Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 114 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 months ago by thekiyote
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1F900862-EB21-411E-BE18-B44FBE9AE137 (resized).png
    3EEAAB62-B834-4E74-A486-29052372298C (resized).jpeg
    7C290222-533E-4763-8483-81E46FE54E9D (resized).png
    Flo.gif
    giphy (7).gif
    IMG_7730 (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 12 months ago

I've never really had to think too hard about it. I was paying ~$1100 with a $1K non-hurricane deductible a couple of years ago. Those days are over. I got a non-renewal a couple of weeks ago on my~$1500 per year policy. Shopping for new insurance, USAA is quoting me ~$2500/yr with a $2K non-hurricane deductible and 2% hurricane deductible. That's a big difference. I've had 1 claim in 23 years, so thinking I'm going to max out my non-hurricane deductible to lower my price. Is anybody else dealing with this??

#2 12 months ago

So few insurance companies will even insure a home in Florida now. Wish I knew a few more available.

#3 12 months ago

Wow… in my over-taxed country I should be quite happy. Right about $800/yr for home insurance with extended value added (the pinballs).

#4 12 months ago
    Quoted from sterlingpinball:

So few insurance companies will even insure a home in Florida now. Wish I knew a few more available.

Thank God I'm a vet! USAA will at least give wind mitigation credits. State Farm will not...

#5 12 months ago

Where in Florida? I wish my policy was 2500 a year, I have full wind mitigation and mine is double that with a 5% hurricane deductible.

#6 12 months ago
    Quoted from ZoraShinoda:

Where in Florida? I wish my policy was 2500 a year, I have full wind mitigation and mine is double that with a 5% hurricane deductible.

You are on the brunt end of it. I'm 30 miles inland and way further north.

#7 12 months ago
    Quoted from ViperTim:

Wow… in my over-taxed country I should be quite happy. Right about $800/yr for home insurance with extended value added (the pinballs).

Primarily has to do with the extreme weather risk increase (hurricane frequency, increasing strength) in Florida due to global warming. Not all insurance in the US is so outrageous, although even here in CA the fire risk in certain areas is bumping rates up (though not to FL levels).

#8 12 months ago
    Quoted from ViperTim:

Here in Texas, I pay about $25000 a year just in property taxes for my house. On top of insurance and utilities. So for a house (yes, a nice house but still a non remarkable house in a neighborhood of thousands of houses, not some palace on the prairie) that I own free and clear, I pay more than $2000 every month just in taxes. Just to put the “the USA and TX in general is a tax paradise” in perspective.

#9 12 months ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

Here in Texas, I pay about $25000 a year just in property taxes for my house. On top of insurance and utilities. So for a house (yes, a nice house but still a non remarkable house in a neighborhood of thousands of houses, not some palace on the prairie) that I own free and clear, I pay more than $2000 every month just in taxes. Just to put the “the USA and TX in general is a tax paradise” in perspective.

Not trying to brag, but in-between you guys is AL where the property taxes are less than 10% of that! Not having been from here (IL originally), I've found this place to be a well-kept secret in terms of lifestyle/taxes. For reference, we pay about $1300/year in property taxes and live in a nice spot.

#10 12 months ago

Home Insurance is different than car insurance.
    It's not about your past claims, which indicates how safe a driver you may be, it's about future potential risks due to the location of your house.
    Also, rising construction costs, can make it more expensive for insurance companies to rebuild homes that are damaged or destroyed.

#11 12 months ago

With climate change, stronger more powerful, more frequent storms, more flooding, over development and Florida's low elevation above sea level - it is bound to cost more for insurance in Florida. This is probably just the beginning of the insurance increases.

There is also the mismanagement of the insurance industry by the state.

#12 12 months ago

I feel your pain. My homeowners insurance seems to go up by at least $500 a year, and it's pretty difficult to find another insurer. My neighbors went to AAA and say they are saving on their insurance (they had to join AAA to get the insurance but I don't think they had to be members to get a quote). I'm with Heritage and am paying $3000 a year for homeowners insurance (I'm not in a flood area, though I also carry seperate flood insurance)and $1900 a year on car insurance - on a 10 year old car - and I work from home, so I don't drive much at all. I've never (knocking on wood)had a homeowners claim or auto claim.

