IMG_1299 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3182 (resized).jpeg
77b3a0a22818e071c8d41f083ac81da0.gif
72B870CE-9B2D-4680-9F5C-C560C685865B_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
IMG_8289 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6535 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

35 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 13,167 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 264.
#1301 12 months ago

One of my favorite features is that the drops reset if you hit the stand up before they're all down. You get it down to 1 drop and you better not miss.

#1302 12 months ago
Quoted from Artax:

It's looking good. You could add the radio station numbers and maybe a red or orange led to illuminate it. An eight track player opening and eject button would be awesome, but not sure it would fit.

That’s tomorrows job. Cutting acrylic smoked clear and cutting the radio needle and numbers.

#1303 12 months ago

Got the temp testing done for Foo Fighters Pro. This was on 0.92 code.

The game is pretty heavily reliant on the right flipper, so the peak temps are quite a bit higher on the right than the left. I don't know if future code will move some of the shots more to the left flipper to even out the load, but as it stands, it's moderately unbalanced.

For comparison, Elwin's designs average a peak temp L/R flipper coil spread of 5F (as low as 1F, as high as 8F, depending on game). Foo is 17F. This doesn't mean it isn't fun - I had a blast with the Pro and am looking forward to the LE next week (which I will also temp test just to see if there's an appreciable temp difference). It just means the game relies on the right flipper quite a bit right now. I just hope Tanio and crew find more stuff for the left flipper to do to balance out the usage.
Foo Fighters Temp Test 2023-04-20_sml (resized).jpgFoo Fighters Temp Test 2023-04-20_sml (resized).jpg

#1304 12 months ago
Quoted from heyitsjoebob:

Anyone have some suggestions on EQ settings? I've got the upgraded Kenwoods but still don't feel like the sound quality is top notch. I'm hoping I can fiddle with the EQ and get some improvements without going all-in on the $400 pinwoofer set straight out of the gate.

So here's what I do...All my Stern LE's and Premiums have the Kenwood 5 1/4 save for my GZ which I used the smaller 4 1/2" Kickers since they're hiding behind the flame panels.

Anyways, you start off setting the Ohm's to 8 regardless of speaker type for both the Cab and Backbox (there are tons of threads explaining this and the reasoning). Next set the EQ for the Backbox to your liking...I prefer a scalloped scooped midrange, bringing up the BASS a little above 0, and a little Sharp on the high end. Adjust the cab as well...this isn't a sub really, moreso a cheap midrange speaker...don't try to squeeze the bass here with the factory speaker. Just raise the low end to your liking and and leave the highs and lows fairly close to default...again this is by ear. (There are some curves in the DIY sound thread for setting specific number for both if you're inclined to set something exact)

That should balance you out better than factory.

Then I add the Pinwoofer DIY system to my setups, not the full kit. I use External Klipsch 12" Subs (Overkill but awesome) plus the Pinwoofer DIY kit in the backbox along with the upgraded Pinwoofer cabinet speaker and mounting ring , and then set the amp controls per the Blog settings for speaker and amp / game recommendations on the Pinwoofer site. I usually cut off at 80hz on the sub crossover and run the gain about 12 to 1 o'clock then all the volume and gain is adjusted at the amp and then finally the main system volume controls

This setup sounds absolutely phenomenal and I don't dare turn my volume past 16 for long periods of time ....20 will rattle the walls and floors

#1305 12 months ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

Little left to do on the test unit and then I can start a real one.
[quoted image]

Damn !! Count me in

#1306 12 months ago

#166 is officially in! My son and the dog helped unbox...
IMG_3524 (resized).jpegIMG_3524 (resized).jpegIMG_3550 (resized).jpegIMG_3550 (resized).jpeg

