Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Daditude
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What are you trying to achieve with your lineup?”

• A specific theme 0 votes
    • A varied collection 2 votes
      67%
    • The cheapest pins possible 0 votes
    • The absolute best pins possible 1 vote
      33%
    • I get whatever I can get with no plans 0 votes

(3 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190602_160842 (resized).jpg
    download (1) (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

I had an interesting discussion the other day with a fellow pin collector about our pinball lineups and collections in general. He is the type of guy that likes to buy when he sees something interesting, but he NEVER sells. I am kind of the opposite. I try to focus on what I am specifically looking for, and I will sell or trade to get there.

In a perfect world, we could all buy 1,000 pinball machines, have a place to put them at and play them, and have tons of money left over for bills and random spending. Well, in real life, that doesn't happen. We all have to have some type of plan...whether it is focused...or the non-plan plan...like my friend. Heck...you may not even realize that you had a plan. I just said "plan" a lot...well...what's one more?:

Here was my plan (see what I did there?):

I am into themes a lot. Of course, toys and gimmicks, lighting, gameplay, and innovation are very important as well, but I prefer to enjoy them within the confines of themes I like. My favorites are movies, fantasy, robots, and sci-fi.

I also like pins from all eras and makers. I find that variety is truly the spice of life, and pins are no different. I love newer pins with tons of toys, but I also like the chimes and bells on EMs...
    the robotic voices on early ss pins, the style and innovation on dmds, the wacky themes of some late 80s pins, etc. I also find that I get tired of playing the same style continuously, though I like them a lot. In short, I like to have several "styles" of pins for my collection.

Unlike some others, I can also appreciate different makers. Sure, I lean towards my favorites, but I feel all have something to offer (both past and present). They all have strengths and weaknesses.

Lastly, I really like pins that are varied from one another. Have multiple pins with all ramps is great if you have a large collection...but I don't have the room. I like ramps, drop targets, multiple play field's, bash toys, etc. I am a believer in having a good variety of all.

My current lineup is a 1979 ball paragon, 1986 Williams pinbot, 1993 data east Jurassic park, 2003 stern lord of the rings, and a 2013 jersey jack pinball wizard of oz emerald city limited edition, and a 1982 bally vector. I am very happy with it. All different eras, different makers, different play styles...and great themes; 3 movies, 1 robot/sci-fi, and 2 fantasy/sci-fi...all with great artwork too.

I also like to fix up pins on the side, so that has helped me see what I like best, and even helped switch out the lineup a few times when I find a "gem."

I am sure that like most other collectors, I will change it up at some point. I hope to keep it varied as much as possible, however. I always try to keep in mind what my favorite pins are from each era and what my "wish list" pins are in case I come across them at reasonable prices. Who knows? I may have a completely different lineup in a year or two.

What is your lineup focus?

#2 4 years ago

Boy. I don't have a focus on a particular theme, but I do like different era Gottlieb games - not exclusively. Also I have grown to like some early 90s Capcom, late 80s Data East, and of course some classic SS Bally (early 80s) and SS Williams (early 80s-early 90s).

I've mostly sought out Gottlieb, Data East, Capcom and Bally games in those time periods in themes that interest me. I - of course - have had to become familiar with working on the games, and prefer the systems involved on those systems. Gottlieb games are the ones I prefer to work on as they're usually simpler to fix. That's probably a good part of the reason I have so many Gottlieb games.

Good luck with your collection!

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Fun.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

They are ALL fun. Care to expound?

Ahhh you never owned a GB eh?

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Whatever I can get good for a good price.

#7 4 years ago

I also want to have a nice well rounded collection of varied styles. Current line up is Bally Mata Hari SS, Williams Sorcerer, Gottlieb Haunted House, Williams BSD, Stern Iron Maiden, Spooky TNA. I don't foresee much change but want to eventually get to a 10 machine collection and continue to keep my eyes open for different styles to complement my current collection.

#8 4 years ago

2 Blondes
    2 Brunettes
    2 Red heads
    1 bald chick,

That's the perfect lineup and something to always peak your interest. You're welcome.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Ahhh you never owned a GB eh?

Change the flippers and it's a great game

#10 4 years ago

I've kicked around the idea of working towards a "Best of" collection, something like:

Best Early Solid State
    Best System 11
    Best Rules
    Best Modern Pin
    Etc.

Currently I have Whirlwind (best system 11 IMHO), Lord of the Rings (Best Rules) and STTNG (? best widebody although you could make a case for Twilight Zone here but you could also make a case for STTNG as Best Call Outs).

Maybe looking towards adding a Best Early Solid State machine. Not sure what that one is yet though!

Obviously these are all subjective and YMMV.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Change the flippers and it's a great game

Flippers aren't the issue.

