Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

68fd0ce7-7b42-4d18-a111-2830616e5582_text.gif
cat-and-mouse-funny.gif
giphy (4).gif
CEA8C2C8-E922-427E-B799-F6DB6CAEBFE3 (resized).jpeg
2E1B9309-8D4D-45E0-A8D6-9EA285411B89 (resized).png
There are 219 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 1 year ago

Will be interesting to see if Stern comes down on this. Not sure how comfortable they would be with someone profiting off of reading their communications channel. From a legal perspective, is a pretty clear violation of the user licensing agreement.

They haven't really been cracking down on the pinball browser mod stuff, but it also hasn't been a clear commercial undertaking.

Will wait and see I guess. I hope they don't, because looking forward to what can be accomplished with the new board and the Foo Area 51 mod.

#52 1 year ago

Where is the violation you refer to?

Quoted from paul_8788:

Will be interesting to see if Stern comes down on this. Not sure how comfortable they would be with someone profiting off of reading their communications channel. From a legal perspective, is a pretty clear violation of the user licensing agreement.
They haven't really been cracking down on the pinball browser mod stuff, but it also hasn't been a clear commercial undertaking.
Will wait and see I guess. I hope they don't, because looking forward to what can be accomplished with the new board and the Foo Area 51 mod.

#54 1 year ago

Yeah the TOS is pretty clear about it. Just sign out of IC and you’re on your own if you burn your house down lol.

#55 1 year ago
Quoted from Apollo18:

Seems to me that now with the mods
A mere $500 USD gets the pro upgraded to a Premium with better art.
Deadpost
Upper PF Area 51
Van mod
Overlord Soaceship (*without magnet)
*not sure how much added joy that magnet provides anyway.
I am impressed. Well done pinheads.
Really did not expect the deadpost to work, let alone be Better with added modes of gameplay.
Crazy !

Someone’s working on adding an upper playfield to the pro?? Where can I find that?

#56 1 year ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/foo-fighters-area-51-building-mod

Quoted from Ampsquare:

Someone’s working on adding an upper playfield to the pro?? Where can I find that?

#57 1 year ago

Replacement for the Area 51 building, not the entire upper playfield.

#58 1 year ago

Still really cool
And pretty much 50% of the upper PF lol

Probably look much better as well with lighting and custom programming of lights

Quoted from paul_8788:

Replacement for the Area 51 building, not the entire upper playfield.

#59 1 year ago

IC is stupid and is just a Trojan horse. Count me in.

#60 1 year ago

The area 51 building mod is for premium and le. They looking into adding to pro

#61 1 year ago
Quoted from Apollo18:

Still really cool

Disagree that it is 50% of anything. For the Pro, it will just be a 3d sculpt instead of a flat plastic that the ball passes through. The upper playfield has actual shots, spinners, targets.

I agree it is cool, but to say it is an upper playfield replacement is hyperbole.

#62 1 year ago
Quoted from Jokerman:

…considering that the dead post was the #1 distinguishing feature in the features matrix between the pro and the premium/le and the incremental $2,700 price difference between those models - and your foo post has “additional fun stuff thrown in”, I wouldn’t be complacent about flying under the radar. I’d have a flak jacket ready, and wouldn’t underestimate Stern’s determination to protect their pricing differentials.

This is a "Foo Post" not a "Dead Post." Who knows, you may get a nasty-gram from one of Seth's lawyers, but your product is different and I applaud your ingenuity.

#63 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

IC is stupid and is just a Trojan horse. Count me in.

Not so much thinking it will be a problem for the end user, other than Stern maybe issuing an update that makes the custom board not work. However I can see the maker/seller of the mod getting hit with a cease and desist. Really depends on how bent Stern will be about it.

#64 1 year ago

I said “upper PF Area 51”

Did not mean to imply upper PF.
Seems that has upset you.