#13 12 months ago
    Quoted from Dogford_Studios:

^^^^^THIS!!!!

#14 12 months ago

I have a client who just bought a home in Florida. They are having a lot of issues getting it insured. Many insurance companies have left the market which has decreased competition. From what he said there is a state run insurance option but it’s not great.

#15 12 months ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Primarily has to do with the extreme weather risk increase (hurricane frequency, increasing strength) in Florida due to global warming. Not all insurance in the US is so outrageous, although even here in CA the fire risk in certain areas is bumping rates up (though not to FL levels).

I can imagine. It’s probably a lot cheaper up in Maine or similar.

Quoted from galore2112:

$25k property tax is insane.
    Over here in tax hell our property tax caps out at roughly $400. It can never be higher than that for a single property and basically all single homes reach the maximum.
    Our taxes might not be hell afterwards.

Owning a house here is actually incredibly cheap, apart from the electrical prices that has skyrocketed due to EU, Germany and France.

#16 12 months ago

I live in Tucson and was paying $1000 a year with Nationwide. Then they raised it $560 with no explanation.

When I called them they said that inflation was the cause. Inflation was at about 8% then so how do they get $ 560.

Canceled and went to Progressive back at $1000 a year again. We'll see how long that lasts

#17 12 months ago
    Quoted from ViperTim:

Over here in tax hell our property tax caps out at roughly $400. It can never be higher than that for a single property and basically all single homes reach the maximum.
    Our taxes might not be hell afterwards.
    Owning a house here is actually incredibly cheap, apart from the electrical prices that has skyrocketed due to EU, Germany and France.

And you get a much better quality of life/more services than in the States.

#18 12 months ago
    Quoted from Methos:

And you get a much better quality of life/more services than in the States.

Well everything that shines isn’t gold.
    But it could be far worse.

#19 12 months ago

TX has no income tax, normal sales tax, and (apparently) high property tax. EU has high sales tax (VAT), low property tax, ?? income tax...

The man's gonna get it one way or another.

#20 12 months ago

Dude the insurance problems in FL are insane, the rates keep going up, mine is up to 5k and it's not even great insurance.

Quoted from PinMonk:

FL's primary problem beyond the storms is the laws that were passed in FL that essentially force insurance companies to pay for complete coverage of replacing a roof for any damage sustained. After those laws were passed, it's been a huge burden on insurance companies because essentially any licensed roofer could put in a claim that an old roof was "damaged" in a storm, and they would get a new roof paid for. I know a bunch of folks that did exactly this, and even had multiple roofers over the years offer to do this for us when fixing a leak or some other roof issue. They basically get huge paydays from insurance companies, why bother fixing little thing when they can work out some easy fraud for a brand new roof. Roofers get business, clients get free roofs, everyone won....

... except it's just caused rates to continually raise and many insurance companies were buckling under the pressure and just abandoned the state. Large percentage of Floridians are stuck having to use the state run insurance which is bursting at the seams and it's prices are getting ridiculous. Our new house we bought a year ago, not a single company would cover us except one, and they wanted 8k for coverage. So yea, I was forced to stick to the government backed one.

Our property taxes are insane as well. The state is going to hell fast and our leaders here are wasting their time banning books, fighting Disney for having an opinion, and being mad at drag queens. But hey let's not do anything about sky rocketing property taxes, insurance, and housing costs

#21 12 months ago

I have a very modest home to put it mildly...but here in PA its about $600 for insurance on my place with some add on coverage for flooding and sink holes. Property (school) tax is $2700/year.

I can imagine. It’s probably a lot cheaper up in Maine or similar.

#22 12 months ago
    Quoted from metallik:

TX has no income tax, normal sales tax, and (apparently) high property tax. EU has high sales tax (VAT), low property tax, ?? income tax...
    The man's gonna get it one way or another.

Not if you go OCONUS. I'd rather be taxed hard and AT LEAST get something than be taxed little by little with annual increases and then when I go to file a claim for the first time in nearly 20 years, I'm told "well, if the damage is less than your deductible, you have to pay it".

Thr hell??? I've paid my insurance for 20+ years, and I can't get a simple fix because of some stupid technicality. Screw that.

