Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jhummel
  • Topic is favorited by 42 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

64F05354-9846-4832-9E06-06AF3EBCF331 (resized).jpeg
    65019DA7-A821-4431-A909-C4E82F800671 (resized).jpeg
    FAA717BC-F3F8-4FCD-9166-73B59E9B34E4 (resized).jpeg
    03801EF6-BE77-47AC-A2D7-21A2AA1AA4FF (resized).jpeg
    1A75AE74-0A01-4943-A5C0-733113ADEE2B (resized).jpeg
    A14954E1-43B3-4A9A-9C24-D47A9AFD4D11 (resized).jpeg
    0B87EB1E-320F-4518-BE12-77CF3A1DF0CC (resized).jpeg
    3A19FA5C-29E2-4855-B999-2AE69B58F3A5 (resized).jpeg
    F2DA554C-1D0A-4B1B-A2C5-F6B402D6BCAA (resized).jpeg
    CB8C6831-3149-4C26-A76C-3D4AF72614C7 (resized).jpeg
    EAE6FD2F-C3C0-41FA-8C92-A8E6CF0C2628 (resized).jpeg
    51B4FB61-5534-412F-993D-8B1EDD759CAC (resized).jpeg
    0478FEAC-E81A-4D4B-81FB-ECC16625AE7C (resized).jpeg
    4A797742-9BAD-419C-A087-7E373F75802C (resized).jpeg
    25903D11-F7D5-4B7B-8EA2-619703CFB6FB (resized).jpeg
    48466F08-7D05-443E-A991-2910E15A008D (resized).jpeg
    There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago

Thanks everyone. It’s been a very stressful and challenging process. I’m very glad it’s over. Wish I didn’t have to pick up all the extra work to pay it off. Never wanna leave the man cave. But if you’re in the Evergreen area stop on by.

#52 5 years ago

By far the coolest games room i have ever seen. Amazing!!!

#53 5 years ago

Very nice game room! When's the pinball party?

#54 5 years ago

Im sorry but Flynn’s arcade never looked nearly as nice as this.

#55 5 years ago

Awesome

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from Waldo:

Thanks everyone. It’s been a very stressful and challenging process. I’m very glad it’s over. Wish I didn’t have to pick up all the extra work to pay it off. Never wanna leave the man cave. But if you’re in the Evergreen area stop on by.

You may end up regretting that offer.
    Have a Family reunion in July in Beaver Meadows Ranch ... which I'm planning on driving to...
    That just happens to be on the way from TX.

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

More
    wait - is that really true? Houses in California don't generally have basements? Even in the suburbs?

Been living here for 45+ years, have visited homes all over the southern, middle, and northern parts of the state, and have never seen a single basement.

#58 5 years ago

Wow... you have more money than sense, but what an amazing way to spend it. Stunning.

#59 5 years ago

Earthquakes in Cali = No Basements

Amazing and Congrats!

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

You may end up regretting that offer.
    Have a Family reunion in July in Beaver Meadows Ranch ... which I'm planning on driving to...
    That just happens to be on the way from TX.

bring your hunting gear. the elk are in abundance!

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Been living here for 45+ years, have visited homes all over the southern, middle, and northern parts of the state, and have never seen a single basement.

We have a basement, but our house was built in the 1920's. Let me know if you are in the area and I'll let you check ours out. You can stay and play Whirlwind and High Speed while you're here!

Quoted from TKDalumni:

Earthquakes in Cali = No Basements

It has nothing to do with earthquakes. In fact, basements increase the stability of a home and help prevent earthquake damage...said the guy without an engineering degree.

Part of the issue is that basements exist in most places because you need to build the foundation below the frost line (generally 3 - 4 feet) so if you are already digging that far down, there is only an incremental cost to go down a few more feet. In California, you don't need to account for the frost line. Our last house (built in 1948) was built on pillars that varied from 18" to 3 feet off the ground.

Also, from what I understand, the building boom out here after WWII was so frenetic that builders simply didn't want to mess with anything unnecessary that would slow them down.

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

We have a basement, but our house was built in the 1920's. Let me know if you are in the area and I'll let you check ours out. You can stay and play Whirlwind and High Speed while you're here!

It has nothing to do with earthquakes. In fact, basements increase the stability of a home and help prevent earthquake damage...said the guy without an engineering degree.
    Part of the issue is that basements exist in most places because you need to build the foundation below the frost line (generally 3 - 4 feet) so if you are already digging that far down, there is only an incremental cost to go down a few more feet. In California, you don't need to account for the frost line. Our last house (built in 1948) was built on pillars that varied from 18" to 3 feet off the ground.
    Also, from what I understand, the building boom out here after WWII was so frenetic that builders simply didn't want to mess with anything unnecessary that would slow them down.