Quoted from paul_8788:

Disagree that it is 50% of anything. For the Pro, it will just be a 3d sculpt instead of a flat plastic that the ball passes through. The upper playfield has actual shots, spinners, targets.
I agree it is cool, but to say it is an upper playfield replacement is hyperbole.

#65 1 year ago
Quoted from Jokerman:

considering that the dead post was the #1 distinguishing feature in the features matrix between the pro and the premium/le and the incremental $2,700 price difference between those models -

Apart from a huge upper playfield.

Curious out the Pro handles the ball save without the post. Does it just give you a new ball as soon as it hits the switch, or does it wait until the ball returns to the trough?

#66 1 year ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Not so much thinking it will be a problem for the end user, other than Stern maybe issuing an update that makes the custom board not work. However I can see the maker/seller of the mod getting hit with a cease and desist. Really depends on how bent Stern will be about it.

Stern will have to decide what is more important: pissing off 99.9 percent of the pin community by somehow blocking this amazing Foo Post mod or laying low and embracing its customers by quietly acknowledging this mod.

#67 1 year ago
Quoted from Apollo18:

I said “upper PF Area 51”

Did not mean to imply upper PF.
Seems that has upset you.

Just correcting your misstatements. You linked the Area 51 building mod as a response to this:

Quoted from Ampsquare:

Incorrect in two ways. Currently not being offered for the Pro, and not adding an upper playfield. I pointed out the error, and you doubled down with:

Quoted from Apollo18:

Still really cool

Which to me actually says "upper PF", not "upper PF Area", and the building is not 50% of what the upper PF offers.

So, not upset about anything, just correcting misunderstandings. I am in on the Area 51 mod, I think it looks cool.

#68 1 year ago
Quoted from gandamack:

Stern will have to decide what is more important: pissing off 99.9 percent of the pin community by somehow blocking this amazing Foo Post mod or laying low and embracing its customers by quietly acknowledging this mod.

Not a lawyer, but might not be that simple. If they allow this mod to pass, could be seen as a precedent for allowing reverse engineering of their platform. Companies like to protect their IP.

#69 1 year ago
Quoted from gandamack:

Stern could nip this in the bud and release their own deadpost accessory for the Pro. Seems like easy money and would put money in their pockets vs. The mod makers.

#70 1 year ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Not a lawyer, but might not be that simple. If they allow this mod to pass, could be seen as a precedent for allowing reverse engineering of their platform. Companies like to protect their IP.

Agree. Not a lawyer either. I guess the smart thing to do is get this mod now, lol.

#71 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Curious out the Pro handles the ball save without the post. Does it just give you a new ball as soon as it hits the switch, or does it wait until the ball returns to the trough?

So current code waits until the ball enters the trough to kick out a ball from the virtual ball save during Overdrive. So if the ball hits the Foo post and re-enters play, all is still Good.

But in addition to the left outlane switch, this will also have the ability to be triggered by the action button if you choose, thus allowing the pro player to get the Overdrive award ball save and potentially save their “Foo Post” for a future save.

#72 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Stern could nip this in the bud and release their own deadpost accessory for the Pro. Seems like easy money and would put money in their pockets vs. The mod makers.

They miss a lot of opportunity for more revenue and sure they will let this pass. But dang they have the parts, the node 8 board is there, hole is in the playfield. So easy for them. Just sell a post kit for 99.99

#73 1 year ago

Please add me to the list for the + version, thanks!

#74 1 year ago

Just hold the left flipper up and bang it back like a man if you want the same exact ball back so badly.

#75 1 year ago

Good evening! Please add me to the list for the +version!

Thanks!

#76 1 year ago
Quoted from Apollo18:

Seems to me that now with the mods
A mere $500 USD gets the pro upgraded to a Premium with better art.
Deadpost
Upper PF Area 51
Van mod
Overlord Soaceship (*without magnet)
*not sure how much added joy that magnet provides anyway.
I am impressed. Well done pinheads.
Really did not expect the deadpost to work, let alone be Better with added modes of gameplay.
Crazy !