Alot of people that have the financial means are ready to hop across the pond and are at the very minimum looking into it while comparing and contrasting the US vs other areas for living.

#23 12 months ago
    Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Our property taxes are insane as well. The state is going to hell fast and our leaders here are wasting their time banning books, fighting Disney for having an opinion, and being mad at drag queens. But hey let's not do anything about sky rocketing property taxes, insurance, and housing costs

It's much more complicated than that. You have no state income tax.

Want to see high taxes? Come visit WI or IL.

#24 12 months ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

I live in Tucson and was paying $1000 a year with Nationwide. Then they raised it $560 with no explanation.
    When I called them they said that inflation was the cause. Inflation was at about 8% then so how do they get $ 560.
    Canceled and went to Progressive back at $1000 a year again. We'll see how long that lasts

~10 years ago State Farm quoted me a little over $2K/yr and I had been paying well over a grand per year. That's when I switched and cut my bill in half. You don't want to go too cheap though. My neighbor is with one of those deny-all-claims companies.

I'm just juggling the fact that I've made one claim in the last 23 years with the idea of going with a higher deductible, while also considering the weather is getting a lot more interesting. If I'm going to have significant damage, it's probably gonna be from a hurricane and my deductible is already higher for that.

Thankfully I don't live in a flood zone, and am a little elevated compared to some of my neighbors.

Property values are frigging nuts.

#25 12 months ago

I use "Security First" insurance on an oceanfront in St. Augustine and am ok with their prices. Might be worth a look.

Quoted from mcluvin:

I've never really had to think too hard about it. I was paying ~$1100 with a $1K non-hurricane deductible a couple of years ago. Those days are over. I got a non-renewal a couple of weeks ago on my~$1500 per year policy. Shopping for new insurance, USAA is quoting me ~$2500/yr with a $2K non-hurricane deductible and 2% hurricane deductible. That's a big difference. I've had 1 claim in 23 years, so thinking I'm going to max out my non-hurricane deductible to lower my price. Is anybody else dealing with this??

#26 12 months ago

My policy went up to 8k from 3k. I let it go. My deductible was around 12k. I figure 12k and an 8k premium in one year Ill just buy my own fucking roof.

#27 12 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

~10 years ago State Farm quoted me a little over $2K/yr and I had been paying well over a grand per year. That's when I switched and cut my bill in half. You don't want to go too cheap though. My neighbor is with one of those deny-all-claims companies.
    I'm just juggling the fact that I've made one claim in the last 23 years with the idea of going with a higher deductible, while also considering the weather is getting a lot more interesting. If I'm going to have significant damage, it's probably gonna be from a hurricane and my deductible is already higher for that.
    Thankfully I don't live in a flood zone, and am a little elevated compared to some of my neighbors.
    Property values are frigging nuts.

Yea I never have filed a claim in 27 years so I'm not sure what they were thinking. Plus my home is paid for so I'm not sure why I waste my money.

#28 12 months ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

My policy went up to 8k from 3k. I let it go. My deductible was around 12k. I figure 12k and an 8k premium in one year Ill just buy my own fucking roof.

Yeah, no kidding. So you are totally self-insured?

#29 12 months ago
    Quoted from Dogford_Studios:

With climate change, stronger more powerful, more frequent storms, more flooding, over development and Florida's low elevation above sea level - it is bound to cost more for insurance in Florida. This is probably just the beginning of the insurance increases.

IMG_7730 (resized).jpegIMG_7730 (resized).jpeg
    #30 12 months ago

Dude the insurance problems in FL are insane, the rates keep going up, mine is up to 5k and it's not even great insurance.

FL's primary problem beyond the storms is the laws that were passed in FL that essentially force insurance companies to pay for complete coverage of replacing a roof for any damage sustained. After those laws were passed, it's been a huge burden on insurance companies because essentially any licensed roofer could put in a claim that an old roof was "damaged" in a storm, and they would get a new roof paid for. I know a bunch of folks that did exactly this, and even had multiple roofers over the years offer to do this for us when fixing a leak or some other roof issue. They basically get huge paydays from insurance companies, why bother fixing little thing when they can work out some easy fraud for a brand new roof. Roofers get business, clients get free roofs, everyone won....
    ... except it's just caused rates to continually raise and many insurance companies were buckling under the pressure and just abandoned the state. Large percentage of Floridians are stuck having to use the state run insurance which is bursting at the seams and it's prices are getting ridiculous. Our new house we bought a year ago, not a single company would cover us except one, and they wanted 8k for coverage. So yea, I was forced to stick to the government backed one.

