(Topic ID: 23093)

Fliptronincs II board blowing fuse (HELP)

By rgb635

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by LYNCH
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

907.jpg
Upper_Left_Flipper_Coil.jpg
Left_Flipper_Coil.jpg
Right_Flipper_Coil.jpg
J907.jpg
J902.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Problem: Dr. Who WPC Fliptronic II board blowing fuse #F904 which is to the left upper flipper. Fuse blows during flipper test mode or if machine is allowed to power up into normal ready mode. All other flippers function correctly.

Trouble shooting repairs: Confirmed coil tab wiring correct, Replaced coil as cautionary measure, Confirmed continuity in wires from board to coil, upgraded flipper board to Rottendog model.

Problem still present!

I am thinking possibly at this point that my J907 or J902 plug could possibly have a wire or two in the wrong pin location. I switched harnesses during my restore and no longer have the original. I attempted to cross reference the wire color pin placement with the Dr. Who manual fliptronic schematic section but honestly I could not pinpoint a confirmation or refute to my current set up. The pictures and pin# were confusing in their presentation. Could someone verify my pictures of these 2 plugs and their correct wire slot locations and / or some suggestions to tracking down this problem??? I am stomped at this point on a solution.

Thanks

J902.jpgJ902.jpg J907.jpgJ907.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Fuse doesn't blow if the J907 is unplugged?

#3 11 years ago

No Blow or function to any flippers if J907 unplugged.

#4 11 years ago

And if you power on the machine and don't touch it with everything hooked up, the fuse blows? Does the coil also energize? Or does it require you to activate the flipper for it to blow the fuse?

#5 11 years ago

Blows instantly! Not even time for an energize : (

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from rgb635:

Blows instantly! Not even time for an energize : (

You most likely have a direct short in the circuit. Since it only happens when the wires are attached, the short is probably in the wiring. You should grab your DMM and start tracing the wires to ground.

#7 11 years ago

With the Orange/Gray & Yellow/Gray wire already connected there is no fuse blow. When I then connect the middle black/blue wire to the coil, the fuse blows. I found no shorts on the actual wire route. This wire runs to J902 plug and the corresponding pin (#3) shows ground with DMM with power machine on or off. When I remove J904 (12v / 5v/ ground) supply to board the J902 pin#3 ground is also removed. Should this pin show ground? No other pins on J902 tested ground.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from rgb635:

With the Orange/Gray & Yellow/Gray wire already connected there is no fuse blow. When I then connect the middle black/blue wire to the coil, the fuse blows. I found no shorts on the actual wire route. This wire runs to J902 plug and the corresponding pin (#3) shows ground with DMM with power machine on or off. When I remove J904 (12v / 5v/ ground) supply to board the J902 pin#3 ground is also removed. Should this pin show ground? No other pins on J902 tested ground.

No, J902 pin 3 should not be grounded. See page 3-11 of your manual. J902 Pin 3 is black-blue, the power wire that runs the upper left flipper. The orange/Gray is connected to J902 pin 1, and is for hold power for the coil. At this point, I would test the impedance of your flipper coil between the middle pin (black / blue wire) and the other lug on the coil (not the orange / gray).

Your pinout for J902, according to your manual page 3-11 should be:
p1 - Orange-Grey
p2 - N/C (no connect)
p3 - Black-Blue
p4 - N/C (used if upper right flipper existed)
p5 - N/C
p6 - N/C (used if upper right flipper existed)
p7 - Orange-Blue
p8 - N/C
p9 - Blue-Gray
p10 - N/C
p11 - Orange-Green
p12 - N/C
p13 - Blue-Violet

Your J907 runs the 4 high power 50v lines. They are doubled up and should be:
P1/P2 - Gray-Yellow - Fuse F901, Upper left flipper
P3 - N/C
P4/P5 - Blue-Yellow - Fuse F902, Upper right flipper (no connect for you)
P6/P7 - Gray-Yellow - Fuse F903, Lower left flipper
P8/P9 - Blue-Yellow - Fuse F904, Lower right flipper

Based on your pictures and the manual, your J907 does not look right to me. I'm having a hard time telling which side is pin 1 and which is pin 9. Look on the board and see how it lines up. But suppose the left side in your picture is pin 9, then you'd have P8 and P9 ok with blue-yellow. But that means that you have pins 5 and 6 connected with a pair which bridges a circuit. Those Gray-Yellow should be moved to pins 6 and 7 not 5 and 6.

Also, F904, according to the manual page 3-11 is for your lower right flipper, not your upper left flipper. Upper left flipper should be F901. I think possibly the cross wiring may be your issue on pins 5 and 6 of F907. Let me know.

#9 11 years ago

I was thinking also that F907 was incorrectly wired. I rewired the plug correctly using your instructions and confirmed this with the manual as well. Upon power up fuse 901 now blows instantly and the left lower flipper energizes after the machine wake-up test cycle completes or upon entering manual test mode. If I disconnect the upper left coil 901 fuse does not blow but lower left flipper still energizes instantly upon entering manual test mode. Man this is intense....I have been able to solve every other issue (and there were several) but this has me stomped. What do you think now???