1. This mod is $240
2. The Area 51 building is $280 as I recall (it's NOT an upper playfield)
3. The current print of the Overlord is around $70 and is not on the level of the premium 3d casting. No offense to the guy making them, I'm just stating the obvious.
4. The van print has yet to be priced. I'm going to guess somewhere around $150 painted, probably more if there is lighting and such.

So, first, it's NOT $500. The current estimate for the available mods is around $750 and probably more. Second, it doesn't include the upper playfield at all. Third, it doesn't include the option of adding the expression lights (if that's something the buyer cares about).

So yeah, your statement is pretty much false.

#77 1 year ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

1. This mod is $240
2. The Area 51 building is $230 as I recall (it's NOT an upper playfield)
3. The current print of the Overlord is around $70 and is NOT on the level of the premium 3d casting.
4. The van print has yet to be priced. I'm going to guess somewhere around $150 painted, maybe more.
So, first, it's NOT $500. The current estimate for the available mods is around $700 and maybe more. Second, it doesn't include the upper playfield at all.
So yeah, your statement is pretty much false.

what about the better flow on the pro? How do you price that ; )

I'm actually joking though - haven't played the prem yet!

#78 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

what about the better flow on the pro? How do you price that ; )
I'm actually joking though - haven't played the prem yet!

Don't get me started on the "better flow" argument again. I was just playing my premium and it flows like anything.

#79 1 year ago

add me to the list for splitter + please

#80 1 year ago

The van print has yet to be priced. I'm going to guess somewhere around $150 painted

The guy doing the van did a bond tank and was asking $700+ if you think he is going to go $150 for that van you are crazy.

#82 1 year ago

I was hoping for this mod, but this is beyond my wildest expectations. Please put me on the list for + package!

#83 1 year ago

Is it possible to buy this lolly board separately? I think this would be perfect to control the animated grogu mod for mandalorian based on events.

#84 1 year ago

Add to list

#85 1 year ago
Quoted from Charliew65:

The guy doing the van did a bond tank and was asking $700+ if you think he is going to go $150 for that van you are crazy

Really? It's that guy? Diddy.... come in Diddy.... take a pause making powerlines and shift attention to van....over.

#87 1 year ago

Splitter plus please

#88 1 year ago

Please add me to the list

#89 1 year ago

Don't add me to the list YET!

I use the old lift and shift method and its free for all machines
buy as i get older , well

#90 1 year ago

Not quite sure why some of you think reading the stern node bus is illegal? It’s not encrypted and is just basic commands telling the hardware what to do and receiving some switch data back. Pin Stadiums and loads of other mods read state information (in a really crude way) via lamp outputs this is just the same thing just far far better way of doing it. If I was Pin Stadium I’d actually be kicking my self for not doing it this way sooner! Get rid of those dodgy paper clips and integrate your mod correctly!

Would love to know how you decoded the node bus though

I also think a stand alone lollipop board mod by itself which decodes the bus then using its config allows you to act on all the various game events would be amazing and open the door for so many mod makers. Start creating some truly game integrated mods.

#91 1 year ago

Put me on the list please. I can do without 6 inch mini playfield shots, but the dead post is something nobodies ever seen before and really should have been on the pro. Awesome to see how sophisticated the modding community is becoming.

#92 1 year ago

Please add us

#93 1 year ago
Quoted from russdx:

Not quite sure why some of you think reading the stern node bus is illegal? It’s not encrypted and is just basic commands telling the hardware what to do and receiving some switch data back. Pin Stadiums and loads of other mods read state information (in a really crude way) via lamp outputs this is just the same thing just far far better way of doing it. If I was Pin Stadium I’d actually be kicking my self for not doing it this way sooner! Get rid of those dodgy paper clips and integrate your mod correctly!
Would love to know how you decoded the node bus though
I also think a stand alone lollipop board mod by itself which decodes the bus then using its config allows you to act on all the various game events would be amazing and open the door for so many mod makers. Start creating some truly game integrated mods.

