pro to LE) and never had the clicking.

Results are in, the PDU is crap

So I swapped PDUs between GZ-FF, and the clicking definitely follows the PDU.

Now, here’s the interesting part. The caps are the same vendor/specs, and we’ll as the power inductor. They have different manufacturing date codes, but that’s to be expected.

I’m also pretty suspect on the “Capacitor Clicking”, I’m an EE and I’ve never seen that happening. It sounds like a relay cycling to me….I consulted a few of my buddies from college who work on analog circuits and they also have never heard of “capacitor clicks”

Pics of GZ are on the left (green dot as well)
IMG_7804 (resized).jpegIMG_7804 (resized).jpegIMG_7805 (resized).jpegIMG_7805 (resized).jpegIMG_7806 (resized).jpegIMG_7806 (resized).jpeg

#3080 11 months ago

Now, here’s the interesting part. The caps are the same vendor/specs, and we’ll as the power inductor. They have different manufacturing date codes, but that’s to be expected.
I’m also pretty suspect on the “Capacitor Clicking”, I’m an EE and I’ve never seen that happening. It sounds like a relay cycling to me….I consulted a few of my buddies from college who work on analog circuits and they also have never heard of “capacitor clicks”

Good diag. Did you follow up with Stern with the results?

#3081 11 months ago
Quoted from blizz81:

Good diag. Did you follow up with Stern with the results?

I just did, however, not too sure if there will be much traction.

Their initial reply was pretty generic saying it was normal, and the click sound can vary with different manufacturing periods and batches of components.

It’s just my OCD killing me now, I’ve had a few NIB sterns, and never this relay clicking sound

#3082 11 months ago

however, not too sure if there will be much traction.

If it were to happen to be diagnosed as failed completely, say, on Monday, you'd get a warranty replacement. good thing you'd have a good one to play whichever game you want while waiting on the replacement.

#3083 11 months ago

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Its not the caps clicking… but likely the performance of the caps causing the relays in the psu to throw because of voltage or current swings.

So you can read stern’s email different ways… the caps are the reason for the noise… but not the source of the noise. So not ‘wrong’ to refer to the caps… but also kind of confusing to say it is the caps

#3084 11 months ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Its not the caps clicking… but likely the performance of the caps causing the relays in the psu to throw because of voltage or current swings.
So you can read stern’s email different ways… the caps are the reason for the noise… but not the source of the noise. So not ‘wrong’ to refer to the caps… but also kind of confusing to say it is the caps

Ah, thanks- makes much more sense! I was definitely reading it the other way.

#3085 11 months ago

Ah, thanks- makes much more sense! I was definitely reading it the other way.

There is inrush current when the caps are charging. Could be something related to that and why it stops after a few seconds (after the caps have charged). Relay noise could be over current protection throwing in the psu.

If you had an amp meter you could watch the psu output.

I’d ask for new pdu

#3086 11 months ago

I will let mine be. If the boards crap out Stern will fix it.

#3087 11 months ago

Who makes the sticker to cover this ?

Thanks

D45BB2E5-F207-4514-9B71-13C27778E08E (resized).jpegD45BB2E5-F207-4514-9B71-13C27778E08E (resized).jpeg
#3088 11 months ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

I have my FF pro for a couple of month but now it has some lights that are out. Specifically it's the white arrows for the ramps, right orbit, and the city mode lights. I looked at the Stern manual and they are all part of "Node 8" but no idea if that is the root cause.
They sometimes come back on, but only briefly, before going out again. It's pretty consistent. Any suggestions?

so no one ran into this issue then? Guess it's time to talk to my distrubor/stern-

#3089 11 months ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

so no one ran into this issue then? Guess it's time to talk to my distrubor/stern-

I would try re-seating all of your light board cables (cat-5) with the game off. If that doesn't help I would reach out to your distributor.

#3090 11 months ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

There is inrush current when the caps are charging. Could be something related to that and why it stops after a few seconds (after the caps have charged). Relay noise could be over current protection throwing in the psu.
If you had an amp meter you could watch the psu output.
I’d ask for new pdu

New PDU is incoming,they agreed to RMA it. I was actually expecting a bit more pushback.

