DSCF2249.JPG
DSCF2254.JPG
DSCF2248.JPG
DSCF2246.JPG
DSCF2244.JPG
DSCF2243.JPG
DSCF2242.JPG
DSCF2240.JPG
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

A customer brought in an EM Gottlieb 4 player "Surf Champ" for restoration. It belonged to the guy's parents and had been in a flood 15 years ago in which there was 5 inches of water in the main cabinet. He said they had gotten it out of the water quickly and had opened it up and dried it out right away. He said it had not been plugged in for those 15 years until just about a month ago. It did not reset so he started to "fix" it himself by cutting all the wires to the "S" (start) relay, adding a bunch of wires, adding a terminal strip, and jumping wires across the terminal strip. Naturally that did not work and then decided to bring it to an expert like me to repair it.

First thing I saw before even opening the machine was that the machine had been completely covered in WALLPAPER! It was horrible! His dad did that because he didn't like the cabinet graphics. Opening up the coin door showed it to be corroded, but not too badly. Looks like I will need to disassemble the coin door and run the metal parts through some C-L-R and Evapo-Rust. The bottom cabinet panel and the relay/score motor panel were completely covered in dried mud/silt. The stepper unit on the relay panel is all gunked up with dried silt, but not really corroded. The machine is definitely salvageable.

The playfield is in great shape but needs the usual cleaning and rubbers. The flood waters never even got close to the playfield or the backbox. I opened up the back door on the backbox and everything looked normal back there....no flood damage at all.

I'm attaching pictures of the horrid wallpaper covering and the silt covered relay panel (taken out of the machine). I have already removed that wallpaper and found absolutely beautiful condition original cabinet artwork intact. I've removed that cluster of home made wiring and returned the start relay wiring to factory spec. Next thing to do is start on scrubbing the dried silt off the wiring harness and everything else on the relay panel before washing everything.

Surf Champ front.JPGSurf Champ front.JPG Surf Champ side.JPGSurf Champ side.JPG Surf Champ relays.JPGSurf Champ relays.JPG Surf Champ stepper.JPGSurf Champ stepper.JPG Surf Champ motor.JPGSurf Champ motor.JPG Surf Champ jacks.JPGSurf Champ jacks.JPG
#2 9 years ago

Here's after I took off the crappy wallpaper.

Inside the cabinet, the tilt assembly cleaned up very well in Evapo-Rust.

DSCF2202.JPGDSCF2202.JPG DSCF2205.JPGDSCF2205.JPG DSCF2204.JPGDSCF2204.JPG
#3 9 years ago

The coin door is going to take a while due to all the corrosion. I'll be using Evapo-Rust to get these parts decent looking again.

DSCF2211.JPGDSCF2211.JPG
DSCF2216.JPGDSCF2216.JPG
DSCF2214.JPGDSCF2214.JPG

#4 9 years ago

Wow, that side art is amazing, better than most without the flood.
This is a game worth saving, very good and fun player.

I just finshed restoring a Surfer, will working on some final gameplay tech issues.

Pic:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gbt-surfer-extra-bonus-feature

#5 9 years ago

The white paint is still white! Not yellowed at all. I can't for the life of me figure out why they covered this artwork up with wallpaper. Maybe it went with their shag carpets?

Depending on how nice the weather is this weekend, I may wash the wiring harness and all the relays, score motor, and jacks to get the silt off. I need a good hot day so I can left it all dry off in the sun after washing it.

#6 9 years ago

Best game ever!

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

I can't for the life of me figure out why they covered this artwork up with wallpaper.

I can't for the life of me figure out why they thought the added wiring would fix things when the rest of the works are all covered in mud and silt. Wow.

Nice project and good luck!

#8 9 years ago

Here's the coin door after removing the rust and cleaning/polishing. I used Evapo-Rust on most of the parts and C-L-R on some parts.

DSCF2220.JPGDSCF2220.JPG
DSCF2218.JPGDSCF2218.JPG
DSCF2219.JPGDSCF2219.JPG

#9 9 years ago

Looks great! How is Evapo-rust used? Do you soak or scrub or both? Never tried it but I've been putting off my coin door because it looks like your did.

