(Topic ID: 167882)

Fluorescent bulb behind back glass problem...

By PinMagnet

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I have a Stern machine with one 24 inch 18 watt fluorescent bulb behind the back glass. It went out and any new bulb just flickers once when you turn on the machine then nothing. If you had to guess, do you think the problem is in the light bracket connections on either side, a fuse, or the power supply on the board. Thanks so much.

#2 7 years ago

Do you have any other sterns to swap parts from?

#3 7 years ago

Could be the ballast. This one should work for Sam versions.

GE Lighting 68186 GEM120PH120DIY LFL Magnetic Rapid Start Ballast for 1- F20T12, F15T8, F1512 - 120V Magnetic Ballast (200H2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HMBPM8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ZxyYxbSD9P3F9

It's hard to give specific help without more details.

#4 7 years ago

Did you also replace the starter?

#5 7 years ago

I did not replace starter yet. Should I replace both? Also, am I going to get electrocuted doing this? Thanks.

3 years later
    #6 3 years ago

So, this same thing is happening to me. Replaced the starter and bulb. Flickered and then nothing.

Any resolution?

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinRam:

So, this same thing is happening to me. Replaced the starter and bulb. Flickered and then nothing.
    Any resolution?

The only other thing in the circuit is the ballast. Replace that and you should be good to go.

#8 3 years ago

The flicker is the ballast wiping out your bulb. New ballast, starter, and bulb.

#9 3 years ago

Switch it out to a direct wire led bulb

#10 3 years ago

Absolutely a blown ballast, which will blow both the bulb and the starter. It's an easy swap out with a new ballast like the one listed above, no polarity to worry about. Do that, use a new bulb and starter, and you should be good to go. If you disconnect the ballast and measure it you will find that it measures close to zero, which is shorted/blown. The new ballast will measure about 22 ohms.

Same thing happened with me on my Sega/Stern The Lost World Jurassic Park and member KenLayton helped me through it, so credit him with this info!

Here is the ballast that I bought (slightly cheaper):

https://www.amazon.com/ROBERTSON-Fluorescent-mBallast-Operates-following/dp/B00H9HKNRM/ref=sr_1_14

3 weeks later
    #11 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMagnet:

I did not replace starter yet. Should I replace both? Also, am I going to get electrocuted doing this? Thanks.

Were you able to resolve the issue? What was the fix? Don't forget to mark this thread as resolved when you're done so that others may learn!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fluorescent-bulb-behind-back-glass-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.