My distro will be taking things from here, but I’ll make sure to follow up with pinside

#3091 11 months ago
Quoted from Apollo18:

Thanks [quoted image]

I will have an awesome sticker in the next few days to share and have in my Pinside store.

#3092 11 months ago

Not sure if this is a bug or if I made some super secret combo … but I had 2x playfield running for the rest of the game. Even after I drained. The playfield was not lit but the icon on the screen was there for the rest of the game. Anyone else have this experience?

CF0619F1-7E8C-49EA-AEFA-03C003516222 (resized).jpegCF0619F1-7E8C-49EA-AEFA-03C003516222 (resized).jpeg
#3093 11 months ago
Quoted from Apollo18:

Thanks [quoted image]

I just 3D printed a thin plate that I put there using 3M double stick. Same on my GZ and Bond, easy peasy.
IMG_2648 (resized).JPGIMG_2648 (resized).JPG

#3094 11 months ago

#708 has landed

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3095 11 months ago

Great that it's narrowed down. Crap that it's a brand new power distribution board performing at the low end of acceptable charging up, causing the power supply relay to click. I'd push for a new PDB.

If Stern stands hard on the "no replacement" I'd cost you $75, but Pinball Life has new PDBs in stock for $75:

https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-spike-power-distribution-board.html

New PDU is incoming,they agreed to RMA it. I was actually expecting a bit more pushback.
My distro will be taking things from here, but I’ll make sure to follow up with pinside

Great that they went for the swap! Definitely post the ultimate outcome. It sounds like a few others have been stuck with the same under-achieving PDBs you have.

#3096 11 months ago

Quoted from Desmodromic:I just 3D printed a thin plate that I put there using 3M double stick. Same on my GZ and Bond, easy peasy.
[quoted image]

looks great where can i order ?

#3097 11 months ago
Quoted from brickbuilder14:

Not sure if this is a bug or if I made some super secret combo … but I had 2x playfield running for the rest of the game. Even after I drained. The playfield was not lit but the icon on the screen was there for the rest of the game. Anyone else have this experience?
[quoted image]

Nope. Lucky duck. If that's a feature, I'd like to know how to achieve it.

#3098 11 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Great that they went for the swap! Definitely post the ultimate outcome. It sounds like a few others have been stuck with the same under-achieving PDBs you have.

Mine is a bit annoying, but nothing I am going to worry about swapping. If it starts getting worse/taking longer I will raise a flag. Wonder what the differences are with the boards. Will be watching to see if the replacement board is any different.

#3099 11 months ago

For those waiting, what was your order date?

I'm in on a Premium (my distributor was out of LE's) and my order date was March 5.
Obviously I'm further back in line than those in on LE's... just curious as to how big of a queue we're in.

#3100 11 months ago

Some have mentioned having loose coil stops. Definitely worth checking but note that it's easy (like most fasteners in Pinball) to over-tighten and strip out the receiving part, so don't over-tighten!

We noticed some funky behavior here last night when trying to stop/trap a ball with the left flipper. The flipper would "dip" when the ball hit it and with the glass off, you could easily confirm that when held up, the flipper itself could be pushed down even with the coil engaged. Turns out in my case, I had a bad coil stop. The insert looks like it was never really struck to mushroom over the end and firmly attach it to the bracket. Pics tell the story. I had a number of PBL coil stops handy so I just swapped it out and back in business. The coil stop on the right flipper is fine. I pulled and inspected it, but it's properly riveted and looks identical to the replacements I got from PBL so I reinstalled and will keep using the original on that side until it wears or loosens up.

You can see the failure to flatten the end of the pin here:
FF Coil Stop a (resized).JPGFF Coil Stop a (resized).JPG

In my case, the insert was free from the stop by the time it was noted and came out in pieces.
FF Coil Stop b (resized).JPGFF Coil Stop b (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
FlipMods

$ 26.50
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 1,700.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Raiden Mods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
BomberMods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Other
BomberMods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
GAD Pinball

$ 495.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling

Lighting - Interactive
Rocket City Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 210.00
Playfield - Other
BomberMods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Northwood, OH
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 26.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
BomberMods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 13,317 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 267.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/foo-fighters-official-owners-club-rock-aliens/page/62?hl=onemilemore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.