IMG_3577 (resized).jpegIMG_3577 (resized).jpeg
#1307 12 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The game is pretty heavily reliant on the right flipper, so the peak temps are quite a bit higher on the right than the left. I don't know if future code will move some of the shots more to the left flipper to even out the load, but as it stands, it's moderately unbalanced.
For comparison, Elwin's designs average a peak temp L/R flipper coil spread of 5F (as low as 1F, as high as 8F, depending on game). Foo is 17F. This doesn't mean it isn't fun - I had a blast with the Pro and am looking forward to the LE next week (which I will also temp test just to see if there's an appreciable temp difference). It just means the game relies on the right flipper quite a bit right now. I just hope Tanio and crew find more stuff for the left flipper to do to balance out the usage.
[quoted image]

If you gave us a cheaper alternative to your awesome cooling mod, maybe more folks would chime in? I don’t need chrome-plated mounts and fancy boxes to get the nob done. Just being honest here. I bought your $200 kit for MM but I doubt I’ll do that again. This is maybe just me but when I can do the same effect for 6 other machines for a lot less, it makes me really wonder where my money is going. Not hating..actually trying to help.

#1308 12 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

[quoted image]

Awesome efforts as always Vic, Well done !

#1309 12 months ago
Quoted from kermit24:

[quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

Brilliant !

Sweet line up.

Great to see the sub locked and loaded for FF.

Enjoy !

#1310 12 months ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

If you gave us a cheaper alternative to your awesome cooling mod, maybe more folks would chime in? I don’t need chrome-plated mounts and fancy boxes to get the nob done. Just being honest here. I bought your $200 kit for MM but I doubt I’ll do that again. This is maybe just me but when I can do the same effect for 6 other machines for a lot less, it makes me really wonder where my money is going. Not hating..actually trying to help.

The standard Tibetan Breeze kits also work on Spike machines, so stainless steel ZEN kits aren't the only choice. Since the main heat issues for Foo are on the lower flippers, you could just do a 2 flipper standard kit for $130 instead of a ZEN for $210. There's always DIY if you don't want a plug and play solution. I'm working on an even more basic entry level kit, but it's not ready yet. The goal is to have a range of price points depending on performance, appearance, noise and warranty length someone wants.

Also, it's unlikely all 7 of your machines need active cooling. That's why I post the test results. Makes it a lot easier to see which ones you should consider it for. There are some where there's no doubt they DON'T need cooling, like Star Wars, for example. Then a bunch in the middle where it's maybe/maybe not, then some where they clearly need it.

#1311 12 months ago
Quoted from beltking:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That looks super impressive.

#1313 12 months ago
Quoted from kermit24:

[quoted image]

for some odd reason, I appreciate T2 in the mix with FOO, more than ever..And I've owned a few T2's..retro throwback cyborg bliss-camp here!

#1314 12 months ago

One important thing for new Stern owners (especially the LE guys). Protect your shooter lane before anything else you do ; It WILL crack and get dented at stock. lower the trough ball eject coil to almost minimum while putting mylar (at minimum) cliffy, or pindefender ‘s in the lane. I have 3 newer sterns Gotg cracked and mared up in less than 150 plays. Same (but less) with DP and GZ. All within 200 plays.

#1315 12 months ago
Quoted from kermit24:

[quoted image]

Who was the distributor if you don’t mind sharing? Can’t wait for ours

#1316 12 months ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

The way I personally view it is that the Zen is like doing a case mod on your gaming PC or getting your engine detailed. At this point, for the majority of users, it’s less about how it works than how it looks. It’s a purely ascetic thing. This is not going to be worth it for a good chunk of owners, but to a small OCD percentage of them, it will (I do count myself in that number).

If you’re just looking for the cooling effect, the breezes seem to do the same job, as well as zip ties and laptop fans. Its what I have on an old em (not sure if it does anything but it was cheap enough for me to do for voodoo reasons and I already had all the parts laying around).

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1317 12 months ago

My LE arrives on Monday from FedEx freight, I used Zach at Flip N Out.

#1318 12 months ago

Anyone hear anything or receive any notification from Paradise Pinball?