#12 4 years ago

Lineup- priorities
    -Price
    -It has to have high replay value
    -Games that you cant play many places get a bonus checkbox -(rarity helps)
    -It has to be difficult or have short ball times - you can modify this on every game so it’s very important but since you can change it, it’s lower on priority list
    -70’s+80’s titles get a bonus checkbox
    -everything else just isn’t that important to me

I generally list my games from top to bottom and the ones near the bottom that could easily be replaced in the current condition leave when I find something that fits better with the items listed above.

#13 4 years ago

games i played back in the arcades

my focus now is late EMs, SS and sys11 era
    while i do enjoy early DMD, i never played them on location

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

I've kicked around the idea of working towards a "Best of" collection, something like:
    Best Early Solid State
    Best System 11
    Best Rules
    Best Modern Pin
    Etc.
    Currently I have Whirlwind (best system 11 IMHO), Lord of the Rings (Best Rules) and STTNG (? best widebody although you could make a case for Twilight Zone here but you could also make a case for STTNG as Best Call Outs).
    Maybe looking towards adding a Best Early Solid State machine. Not sure what that one is yet though!
    Obviously these are all subjective and YMMV.

It is hard to say because everyone will be different but certainly Paragon, Flash Gordon, or Eight Ball deluxe have to be in the consideration.

#15 4 years ago

Since I got rid of all the led bulbs, it has been a lot easier to focus on my lineup.

#16 4 years ago

Really good thread and interesting topic.

My take:
    For a smaller collection, up to 5 or 8 pins, the most important question will be how to balance or include/exclude a common theme with the importance of variety. Even though I like horror themed pins I could not imagine putting Freddy Krueger+ BSD+ MSF+Scared Stiff+ Haunted House in a home lineup - even if it would look awesome on display. It would feel to onesided.

I could imagine the following games in a perfect five machine line-up

Adventure (LOTR or Spidey)
    Horror (BSD)
    Fun (No Good Goofers)
    Old School ( Joker Poker )
    Sci-Fi ( Johnny Mnemonic)

If a sixth game could be added -it would be a EM-player. Most likely one of Gottliebs Wedgeheads. I would probably stick with my current title Ice Revue- which looks great. My wishlist for alternatives would include Card Whiz or Target Pool.

An awesome mix, with depth enough to make it interesting.

#17 4 years ago

Well you need an AFM, the ruler of all sci fi games !

#18 4 years ago

I thought I wanted some from all mfgs and eras, but after a Rescue 911, I see why alot of people shy away from Gottlieb DMDs. I mostly focus on Williams for newer and Gottliebs for EMs.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

I thought I wanted some from all mfgs and eras, but after a Rescue 911, I see why alot of people shy away from Gottlieb DMDs. I mostly focus on Williams for newer and Gottliebs for EMs.

R911 isn't one of gottlieb's best games. There are better ones that are more worthwhile, so don't let that game make you want to write off all of them.

Imagine if the only williams game you ever played was Hurricane.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

download (1) (resized).jpgdownload (1) (resized).jpg
    #21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

Stargate is one of my favorite games, regardless of maker

#22 4 years ago

It's been 4 years now in this whacky hobby and up until recently I was all Stern and WPC games. The past year I've been trying my best to mix things up, as I've played most of the DMD hits, and have developed an appreciation for the older stuff.

Present situation:

-EM X 1
    -Early 80's Bally X 3
    -WPC X 3
    -Modern Stern X 4
    -JJP X2

I'm at capacity, so I'll probably end up eventually shedding both of my JJPs and a WPC (Monster Bash) to pick up a system 11 and a couple classic Sterns. Oh, and a Beatles, I really want one price be damned

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

It's been 4 years now in this whacky hobby and up until recently I was all Stern and WPC games. The past year I've been trying my best to mix things up, as I've played most of the DMD hits, and have developed an appreciation for the older stuff.
    Present situation:
    -EM X 1
    -Early 80's Bally X 3
    -WPC X 3
    -Modern Stern X 4
    -JJP X2
    I'm at capacity, so I'll probably end up eventually shedding both of my JJPs and a WPC (Monster Bash) to pick up a system 11 and a couple classic Sterns. Oh, and a Beatles, I really want one price be damned

Great lineup. MB is a top 5 pin for me

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

R911 isn't one of gottlieb's best games. There are better ones that are more worthwhile, so don't let that game make you want to write off all of them.

Wait, Hurricane isn’t a good game? I am asking genuinely

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Well it is on my short list, mostly because I have Cyclone and Comet already. I want to complete the set.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Put it this way, it's no Comet.

Quoted from Tomass:

I want to complete the set.

I'd set my sights on something else.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

Well it is on my short list, mostly because I have Cyclone and Comet already. I want to complete the set.

You've got the best two.

Hurricane is why there wasn't a fourth one.

