7 months ago

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by Kenz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Flow vs. no Flow”

• “Flow” 15 votes
      43%
    • “No Flow” 2 votes
      6%
    • Who Cares 18 votes
      51%

(35 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

flomax01 (resized).jpg
    DC9F6BDB-8CA1-4F56-97F8-6049163AF693 (resized).jpeg

#1 7 months ago

I have been reading a lot of posts recently that basically state that a game has to have flow to be fun. This got me thinking about a few games that I have that have no flow and are really fun.

What do you think Pinside? Does a game need flow to be fun?

#2 7 months ago
    Quoted from adborto:

Does a game need flow to be fun?

Nope.

People just generally like games that have continuous motion of the ball, but some people like stop-and-go style games.

#3 7 months ago

Not neccessarily. Spectrum is fun but has no flow. TZ has little flow but can still be a blast on a well-running machine. But for a game to be really exciting and draw me in flow does help a lot (and is able to compensate for other weaknesses of the game).

#4 7 months ago

I wonder if having a flowy game in a home setting works better for more people than a stop-and-go game, where, since you've played it a billion times, waiting for the ball to come back to you becomes agony.

#5 7 months ago

No. Non-flow games can be fun too. I like having the variety of both types.

#6 7 months ago

My Queen of Diamonds doesn’t have much flow (wood rail) but it’s a nudge fest! Nothing more satisfying than bashing those targets up top and hearing that loud free game knock

#7 7 months ago

A game emphasizing flowing shots or stop-and-go can be good or bad. Just depends on who designed the shots and who wrote the rules to utilize the shots. I certainly like having some shots flow into one another, but I also appreciate a game that rewards a little patience and sharpshooting.

#8 7 months ago

if you only play flow games you miss out on a ton of ems and ss machines that are really great!

#9 7 months ago

So Richie vs. Lawlor?? Cage match!

#10 7 months ago

Flow games are very good at distracting you from your goals in the game....

#11 7 months ago

flow = Boring, because all flow layouts are pretty much the same.

Stop and go has way more options and interesting shots. If you like speed, make it steeper. Even EM's can be fast if you set them up right.

#12 7 months ago

And... to make this line of questioning even more challenging, there is unfortunately, no accord on what "flow" is or isn't:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-flow

So, you "may" want to include a biased view of what you think flow is in your first post to help navigate the inquiry.

#13 7 months ago

flow to me is on my star trek when I combo left ramp, right ramp, left orbit, warp ramp, warp ramp, warp ramp, miss, drain

"fuck why did i do that"

#14 7 months ago

FloMax...(it had to be said...)

#15 7 months ago

Always go with the flow

DC9F6BDB-8CA1-4F56-97F8-6049163AF693 (resized).jpeg
    #16 7 months ago

I’m a flow hoe...

#17 7 months ago

A game doesn't need any one thing to be fun. People love to paint themselves into corners with stupid little rules like flow, stop n go, widebodies, dmds....blah blah blah; It's so stupid and limiting. These are the same people that would profess their "love of pinball" before stating their narrow criteria.

#18 7 months ago

That is the question?

#19 7 months ago

too much flo can become obnoxious.

flomax01 (resized).jpg
    #20 7 months ago

I like to have both, a little flow and a little stop and go. What drives me nuts is the repeated chopping games. I love my MET but it does get annoying hitting the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

#21 7 months ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

too much flo can become obnoxious.[quoted image]

That guy they're pushing on us in the ads is worse.

#22 7 months ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

I like to have both, a little flow and a little stop and go. What drives me nuts is the repeated chopping games. I love my MET but it does get annoying hitting the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Sounds like you need to delve deeper into MET's great ruleset. The best thing about MET is that it has so many things to hit and strategy options for when to hit them.

#23 7 months ago

there is room for both with me
    I like drop targets, that is stop and go
    but I also like my ramp games, go the flow

#24 7 months ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Sounds like you need to delve deeper into MET's great ruleset. The best thing about MET is that it has so many things to hit and strategy options for when to hit them.

Agreed, there is a lot going on. That's why it's still a keeper even if you still have to hit the same things a dozen or more times.

#25 7 months ago

EM pinball collectors don't discuss flow. There is no such thing.

#26 7 months ago

Out of my collection. Fish tales has the best flow.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 8.99
    Lighting - Other
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Various Other Swag
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 275.00
    $ 4.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    ULEKstore
    $ 15.45
    Gameroom - Decorations
    KAHR.US Circuits
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 129.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 5,599.99
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside