(Topic ID: 349501)

FOMO v.s. Playing a game first and getting hooked (with poll)

By pinmister

6 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by pinmister
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“FOMO v.s. Playing a game first and getting hooked”

• FOMO for me-I want it now before I can play it-if I do not like it I can sell it-no biggie 14 votes
      12%
    • I like to play a game first and get hooked-FOMO is for suckers 70 votes
      59%
    • I like Pizza 34 votes
      29%

(118 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Larry FOMO.gif
    1981 Pizza Hut.gif
    Pizza Hut 80's. (resized).jpg
    sex is like pizza (resized).jpg
    Resistance is Futile (resized).png
    JAWS FOMO (resized).jpg
    Spock.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Bill.gif
    not that.gif
    Big Mac Pizza slice (resized).jpg
    FOMO. (resized).png
    Fomo Joker (resized).jpg
    #1 6 months ago

Do you have FOMO or do you prefer to play a game first and get hooked before pulling the trigger?

FOMO. (resized).pngFOMO. (resized).pngFomo Joker (resized).jpgFomo Joker (resized).jpg

#2 6 months ago

#3 6 months ago

^^Hayfarmer suffers from FOMO

#4 6 months ago

So recently I got hooked on some serious pizza

It's called Big Mac Pizza and taste just like a McDonald's Big Mac with secret sauce, pickles, cheddar cheese and sesame seeds on the crust-oh so tasty!

Big Mac Pizza slice (resized).jpgBig Mac Pizza slice (resized).jpg
    #5 6 months ago

Elwin Jaws is what made me think of this thread. I passed on Godzilla LE because I did not think I would have a connection with the theme.
    Over time playing the game it really grew on me and made me want to have it. It felt really good playing a game first and letting it grow on me before pulling the trigger. Elwins AIQ did very little for me playing it and makes me think not every Elwin game is going to garner FOMO. Are there enough games/manufacturers now that waiting a few extra months will be worth it or is FOMO too strong to resist?

#6 6 months ago

Depends on game theme and designer.
    RUSH I had to have. Bought it w/o playing it. Based on theme.
    Jaws not so much. I'll wait it out play it and see. Not stoked on theme. The white on the LE is not awesome. If gameplay is there maybe a Prem.

#7 6 months ago

When its a Elwin game I always get FOMO
    Only designer that will survive this economy with FOMO intact

#8 6 months ago
    Quoted from pokerag2:

Depends on game theme and designer.
    RUSH I had to have. Bought it w/o playing it. Based on theme.

I'm with you. Rush is the only game I would buy before playing. It could have been the biggest turd ever and I wouldn't have been upset. Thank God it's a great game.

#9 6 months ago

100% depends on the manufacturer and theme.

LCD Stern has only ever made one pin I actively dislike to flip, and that is Venom. They have a fantastic track record that the game will be fun to flip. If they dropped Weird Al, Futurama, Harry Potter, or a Nintendo based pin (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon), I'd order it knowing it would be a theme that I loved and would be fun (with Venom being the only miss).

If JJP dropped Harry Potter, Weird Al, Futurama, or a Nintendo based pin, I would be very interested but I would play it first as I have disliked most JJP pins I've rotated through my basement after a few months.

So... I'd blindly trust Stern for my dream theme, but no-one else.

#10 6 months ago

I wouldnt buy anything without seeing it and looking it over in the real world. If I was a super rich guy maybe Id feel differently, but I just cant understand buying something for 7000 to 10000 dollars without even knowing if Im gonna like it or the quality of the build. I dont really suffer from FOMO and couldnt care less about an “LE”, these are amusement devices, not collectables to me. Time goes by fast and these games always come up for sale used a few months later when they can be looked over in person.

#11 6 months ago

Make friends. I'm spoiled, one of my closest friends is a distro, another owns a huge collection (over 1,800 games!) So I get to play all the games, no issues with fomo. Usually I play new games on the day they arrive at the distro, and all those LE's need to be unboxed and tested before they go to their new homes!
    The only thing I'm missing out on is American and Spooky, but I've been invited to the local distro warehouse, so I'll work on that, plus a nearby locale (Flipper room) manages to get all the new spooky games, so never any fomo, play first always.
    B

#12 6 months ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

100% depends on the manufacturer and theme.
    LCD Stern has only ever made one pin I actively dislike to flip, and that is Venom. They have a fantastic track record that the game will be fun to flip. If they dropped Weird Al, Futurama, Harry Potter, or a Nintendo based pin (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon), I'd order it knowing it would be a theme that I loved and would be fun (with Venom being the only miss).
    If JJP dropped Harry Potter, Weird Al, Futurama, or a Nintendo based pin, I would be very interested but I would play it first as I have disliked most JJP pins I've rotated through my basement after a few months.
    So... I'd blindly trust Stern for my dream theme, but no-one else.

