(Topic ID: 40889)

Fliptronics II board: PinLED vs Rottendog?

By pintaculous

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by bcraft
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I want to try a new fliptronics II board in my STTNG to prove to myself once and for all that not being able to consistently make the delta ramp is solely a matter of skill, which is seeming more and more likely. (Been through everything mechanical and electrical except the fliptronics board itself: optos, connectors, flipper rebuild, yada yada).

The choices seem to be PinLED and Rottendog. Experience with either, anyone? Very little in the forums about fliptronics boards.

Many thanks.

#2 11 years ago

Both will get the job done and both make great replacements. Rottendog boards are self serviceable because they use through hole components. They are also based in the US and Jim Knight has great support. PinLED boards are not as easily serviced because of surface mounted components. Because of these components the boards are more efficient and less prone to failure.

#3 11 years ago

Should also have asked if anyone with either board has noticed an increase in flipper power. The PinLED folks actually advertise that, but seems like Rottendog does not.

#4 11 years ago

Going through same as you... installed Rottendog, absolutely no difference... still glad I got it though.

#5 11 years ago

Thanks, DareDevly. Hope you get it sorted out also. Probably will order a PinLED board tonight. ebay, directly from the manufacturer, seems to be the only source, shipped from Europe. But I was hoping someone who has one would chime in about their power claim.

#6 11 years ago

I just worked on a STTNG that had the same issue. Rebuilt the flippers and making the ramp is a breeze. Make sure that the flipper coils are the correct type.

#7 11 years ago

I would avoid Rottendog stuff, they are known to cause issues.

#8 11 years ago

Not really sure what issues are caused. Jim pretty much takes the original schematics and updates the old with the new. PinLED and Xpin are complete re-designs.

#9 11 years ago

Well Rottendog stuff is notorious for using incorrect components for the application, they DON'T follow the schematics exactly. I had a friend who installed a Rottendog CPU board and things stopped working and fuses were blowing. Just a word of caution.

#10 11 years ago

I have the Rottendog MPU327 (1 piece replacement for mpu & driver boards) on my Flash and based on experience with that would have no problem recommending Rottendog.

2 months later
#11 10 years ago

pintaculous - have you tried the PinLED fliptronics II board? Did it increase flipper power? I'm having the same issues with the upper flipper in sttng and looking for a solution (I'm slowly going through previous posts for this issue - rebuilding the flipper didn't help). Thanks!

#12 10 years ago

I've got a RottenDog Fliptronics II board and it works fine although the screen printed labels for the flipper switches and cabinet switches are reversed...

#13 10 years ago

I cleaned the flipper optos and see a big improvement! Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 63.95
$ 15.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 64.99
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fliptronics-ii-board-pinled-vs-rottendog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.