#1319 12 months ago

I used Greater Southern in GA for my LE, sounds like it will be another week or two due to the delays at the factory.

#1320 12 months ago

I find it interesting that a lot of the music in the game is programmed to quiet itself as if sounds are coming through, but don't yet. For instance, when putting yourself on the high score list for multiple items you can hear the music quiet a smidge with each score shown. You can hear this through out the game too. I haven't been this early into playing a game where I've seen this before. Is this normal?

I guess I got in an Iron Maiden early, and I feel all their sounds and voices were already established, even in super early code.

#1321 12 months ago

Does anybody know if the rules sheets on the stern website get updated as the code gets updated??

#1322 12 months ago
Quoted from HB_GAMER:

Who was the distributor if you don’t mind sharing? Can’t wait for ours

Jason @ Classic Gamerooms

#1323 12 months ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Anyways, you start off setting the Ohm's to 8 regardless of speaker type for both the Cab and Backbox (there are tons of threads explaining this and the reasoning).

It's interesting, the default is 8 Ohm's, but my backbox speaker was set to 4 Ohm's from the factory. Changing it to the 8 Ohm default made a HUGE difference. I also turned off the audio filter which sounds better to my ears. Lastly, I fiddled with the Music Attenuation...-20 or -30 seems to bring out the music a bit (though it's hard to do an A/B comparison).

In any event, the game sounds very respectable with just a little tweaking. I'm sure it can be improved by throwing more hardware/money at it, but the Kenwood speakers are adequate once they are being fed with reasonable audio waves. The out-of-the-box config made the hardware sound much worse than necessary. Kind of odd that this stuff isn't given more attention (since it's a music pin).

IMG_2949 (resized).jpegIMG_2949 (resized).jpegIMG_2950 (resized).jpegIMG_2950 (resized).jpegIMG_2952 (resized).jpegIMG_2952 (resized).jpeg
#1324 12 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I just hope Tanio and crew find more stuff for the left flipper to do to balance out the usage.
[quoted image]

This game, especially the pro model, with be right flipper dominant because of the spinner shot to upper right flipper combos and the upper flipper ramp returning to the right flipper. There is plenty to do with the left flipper, but the right will always be more. Just the design.

The premium/LE will see more left flipper usage because of the upper PF.

#1325 12 months ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Jason @ Classic Gamerooms

Excited to hear they have come in. Hopefully I will get my call soon.

#1326 12 months ago
Quoted from HB_GAMER:

Excited to hear they have come in. Hopefully I will get my call soon.

Same!

#1327 12 months ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

My R&M had horrible flipper fade when I first received it. I decided on a simple solution...plugged a mini/retro fan into the R&M service outlet (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aw-jeez-official-rick-and-morty-club/page/237#post-6185294). It not only cools the flippers, but the boards underneath the PF that run hot. Even though people made fun of the adhoc solution, it's worked great for me for 2 years now. The only downside is it replaces the coin box, so it only works for home use games. In other games that I've installed PinWoofer amps, the coin box is using replaced by the amp.

#1328 12 months ago
Quoted from kermit24:

This game, especially the pro model, with be right flipper dominant because of the spinner shot to upper right flipper combos and the upper flipper ramp returning to the right flipper. There is plenty to do with the left flipper, but the right will always be more. Just the design.
The premium/LE will see more left flipper usage because of the upper PF.

Yeah, I get that. But on an Elwin design, for example, a "dominant" flipper spread is less than half the peak temp of FF (8F vs 17F). I'm sure software rules can be adjusted to bring that spread down a fair amount into a more "normal" range. There's dominant, and then there's DOMINANT.

But then again, Tanio's other software on Deadpool is LEFT flipper dominant with a huge 27F spread. So...