#10 9 years ago

nice work, and interested to hear about the evapo rust as well

#11 9 years ago

You soak the door parts in Evapo-Rust overnight. The parts have to be completely submerged in Evapo-Rust and with a lid on the container you have the parts in. A little scrubbing with a brass bristled 'detail' brush was necessary on the heavily rusted areas. Sometimes not all the 'shine' is there in the metal after the rust is gone so then I soak in C-L-R mixed 20% C-L-R and 80% water. Then polished up with Turtle Wax chrome polish for a nice shine.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

You soak the door parts in Evapo-Rust overnight. The parts have to be completely submerged in Evapo-Rust and with a lid on the container you have the parts in. A little scrubbing with a brass bristled 'detail' brush was necessary on the heavily rusted areas. Sometimes not all the 'shine' is there in the metal after the rust is gone so then I soak in C-L-R mixed 20% C-L-R and 80% water. Then polished up with Turtle Wax chrome polish for a nice shine.

Sweet, thanks!

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Here's after I took off the crappy wallpaper.
Inside the cabinet, the tilt assembly cleaned up very well in Evapo-Rust.

DSCF2202.JPG 33 KB

DSCF2205.JPG 20 KB

DSCF2204.JPG 22 KB

Am I seeing things or is the art kinda wavy (no pun...)? Especially the surfboard. I repainted a Surf Champ cabinet and I'm not all that happy with the results because it turned out kinda wavy too... now if they couldn't get it perfect at the factory either, maybe I'm not that far off.

#14 9 years ago

I love your restoration threads ken. thank you for sharing this. I cant wait to see the finished product.

#15 9 years ago

Took everything off the bottom relay panel. Got all the dried silt/mud off of it. I've cleaned all the screws and I can reuse about 90% of them. The ones that were badly rusted/corroded will be replaced with brand new screws.

DSCF2224.JPGDSCF2224.JPG

#16 9 years ago

Took all the wiring harness, relays, score motor, and stepper outside on my friend's driveway and started washing it all off. First picture is before starting the wash job. The power transformer is triple bagged to keep it from getting wet.

The weather was overcast, but warm so I started washing everything down with Mean Green and Scrubbing Bubbles. Got out the toothbrush to scrub the wiring harness. Now wouldn't you know it.....about halfway through the wash job, it suddenly starts raining! So I finish as quickly as I can and drag the whole works into my friend's garage and start force drying everything with a big breeze box fan.

DSCF2238.JPGDSCF2238.JPG DSCF2240.JPGDSCF2240.JPG DSCF2242.JPGDSCF2242.JPG DSCF2243.JPGDSCF2243.JPG
#17 9 years ago

Ken
Amazing job on the coin door! Thanks for all of the detailed cleaning tips.
Wally

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Took all the wiring harness, relays, score motor, and stepper outside on my friend's driveway and started washing it all off. First picture is before starting the wash job. The power transformer is triple bagged to keep it from getting wet.
The weather was overcast, but warm so I started washing everything down with Mean Green and Scrubbing Bubbles. Got out the toothbrush to scrub the wiring harness. Now wouldn't you know it.....about halfway through the wash job, it suddenly starts raining! So I finish as quickly as I can and drag the whole works into my friend's garage and start force drying everything with a big breeze box fan.

DSCF2238.JPG 36 KB

DSCF2240.JPG 37 KB

DSCF2242.JPG 50 KB

DSCF2243.JPG 35 KB

i did not realize that the entire thing could be washed in one shot like that... that's good to know...

#19 9 years ago

Awesome looks great! Did you disassemble the coin door or soak it all together in Evapo-Rust?

#20 9 years ago

I completely disassembled the coin door. It's the only way to get all of the silt/mud off of every piece.

#21 9 years ago

Very nice work!

2 weeks later
#22 9 years ago

I've got the machine fully operational now. I had to resolder EVERY light socket under the playfield to make them stay lit because the socket shells had come loose from the frames. The playfield is cleaned and rubbered. It looks great!

DSCF2244.JPGDSCF2244.JPG DSCF2246.JPGDSCF2246.JPG DSCF2248.JPGDSCF2248.JPG DSCF2254.JPGDSCF2254.JPG
#23 9 years ago

Here is the operator's decal from where the customer bought the machine 30 years ago. I've never heard of that operator before.

DSCF2249.JPGDSCF2249.JPG

#24 9 years ago

I had to disassemble and clean/lubricate every score reel on it. They were all sluggish plus the owner had taken one apart and put it together incorrectly. There was a score reset problem in that players 3 and 4 would not reset when you started a game. I traced the problem back to a wire broken off of the Z2 (players 3 & 4 reset) relay coil.

The Replay unit and the Player Unit were seized up and wouldn't budge. I had to get my needlepoint oiler and squirt a few drops of light oil into the pivots of the linkages. Then working the linkages back and forth by hand brought them back to life. I also had to disassemble the match number unit ("AS" type relay) and clean the copper foil on the two pc boards. Fortunately, this relay has connectors on it and can be unplugged.

