• Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

slapshot (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider philgreg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hi,
I'll be beginning to try and redo the apron on my DE Slap Shot. I've found web sites that will identify the fonts, but they're commercial and I've found websites with free fonts but no identifier.

Do you guys know of a free font DB that also has a decent identifier (i.e. you upload a picture and it suggests fonts).

Cheers!

#3 4 years ago

Thanks. The identify tools do work well, but they all point to paying fonts - I've got a few different ones on there and I'd rather not pay >100$ worth of fonts...

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

You could always pay a graphic artist to do the work for you. Nobody likes to pay for artwork, but that's what we do for a living.

I have paid for artwork in the past repeatedly and I don't have any issues with budgeting for that in the context of a full project.
In this case I'm redoing a one-off part for a low value pinball machine and paying full commercial fee for fonts I'll be using once with only a few letters isn't an option to me if there are free alternatives - if I can't use an identifier I'll just stroll through the available free fonts to find something good enough.
I also want to do it myself because I do enjoy doing that and I'm more interested in the restoration process than I am owning the restored machine at the end of the day.

#12 4 years ago

Here's what the apron looks like.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

I previously redid the marquee from scratch as well, but I scanned the letters on the side of the machine to do it:
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Thanks for the tips folks, I'll let you know how that turns out!

#15 4 years ago

Wow, thanks man!
I had already done this one though (SLAP SHOT), the pic is the drawing I did from photographs + scans of the side of the machine.
As for the other one, it's part of the fun for me so I don't mind tackling it myself.
I might have a harder time with the drawings but a friend of mine is a professional artist and may help me out if need be.

1 week later
#17 4 years ago

Sorry, I hadn't checked back on the thread... So I'm very slowly advancing on this using dr_nybble 's hack.
I'm doing a little bit here and there on lunch breaks at work - I'll be repainting the cabinet over the summer and hopefully be done with the apron by fall...

As for the Slap Shot marquee, yes I do have a vector version of it. What I posted here is just a screenshot I took - the actual printed version is clean as a whistle.

Cheers!

5 months later

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider philgreg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/font-identifier-free-fonts?tu=philgreg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.