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from rgb635:

I was thinking also that F907 was incorrectly wired. I rewired the plug correctly using your instructions and confirmed this with the manual as well. Upon power up fuse 901 now blows instantly and the left lower flipper energizes after the machine wake-up test cycle completes or upon entering manual test mode. If I disconnect the upper left coil 901 fuse does not blow but lower left flipper still energizes instantly upon entering manual test mode. Man this is intense....I have been able to solve every other issue (and there were several) but this has me stomped. What do you think now???

I now think you have two separate grounding issues caused by cross wiring. My guess is the transistor driver that controls the lower left flipper is shorted on and needs to be replaced. You can test it by using the dmm. See if the tip metal has continuity to the ground plane on the board.

For the fuse f901 blowing, I still think there is a short in the wiring. The cross wiring could have blown the coil or coil diode. Are you sure the coil wires aren't mixed up? That would cause havoc also. I'd check coil impedance and verify the diode.

#11 11 years ago

Is it possible that a bad coil diode took out a transistor on the original board, as well as the replacement board, before the coil was replaced, which now has masked the original problem?

#12 11 years ago

I am going to replace the coil diodes on both left flippers and also check the transistors on the Rottendog board. I sent the original board to Clive because even after I replaced the Q5 transistor the same problem occurred. Here are pictures of the coil wiring and the 907 plug after correcting the wire pin locations(top pin is #1). What should the coil Impedance read on the DMM?? Thanks Mark and also you too John for the input. The 907 plug was definitely wrong so Im thinking now its a matter of finding what has been damaged or re-damaged as a result and correcting it before it repeats. The rottendog components look much beefier than the OEM board but I guess they can fry too. Let me start checking...

Right coil Right_Flipper_Coil.jpgRight_Flipper_Coil.jpg
Left coil Left_Flipper_Coil.jpgLeft_Flipper_Coil.jpg
Upper left coil Upper_Left_Flipper_Coil.jpgUpper_Left_Flipper_Coil.jpg
907 Plug 907.jpg907.jpg

#13 11 years ago

UPDATE: Q5 & Q1 transistors on new board damaged. DMM shows 0 on all 3 legs. These are MOSFET transistors so I have placed an order with Great Plains Electronics. R5 & R1 Resistors test Ok. Upper flipper coil diodes bad, removed and checked coil resistance=OK , new diodes installed. Lower left flipper coil diodes test ok but coil overheated and sleeve now un-removable. Coil replaced with new coil. Will update once transistors arrive and have been installed in new board. Hopefully this will solve the problem Thanks guys!!!!!

#14 11 years ago

IMO, the solution to your problem

1) Verify the wiring of J902. Perhaps find another DW owner to verify wire colors on J902, since the colors don't seem to match the manual

2) Replace the diodes on all flipper coils, and make sure the wiring is in the correct orientation as well as the bands on the new diodes

3) Make sure all driver transistors are good on fliptronics board

4) Hook it back up and let er rip

#15 11 years ago

Great suggestions John, I will switch out the diodes on the right flipper also and search for a J902 match. Everything else you suggested is done! Thanks a bunch.

#16 11 years ago

I listed the 902 colors above. Does your wiring harness match that?

#17 11 years ago

Damn you sure did!!! I was so caught up in this other stuff I forgot... Yep it's an exact match!! Were good there.

#18 11 years ago

Update: Received MOSFET transistors from Great Plains Electronics. Replaced Q5 & Q4 on Rottendog board. Replaced all diodes on all flipper coils. Confirmed valid fuses. Installed board and confirmed all connections. Prayed.......Powered on machine, no fuse problems but left lower flipper energized after self check mode completed all other flippers normal. Rechecking all connections I unplugged J905 (opto board connector) and left lower flipper De-energized. Hmmm.... Unplugged Left flipper button opto board and replugged J905 no change. Well further investigation found a slightly bent flipper opto blade that was allowing only the lower flipper opto section to energize as if using the "ball cradle" tactic or slightly pushing the flipper button. Straightened out the blade and problem resolved. This obviously was a problem along with the miss-wired J907 plug that took out the transistors. Wow what a challenge this was but great, great learning session!!! Thanks again Markmon & John.

2 years later
#19 9 years ago

bonjour

je suis francais excusez moi je ne parle pas anglais

il y a un an j'ai acheter à jamescardona la rom jeu
ou il a creer dans le menu du jeu une connexion shaker
je voudrais installer dans mon flipper
pouvez vous m'aider a trouver ce materiel et la procédure pour le branchement

en attente d'une réponse de votre part
merci

bien cordialement

jean claude lynch

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

£ 110.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fliptronincs-ii-board-blowing-fuse-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.