Cool, thanks for the invite! I think another issue with basements at least in some areas is the stability of the ground and the height of the water table. Here in Huntington Beach there are lots of areas where you cannot even get a wood floor installed, they will refuse to do it because of the moisture. If you want wood flooring, they always will pull up part of the floor and install one of those moisture meters (or several actually) which they let sit several days to determine the moisture situation with the foundation. I knew one guy who had to go to a bunch of different businesses and finally convinced one to put in wood flooring, but he had to sign a document releasing them from any and all future warranty work, repair work, damage to the product, etc. This is not a house close to the beach either.

#63 5 years ago

Pinsiders, we have a Winner...
    Wow, just, Wow!

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

More
    Cool, thanks for the invite! I think another issue with basements at least in some areas is the stability of the ground and the height of the water table. Here in Huntington Beach there are lots of areas where you cannot even get a wood floor installed, they will refuse to do it because of the moisture. If you want wood flooring, they always will pull up part of the floor and install one of those moisture meters (or several actually) which they let sit several days to determine the moisture situation with the foundation. I knew one guy who had to go to a bunch of different businesses and finally convinced one to put in wood flooring, but he had to sign a document releasing them from any and all future warranty work, repair work, damage to the product, etc. This is not a house close to the beach either.

Oh, I'm sure that's the case too. Not a lot of basements in Florida either!

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

So no issues with being IN a basement during an earthquake? Surely, you have experience since you state FACT...

1000's of new homes have been built in Northridge, since the last BIG Cali quake centered in Northridge. Preventing further EQ damage would be priority, so please enlighten me on why they chose not not. Feel free to take it to PM, so we don't clutter up this awesomness that is Flynn's Arcade 2.0

#66 5 years ago

Incredible! Makes me want to bust out my pick axe and start digging a basement. To achieve square footage like yours I'd end up tunneling half way across the street and probably part way under my neighbor's house.

#67 5 years ago

I suspect this sets the high bar for pinball-based man caves anywhere in the world, but I'm happy to be corrected. And invited to inspect...

I love the Flynn's (neon?) sign too. Can I ask where you got it from? Custom job?

#68 5 years ago

This guy wins... at least until a Saudi prince gets the bug and builds a series of islands layed out like flippers and pops.

#69 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chambo:

I suspect this sets the high bar for pinball-based man caves anywhere in the world, but I'm happy to be corrected. And invited to inspect...
    I love the Flynn's (neon?) sign too. Can I ask where you got it from? Custom job?

It’s actually EL wire we custom made but honestly having problems with it - it’s not even lit up in the pics. Found a neon sign off EBay. Will have to see how that works later this month.

#70 5 years ago

Amazing place! Beautiful inside and out. I can't imagine doing it any better.

#72 5 years ago

Consider checking for local neon artists. That's what I did for mine. Came out fanatic, and supported a local artist.

#73 5 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

More
    So no issues with being IN a basement during an earthquake? Surely, you have experience since you state FACT...
    1000's of new homes have been built in Northridge, since the last BIG Cali quake centered in Northridge. Preventing further EQ damage would be priority, so please enlighten me on why they chose not not. Feel free to take it to PM, so we don't clutter up this awesomness that is Flynn's Arcade 2.0

Quoted from zh2oson:

said the guy without an engineering degree.

Sometimes it is hard to tell tone from a post, but you seem upset. I clearly indicated that I don't have an engineering degree. Sheesh.

Although...a quick Google search turns up an article that pretty much validates my points:

http://www.latimes.com/home/la-hm-basement-side-20150509-story.html

Look, I'm not trying to win an internet argument, so I'll move on.

#74 5 years ago
    Quoted from Waldo:

It’s actually EL wire we custom made but honestly having problems with it - it’s not even lit up in the pics. Found a neon sign off EBay. Will have to see how that works later this month.

Thanks Waldo, make sure you update this thread.

You are however in my bad books, as I showed the videos to my son last night. He now wants us to bore through the concrete slab in our house to build a basement just like yours. I'll add there are very few basements anywhere in Australia...

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chambo:

I'll add there are very few basements anywhere in Australia...

I've got one

Waldo - keep this thread updated, did you ever do a build thread (doesn't have to be here)?

#76 5 years ago
    Quoted from Waldo:

We go to Estes Park all the time, might hit you up for a tour! Probably about an hour or so away?

#77 5 years ago

Your basement is amazing. That's all I'm going to say, because its what I've been saying over and over out loud while I'm supposed to be working....

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from sleazius:

I've got one
    Waldo - keep this thread updated, did you ever do a build thread (doesn't have to be here)?

I was about to say there were certainly no basements in Penrith / Luddenham when I grew up, and you show me up with one in the neighbouring suburb!

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from thewool:

Wow... you have more money than sense, but what an amazing way to spend it. Stunning.

I disagree. His choices make all kinds of sense to me.

1 year later
    #80 4 years ago

Incredible! Be proud.

#81 4 years ago
    Quoted from c508:

That looks awesome, but what I would really like to know is how many people contributed to your “go fund me” to help you pay for it?
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/recreating-flynn’s-arcade

Wow, what a dick move!!

#82 4 years ago

oh wow! just ran across this!! Do you do tours? We're up in Boulder

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flynns-arcade-20-project/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.