-Paul

#28 4 years ago

Yeah, I get it. It is more of a completion thing for me. I have the room. It's not like one will pop up anytime soon where I am at anyway.

#29 4 years ago

From what I've heard Cyclone is the best of the three rollercoaster pins. I think Hurricane is considered the weakest for some reason. I haven't played it personally.

#30 4 years ago

I would agree that Cyclone is my favorite by far.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

From what I've heard Cyclone is the best of the three rollercoaster pins. I think Hurricane is considered the weakest for some reason. I haven't played it personally.

I love syst 11 but comet simply rocks.
    Classic

#32 4 years ago

Cyclone is my favorite, next is hurricane, comet drags up the rear

#33 4 years ago

Not here.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinasco:

Really good thread and interesting topic.
    My take:
    For a smaller collection, up to 5 or 8 pins, the most important question will be how to balance or include/exclude a common theme with the importance of variety. Even though I like horror themed pins I could not imagine putting Freddy Krueger+ BSD+ MSF+Scared Stiff+ Haunted House in a home lineup - even if it would look awesome on display. It would feel to onesided.
    I could imagine the following games in a perfect five machine line-up
    Adventure (LOTR or Spidey)
    Horror (BSD)
    Fun (No Good Goofers)
    Old School ( Joker Poker )
    Sci-Fi ( Johnny Mnemonic)
    If a sixth game could be added -it would be a EM-player. Most likely one of Gottliebs Wedgeheads. I would probably stick with my current title Ice Revue- which looks great. My wishlist for alternatives would include Card Whiz or Target Pool.
    An awesome mix, with depth enough to make it interesting.

Funny, I went with an all-monster theme, mostly because my game room is going to be a haunted mansion room, I'm using an Arduino to run some of the effects. Some of the early pins I purchased (WH20, FT, RBION, RABAF, Popeye) are going to be moved to a different room. Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle and Elvira 3 will be the final additions to the monster collection, unless I stumble into money and can pick up a MBSE.

#35 4 years ago

No current theme, I base it on funds available, what is not common in the area, and what I find interesting or fun. Current line up Black Jack, Circus, Alien Poker, Road Kings, F-14 Tomcat, IMDN, and trading Fish Tales for a T2.

#36 4 years ago

I bought a Hurricane to complete the set. Turns out I'm enjoying it a lot more than I imagined.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from jaytrem:

I bought a Hurricane to complete the set. Turns out I'm enjoying it a lot more than I imagined.

So, what's your pecking order on the 3 (hurricane, cyclone, comet)?

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

All 3 super close, but probably Cyclone, Hurricane, Comet. I'm not sure Cyclone doesn't win due to it being the game I grew up playing all the time.

#39 4 years ago

Does anyone have a pic of a "monster" lineup, circus lineup, or something of the like?

I've always thought a magic lineup would be cool. Maybe mata hari, Houdini, theatre of magic, abra cadabra, pinball magic

#40 4 years ago

4 coaster pins in one shot. Comet is at my mom's.

20190602_160842 (resized).jpg20190602_160842 (resized).jpg
    #41 4 years ago
    Quoted from jaytrem:

4 coaster pins in one shot. Comet is at my mom's.[quoted image]

Awesome!!!

#42 4 years ago

Thanks. Slightly old pic, that couch was evicted when I picked up 2 non-coaster pins at an estate sale.

#43 4 years ago

I was thinking about this just a few weeks ago when I sold my one remaining alpha-numeric game, Space Station (shouldn't have).

I told my wife all of a sudden it seems like we are DMD heavy. 12 dmd games, 7 SS, and 2 ems. I liked having a representation of each of the eras from the past 50 years or so.

Theme wise, I tend to like the monster/space themes. The wife thinks the collection is getting a little "dark", so looking for a Flintstones to lighten things up.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I say add a poll.

I played Hurricane and didn't care for it much at all. Had 2 Cyclones, one super nice one and both are gone now. My Comet is getting to the never leaving stage now.

#45 4 years ago

My collection and tastes have gone in the direction of different designers. This was not conscious. I have Mark Richie, Steve Richie, gomez, Trudeau, Elwin, Popadiuk, Norman and eddy to name a few. Throw in a Stars and Abbra ca dabra and it is always new.

#46 4 years ago

New collector here but i'm grouping in different styles. I have a pin section for modern fast pins, i have The Hobbit, Deadpool and Spiderman so far in that section, Then a late 70's section for the art, i have Lost World, Genie and have just bought the Sorcerer (grail pin) from uncivil_engineer that he has restored which will sit in between those.
    Then i am building a DMD/early SS section of which Hurricane is the first.
    I have a Royal Flush on the way to start my EM section.

I mostly buy on art, then theme, then gameplay reviews and owners ratings.

#47 4 years ago

There has to be more lineup themes out there.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/focusing-on-a-lineup-?hl=pbearwood and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.