I don't think it's illegal but I would bet Stern is going to do something with a code update to make it so that this "Foo post" doesn't work right. It's not illegal but it's also a feature of the Premium that was meant for the premium and not the pro so they will protect their business.

#94 1 year ago

I don't think it's illegal but I would bet Stern is going to do something with a code update to make it so that this "Foo post" doesn't work right. It's not illegal but it's also a feature of the Premium that was meant for the premium and not the pro so they will protect their business.

I was telling a buddy this exact thing. I just feel that the mod is terrific, but can see Stern working a way out of it. Only time will tell. It is a great mod, so maybe they won't. Hell... that should teach them for leaving the hole in there. Lol

#95 1 year ago

There is no list, people.

Quoted from rkelley17:

Please put me on the list for one! Thanks!

You are now known as the pied piper

#96 1 year ago

I'm just not grasping nine different rulesets and an LED scorecard for a ball save post. Wouldn't you have to intentionally drain frequently through the left out lane to even see the full scope of this?

#97 1 year ago

Thanks for all the awesome feedback everyone, I didn't anticipate it creating this much of a discussion! These are all things we've discussed in lead up to release, and while it's certainly a risk that something will be done to shut it down, I think it would be very sad if that was to happen. Either way - this mod will still exist - either by using this method, or by direct sensing. In fact, if the worst was to happen and the protocol changed (and we couldn't adapt to that change) moving to a direct sensing daughterboard would be a simple and manageable option. However, as russdx points out, reading from the node bus is a far more elegant and 'leave no trace' solution, so in terms of the mod scene, I would be disappointed if we couldn't pursue this as a viable alternative to croc clips and t-splicing. I would love it if Stern embraced this a great thing for pinball.

Now as far as the actual tech goes, I just want to do a quick shout out to Ashram56 my hacking partner in crime who always provides invaluable counsel in these dark endeavours. Vincent is currently working on a SAM sensing kit for his Tron mod (more bus hacking), so make sure you check that out, and give him props for being an awesome and clever dude.

Quoted from russdx:

A couple of people have reached out already and we are certainly open to supporting modders (like @novacade) who have great ideas and want to take them further. All the current mods that use this tech will be hard-coded in terms of the events they focus on, however the plan is to evolve the events UI for the lollypops so that it is fully configurable much like the Pinpoint. I'm all about enabling people who might not have the programming skills to pull off their pinball ideas - so completely relate to what you're saying!

#98 1 year ago

I am blown away by the capabilities of this pinball modding community. Really impressive

#99 1 year ago
Quoted from Vespula:

There is no list, people.

You are now known as the pied piper

Sorry! LOL

#100 1 year ago

Wow! Thank you everyone for the support and great feedback! It’s great to see the same excitement around this project that we have.

Quoted from stumblor:

Thanks for all the awesome feedback everyone, I didn't anticipate it creating this much of a discussion! These are all things we've discussed in lead up to release, and while it's certainly a risk that something will be done to shut it down, I think it would be very sad if that was to happen. Either way - this mod will still exist - either by using this method, or by direct sensing. In fact, if the worst was to happen and the protocol changed (and we couldn't adapt to that change) moving to a direct sensing daughterboard would be a simple and manageable option. However, as russdx points out, reading from the node bus is a far more elegant and 'leave no trace' solution, so in terms of the mod scene, I would be disappointed if we couldn't pursue this as a viable alternative to croc clips and t-splicing. I would love it if Stern embraced this a great thing for pinball.

stumblor said it best in his post above - this mod will still exist!

I have started an official list on a separate Spreadsheet, but I will soon add the list to the first post also, just so there is a visible record everyone can reference.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 175.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Electric Playground

7,450 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
HurryUpPinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 154.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 139.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Lermods

Wanted
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

9,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ypsilanti, MI
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 9,699.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

8,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 425.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 219 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/foo-fighter-foo-post-dead-post-mod/page/2?hl=onemilemore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.