(Topic ID: 221264)

Flummoxed by System 6 sound issue (Blackout)

By arkuz

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by arkuz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I've scanned the forum for threads on System 6 sound problems and particularly Blackout which is the machine I'm having trouble with, but I haven't quite found a similar scenario: the background sound is intermittent or mostly not there. It might start a game with it, then it drops out on the second ball, or it starts a game with no background then it comes in when hitting a spinner. Other sounds are fine. Very weird.

Pushing the sound self-test results in what appears to be a success (a bunch of sound effects and all the words cycling). The solenoid test runs through some sounds too. Grounding the sound selection pins also results in sounds at each pin.

I understand that bulletproofing these boards should always be step number one, but I have an extra set of boards that have indeed been cleaned up that I have been swapping with to do testing. I have to swap chips of course, and even have a new set of sound ROMs. But the problem persists. I do not have a new game ROM though, would that be the culprit here?

Hoping someone has had a similar experience and can advise, thanks!

#2 5 years ago

40 pin connector?

#3 5 years ago

I had similar problems. First thing I did was bulletproof the power supply per the instructions by Vid1900.

Second, examined sound board, could not find caps for it at the time, but cleaned off (with a dry brush and then some light deoxit) on the J-connectors.

Thirdly, replaced the solenoid/driver board, and redid sockets on the MPU.

Long story short, I went through quite a bit on the system (switches, diodes, wires, reseating connectors, coils, capacitors....), and it turns out that the MPU/driver board interconnect was causing a good deal of my problems. I would reseat the driver board on top of the MPU board, and would work for a while - but the driver board was itself defective (causing random tilt, displays would blank out). I replaced both the MPU and driver board with a Rottendog MPU327 and have had no trouble since.

I haven't replaced the caps yet on the sound board but will.

#4 5 years ago

The power supply is something I have not yet tried swapping (I have a reconditioned one to try), will get to that next. The MPU/driver interconnect seems sound to me, on both my original and reconditioned boards, but will keep an eye on that, thanks.

3 weeks later
    #5 5 years ago
    Quoted from arkuz:

I've scanned the forum for threads on System 6 sound problems and particularly Blackout which is the machine I'm having trouble with, but I haven't quite found a similar scenario: the background sound is intermittent or mostly not there. It might start a game with it, then it drops out on the second ball, or it starts a game with no background then it comes in when hitting a spinner. Other sounds are fine. Very weird.
    Pushing the sound self-test results in what appears to be a success (a bunch of sound effects and all the words cycling). The solenoid test runs through some sounds too. Grounding the sound selection pins also results in sounds at each pin.
    I understand that bulletproofing these boards should always be step number one, but I have an extra set of boards that have indeed been cleaned up that I have been swapping with to do testing. I have to swap chips of course, and even have a new set of sound ROMs. But the problem persists. I do not have a new game ROM though, would that be the culprit here?
    Hoping someone has had a similar experience and can advise, thanks!

I had this very same problem on my Gorgar while I was writing Test ROMs for it. The "13-sounds" ROM helped me find that it was a cracked solder joint on one of the transistors on the driver board. Even after looking at it under a magnifying glass the crack was not visible. I reheated the joint and refreshed the solder. Problem solved!

You can download the ROMs from here: http://pincoder.reversion.ca

There is also a thread on this site where you can leave some feedback: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-williams-system-6-in-game-test-roms

Let me know how you make out!

#6 5 years ago

Cool, looks like great info. I'm still stuck and will try this out, thanks.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flumoxed-by-system-6-sound-issue-blackout and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.