I think blindly trusting Stern for me has to do with designer as well. Elwin is a no-brainer.
    I agree JJP just doesn't have that fun factor for me.

#13 6 months ago

If a theme is a must have and it looks great, has a good detailed video, than I have in the past purchased before playing. For instance, PF was one. Glad I did as I got in on the BMF edition. But 9 out 10 games are a play first, buy later. I also think a saturated market has changed peoples " I gotta have it this second" mentality along with real world issues like inflation etc.

#14 6 months ago

Do I have FOMO? No.

I have HOMO.

Happiness of missing out.

These are just games, why the fear? Ask yourself, if you weren't a daily visitor of Pinside, would the FOMO exist for you? Just getting caught up in what everyone else is doing and talking about. I swear that some fellas buy games just so they can discuss in the owner's thread. Their FOMO is not being in the discussion.

#15 6 months ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Do I have FOMO? No.
    I have HOMO.
    Happiness of missing out.
    These are just games, why the fear? Ask yourself, if you weren't a daily visitor of Pinside, would the FOMO exist for you? Just getting caught up in what everyone else is doing and talking about. I swear that some fellas buy games just so they can discuss in the owner's thread. Their FOMO is not being in the discussion.

not that.gifnot that.gif
    #17 6 months ago

I dont have FOMO becaue I'm not an LE buyer.
    I sometimes buy a game on release without playing it though.

#18 6 months ago

When the LE price went from 10k to 13k I say goodbye forever to LE's, at least new. Used Premiums are in my future.

#19 6 months ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Ask yourself, if you weren't a daily visitor of Pinside, would the FOMO exist for you? Just getting caught up in what everyone else is doing and talking about.

This is a great question and one I have thought about myself. If Pinside did not exist I do not think the rabbit hole would be as deep-that is for sure.

#20 6 months ago
    Quoted from spidey:

When the LE price went from 10k to 13k I say goodbye forever to LE's, at least new. Used Premiums are in my future.

Lots of modified Premiums that are starting to look like Limited Edition machines. Now if someone can perfect the mirror look with alternative backglasses that would be great.

#21 6 months ago

I ordered a TPF show Foo based on gameplay video and the theme. Happy with that machine.

I was fully planning on doing the same for Jaws but I’m not sold yet. Will wait for gameplay videos and such first. Good news is I have a few months to decide!

#22 6 months ago

I prefer to play first but you tempted me with pizza which I couldn’t say no to.

#23 6 months ago
    Quoted from EJS:

but you tempted me with pizza which I couldn’t say no to

Bill.gifBill.gif
    #24 6 months ago

I didn't buy my first machine until 3 years ago, while I am constantly thinking about what I would buy next, I'm happy to just play the games on location. I think if I bought my first pinball when I was much younger, like 20 years ago, then I'm sure I would have a much larger collection and selling games to Fomo would be a more normal thing. In my current state, I don't know why I would ever do it. Having said that my two dream themes, Ac/Dc and Star Wars I don't personally like the machines, so this idea of buying a pin based on theme is odd to me.

#25 6 months ago

Age is an issue for me-Mid 60s- my time left in this hobby is truly limited (unlike the over abundance of LE’s/CE’s). During COVID I was ordering everything sight unseen. Did I get any really dud games? Not really- even the lowest rated games have amazing designers, artists, coders, etc. Did I pay too much? Well, like my investments- no gain or loss until I sell ‘em.

No doubt my games have taken a hit in market value. Yeah it does annoy me. However I play the crap out of my games (no low play games in my collection) and the entertainment value is huge but cannot be measured monetarily.

Kaneda constantly reminds us of wait and see- we are all getting fleeced by the big corporate pinball companies. I tire of this message, but there is some truth in this.

Don (Don’s pinball) buys many new games, mods them, and then will sell them at a “used” price at a loss just like the used car market, which in the long run is more reality than what we have recently experienced. Yeah he is a content and mod creator unlike most of us.

So is it stupid or reckless to buy sight unseen? Maybe if you are buying a house. Pinball is a game designed for entertainment. They just happen to be very expensive which generates other problems/issues.