------------
Here's the 5 most balanced, based on peak temps:
Avengers (+1L)
Bond (+1R) - early code, though
RUSH (+2R)
Jurassic Park (+2R)
Led Zeppelin (+4R)
TMNT (+6L)

----------
And here's the 5 with a heavy dominant flipper:
Mandalorian (+31L)
Stranger Things (+28R)
Deadpool (+27L)
Foo Fighters (+17R)
Elvira (+16R)

#1329 12 months ago

I figured out why my right flipper wasn't working. I really don't mind the price increases but this level of QA is disappointing on a $13,000 machine. I found most of the missing pieces in the cabinet, but not all of them. Luckily I keep Stern rebuild kits and the TBL parts bags on hand.

IMG_3265 (resized).jpgIMG_3265 (resized).jpg
#1330 12 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, I get that. But on an Elwin design, for example, a "dominant" flipper spread is less than half the peak temp of FF (8F vs 17F). I'm sure software rules can be adjusted to bring that spread down a fair amount into a more "normal" range. There's dominant, and then there's DOMINANT.

Since it's the Left flipper that's going to be the concern, having to make the steep right ramp, wouldn't this be the perfect scenario that likely doesn't need fans?

#1331 12 months ago

Just installed the 0.93 code and after it copied all the code to the "node boards" and finished up, the game is DOA. LCD is working fine, but none of the lights go on and you can't start a game. I also used a USB stick that has worked on many other recent Sterns (so I doubt it's the USB stick).

Has anyone successfully loaded the new code on an LE? Since not many have been unboxed, maybe it's an update problem?

IMG_2953 (resized).jpegIMG_2953 (resized).jpeg
#1332 12 months ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Just installed the 0.93 code and after it copied all the code to the "node boards" and finished up, the game is DOA. LCD is working fine, but none of the lights go on and you can't start a game. I also used a USB stick that has worked on many other recent Sterns (so I doubt it's the USB stick).
Has anyone successfully loaded the new code on an LE? Since not many have been unboxed, maybe it's an update problem?

I actually had this happen and I fixed it by opening the coin door and pulling out the high voltage safety switch and then closing the coin door again. I do not know why that worked. It was just the easiest thing I could think of to try.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1333 12 months ago
Quoted from snaroff:

[quoted image]

Same exact thing happened to me. I fixed it by rebuilding an SD card. Looks like the post above has a simpler fix.

#1334 12 months ago
Quoted from Duster72:

I figured out why my right flipper wasn't working. I really don't mind the price increases but this level of QA is disappointing on a $13,000 machine. I found most of the missing pieces in the cabinet, but not all of them. Luckily I keep Stern rebuild kits and the TBL parts bags on hand.
[quoted image]

They're just making it easier for you to replace the lousy coil stop.

#1335 12 months ago
Quoted from Duster72:

[quoted image]

So the coil stop fell off and everything came apart?

#1336 12 months ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Since it's the Left flipper that's going to be the concern, having to make the steep right ramp, wouldn't this be the perfect scenario that likely doesn't need fans?

Left is still way past the fade zone once you're over an hour in. The steep ramp gets very hard to make in long sessions, especially towards the 2 hour mark of play. You can see it late in Joel's FlipnOut stream and I experienced it, too.

#1337 12 months ago
Quoted from snaroff:

[quoted image]

Replace the SD card with a new imaged one of better quality, or rebuild the trash SD card Stern provided. It's likely the issue.

#1338 12 months ago
Quoted from snaroff:

[quoted image]

Try this first. I wasn’t getting any lights after the update either. Power cycle the game. Leave the coin door closed so everything can update the node boards.

#1339 12 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

So the coil stop fell off and everything came apart?

Correct. I think they forgot one of the screws that holds the coil stop on since I never found the second screw. Yes, I had PBL coil stops on hand to go ahead and replace it. I just think about the people who are buying their first machine. This wouldn't have been repairable for anyone who isn't a big pinball nerd and this is a theme that is selling to a lot of FF fans who have never bought a pinball machine before. I also think they should have a 10 minute setup video via QR code on the outside of the box instead of that crappy black and white legal size sheet of paper, but what do I know?

