You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo 2 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

Just wondering if anyone has repainted a Flying Carpet cabinet and what color they went with. I've been told magenta however under the rails on mine it looks to be a darker shade of pink.

#2 7 years ago

Maybe one of the colors in Centegrade 37 is similar perhaps lots of guys have redone that one ? My go to colors are the Montana Black Series, DickBlick carries them, Also Amazon.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/montana-black-spray-paints/?gclid=CMj336CjwNACFQtYDQod5loHIg

#3 7 years ago

I mix all my own colors but can get you what you need.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from paintpins:

I mix all my own colors but can get you what you need.

why ship paint? just post the brand & code

#5 7 years ago

I mix it myself, theres no code. I've been painting for over 20 years the last 8 doing pin cabs. Getting colors right, really right, ain't easy.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from paintpins:

I mix it myself, theres no code. I've been painting for over 20 years the last 8 doing pin cabs. Getting colors right, really right, ain't easy.

and I guess you make your own paint base?

Colorants for paint tinters (the machines) are only available to paint stores for use in computerized and manual-tinting machines. Their only use is for addition into actual paint...NOT to be used independently.
** Colorants are NOT paint.
** Colorants also have to be metered PRECISELY to re-create "color x" repetitively.
** You can blend paint colors together of course, but repeating a color is next to impossible, because your ratios will be different.
** Some colorants are kinda $pendy! I can't tell you what C2's Magenta colorant costs per quart, but it would raise your eyebrows!
Have a good one

#7 7 years ago

so if I work at a paint store I'd have access correct? If I was friends with someone that owned a paint store I'd have access correct? Lot of assumption on your end.

#8 7 years ago

Make it easy on yourself - get some Montana Gold Shock Pink. I don't have better pictures any more, but redid my cab years ago using this stuff. Don't recall what flavor of Montana Gold Yellow I used, and I think the black was a krylon flat.

photo 2 (resized).JPGphoto 2 (resized).JPG

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from paintpins:

so if I work at a paint store I'd have access correct? If I was friends with someone that owned a paint store I'd have access correct? Lot of assumption on your end.

IF you worked at a paint store YOu would have a brand and a code IF you had a friend the worked in a paint store and had access you still would have a brand and a code.... I doubt you are mixing paint without a machine. you could never get the exact same color twice.
I think you don't want to help you want to make money. you are selling paint colors on ebay correct? why would you give them away here? be up front and just state that you will sell the codes. I don't have a problem with that.

#11 7 years ago

bobnatlanta's recommendation of montana gold "shock pink" looks like a pretty decent match out of a rattle can. After a quick look online it might be a tough one to find locally. Will have to go instore to find out if they can get it. While a touch darker the montana black "punk pink" may be another option but we'll have to see.

#12 7 years ago

Codes? I match colors by eye to a Pantone swatch color book. I take the Pantone swatches to my favorite auto paint store. The ladies there match colors by eye. No reference to Pantone colors in their system they do it all by eye all they need is a good color to match it too.

Now to be sure I make sure I get enough paint in case I need some more a second time they accidentally use their other eye.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from single_player:

IF you worked at a paint store YOu would have a brand and a code IF you had a friend the worked in a paint store and had access you still would have a brand and a code.... I doubt you are mixing paint without a machine. you could never get the exact same color twice.
I think you don't want to help you want to make money. you are selling paint colors on ebay correct? why would you give them away here? be up front and just state that you will sell the codes. I don't have a problem with that.

I buy and use various (coded) colors and then mix them together myself. I also get behind the paint counter at two local stores because they've come to know me after having them splice colors for me for years. The reason I don't tell people buy these 2 color numbers and mix them 1 to3 ratio is because if they don't mix it right and then show the result someone like yourself would come along and make a mountain out of a molehill. As for selling paint? I hear from guys that have spent good money and gotten no where so buying pre mixed colors that are proven to be a dead match will save you both time and money. Sure there are rattle cans that match but you'll need a half dozen at a minimum and it'll stink to high heaven if you're not outdoors. I use water bourne oils and have even had people use a roller and get great results. I could go on but I have to go count the STACKS of money I've made off the 5 cans of paint I sell a year.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 51.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flying-carpet-cabinet-color?hl=mike240 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.