You are basically correct but don't forget the insurance company's adjuster has to approve the roof replacement by inspecting it themselves.....

#31 12 months ago

You guys should move here to New York city. Besides being a modern urban paradise we don't have to deal with hurricanes so much.

#32 12 months ago
    Quoted from gjm:

You are basically correct but don't forget the insurance company's adjuster has to approve the roof replacement by inspecting it themselves.....

The roofing company rep who inspected mine used to be an adjuster. That was an interesting conversation. I don't know about replacing a newer roof completely, but he said once they get older and brittle, they are considered unrepairable and have to be replaced.

Once he showed me what to look for like zippering etc., so many homes have roof damage and they don't even now it, and never make a claim.

I was reading about one insurer in Florida. I can't remember the name, but they proactively call their customers after any significant weather to ask if they have any damage. They sell it as trying to get ahead of the scam roofers. It sounds noble. But what if the customer doesn't realize they have damage, then tells the insurer everything is fine?

#33 12 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You guys should move here to New York city. Besides being a modern urban paradise we don't have to deal with hurricanes so much.

giphy (7).gifgiphy (7).gif
    #34 12 months ago

I wish my home insurance was that cheap. It has been sky rocketing up every year for the past 3-4 years. Like 50%+ increases. Between that and my property taxes it's well over my mortgage payment. I suspect a lot of insurance companies raise premiums so much just because they don't want to insure homes in the gulf coast area. Shop around. I switched early this year. Savings were minimal but did get a much better policy. Saved more on my auto insurance which also had out of control increases.

#35 12 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Lol. https://www.thestreet.com/travel/its-only-april-and-over-10000-new-yorkers-have-already-moved-to-this-state

#36 12 months ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I wish my home insurance was that cheap. It has been sky rocketing up every year for the past 3-4 years. Like 50%+ increases. Between that and my property taxes it's well over my mortgage payment. I suspect a lot of insurance companies raise premiums so much just because they don't want to insure homes in the gulf coast area. Shop around. I switched early this year. Savings were minimal but did get a much better policy. Saved more on my auto insurance which also had out of control increases.

I’m in the same boat, which insurance companies did you go with?

#37 12 months ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Savings were minimal but did get a much better policy. Saved more on my auto insurance which also had out of control increases.

They count on us being lazy. I've got to check my current policy, but I'm pretty sure it excludes sink hole coverage. We don't really get them in my area though. USAA doesn't give you the option to exclude it, you just have a choice of types of sinkhole coverage.

#38 12 months ago

We are pretty well rounded here in Colorado. My insurance is around $2k, property tax around $5k and state income tax about 4%.

#39 12 months ago
    Quoted from gjm:

The roofers here know what to look for and say to get the adjuster on their side, i've dealt with so many folks who basically got free roofs here in FL cause of this nonsense and have spoken to roofers who explained how they will get it done. Theres always a chance an adjuster can find some reason to say no, but it's often word against word and as long as there is some evidence that can be pointed to as storm related, BOOM.

Quoted from Methos:

It's much more complicated than that. You have no state income tax.
    Want to see high taxes? Come visit WI or IL.

We have higher housing costs, higher housing and property taxes as well. So I mean whose paying more overall? I have family in WI too and when they pay a fraction of the price for their homes, their insurance is only a several hundred while he we are seeing insurance for our houses at 5k+. My best friends who live a block away pay nearly 8k for their home insurance. Property taxes are insane and keep going up, and our utilities have been getting out of control as well.

Yay no income tax, but you pay a hell of a ton more for EVERYTHING else

#40 12 months ago

It's not just Florida.... I live in a concrete 1800 sqft house in rural western Maryland not near any flood potential and we rarely have severe weather and my homeowners has nearly doubled since 2020.

#41 12 months ago

Theres always a chance an adjuster can find some reason to say no, but it's often word against word and as long as there is some evidence that can be pointed to as storm related, BOOM.