DSCF2250.JPGDSCF2250.JPG

#25 9 years ago

wow!! that game looks like you just unboxed it. nice work ken.

#26 9 years ago

Great job! Very inspiring to see a machine come back to life like this.

#27 9 years ago

how much is this gonna cost the guy for repairs?

#28 9 years ago

Less than $1000.

#29 9 years ago

You're doing a great job Ken. I love reading threads with photos of an almost dead pin being brought back to life. Keep up the good work.

#30 9 years ago

I played a dozen games on it yesterday and it plays great!

#31 9 years ago

Ken,

Really great work and a great thread.

The guy is going to crap his pants when he sees it.

#32 9 years ago

I was able to save the original Gottlieb legs. Evapo-Rust came through with flying colors to save the day. The legs look like brand new. I'll try to get some pictures of the legs.

I've been enjoying working on this machine.

#33 9 years ago

I'm very surprised how well it cleaned up after being left flood-mucked some 15 years, especially the coin door and those banks of leaf switches, relays etc, whatafrigginmess! but at the same time it has me hoping to stumble into a project something like that for cheap to put back to running right. that one looked pretty bad initially, looks pretty sweet now, nice job!

#34 9 years ago

When I first saw this machine on the guy's truck, I thought, "What have I got myself into?" After I got into taking things apart, I discovered it wasn't that bad. The cabinet had not started to fall apart or warp like you'd normally see in most flood damaged equipment. They must have gotten it out of the water quick and started drying it out right away.

I've been most happy bringing this machine back to life. It sure is a fun machine to play!

#35 9 years ago

I have to ask, how did you get the wall paper off, and how difficult was it?

#36 9 years ago

Draped moist towels over the wallpaper and let the moisture soak into the wallpaper about 30 minutes. The first layer of wallpaper comes right off. Now you're left with the wallpaper paste on the cabinet. I repeat the treatment with moist towels again for about 20 minutes this time. Then I use Harbor Freight Plastic Spreaders # 69563 to safely scrape the remaining glue off easily without scratching the cabinet artwork.

http://www.harborfreight.com/plastic-spreader-set-3-pc-69563.html

#37 9 years ago

It's finished! Here it is all dolled up.

Disregard the funny looking sideart colors to the left of the leg in the picture of the leg. The sun was shining through the garage door on that side of the cabinet affecting color rendition of the camera. The colors are actually bright like the colors around the coin door. The legs are all ORIGINAL and were cleaned up by soaking in Evapo-Rust then polishing with Turtle Wax chrome polish.

The cabinet paint is all original too.

DSCF2265.JPGDSCF2265.JPG
DSCF2266.JPGDSCF2266.JPG
DSCF2259.JPGDSCF2259.JPG
Surf Champ leg.JPGSurf Champ leg.JPG

#38 9 years ago

Interior pictures.

Surf Champ jacks clean.jpgSurf Champ jacks clean.jpg Surf Champ clean interior.jpgSurf Champ clean interior.jpg
#39 9 years ago

That looks great, Ken! Great job, and thanks for the tips!

#41 9 years ago

You inspired me to try to work on my grand prix (williams), it was left outside for a year or more (here in Iceland). It looks horrible on the inside as on the outside. One side of the cabinet is in terrible condition but i am hoping it is just on the surface and i will have to make a new frame for the backbox and find the backglass.

But is going to be fun project

#42 9 years ago

Very nice work Ken! Surf Champ is one of my favorites it's a classic.

#43 9 years ago

You did a great job on it Ken. It looks very nice. Thank you for bringing it back to life.

#44 9 years ago

Yeh it was a challenge to clean up all the dried silt and mud. Would I do it all again? Hell YES!

#45 9 years ago

Outstanding job. You should be extremely proud of that restoration.

#46 9 years ago

that is very well done... i love these "bring 'em back from the dead" restorations...

#47 9 years ago

The only thing missing from this machine is the "Total Plays" counter (meter). It was already removed when the machine came in and I don't have any 24 volt AC counters in stock.

#48 9 years ago

this is a hell of a promotion for Evaporust. Glad I looked here. My Locomotion has some major corrosion going on everywhere, so i'm going to be doing something very similar with my restoration project. Looks like this is the way to go. Very nice work.

#49 9 years ago

Ken -
Sorry if it's been asked before, but what do you do to protect the metal after the Evaporust has removed the oxidation? I am guessing that Clear coat would be advised ?
Can't wait to give it a try, I have a Gottlieb Top card in my restoration queue that has nasty looking coin door guts.

#50 9 years ago

I use Turtle Wax Chrome Polish on the metal after using Evapo-Rust.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flood-damaged-surf-champ-restoration and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.