#1340 12 months ago
Quoted from Duster72:

I actually had this happen and I fixed it by opening the coin door and pulling out the high voltage safety switch and then closing the coin door again. I do not know why that worked. It was just the easiest thing I could think of to try.

Thanks!! That worked. So weird...if there is/was a mechanical problem with the voltage switch, it's odd that it would be effected/triggered by a software update! No problems before the update.

Same exact thing happened to me. I fixed it by rebuilding an SD card. Looks like the post above has a simpler fix.

Bizarre that the SD card rebuild fixed it, but glad it's working for you.

#1341 12 months ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Thanks!! That worked. So weird...if there is/was a mechanical problem with the voltage switch, it's odd that it would be effected/triggered by a software update! No problems before the update.

I'm glad my laziness paid off for someone else.

#1342 12 months ago
Quoted from Duster72:

I'm glad my laziness paid off for someone else.

The simpler the fix, the better (lazy or not I don't keep SD cards in stock, so I'm really glad I didn't have to go that route (for now, at least).

#1343 12 months ago
Quoted from snaroff:

It's interesting, the default is 8 Ohm's, but my backbox speaker was set to 4 Ohm's from the factory. Changing it to the 8 Ohm default made a HUGE difference. I also turned off the audio filter which sounds better to my ears. Lastly, I fiddled with the Music Attenuation...-20 or -30 seems to bring out the music a bit (though it's hard to do an A/B comparison).
In any event, the game sounds very respectable with just a little tweaking. I'm sure it can be improved by throwing more hardware/money at it, but the Kenwood speakers are adequate once they are being fed with reasonable audio waves. The out-of-the-box config made the hardware sound much worse than necessary. Kind of odd that this stuff isn't given more attention (since it's a music pin).
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks! Wondering why sounded bad switched to 8 too

#1344 12 months ago

Suspect the issue was that the game was updated via USB stick and the coin door was left open with the interlock switch not pulled out to so the node did not have power to update their code.

#1345 12 months ago
Quoted from snaroff:

The simpler the fix, the better (lazy or not I don't keep SD cards in stock, so I'm really glad I didn't have to go that route (for now, at least).

Stern sd cards are the new coil stops.

I'll keypost the lazy fix.

#1346 12 months ago
Quoted from TrixTrix:

Suspect the issue was that the game was updated via USB stick and the coin door was left open with the interlock switch not pulled out to so the node did not have power to update their code.

I can say for 100% certainty that the coin door was open.

Candidly I'm glad I wasn't alone in this issue with this update. Makes me feel like I didn't do something stupidly wrong, download the wrong file, etc.

#1347 12 months ago
Quoted from TrixTrix:

Nope, mine updated via Wifi with the door closed.

#1348 12 months ago

Just rocking out to the Foo Fighter pinball playlist I created on Spotify, making Foo Fighters mods until I go to my friends house tonight to play Foo Fighters while I wait for my Foo Fighters machine to arrive hopefully next week.

So good!

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6OOf1ssLMVBoyJ8irddNX9?si=o83A1xfcRW-8RYAdWrXB4w

#1349 12 months ago

Man, this is a fast and brutal game (which is my preference I've only played about 12 games, but they've been very short! My angle might be a little on the steep side @ 7, so I guess I could bring it down a bit if necessary.

Big relief, since I find both GZ and Rush to be very long playing games (and I was in the mood for something more brutal). Very uncommon for me to play more than 1 or 2 games of GZ/Rush.

#1350 12 months ago

Game is beating my ass at 7 degrees, I love it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
Slipstream Mod Shop

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinsburg, WV
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Northwood, OH
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Playfield - Protection
Gameroom Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
BomberMods

Lighting - Interactive
Rocket City Pinball

$ 26.50
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Burlington, VT
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 53.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 175.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 13,167 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 264.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/foo-fighters-official-owners-club-rock-aliens/page/27?hl=pinball-obsessed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.