Regardless- no right or wrong here- just figure out what brings you happiness and keeps your anxieties in check.

#26 6 months ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

So recently I got hooked on some serious pizza
    It's called Big Mac Pizza and taste just like a McDonald's Big Mac with secret sauce, pickles, cheddar cheese and sesame seeds on the crust-oh so tasty!
    [quoted image]

You deserve to try a Swedish kebab pizza. That's what your FOMO should be about.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #27 6 months ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

You deserve to try a Swedish kebab pizza.

Spock.gifSpock.gif
    #28 6 months ago

Resistance is Futile for FOMO

JAWS FOMO (resized).jpgJAWS FOMO (resized).jpgResistance is Futile (resized).pngResistance is Futile (resized).png

#29 6 months ago

No FOMO here, but when a theme gets announced that the old lady is stoked on - Order Up! Worked out for DP.

Just wish she liked more themes…

#30 6 months ago

I like pizza. I buy pizza far more often than pinball.

I don’t buy based on FOMO, but there are shades of gray. I much prefer to wait and see it in person.

#31 6 months ago
    Quoted from Mahoyvan:

but when a theme gets announced that the old lady is stoked on - Order Up!

Nowadays my wife just rolls her eyes when I talk about adding more machines. She would give me the thumbs up for Goonies, OZZY, and Hannibal Lecter as she loves those franchises/artist.

#32 6 months ago

I don't have FOMO, but I will 100% admit, I love playing the newest game, watching the twitch streams, seeing the code develop. I tend to buy most new Sterns (I only do this with Stern games), play them for a several months, then sell them while the demand is still up and try not to lose too much $. (I'm not an LE buyer). I remember watching a stream with chuckwurt saying he can always buy the pro, then later get the premium if he so choses on the used market down the road.
    I typically try to let my games go while I still like them and before I get sick of them. (I keep a 4-game collection due to space restrictions).
    Part of why I do this is I have no locations near me, and due to having young kids, I don't get out much.

My recent experiences: GZ (past pro-owner) is good, it grew on me, I didn't like it initially.
    Rush (past premium owner) is an amazing game and would absolutely add it to the collection again.
    Bond (past premium owner) was a dream theme of mine, would not own again.
    Deadpool (past pro-owner) great game, just not my cup of tea.
    Beatles was a great simple game that was my first spike2. I'd absolutely own that game for the simple pinball joy that it is if I had more room.
    Star Wars (pro I still have) but looking to sell to make space for something coming out later this year.
    Scooby and BM 66 aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
    FF (haven't owned) love the band, game looks fun, but I can pass on it for now.
    Jaws (premium incoming) just because I know Elwin's games are a hit and it looks good.

#33 6 months ago
    Quoted from JustJared:

My recent experiences: GZ (past pro-owner) is good, it grew on me, I didn't like it initially.

How did it feel to let it grow on you? I did not care for Godzilla at first either and letting it grow on me felt like the right way to do it. Now I really want to play games first and let them grow on me. The feeling of missing out on good pricing or being the first to flip is no longer a big deal for me. So many good games out there with lots of manufacturers stepping up to the plate gives a good amount of variety and options to choose from. Happy to be in the current market and happy pinball is thriving.

#34 6 months ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

How did it feel to let it grow on you? I did not care for Godzilla at first either and letting it grow on me felt like the right way to do it. Now I really want to play games first and let them grow on me. The feeling of missing out on good pricing or being the first to flip is no longer a big deal for me. So many good games out there with lots of manufacturers stepping up to the plate gives a good amount of variety and options to choose from. Happy to be in the current market and happy pinball is thriving.

I agree about having a plethora of manufacturers and good games coming out. I'm really pleased with Spooky, saddened by American, and hopeful for Barrels.

I picked up GZ over a year after it's release. I figured I was missing something since everyone else raved about it. I live where there are no location games and I have to own one to play it regularly. So when I say let it grow on me, it's over time via ownership. I forgot, I also have a venom pro and have loved playing it to unlock the characters. But after 3 months, im ready to let most games move on.

#35 6 months ago
    sex is like pizza (resized).jpgsex is like pizza (resized).jpg
    #36 6 months ago

Pizza Hut 80's. (resized).jpgPizza Hut 80's. (resized).jpg
    1981 Pizza Hut.gif1981 Pizza Hut.gif

#37 6 months ago
    Larry FOMO.gifLarry FOMO.gif

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.