(Topic ID: 122012)

Fliptronic Upgrade For Early Solid State Bally Games

By applejuice

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3639.jpg
    IMG_3638.JPG
    #1 9 years ago

So, i've been working on another project alongside my others since the pinball play expo show back in october last year. I've kept this one quiet until now as i just got the final bugs and issues straightened out and have a basic proto working.

The idea came from chats and discussions with my friends who have early Bally games and who played my arduino based supersonic pinball table. The idea was to find a way to upgrade the flipper control of early bally games and give the flipper and their response a little more kick and bite, but without having to change the flipper mechs, power requirements, or buttons.

So, i have created a board that can be retro fitted into existing bally power driver boards by replacing the flipper relay. This board is cpu controlled reading the switch button inputs, performing switch debouncing and in turn driving the flipper coils via 2 mosfet transistors. This gives the flippers a little more snap as all the power is sent to the flipper straight away. It also means the flipper buttons will no longer wear out, as they are now low voltage not high voltage ground drives.

Further more, another feature of having a cpu controlled board and an idea i have is you can have various 'party mode' settings built in a dip switch options For example:

SW1: Reversed Flippers
    SW2: Timed Flippers
    SW3: Weak Flippers
    SW4: Double Flippers

Here's some pics of my prototype.

IMG_3639.jpgIMG_3639.jpg
    IMG_3638.JPGIMG_3638.JPG

Please let me know if you would be interested in such a board for your games?

I don't have a fixed price yet, but i am aiming for around £40 - £50 plus any vat and shipping to your country. The next stage of development will be to get a nice neat pcb layed out and made that will plug into the existing driver board. As with all my projects it will be a neat affair and look factory.

#2 9 years ago

Interesting idea. I think it will all depend on how much modification to the existing wiring will be required. Based on your photo, it obviously doesn't just use the old connections of the Flipper Enable relay.

Also, I hope the plan is to switch out the original flipper button switches with Gold Contact leaf switches (if not optos) as the old Tungsten points won't perform too well with low voltage digital inputs.

In all honesty, I wouldn't think this retrofit was even necessary. I never had a problem with the strength and response of the Classic Bally DC flippers until they came along with the Linear design. In fact, when freshly shopped, they seem to destroy most game parts due to their strength.

#3 9 years ago

I'm interested if it will work in a Sys 11 game.

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Interesting idea. I think it will all depend on how much modification to the existing wiring will be required. Based on your photo, it obviously doesn't just use the old connections of the Flipper Enable relay.

The board will fit into the old flipper relay position and there will be no wiring modifications. The pics are just to show the proto using vero board, not a final design.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fliptronic-upgrade-for-early-solid-state-bally-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.