The alternative is litigation. They may as well just pay for the roof if it goes to that.

#42 12 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Yeah, no kidding. So you are totally self-insured?

Yes, I was gonna buy general homeowners but most companies wouldnt write the policy without me taking a hurricane policy too. I assume this was a strong arm attempt to refill their coffers.

#43 12 months ago

We have higher housing costs, higher housing and property taxes as well. So I mean whose paying more overall? I have family in WI too and when they pay a fraction of the price for their homes, their insurance is only a several hundred while he we are seeing insurance for our houses at 5k+. My best friends who live a block away pay nearly 8k for their home insurance. Property taxes are insane and keep going up, and our utilities have been getting out of control as well.
    Yay no income tax, but you pay a hell of a ton more for EVERYTHING else

I don't believe so. I own property in Wisconsin and Florida. FL insurance is higher I'll grant you that, but you might not be aware how much state income tax really is. Plus all of the other costs having to deal with winter (tires, hearting fuel, different set of clothes, etc), it all adds up.

Why do you think everybody is moving to those states?

#44 12 months ago

Explain please.

Person A lives in FL on the coast, House appraisal is $1M and paid for. There’s a policy covering wind, water and storm damage. Policy costs $10k per year and there is 5% deductible.

Next door lives person B with similar house. However this person has NO policy covering wind, water and storm. Therefore they have $0 payment each year and 100% deductible.

Storm rolls in and destroys both houses and both will require complete tear down to foundation and rebuilding same. Expected rebuild cost is $1M. The governor declares area a national disaster and FEMA comes in. They offer assistance to any homeowner affected.

So what happens to persons A & B?

#45 12 months ago
    Quoted from gjm:

It seems for some homeowners the pendulum has swung the other way and insurance companies are changing their adjusters’ findings and underpaying on claims.

https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/southeast/2022/12/14/699370.htm

We’re looking at retirement homes and the FL insurance stuff is a huge red flag for us.

#46 12 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

The alternative is litigation. They may as well just pay for the roof if it goes to that.

Yep and that's cost insurance companies a ton as the amount of cases they were fighting just kept mounting up.

Quoted from Methos:

I don't believe so. I own property in Wisconsin and Florida. FL insurance is higher I'll grant you that, but you might not be aware how much state income tax really is. Plus all of the other costs having to deal with winter (tires, hearting fuel, different set of clothes, etc), it all adds up.
    Why do you think everybody is moving to those states?

That's been changing actually, there has been a slow down in the flow to FL especially the South region cause of the lack of housing and the rising costs. This is where states like NC, TN, and others are starting to see big gains as FL now is becoming not worth it unless you want to live out in the sticks in Central or Northern areas. But the work is mainly situated in the cities which are becoming nightmares financially.

Quoted from JimFNB:

It seems for some homeowners the pendulum has swung the other way and insurance companies are changing their adjusters’ findings and underpaying on claims.
    https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/southeast/2022/12/14/699370.htm
    We’re looking at retirement homes and the FL insurance stuff is a huge red flag for us.

Yep, have a family friend who is an adjuster and also knows how strict the underwriters are getting too. Higher insurance, less choices, and they are getting extremely stingy on paying up. My last claim I had to put in for legit reasons kept getting denied and it was a heck of a fight.

#47 12 months ago

Think my house insurance is £150 a year but then I give the government like 40% of half my wage

#48 12 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Now I know why you are called CrazyLevi.

#49 12 months ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Storm rolls in and destroys both houses and both will require complete tear down to foundation and rebuilding same. Expected rebuild cost is $1M. The governor declares area a national disaster and FEMA comes in. They offer assistance to any homeowner affected.

So what happens to persons A & B?

Isn't FEMA just basic assistance? The may loan Person B a FEMA trailer, but I think not much more than that. Of course, those neighbors with insurance ain't gonna tolerate that FEMA trailer for long. Anybody here actually have to use FEMA?

#50 12 months ago

I think FEMA also can provide low-cost loans for rebuilding, but I think those are designed to help cover the home-owner's deductible.

If your deductible is actually 100% (because you don't have any insurance), I doubt they will just give you what would be essentially a 0% down mortgage.

There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/florida-home-insurance-fu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.